• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Widespread Zune Failures?

I guess all 5 Zune owners should be pretty mad.

mmm ipod fanboyism

it's been said and i agree

I'd rather own a bricked Zune than touch an ipod.

I was so proud of these three chicks in my office, all originally wanted an ipod, one got the sandisk fuse, one got that recert 30gb zen, and the other got the 120gb zune.
 
wow, check out what this guy said over the official forum:

i have had my zune for 3 years (it is the original 30g) and it has worked flawlessly until today. i believe the zunes freezing was somthing planned or mistakenly programed into the hard drive because neither my zune nor computer have been connected to the internet in over a year, therefore it cannot be somthing that has recently been downloaded to my zune. i am only able to write this because im at my friends place using his computer
 
You know, you argue that he's a fanboy then you make that statement :p

ow pwned.

i know i know

actually for the bus ride to work i use a sandisk. The zune is for in the car

the zune earned my respect when that stocks guy took a bat to it and couldn't break it.

Its the whole Icult that gets me is all, Hate on microsoft for the sake of it...
 
I guess all 5 Zune owners should be pretty mad.

HILARIOUS....not :eek:

But seriously, glad I went with a flash based Zune. Because of the deals MS had on those 30GB ones to clear them out of inventory, LOTS of people have them. They are very good players tho, better built and much better interface than the iPod, imop. (I've owned iPod, Creative Zen Xtra, Sansa, along w/ Zune)
 
You know, you argue that he's a fanboy then you make that statement :p

Seriously. I personally don't care for Apple, MS, or anyone else. I just laughed when I saw a front page article on the Zune. It's not every day that you even hear about the Zune.
It's like seeing an article on Everquest 2.
 
Seriously. I personally don't care for Apple, MS, or anyone else. I just laughed when I saw a front page article on the Zune. It's not every day that you even hear about the Zune.
It's like seeing an article on Everquest 2.

i play everquest 2 also ><

i guess i'm just in the antisocial club :(
 
Ok, UPDATE: I just tried unplugging my battery again, booted it up, and it works now. I'm hesitant to plug it into my computer but I guess testing it couldn't hurt. For those of you willing to open up the Zune, it's a very easy process if you don't want to sit around and wait for Microsoft.
 
Sounds like heads are gonna roll at Microsoft tomorrow. :D Lulz

My old Rio Karma and Cowon iAudio X5 are both still alive and fully operational, although their batteries are really showing their age. Best portable audio players ever made IMO.
 
One of the gizmodo commenters mentions opening it up and temporarily removing the battery power. Just did it and it's working alright so far, though some other commenters also say it's temporary. So if you're really impatient, you can try that; also cleaned some pocket lint out of mine. :S

Yeah. Be glad you don't have an iPod.. you know. Permanent and soldered in batteries and all that.

MS needs to stop making hardwares...

and "M$" trolls need to realise that they look like idiots any time they say something. The Zunes are based off the Toshiba Gigabeat (G1 certainly is) and is manufactured by them.

Now, if this were to happen to an iPod... Ah, fuck it, fanboys don't know any better either way.
 
wow, check out what this guy said over the official forum:

Thats not really surprising. I doubt it would have been a firmware issue as some people have already stated they haven't upgraded to the newest one.

Like it has been said, it is probably just some flaw that it can't handle the date or something. Or they have all been programmed with some self destruct on today's date. Either way, it is some flaw that will most likely effect every single 30GB zune out there regardless if you have v1 of the firmware or v3.1.
 
Yeah. Be glad you don't have an iPod.. you know. Permanent and soldered in batteries and all that.
.

Hate to break this to you, but to reset an iPod, you hold down two buttons and it resets (center button and the top menu button). Also, if it did ever brick, you can force it into Disk mode to do a recovery (center button and play button). No battery removal necessary. Plus, on the board of th disk models, its a two pin wire lead to the board. takes 10 seconds to disconnect and reconnect.

Now, lets stop all the hatin on MS and Apple and move on and get the problem fixed. ;)
 
Thats not really surprising. I doubt it would have been a firmware issue as some people have already stated they haven't upgraded to the newest one.

Like it has been said, it is probably just some flaw that it can't handle the date or something. Or they have all been programmed with some self destruct on today's date. Either way, it is some flaw that will most likely effect every single 30GB zune out there regardless if you have v1 of the firmware or v3.1.

