Why We DC

I fold for my dad who has Parkinson's disease. He is 58 years old and has been reduced from a healthy and very smart man to a mere shadow of his former self. The worst part is that there are others far worse off than he is. I fold in hope that the research will better enable us to fight degenerative conditions. I also fold so we can get back to the top and leave the aussies in our dust.

I fold for my grandfather which passed away from diabetes in 1981 at which I was only a baby. I now have made it my personal battle in which I see a future of cures of common diseases and battle with new ones that come into view.

I fold because of my own battle with a mental disability called: Asperger Syndrome. And for all of the children who lives have changed because of it. Some of the studies of folding have uncovered this syndrome and are making a different because of it.

I fold for friends and family that have battled diseases, some may have lost, some may have won.

But if we do not fold, in the end we all loose something that is close to our heart, either it being a friend or a relative.

I say to all of the people that are battling cancer, diabetes or any disease. I will help, try or pray with you because I am one of many helping to fight that battle for a cure or to slow it down.

I fold because I lost an aunt...
I fold for the [H], because thats one place I call home.

relic said:
The Eyes Have It.

Not alone or in pairs
But by the thousands.
Afraid...
Have you ever seen a frightened child?
Terror in a toddler's eyes?
I pray you never do...

-relic

but yes... I have seen those eyes.... It still haunts me today. Like Relic, I too pray you never have to see them. While I thank god they were not on my son, the dad in me knows that that child had a dad and mom too.

One child, is one to many.

I'm gonna go play with my kid now..........

I fold for my friends parents who have fought battles with cancer and many of whom have lost. I fold for my best friend who is near the end of a prolonged battle with Diabetes that has cost her 15 years of her life along with her kidneys. She taught me the meaning of faith and courage. Soon she will die and I want to be able to fight for her because she has fought for me.

Folding for the [H]orde for 5 days now, but for years to come.

I fold...
For my greatgrandparents.. who although died from old age, dealt with lots of
health related problems in their time...

For my grandfather.. who died from cancer in Oct 2004...

For my best friend who died from cancer when she was 20 years old back in 1999

For my cousin who died from leukemia before he even reached 18 years old...

For my dad, who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and thankfully can
take two shots (that he has to give himself) a week amoung a handful
of different pills everyday just to make it through the day. and not be
bound by a wheelchair for the rest of his life..

And for all the friends, co-workers, and unnamed people that I have not
met yet, who are dealing with similar issues, who have a friend or family
member who has... or has had to find the strength to face those who
have such problems on a day to day basis...

I could never imagine having to look into death's eyes on a day to day
basis...

Let us find the cure.

Patman said:
I fold for points, no seriously, I like getting points.

Hahaha! Inexorable!

I suppose my reason is somewhat remorseless as well... I fold because it seems to be the only sensible distributed processing task at hand these days. For example, Seti@home is the most pointless waste of ticks out there (well, until they find another more advanced civilization running a similar DC). You might as well just run Prime95 in its place all day. Useless!

I leave my computers running all the time and I don't use all three constantly. It just makes perfect sense to give those ticks away. And for some medical good or something...

I finally realize why I fold from watching the Kentucky Derby yesterday, I like this quote from Alex the little girl (who sold lemonade to raise money for cancer research) who past away and had a horse Afleet Alex name after her. "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade out of it" - not exactly sure the quote is 100% but it's pretty close.

I just lost my hero today.

My grandfather passed away from cancer. He was an amazing man. Everyone says this about their loved ones but I can only say that he was the most selfless and caring human being that I have ever met. He was lucky, he did not suffer long. But to see him, in his bed, gasping for air, the bubbling in his lungs....noone should have to suffer like that. Not my hero or my enemy.

He was and IS my hero.

This is why i and you should fold.

In memory of my grandpa,
Everyday the pain is a little less, but it will never leave..
It is just a little reminder to live life to the fullest, and to do what I can here...

Silence.
Eyes Full of life.
Body dying slowly.
Silence.

