• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Widespread Zune Failures?

...here we go again

First the Xbox and now this.

Windows is fine, but I'm glad I don't have any of their other products.

Not even comparable. All of the Zune30's having this problem were made by Toshiba as they are based completely off the Toshiba Gigabeat.

Problem ended up being a date overflow in the clock, after all.
 
Just as I suspected. I await MS's thank you note in the post...only kidding.

Anyway I'm off to charge mine back up, a new year beckons.......
 
OMG....MS actually admitted it was a leap year bug.

I was actually trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...

It seems like I need to go eat some crow.


Clocks and calendars are relatively simple to program compared to actually being able to convert an MP3 into music.

Epic Fail
 
well, does that mean that at mindnight/newyears the Zune will go back to working? or are they all fubarred?
 
mine locked up a while back. Had to reformat and then sync it, week after I did that the songs "disappear" from the zune. Reformatted again and still happend got so fed up I kinda hit it and broke the screen lol. Went to the iPod touch and I can tell you I don't miss anything.
 
mine locked up a while back. Had to reformat and then sync it, week after I did that the songs "disappear" from the zune. Reformatted again and still happend got so fed up I kinda hit it and broke the screen lol. Went to the iPod touch and I can tell you I don't miss anything.

How about the 30GB space, for starters?
 
So it was a leap year bug...

I can't recommend a product that can suffer from such as STUPID bug, obviously I'm keeping my Zune, but when I buy a new portable player, it won't be a Zune.
 
I can't recommend a product that can suffer from such as STUPID bug, obviously I'm keeping my Zune, but when I buy a new portable player, it won't be a Zune.

Like you don't think they would fix this for 2012? Sure they will.

Any device out there has its share of bugs.

This one was almost hilarious to witness because it's so elementary... Huge software giant misses such a simple thing. They must work off Julian dates or something.
 
Guess I will test it out tomorrow and see if it comes back. I honestly can't believe all the hate against MS for this though. It was a simple mistake. Like Apple and other companies have never made anything similar :rolleyes: What about all the games that are released and you have to download patches almost the same day they hit the shelves at the store?

Am I a little irritated with the problem? Sure. Was it so bad I would never buy another Zune? Nope. In fact I'm still planning on buying a newer model for my wife for her birthday in April. Stuff happens, coders make mistakes, for those who act like it is the worst thing, point me to your elite programming skills or major retail products :rolleyes:
 
I think the most shocking thing about this bug, is that it revealed there are in fact people out there who bought a zune :p
 
OMG....MS actually admitted it was a leap year bug.

I was actually trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...

It seems like I need to go eat some crow.


Clocks and calendars are relatively simple to program compared to actually being able to convert an MP3 into music.

Epic Fail

Congrats numbnuts, now read the part where the faulty component was made by Toshiba.
 
I couldn't find my zune to test if it was working or not... hah... I'll never know...

But I do know that I got it for free from club.live.com so I really don't care how well it works... but it does work quite well, I honestly would have bought one over an iPod classic, and will probably buy an 80-120 if this one ever dies...
 
*turns on ipod touch

apparently it's working fine.
Ironically my iPhone bricked over the weekend when I tried to add new songs. When I was at Wallmart getting a new cable so I could restore I was looking at the Zunes and almost bought one because I keep hearing so many great things about it. Glad I didn't lol. Luckily when a player bricks I have a zillion others laying around to chose from. MS sure has hit a rough patch lately.
 
Ironically my iPhone bricked over the weekend when I tried to add new songs. When I was at Wallmart getting a new cable so I could restore I was looking at the Zunes and almost bought one because I keep hearing so many great things about it. Glad I didn't lol. Luckily when a player bricks I have a zillion others laying around to chose from. MS sure has hit a rough patch lately.

You would have been fine if you bought a new zune
 
Yea that's the funny thing... new Zunes are fine...Not as bad as Apple bricking Macbook Pro's on Christmas via firmware update honestly...

For some reason an error that wasn't even directly Microsoft's fault, but they're going to get the shit for it. You'll be damn sure that'll be on Microsoft's checklist for testing any product from here-on out (Does it work on the 366th day of a Leap year? ) haha...

Same shit could have happened to Apple, it's not like they make all their own components and test shit like that. Nobody could honestly anticipate that... meh...
 
Congrats numbnuts, now read the part where the faulty component was made by Toshiba.

So microsoft doesn't mandate quality control on its vendors? We all know how random and haphazardly leap years come about. No one could have predicted that this would be a leap year. Microsoft engineers aren't psychic.
 
My 30Gb Zune is back up and running as of 12.14pm.

Get em back in the dockers folks!
 
Ironically my iPhone bricked over the weekend when I tried to add new songs. When I was at Wallmart getting a new cable so I could restore I was looking at the Zunes and almost bought one because I keep hearing so many great things about it. Glad I didn't lol. Luckily when a player bricks I have a zillion others laying around to chose from. MS sure has hit a rough patch lately.

Well, If you would have bought it you wouldn't have any problem. Only 2nd Gen Zunes are available now.
 
Lol I have a 32gb Ipod touch. Dont miss 30GB at all. I got it for really cheap too. 260 on fleabay AR and CB.
I paid $50 for my 30GB last year or two ago brand spanking new. That's a shitload more money... I realize you've got more features, but geeze it's a stinking Music player. Only device I really enjoy having multiple capabilities is my phone.

I think the most shocking thing about this bug, is that it revealed there are in fact people out there who bought a zune :p
There's a ton of them out there. If you listen to the Apple crowd you would never think so, no. But you see quite a few in the wild.

Congrats numbnuts, now read the part where the faulty component was made by Toshiba.
This was caused by a DRIVER, not a hardware fault.
So yes, it was Microsoft's problem being it was software.

Not as bad as Apple bricking Macbook Pro's on Christmas via firmware update honestly...
Exactly.
Could have happened to anyone, and IMO Apple's done worse things (like you mentioned) than simply a date bug.
 
Back
Top