Will there be a 3060?

x509

2[H]4U
I do need to upgrade my graphics card, and settled on nVidia because Adobe seems to favor nVidia over AMD for GPU enhancements to Lightroom and Photoshop. That said, i'm not a gamer so FPS isn't an issue for me, and I do have a budget of $400 max for a 3-fan model (for quiet operation.) Can I realistically expect a 3060? I don't need the extra oomph of a 3070 or 3080. I expect that such a card won't be part of the inital announcement for 3000 series cards.

:)

Last edited:
I'm sure that the Ampere lineup will encompass the full product stack, top-to-bottom. But I would expect the 3060 to launch sometime next year. All part of NVIDIA's strategy to get you to either spend more money than you otherwise would, or buy old inferior inventory to clear stock. :)

There will almost certainly be a 3060-like card at some point, but it's hard to say when. I'd be shocked if it's available before March-ish of 2021.

If you need a new graphics card, I say just buy one now.

Right, it's not like the 2060 Super is a slouch for performance., and 8gb should be plenty of future performance in CAD work...that's right in your price-range.

Yes, but as others have said it won't be out at launch. So you are looking at late 2020 or early to mid 2021 before it is out.

btw what are you running now?
An old 660 Ti, but I have an ASUS X570 chipset ROG Strix-E board and an AMD 3900X (and now with a Sabrent NMVe Rocket 1 TB.) I want to take advantage of the PCIE-4 for my new vid card. I tend to keep hardware 4-5-6 years between major upgrades. Also, I had been interested in an AMD RX 5600XT until I read about all the driver issues.

I also read that Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop, which I use all the time, tend to run better on nVidia hardware because Adobe seems to favor nVidia. Recent releases of Lightroom make much more use of the GPU.

An old 660 Ti, but I have an ASUS X570 chipset ROG Strix-E board and an AMD 3900X (and now with a Sabrent NMVe Rocket 1 TB.) I want to take advantage of the PCIE-4 for my new vid card. I tend to keep hardware 4-5-6 years between major upgrades. Also, I had been interested in an AMD RX 5600XT until I read about all the driver issues.

I also read that Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop, which I use all the time, tend to run better on nVidia hardware because Adobe seems to favor nVidia. Recent releases of Lightroom make much more use of the GPU.
If you want pcie 4.0 you could always pick up a cheap 5500 XT for $225 ;). Seriously though, uses you want to upgrade twice you have a bit of a wait for a 30-0. Like others said, probably sometime mid Q1 next year, but it's just wild guessing right now. Good news is by the time a 3060 comes out we'll have a much better idea on $/perf of ampere and rdna2.

If you want pcie 4.0 you could always pick up a cheap 5500 XT for $225 ;). Seriously though, uses you want to upgrade twice you have a bit of a wait for a 30-0. Like others said, probably sometime mid Q1 next year, but it's just wild guessing right now. Good news is by the time a 3060 comes out we'll have a much better idea on $/perf of ampere and rdna2.
Sounds good. That way I can get a speed bump right away with Lightroom. I'll look in the ForSale forum.

I had black screens in the past with AMD GPU's in Lightroom, never a hitch with Nvidia.

It's one reason why AMD is unfortunately out for me until there has been a long proven problem free period with Adobe products.
Saving a few bucks is not worth it in this scenario, at least not for me.

Sounds good. That way I can get a speed bump right away with Lightroom. I'll look in the ForSale forum.
For sale would be a good way to go if you just need ant something to hold you over until new cards arrive. I've seen RX 580's go for $100 and less sometimes if your quick. Not sure what models work well with Lightroom. I was half joking with the 5500xt, it's just the cheapest (retail) card that supports pcie 4.0. That doesn't mean it's a great card, so do look up some benchmarks for your uses before plopping down any cash!

I had black screens in the past with AMD GPU's in Lightroom, never a hitch with Nvidia.

It's one reason why AMD is unfortunately out for me until there has been a long proven problem free period with Adobe products.
Saving a few bucks is not worth it in this scenario, at least not for me.
+1. I guess you could call it the "nVidia Lightroom stability tax." Sometimes you have no choice but to pay The Man. :censored:

word is full top to bottom this round so 3050 is even happening

Reactions: x509
like this
Is there a specific information about a 3050? Specs? Pricing? Availability? My "soft budget" is $350.

We only have rumored release dates for 3060 (November). I would expect 3050 sometime early next year.

~$350 will probably get you a 3060 at release.

I'm actually thinking it could drop to 300. I'm assuming they stay on 192-bit bus (and the costs of GDDR6 have fallen sharply since release, and the die size will be much smaller).

I'm expecting a $50 to $100 off Turing for higher-end cards (because 7nm is not the cutting-edge process node it was for Pascal, and GDDR6 memory has now universally replace the 5, it's so cheap). It's either that, pr we see a doubling of VRAM (and similar prices to Turing)

Last edited:
There must be. The 2060/2060s already have trouble with 2K resolution in some games and that will get even worse, once next gen games start releasing.

There must be. The 2060/2060s already have trouble with 2K resolution in some games and that will get even worse, once next gen games start releasing.

I still consider x60s to be 1080p cards in new titles. Mainstream cards for mainstream resolutions. Doubt that will change with Ampere especially when next gen games come around.

Release price pattern:

GTX 960: $200
GTX 1060: $300
RTX 2060: $350

Following this pattern. I expect the RTX 3060, will start at $400.
That price patern would make the 3060 $375 :p we shall see though. I feel the $300-350 range is a big market, so I expect them to place something in there.

Yuck, if they put the 50 series above $250 it better be able to raytrace 1080p @60 fps(dlss quality is ok).

1050ti was $140, and the 1650ti was ~$185. I guess we can wait and see.

But 16 series was the poverty series without RTX features.

2060 was $350, 1660 was ~$220 (significantly less than the 1060 release).

Here I expect the 3050 series will be full RTX and with a full price to match.

Back