Some reports saying Zunes that hasn't been updated in over a year are not having this issue, and that all signs point to a date overflow error within synching, as this is a leap year. The bug probably got introduced within the past year of firmwares. 366 days = -1 is the leading theory. Some of the "hard reset" fixes will work as long as:

1) You change the date on the zune and don't sync
2) You change the date on both your zune and your PC if you have to sync
 
Hate to break this to you, but to reset an iPod, you hold down two buttons and it resets (center button and the top menu button). Also, if it did ever brick, you can force it into Disk mode to do a recovery (center button and play button). No battery removal necessary. Plus, on the board of th disk models, its a two pin wire lead to the board. takes 10 seconds to disconnect and reconnect.

Now, lets stop all the hatin on MS and Apple and move on and get the problem fixed. ;)

Depends on the model. Quite a few models have battery leads soldered directly onto the circuit boards.

Example: http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/apple.media/dissections_battery_soldered_to_board.jpg

Zunes can be reset with a button holding trick, the problem is being able to wipe the firmware/reset the date (again, which can be done with a hard reset without needing to remove the battery)... Soooooooooo. Yeah. iPods have their fair share of problems and if you want to point out how much easier it is to do something on your iPod without realising the same can be done on a Zune, we can go at this all day... or...

You can stop the 'hatin'" by not coming up with your own misinformed examples.
 
I don't buy the leap year thing, it is too dumb to be plausible and if it is indeed that, it will be worse for Microsoft, could become an even worse PR nightmare.
 
Mine's borked too, except after my batteries drained and the unit had shut down, I don't get the logo anymore. I get the icon that tells me to plug my unit in. I'll leave it for 10 minutes, unplug the unit, try to turn it on, and get the icon to plug my unit in. :confused:
 
Depends on the model. Quite a few models have battery leads soldered directly onto the circuit boards.

Example: http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/apple.media/dissections_battery_soldered_to_board.jpg

Zunes can be reset with a button holding trick, the problem is being able to wipe the firmware/reset the date (again, which can be done with a hard reset without needing to remove the battery)... Soooooooooo. Yeah. iPods have their fair share of problems and if you want to point out how much easier it is to do something on your iPod without realising the same can be done on a Zune, we can go at this all day... or...

You can stop the 'hatin'" by not coming up with your own misinformed examples.

How is it misinformed? I simply stated that people should drop it from both ends. You want to argue the point, fine. Doesn't change the fact that the problem flows both ways. And FYI I have a 30Gb White Zune 1st Gen so take that for what its worth. :rolleyes:
 
Spoke with a friend who has an 80GB version thats not affected. He has a friend who works in the call center that supports the Zune. Friend of a friend...I know...:rolleyes:, but better than nothing right?:rolleyes:

He said the issue most likely resides with the Wi-Fi aspect of the new versus the older models. New Firmware was released just other day, and the latest Zune software 3.1 flashes the firmware also. Some people have reported a hard reset will fix the issue (removing battery) while others it won't work. This might have to do with manufacture date and what firmware is present on the device.
 
On a side note...

The leap year being the reason is completely idiotic...and so far outside realm of possibility...

It is plausible, but not very probable.

Besides, why would MS change the coding relating to time/date if it worked fine already?

See my previous post for the rumored reason... combination of new firmware and new pc software, possibly relating to Wi-fi, which is why mostly Gen1 30gb models affected.
 
From the sounds of things it sounds like it is zunes DRM codec/license. I bet it hit some sort of date loop today (yesterday actually) and did not have a way to understand leap year. (yes I am thinking it is leap year.) and this is what caused the crash and why backdating your Zune if you can is a potential fix.
 
Huh!
What?

"Oh I couldn't hear you over my ipod playing."
"Let me turn it down."

;-)
 
I don't buy the leap year thing, it is too dumb to be plausible and if it is indeed that, it will be worse for Microsoft, could become an even worse PR nightmare.
Then why would people report that their units bricked right after midnight today, 12/31/2008 day 366 of the year? I can't think of anything else but that it's connected to the fact that this year has 366 days.
 
It will be interesting to see if the units start working after midnight 01/01/2009.
 
Can you imagine if this problem plagued Xbox360's?
OMG the PR nightmare/gamer backlash/PS3 fanboys would cause them a major headache.
 
Then why would people report that their units bricked right after midnight today, 12/31/2008 day 366 of the year? I can't think of anything else but that it's connected to the fact that this year has 366 days.

Mine was set to Mexico City time and it went dead around 2 or 3 am.
 
Back
Top