• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Widespread Zune Failures?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
A handful of you sent me e-mail this morning saying that your 30GB Zunes locked up during boot up and that you were unable to turn them off or reset them. Gizmodo reports widespread complaints but wondered out loud if it could be a hoax. To verify, I took my son's 30GB Zune and turned it on only to be met with the exact same problem everyone else is having so it is no hoax. I predict a customer service nightmare once the help lines are open today.
 
Both mine and the wifes are both affected, annoying I wonder what the fix is?
 
LOL I was reading the front page of hardocp when my manager came over and plopped down his 30gb Zune...
 
my zune 30 works fine, it's one of the first gens though, thank you live search club!
 
A handful of you sent me e-mail this morning saying that your 30GB Zunes locked up during boot up and that you were unable to turn them off or reset them. Gizmodo reports widespread complaints but wondered out loud if it could be a hoax. To verify, I took my son's 30GB Zune and turned it on only to be met with the exact same problem everyone else is having so it is no hoax. I predict a customer service nightmare once the help lines are open today.

Hate on Apple some more, Steve. :D
 
Its only zune 30's with the latest firmware update that are affected apparantly, i guess it pays not to update sometimes
 
weird though, it thinks the time is 12:06am, it's totally 8:22 here
 
30GB Zune owner, Brown Baby!, exact same problem.

Latest firmware, powered on for the trip to work, and was greeted with the screen in the picture.

The battery finally died while it sat on my desk at work. I suppose we see what happens when I head home and plug it in to the car charger?

-Jelifah

I can't believe this is a widespread problem, reminds me of the VMWares ESX update drama a couple months ago.
 
lemme turn it off and back on, see what happens
 
so i changed the time to 8:25, held the down and back button til it turned off, turn it back on, and it works, but the time is messed up again. playing hexic as we speak
 
hahah someone hasn't check the firmware counter code for overrunning :D
 
i jinxed myself, i plugged the zune into my computer to charge, zune software comes up, zune is dead now, this sucks.
 
Two Frozen Zunes here as well. I'm not to worried about it there will be a fix
 
opened mah zune up, unplugged the battery, plug it back in, same result. what did i ever do to you, MS??? why do you treat me this way??
 
Mine and mmy wife's are voth toast. This sucks. I use this thing every day.
 
Wonder is it is due to '08 being a Leap Year? This is the 366th day of '08. :confused:
 
I need to try mine when I get home today. I have already had it replaced twice under warranty, 1st gen 30GB originally bought off Woot.

1st one - battery would last about 15 minutes
2nd one - connector died so it wouldn't charge or communicate
 
ZSOD

there was a post that someone fixed theirs by unplugging the battery, this did not work for me
 
I might reget this but im going to go turn on the gf's just for shits. Dont wanna be left out.
 
Wonder is it is due to '08 being a Leap Year? This is the 366th day of '08. :confused:

That makes a lot of sense seeing as how they all bricked at the same time (when the date changed), I had forgotten about it being a leap year
 
It's definitely due to the date. I'm sure MS will have a fix out soon.

Seems that Zune 120's aren't affected as mine is ok.
 
I'll freak out if it doesn't work tomorrow, as I think the 366 day year is a good guess at the problem.

Still loving my Zune. Bought for $75 from Amazon last year
  • The FM Tuner is great for the gym
  • It plays video
  • Free updates = free games!
  • A subscription service that is actually decent.

Panic will set in tomorrow, or next Monday when I come back to work, if it doesn't work. Until then I'll just chill and hope for Microsoft freebies as an apology.
 
Mine is working fine, but I haven't updated it to 3.1 yet. I actually haven't even turned it on since 3.1 came out.
 
I found this hard to believe until I turned mine on. Just what the hell is going on here? Does it really have to do with it being a leap year? ;_;
 
Just grabbed my 30 gig Zune out of the car, it too is bricked. Damn you MS!
 
I also have a brick. Seems pretty widespead. What a mess this is going to be.
 
Mine bricked too. I don't see how it can be fixed without having to send it in to Microsoft. Letting the battery drain and plugging it in doesn't work and resetting the battery doesn't work either. I paid $250.00 for it at launch and it has been flawless up until now. I will gladly accept a 120G Zune for my trouble.
 
ROFL!! I was sitting here reading this, and all of the sudden down the hallway comes "MOTHER FUCKING POS HASN'T WORKED ALL DAY!! *slam* GODDAMNIT!"

Yeah my co-worker's Zune hasn't worked all day apparently. He's an angry guy too. :D
 
That is why I use Sansa Fuse 8GB (+8GB Micro SDHC)... it still works great! :p.... It does sound like a calender bug of some sort. Hopefully it will fix itself when the calender roles over tomorrow. If not then it sounds like MS is going to have some work cut out for them to fix this. At least it sounds like only one model is effected. I do know a few people with Zunes, but they are the larger 80GB ones or the smaller flash ones.
 
Add another brick to the pile. I discovered mine on the way out the door, it was a long drive in listening to regular radio.
 
Hate on Apple some more, Steve. :D

???????

How is this an Apple story? My iPod Touch is fine, hasn't had a problem.


...oh wait, if you report the news (note the word "report") you're an Apple "hater." Report on good news for Apple...I'm an Apple hater. Report on a Microsoft problem and...I'm a Apple hater. WHat the?!?! :rolleyes:

I guess you can't make fanboys happy regardless what the news is :(
 
Another confirmation of the problem, from Mexico.

Zune is the best portable player I've had, hope this get fixed quickly.
 
Back
Top