Why video card prices are still so high?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by TurK-FX, Dec 6, 2017.

1. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

You do realize they are putting tamper registers on the card now to see if the ROM has been messed with?

2. razor1

razor1 [H]ardForum Junkie

The only cards that I have had to change ROM's on has been my Rx 580's, all others, have been stock.

And those I just changed timings of the Vram, made them tighter, so, if anything they should have less latency then before. Pretty easy to flash back to the factory one anyways.

nV's cards, ya can't even do it, the tools aren't even available to the general public for Pascal or Maxwell bioses.

3. Bravo25

Bravo25 n00bie

Someone was crying about 1080ti prices on another forum and like I told him. You can't expect top end cards to magically become cheap. It'd be like me crying about how my 2015 Audi S5 never went on sale the x-mas I bought it.

4. buttons

buttons [H]ard|Gawd

I really do not understand the haters. Under normal circumstances I would of never been able to afford launch edition 7970s, 290x, 1080s. Prior to mining i bought 4850, 5770s, 6770s $200 cards tops. Now i can buy $600 cards, heat my home, get rich fast schemes, gift old video cards to friends and family to get them on the PC master race. Sadly i gave away my 290xs because of their power draw i never throught they would sell for $400 used and abused 18 months later....

5. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

That's fine Razor, and I believe you. But how do we know about everyone else? That's why it's a crap shoot.

razor1 likes this.
  6. razor1

razor1 [H]ardForum Junkie

True, but if others are doing what they read on the web that is all they should be doing lol, I wouldn't change voltage and clocks via bios anyways, its extremely risky if people don't know what they are doing cause everything is not laid out with power states. If its a mining card (rx 400 or 500 series), I would get the seller to flash it back to the original bios if I was going to use it for gaming.

The timing change is actually fairly easy to do and the only coin that needs that is ETH or ETH based algo's. All other alt coins the default bioses work fine.

This is why the 1070's only mine just above the rx 480/580 rates. The cuda miners hide the latency better than the OpenCL ones. I'm sure if we were capable of modifying the timings on the 1070 ram we could get higher. But that is not in our reach. Also think this is where Volta is getting a huge amount of performance, its HBM ram timings are probably really good for ETH mining. We also see a little bit of this with Vega based cards too.

7. newls1

newls1 2[H]4U

This whole GPU pricing and availability is absolute BULLSHIT for us little people who just want a video card to play our games. I can NOT upgrade because I refuse to pay 2-500$ ABOVE MSRP for a 1080Ti. I know as soon as the next gen volta's drop they are going to be priced to stupid expensive that it will be priced out of the market for most. I swear this is all done on purpose so nvidia/amd can just roll in profits. Thank god I bought Trident Z ram 2 years ago that was priced 175$ for the same kit now is 500$. RAM and GPU prices are such a scam now, and how these companies arent being investigated for this is so absurd. Cant even make a profit off building a pc the last 2 years cause ram and gpu prices cost more then the entire build now. Something needs to be done and done immediately

Krenum likes this.
  8. doubletake

doubletake Limp Gawd

:cry:

GoldenTiger likes this.
  9. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Serious option: The Titan V is apparently readily available at its MSRP. If you're seriously using a dual Xeon box for gaming, I wouldn't think the cost would necessarily be prohibitive.

10. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

AMD does not profit any more if their video cards sell for $0.50 or $2,000. The reason being is they sign supply contracts with the card builders that says "We will supply you X amount of chips over Y Weeks for $Z/each"

JustReason likes this.
  11. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

I hear you. I want to upgrade my 980, to atleast a 1070 ti but I can't, these things are "selling" for 1000 dollars! Its fuckin absurd. Been PC gaming for 20 years and I've never seen prices this blown out of proportion on graphics cards! I thought the Geforce 2 GTS for 400 was expensive! this is insanity!

I refuse to accept this as the new normal. If it is then screw it, I'm going back to consoles. ( eagerly awaiting the "bye Felicia" comments), go fuck yourself.

12. oblox

oblox Gawd

Bye Felicia. ;)

atp1916 likes this.
  13. Krenum

Not disappointed! Can your pecker stretch to your bunghole? ;)

14. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

Hey, anyone remember when the first $500 video cards came out and that was like only for the elite? Now you will be lucky to pay $700 MSRP. LOL.

15. Krenum

Yeah, I remember when the Geforce 3 Ti 500's came out. Those were the days. Sure they were expensive, but you saved for em. Now the market is just greed driven. I don't want to give my money to some shithead who bought dozens of graphics cards just to make a profit because of mining. Its not worth it, not when the company gives an MSRP. I really don't see it getting better for us any time soon & that sucks for people who just want to have a good gaming experience.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

But AMD/NV aren't charging the crazy prices, it's the scalpers.

