Why Skyrim is Not My Game of the Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
I really want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt but you really have to wonder why anyone would write a two page article explaining "Why (insert game) isn’t my game of the year." Well, unless of course the author is just trolling, which worked if that is the case. ;)

Skyrim achieved many great things with its release this year, but it’s just not the total package that games like Portal 2 or Deus Ex have proved themselves to be. It’s one of the best games of the year to be sure, but the best? I can’t let myself give it that honor.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a defense of Skyrim, or an attack on his choice of Deus Ex. It is the fact that he wrote a two page article about why hit didn't pick <insert popular game> game for GoTY.

I'd like a four page article of why people think Portal 2 is the GOTY.

Certainly an amazing cute little game, fantastic co-op, but in the face of Deus Ex HR, an amazing game begging for my fourth playthrough that actually runs on all platforms with no showstopping bugs and Skyrim it's a cute little well-done polished game.

Well, Skyrim is kind of a huge deal right now. So I suppose writing an article contrary to how people are feeling about the game right now will get some recognition. Regarding the article its self, I actually enjoyed reading it, and I think his sentiments are valid.

I don't know what I would pick but I think it should break new ground. I enjoyed all the games I played this year but Deus Ex might get the nod because I didn't feel like been there done that. I suppose I should play Skyrim before forming an opinion though.

I would agree with the point that nobody seems to notice that you just defeated Alduin ... but I actually find that rather poignant. The reality is, most people wouldn't even notice. Matter of fact, all people have to go on is your word that you killed the creature. The only witnesses to your battle are dead themselves and the dragons that know ... aren't talking. So, no, nobody is throwing you a parade for saving the world because, from their perspective, you didn't do a damned thing that they could see. You impress them more by helping THEM, not helping the world ... and such is the nature of most people.

I think it's a good game, but highly overrated. Many of the reviews were overly gushing.

I have to agree with him. It was a pretty good game, but it didn't quite "click" for me, compared to to other games this year.

Be nice if Deus Ex was not totally bugged or else I would have finished my play through kinda a big deal being able to finish the game and all without downloading mod tools.

Skyrim used to be a contender for game of the year...

...but then it took an arrow to the knee...

Zarathustra[H];1038179612 said:

Mandatory 6 month ban.

Anyway, that was a short article glossing over very little of what is wrong with Skyrim. I do agree with this Paul chap, but I think it's time to post a comprehensive review of all the strengths and weaknesses of the game.

sFlUp.jpg

That's actually what went through my mind as soon as I saw the post. :p

It doesn't deserve GOTY because it's a shoddy game. Sure, it's fun, but if you bought a car and it had various technical issues shortly after driving it off the lot then you'd be pissed.

The game has been released 1.5 months and it's on patch #4 and they still have stuff to fix.

and FUS RO DAH!

and countless youtube music videos,

Is anyone quoting lines from Portal2 with anywhere near that frequency?

I think it's Dovahkiin FTW boys.

I'd have to agree with Skyrim not deserving GOTY. It was a huge let down in my book and the game had a ton of potential.

I gotta say I agree with the guy. I've kind of felt this way about all of Bethesda's games Since Morrowind.

I don't believe Skyrim deserves it. Sure it was good and all and far better than Deus Ex (I just didn't see the appeal after my first play through). If it were up to me, Witcher 2 would win hands down.

It doesn't deserve GOTY because it's a shoddy game. Sure, it's fun, but if you bought a car and it had various technical issues shortly after driving it off the lot then you'd be pissed.

The game has been released 1.5 months and it's on patch #4 and they still have stuff to fix.

Why are you surprised? Every RPG Bethesda has ever released has been beta at best when it hit retail. Some games, like Daggerfall, were arguably still in alpha. They have never been known for the quality of their code.

They even managed to somehow mess up Rage and they didn't even touch the code. Apparently just being linked to the company in some way is enough to catch their disease...

Just to point out, the actual GOTY, Deus Ex HR is currently on sale at Amazon for $9.99 for the Standard Edition which will activate on Steam where you will be able to grab the Tactical Enhancement Pack DLC for free and in addition you will receive a $5 coupon toward a 2011 best seller on Amazon in January 2012.

To be honest, after a week into the game, it didn't have that magic that Morrowind had. I believe it's the constant theme of snow and creatures that we have already seen in a stereotypical fantasy, and perhaps other factors that I didn't noticed as well... Actually I'm kinda pissed the removed (mark/recall) and (levitation) and *goes on about Morrowind awesomeness*. It was a great game, beats any game I have right now (as in 2011) but it just didn't have that GOTY appeal that Morrowind had back then.

Skyrim is definitely the game I've put the most time into this year. But does that make it the best game? I don't know. It's more the genre of game that makes it time-consuming than anything else, but it is a very good game, all issues aside.

Deus Ex (from what I played of the demo/leaked beta/whatever it was), was a good game as well, but better than Skyrim? Not sure.

He's completely spot on.