Can't speak,
Can't move,
Can't breathe,
Can't rest.

Everything is pain,
Mind screaming,
Body hurting,
Total Fustration.

Your eyes close,
Every time they open
a new face, new tears
Silence.

Will it end,
Soon?
Today?
Tomorrow?
I can't take much more.

Nothing has slowed me down
Nothing has held me back
Nothing..until this.
Just give me a gun.
Don't let me end life like this.

If..
If only...
The memories flash...
One last breath..
Silence.

My Great-Grandfather- Alzheimers
Grandmother - Cancer and beat it
Mother- Cancer but beat it
Uncle- Pancreatic Cancer
and of course a few others...

For quite a while, I've just folded because I thought that the H's we cool. These past six weeks, however, have been terrifying. My step-sister was diagnosed with leukemia, and while I've just received the wonderful information that it's gone into remission, it has definitely strengthened my desire to b0rg eveything that I can find. Anything that can be used to stop such hideous diseases must be pursued - we have the money, we can develop the technology, all we need is the willpower.

Why I really Fold...

1) It costs me very little:
I have several machines on at any given time, doing what they were built to do so that I can do work and recreation at home. If I didn't fold, my machines would be using juice whenever they idled. Text-console runs along great with every app I use, and it doesn't hurt anything or cause me problems that I need to solve.

2) It's the best cause:
I could DC for SETI, Prime or crypto breaking, but folding is a good cause. There probably are aliens out there, but I'm more concerned about the immediate neighborhood than what could possibly be out there. And, although the largest prime number is a freak/curiosity, it has nothing to do with my life. Relatedly, IMHO the only crypto that is impregnable is a one-time pad. Everything else can theoretically be broken given enough time & CPU. Medical research is the best cause for me.

3) It's a good client:
The text-only console version runs friendly on all of my boxen. I do what I do on my boxen, and the client doesn't interfere with any of my activities. I have enough machines at home so that I don't wait on any one machine to do what it needs to do. If anything, my machines are waiting for me, and since they'll be pulling 100+ watts anyway, I'm willing to pay the watt difference and load them up as hard as they can go.

4) It's a nice test:
99% of the time, my rigs run until I tell them not to. Loading folding on them and having them run for weeks at full CPU load gives me a lot of confidence that a big part of each of my systems is very very stable.

5) To learn:
I've learned a lot from my fellow folders over the years. We all have limited resources and there are some really innovative and inspiring solutions to be found in the forums here.

6) HardOCP:
I like HardOCP, and it gives me a change to give back.

7) Part of Something Greater:
We all want to be a part of something greater than we are. It's great to be American, it's great to participate in a religion, and it's great to be human. It's great to be a Folder and even better to be a 33 Folder. And, I'm part of the team that will spank Aussie butt when we hit winter.

8) Selfish pride:
I've been folding long enough to have once hit the top 100 when I really wanted to be there. I don't think I'll ever get there again, and I don't generally ramp to 100+% except on a short-term basis. When I'm bored, I'll ramp and check stats to try to stay ahead of someone below me, but for the most part, I'm just a casual gardener. I ramp when I feel like it, for my own reasons, but I'm always folding with something.

9) Heating:
I live in Honolulu, and during our "winter," folding makes the house more comfy.

10) Points. I too, really like points. (really)

why I fold:

Started out as just something to do then I got tired of it...then one day I found it again and started back up.

We just found out yesterday that my wifes mother went in for surgery on a blocked intestine and they found colin as well as liver cancer and she has 6-8 months to live.

My wife wasn't sure why I was folding but now she does as well and won't complain about the soon to be growing garden.

Anybody who can fold should because you never know when this might strike YOUR home.

Well, I'm not much of a poet, but I will share why I fold, it's pretty simple actually:

At age 14 my good friend was diagnosed with Leukemia. I saw him go from a normal junior high school life to one of constant pain from all the medicine, treatments and transplants. He also met the girl he was going to spend the rest of his life with in the hospital, or so he thought... she died of Leukemia.