JustReason likes this.
  17. Krenum

We shouldn't be mad at the scalpers, there doing what any sane person would do to make a buck. We should be mad at AMD/Nvidia for not being able to meet the demand, even though they have stated that they could. They cannot & probably don't care.

18. oblox

oblox Gawd

Yes, a million times yes.

19. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise Gawd

I was waiting for the "I don't know - but I'm sure it can stretch to yours".

Emission and oblox like this.
  20. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Wow. I was just looking at cards and the prices are like crazy and that is if they are even in stock.....

Dam miners. I needed more cards to mine with and none to be found...... I will have to snipe when they come in stock.

21. tacohunter52

tacohunter52 Gawd

Right! I miss when mining was just a small hobby and when anyone asked about it the answer was automatically, "It's not profitable".., let's go back to that.

22. daphatgrant

daphatgrant I'm w/Stoopid ^

Diggity damn, I guess I'll be waiting for a bit for a new card. GTX 570 is getting pretty old and starting to artifact. Kind of considering a 1060 3GB to replace the 570 and replacing when Volta comes out.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  23. KedsDead

KedsDead n00bie

There high cause I am still buying them to mine with.. :)

24. KedsDead

KedsDead n00bie

If your going to replace it when Volta comes out, and your already playing games on an old 570, just get a 1050ti.. its 780ti performance, and its cheaper. Plus miners are not buying them, so there is plenty of stock and no price gauging..

25. bufodr_T

bufodr_T [H]ardness Supreme

Check again. There are no new 1050ti cards to be found on newegg under $250 except a refurb gigabyte 1050ti for $229.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 601273503&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

This shit is insane.

kirbyrj likes this.
  26. KedsDead

KedsDead n00bie

$200 at MC.. but damn.. your right.. I paid 140 for my daughters less than 6 months ago.. Hell that last 1060 3gb I bought a month ago for my mining rig was only 204 at newegg..

27. thenjduke

thenjduke Limp Gawd

It is insane. I am really debating on selling my 1060 3GB

28. noko

noko 2[H]4U

hmmm, there is something very big - huge happening on the Internet and some do not see it. I say strap on your seatbelts - it is going to be wild ride.

29. thenjduke

thenjduke Limp Gawd

30. Krenum

Good time to go back to console gaming.

Denjoy, eclypse and kirbyrj like this.
  31. pandora's box

pandora's box [H]ardness Supreme

Honestly this is where I'm at. I barely use my gaming PC for gaming, I mainly browse reddit, do some work stuff on it, and watch youtube. Now it's earning me money with the 1080 ti mining away. Started 3 days ago and already earned $30 from it. Bought 2 Star Wars Titan Xp's this morning that I will be adding to the rig. Should bump me to around $30 a day, $900 a month, and about $10,800 a year.

If I play a game these days its either on my PS4 Pro or Nintendo Switch. My PC gets used for an occasional multiplayer game with friends but we are all so busy these days with work that our schedules hardly ever line up for some Battlefield 1 or whatever.

32. Krenum

Sounds like you're sitting pretty. Now to just figure out a way to get that free electricity.

33. pandora's box

at 6 cents a kw/h i dont really have to worry about that.

34. Krenum

That's some cheap electricity. o_O

35. atp1916

atp1916 2[H]4U

"Damn miners" ?

Check out statements made by the c-suite types from AMD and NVidia about how "mining" is not on their radar:

AMD

NVidia

36. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

Even if they think mining is not a valuable part of their business, if they can't get video cards into the hands of PC gamers, then they have no business.

atp1916, JustReason and ciscokid454 like this.
  37. ciscokid454

ciscokid454 2[H]4U

So damn tempted to do this with the titan Xp's or even v's. Seems like matter of principle at that point.
    Went to Microcenter today with my wife and she was blown away that they hand zero inventory on hand of GPU's.
    Even have a sign i'll have to upload, stating that 3 or more of any video card is $10k each, while 1-2 are whatever the cost...

Attached Files:

38. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Yep. Big gamble on their part. GPU companies are now selling bulk GPUs to mining companies that are building their own cards and writing their own drivers.

cybereality likes this.
  39. pandora's box

The Titan V has been sold out for the past week or so.

That's crazy about buying 3 or more being $10,000. Honestly they should push it to more than 1 = $10,000.

40. ciscokid454

ciscokid454 2[H]4U

agreed. two to three weeks ago prices and supply were not an issues, this is so messed up.
    I saw some poor Georgia Tech kids probably in a league or something having to purchase 750's because that is all that are available...