My companions questline is currently broken b/c I wandered into a completely random cave, cleared it, now the game is broke until they respawn (21 in game days. F that.)

Combat is meh. I just bumped up the difficulty bc it became too easy. I'm just a pure DW meleer and I still roll through everything. Finally had a fun quest when the wolf queen dungeon was actually a massive attack.

Combat is far too spread out and over too quickly. Having a blast with the Civil war quests just bc it's a constant "go nuke this fort" quests.

Why does he compare Portal 2 and Dues Ex within Skyrim's context?

But both [DX:HR and Portal 2] stories are fantastically told, and the games don’t need a thousand sidequests to supplement them.

No shit, and for the same reason Skyrim doesn't need portal puzzles; it doesn't fit into the goddamn game.

Then he goes on to give DX:HR so much credit for its "interesting implications about morality and technology." Oh you mean the abrupt decision you make at the end of the game that triggers a 30 second video then rolls credits? The decision that renders all preceding decisions/actions moot? Oh yeah, what a profound bullet point. [/sarcasm]

How about stealth? "Deus Ex, when played from a stealth perspective, has a level of complexity that far exceeds that of Skyrim’s sneaking play style." Waitaminute, now he's comparing one of many playing styles in Skyrim to one of two playing styles for DX:HR? Hm.. you can unlock the invisibility augmentation very early on, then one-shot everyone in the entire game. You call that complex? Yes, I played on the hardest difficulty.

All I know is that I'm still playing Skyrim 100 hours later, and I'm not replaying DX or Portal 2.

No SKYRIM is GAME OF THE YEAR. Game of the decade possibly.

#1 The graphics or artwork is amazing. I can't tell you how often I just stopped and took a look around. It's a feast for the eyes. This game payed so much attention to detail that nothing is just simply "draw on", like Rage. Too often I see shortcuts where developers just draw a 3D object on a flat surface, and hope we're morons.

#2 It's not a weekend game. This game will take you a long time to finish. Everything is interesting, including side quests. Nothing like World of Warcraft where you just simply run out and kill something. Something Epic is going to happen.

#3 Real replay value. Unlike games like Assassin's Creed, where they just lay features everywhere for you to collect, and call it replay value, Skyrim has a lot of choices for the character. Be melee, or caster. Could be both. The game gives the player literally unlimited freedom. The game literally changes totally. A lot like MegaMan X games where you could play as Zero or X.

#4 An explorable world. I can't express my hatred for the invisible walls I run into in games. Just shear laziness of the developers. I have not found one invisible wall yet in this game. There is no one path to take. It's not linear. Do what you want. Follow whatever quest you want. Do that quest however you like.

Portal 2 comes at a close second, but Skyrim beats it hands down. I personally couldn't care for Dues Ex. Wasn't a good game. Good concept, and interesting story, but the gameplay was limited and linear. I'd put Dues Ex right next to Rage personally, and Rage was a big pile of shit.

Didn't Oblivion make game of the year? So many issues with that game, couldn't stand it. Skyrim is definitely a step up, though. Still waiting for something to top Morrowind, have some good memories with that one :)

Skyrim is definitely the game I've put the most time into this year. But does that make it the best game? I don't know. It's more the genre of game that makes it time-consuming than anything else, but it is a very good game, all issues aside.

Deus Ex (from what I played of the demo/leaked beta/whatever it was), was a good game as well, but better than Skyrim? Not sure.

I'm in the same boat. Since Skyrim, I am completely and utterly disinterested in any other game. I don't see anything on the horizon that presents much of a challenge. Unless of course something Half-Life...

Just to point out, the actual GOTY, Deus Ex HR is currently on sale at Amazon for $9.99 for the Standard Edition which will activate on Steam where you will be able to grab the Tactical Enhancement Pack DLC for free and in addition you will receive a $5 coupon toward a 2011 best seller on Amazon in January 2012.

And here I am, Unable to afford DX:HR unless I get it from this sale. It shows up in my search, but Being that I live in NZ, I cannot get it. :(

I can see not thinking it deserves GOTY just because of the bugs. A fun game is great and all, and certainly important, but there is something to be said for the need to deliver something that isn't broken as well. How well a game works (or doesn't) should factor in to GOTY as well.

People's response to why Skyrim should win the award?

It's got 1000000 quests!

The author has a point. Who cares? None of those billion quests really amount of anything, and the core gameplay behind it is pretty much not engaging. I get it that it's a large game, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot anymore.

I think it speaks volumes that Skyrim won GOTY with as many "starting gate" jitters as it has.

The game is just that good, so good that people will overlook the bugs to get their fix. And this is long before any real mods have been released for it.

Why would anyone compare Skyrim to Portal 2. They are two very different games.

Lol I agree why post what games shouldn't win? Stupid, just say which one should.

On the 360 skyrim kicks ass with uber cool gfx.

Pc.. Battlefield 3!

Theirs my picks for each platform.

Ha!

Back