Thank God, he's been in remission for over 6 years now, but man... I don't wish that existence on anyone, especially not kids. So, if they can find a method of prevention or a cure that doesn't involve the immense amount of pain it now takes... I'm all for it.

- James

I fold for my grandfather, who died of lung cancer and I only remember because of pictures and stories. I fold for my aunt who died of breast cancer when my cousins were still kids. I fold for my grandfather, who died of breast cancer. I fold for my father, who has already had a benign tumor and small cancerous growth removed. I fold for my wife, who has Acoustic Neuroma and will have an MRI every year for the forseeable future to make sure it doesn't grow. I fold for my professor and friend, who is in a better place now because of stomach cancer.

I fold because I don't want to add another name to my list.

If one child is spared the pain of fighting or losing a parent to a disease, it is enough.

"...when pain is to be borne, a little courage helps more than much knowledge, a little human sympathy more than much courage, and the least tincture of the love of God more than all." -C. S. Lewis

I fold for my beloved father who went to be with the Lord when I was 10 years old. :(

Long fold the [H]orde!!!

I fold for many reasons...

A few of them being:
my (father's side) grandmother - died 3 months before I was born - cancer
my (mother's side) grandfather - died 5 years ago - heart disease, alzhiemer's, diabeties
my aunt - just had 1/2 of her left lung removed due to cancer

a family friend who was just given 1 year to live - lung cancer, both lungs
the others in my family who suffer from diabeties, heart disease, early stages of alzheimer's

I fold in hopes of finding a cure, medication,etc so that my children won't have to suffer the same diseases.

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Here's my story,

Also, my Grandfather suffers from moderate Alzheimers which is terrible to see especially since no one deserves that either. And like someone else mentioned, other people are a lot worse off.

It also seems that once a week you hear of someone you know getting Cancer, and no one needs such a punishing ailment.

It has been one year since my grandfather passed on.
Just some thoughts and ramblings that are in my head.

The sun never sets in the East...

The sun never sets in the east, It will never rise in the west.

There are somethings about life that you cannot change, while others you can.
Somethings are a welcomed change, for the best, sometimes you make the
wrong choices, and spend half your life in a dream.

Some days it is too hot outside, sometimes, too damn cold.
There is always something, somewhere, sometime, that just isn't quite right.
Then... there are those things, that will always bring a smile to your face.

There are always those people that are in your world, who can do no wrong
I know, for my parents always told me, thats how I am in my grandpa's eyes.

Today, that is how he is in my eyes. Someone so full of love, and life, that
there was never room for spite, for making someone feel less then who or
what they were, to bring someone down, just because. Never a hateful
word, always a smile, a gentle way. Always love. Sometimes it was a tough
and rugged love, being from Alaska you are born and raised in the elements,
you see life and death on a daily basis, and you live your life the best you can.

Sometimes you fall down on the path of life, but there is always a helping
hand to lift you back up and set you strait. He was always there for me,
and I was there when he needed me most. And even still today, somewhere
I know he is still there for me, and always will be.

The one person that was able to gain my respect died the day Halo 2 came out. Yeah, not a happy day for me at least. Anyways, she had pancreotic cancer, lip cancer, and liver failure. She was the person that showed me what a wonderful world it is, all you have to do is look at the right places.

Fold on.

Here's to one more person that wants the cure to this thing more than anything on the planet.

Do not grasp at straws when a funeral first makes you panic at your own mortality.
You have been happy with your open mind so far.
Fold. Seti. Dream.
:)

I'm in the position of having a father-in-law struggle with melanoma, only to find out yesterday that it's spread to his liver, lung, and small colon. Despite agressive surgery and chemo...he's got real troubles.

I've been a long term folder, but this not only sucks, but it makes me want to throw another few CPUs onto the project...money's a bit low lately, but I'll manage it somehow.

OldPueblo said:
I fold because I might have mad cows disease. :p I was living in Ireland during the initial outbreak or whenever it started becoming a big deal. I'm actually forbidden to donate blood indefinitely until some policy somewhere changes. :(

Don't let the mooadness take me, fold you fools!
There has to be a p233 around here somewhere..... hummm what can I plug it into :D

I fold because I can.

