• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Widespread Zune Failures?

This blows...I love my Zune and all I wanted to do was listen to some music at work today because absolutely no one is in the office today. GRRRR oh well. I'd rather have a bricked Zune than a working ipod lol.
 
??????? How is this an Apple story? My iPod Touch is fine, hasn't had a problem. *snip* I guess you can't make fanboys happy regardless what the news is :(

Ummm, your sarcasm meter might need a tune-up. Or maybe mine does... Anyhow, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad i have an iTouch.
 
I love my Zune. It was working fine yesterday, but I won't have a chance to check it out until this evening. Updated the firmware about 3 months ago when I built the new computer, and I think it's a G1 30 gig'er. Hope I'm not impacted by this...
 
Great my Zune took a dump as well, anybody else notice if you hold your Zune player right next to your ear you can hear this buzzing sound? Could it be the hard drive trying to hard to boot or is it Microsoft secret signal to take over the world lol :D?
They better offer me a new shinny 120 gig Zune ! :mad::rolleyes:
 
???????

How is this an Apple story? My iPod Touch is fine, hasn't had a problem.


...oh wait, if you report the news (note the word "report") you're an Apple "hater." Report on good news for Apple...I'm an Apple hater. Report on a Microsoft problem and...I'm a Apple hater. WHat the?!?! :rolleyes:

I guess you can't make fanboys happy regardless what the news is :(

I think he was referring to the constant apple bashing that occurs here. In other news, can Microsoft release a hardware product that doesn't self destruct?
 
That buzzing sound is the hdd. So, as we all wait for the battery to die, we are also getting to enjoy some added hdd wear and tear.

Forget calling tech support. The lines are jammed and there is a ridiculously long hold time according to the Zune's own forums. Not much they can do over the phone anyway but log your complaint an listen to some irate customers.

For those of you with legal experience, would this issue transcend warranty expiration? The problem is: a) caused by Microsoft, via an official update; b) widespread to an entire release of devices (G1 Zune 30 running 3.1) rather than limited to a small batch; c) potentially damaging to the device due to hard drive wear during the locked boot cycle and battery life during the forced drain.

At worst, I make a few phone calls and get a gently used Zune80 or 120 on the cheap. At best, there's a software fix coming that includes a free month or so of ZunePass for our troubles. I'm not panicking. Yet.
 
Engadget is reporting this too. Interesting. They say MS is "looking into it." Quite an overt form of planned obsolescence, isn't it?
 
I guess Microsoft had to squeeze just one more bug out of 2008 lol geez they can't catch a break. I hope they find a fix soon. I wanna listen to some music!
 
I'm very curious as to how they're going to fix it since now it doesn't register as plugged into the pc and the Zune software doesn't seeit.
 
One of the gizmodo commenters mentions opening it up and temporarily removing the battery power. Just did it and it's working alright so far, though some other commenters also say it's temporary. So if you're really impatient, you can try that; also cleaned some pocket lint out of mine. :S
 
I'm very curious as to how they're going to fix it since now it doesn't register as plugged into the pc and the Zune software doesn't seeit.

I guess they are going to have to probe the USB ports but even then is the zune going to respond?
 
One of the gizmodo commenters mentions opening it up and temporarily removing the battery power. Just did it and it's working alright so far, though some other commenters also say it's temporary. So if you're really impatient, you can try that; also cleaned some pocket lint out of mine. :S

When you try and sync it will brick it again, but I wonder if you change the date on your PC to Jan 1st 2009 before you try and sync if it would work
 
Sorry for the double post but I don't see a way to edit mine.

The commenter also says to remove two connectors: you only need to remove the right one. The left one is for the control wheel. google a guide imo.
 
I'm very curious as to how they're going to fix it since now it doesn't register as plugged into the pc and the Zune software doesn't seeit.

I was wondering the same thing...How can they fix it if the thing won't do anything? Idk...there must be some sort of work around...
 
When you try and sync it will brick it again, but I wonder if you change the date on your PC to Jan 1st 2009 before you try and sync if it would work

Sounds like a good idea, but I cba to change my clock to wrong times. :X

Anyone else?
 
Mine is dead also. It was using an old firmware, the last one before they made the menu text large.
 
My 30gb is locked too. :mad: I'm wondering if they will able to write a firmware update if the device can't even get past booting.... Guess we will just have to see.
 
I'm betting Microsoft will have everyone load special software that will reformat their zune and replace it with working firmware.
 
Add me to the locked up 30gig Zunes.

I wonder why it is doing it this morning, I don't think I have updated in the last week or so.
 
And yes, if the thing can still turn on, then it's possible to load software on it.

The firmware isn't connecting, but you can still remove the firmware.
 
I wonder if they will magiclly work tommorrow?

Has anyone actually tried to change your date then sync your bricked zune?

I have an 80 and it worked just fine this morning. However I haven't synced in a few days.

Damn that really sucks for anyone with a 30GB. Who knows, maybe microsoft will give you all free ugprades if they can't fix it somehow.
 
I just tried unplugging the battery and booting it up. No luck! Same deal, the loading bar gets stuck at 100%.
 
if it is really a calendar date thing, i presume turning it on tomorrow will be just fine.
 
lame, my mom's just stopped as well, huntington ny. i got it at a pawn shop in detroit, which doesnt give out warrantys, in case your curious.
 
wow, this is epic.
this will be remembered for a long long time.

(dont own a zune, dont own an ipod)
 
I seem to remember back in the Y2K days that this date in 2008 was also a crucial date to test for back all those years ago.

I guess some of the Zune coders were just well..kids back then. Seriously I guess its a bug in one of the chips in the 30 that conflicts with the firmware. One is saying one thing and one another. hnece why the 80/120's are fine.

I look forward to getting my Zune30 back from the dead tomorrow. I will plug it back in at 1am.

Happy new year!
 
The big Z30 failure thread in the zune forum is over 110 pages already.
 
Back
Top