I was about to build a mosix or beowulf cluster when I though, "Besides the learning experience, what good will it be?". So here I am. It's too late for my grandpa but maybe this will help someone else.

i fold cuz my systems run 24/7 for no apparent reason....used to be for downloads but i have recently stopped that (stupid client)...but with no downloads system was still running 24/7 so i figure that my electricity might as well be doing SOMETHING good so i started cuz [H]ardocp said i should :) and after reading up on the research i have a more selfish reason and that is that i LOVE to smoke and i dont want to get...but i dont want to die from cancer so this way i can help make a cure so when i need it...its there :) and cuz i like points :)

189926189_e926a0ddda_o.jpg

this kid is 14 years old and will probably not live another week! he is dieing from a cancer that wrapped around his spinal column and spread through his whole body! I will not stop until something has been done to finish of this horrible killer
gonna go set up the machines i have been meaning to set up but just haven't

I have visited the childrens cancer ward at Dartmouth Hitchcock hospital in Hanover NH. No child should have to suffer like that.

My big reason is my 7 month old son. I never want to see him suffer with cancer.

I fold because it's a hobby. My wife lets me fold without so much as any type of negative comment and even supports my folding hobby because her mother died of cancer when she was 50.

Lost both parents to cancer. Lost departmental secretary to cancer.
I like to think that I and my recruits might contribute to the science
seeking a cure for cancer and other diseases that take people too young.

And yes, I'm addicted to the whole competition thing. Go [H]orde!

I lost both of my grandparents on my dad's side to cancer -- didn't even get to meet my granddad; he died from prostrate cancer 3 years before I was born.

My uncle died from complications to alzheimer's and my fiancee's grandmother now has alzheimers. So, my life's also affected.

I fold because my roomate/one of my best friends suffers from Juvenile Diabetes. I know it's not one of the specific things they're researching for, but more medical knowledge is always a good thing.

I've been lucky, none of my close family or friends have experienced the horrors that these diseases cause, and maybe by folding I can help keep them from ever having to.

I think there was a similar thread elsewherwe, but I'll reiterate my comments there.

First and foremost, I beleive that computing and open network communications should be conceived with the aim of aiding humanity. The development of digital computer based communications technologies were conceived in the light of solving the problems of the traditional circuit switched technologies have, as well as circumventing the inherent centralized control circuit switched communications has and thus oppening the world to many, many more people.

Distributed computing projects (to me) encompass the feeedom and true nature of the benefits this technology brings to humanity though enabling organized focused problem solving by people who otherwize would not have been able to effectively contribute to the larger cause the way this technology allows them to.

That being said, I never bothered contributing towards SETI, RC5 or others because, though interesting, they didn't seem to really be something worth my humble time.

I contribute to F@H because I beleive in what Stanford does. Stanford's different groups have been involved in so many good things over the years that I trust them, and the papers page openly displays proof that this is all going somewhere.

Do I beleive F@H will cure cancer? No, in fact I know it will not. Do I beleive the work that F@H supports will help move researchers in the direction of advancing medical science? You better beleive it.

If I didn't know anyone who had been touched by cancer or some other illness that currently has no definite cure or treatment (but in fact I do), I'd still be participating. I can't justify my efforts simply because my rank gets higher or I get a cool badge in the community. Those benefits are incidental and a nice distraction, the same way it felt when I looked at myself in the mirror wearing the uniform of military service.

What matters is to what end this effort moves, and I beleive this is something that marks a bright spot in humanity and technology, flying in the face of neigh sayers who would have you beleive that nothing good for humanity comes from technology. Additionally, this is another example that many little people can match the forces of a single large entity, again contradicting cynical philosophies that say ultimately human nature is anarchy, disorder, conflict and ignorance. I can look at this project and the efforts we put into it and smile, beleiving there is hope for the future.

Back