Why Serious Gamers Won't Go for Wireless Mice

same as audiophiles with coat hangers and "gamers" with crts, all placebo effects

I loved my G7 and like my MX revo

#1 Batteries suck

#2 Wireless sucks

#3 Do you need a wireless mouse for something you sit 2 feet away?

Wireless works great now. A lot of you are living in the 90s with the first early wireless mice. Granted charging them sometimes suck if you forget to place it on the charge overnight, but my MX1000 lasted days without a charge and was just as responsive as my G5 was.

Also, a lot of regular mouse cords are way too short if you have your tower on the floor or at any distance away from your keyboard. Wireless mice are also great for playing on a TV for instance, where the keyboard and mouse might be across the room from the box.

Razer Mamba is hands down the best mouse that I've used in my entire life.

I've used wireless mice in the past: heavy, need batteries, power saving lag when placing hand on it etc. etc. The Mamba is none of these things. It wakes up the instant you touch it, is responsive, has a recharge cradle that lets you game all day on a full charge, is light, sits under the hand well.

It's 3:30 a.m. and I've been playing SC2 since 10 p.m. The Mamba shows 2/3 charge remaining. It's highly recommended.

Mamba.

No dropouts. No lag. No problem.

This. And if you forget to charge it and it does start running out of power, just plug in the usb and use it exactly like a wired mouse as it charges the battery.
The main reason I wanted a wireless mouse was for when I was sitting further than 3 feet from my computer (say, my bed, which I do a lot of the time). I was getting tired of slinging the USB extender across the gap so it would reach.

Wireless is great; I see no difference between wireless and wired mode. Awesome DPI control. Good customization program (though kinda slow). Decent weight.
Not a wonderful price, but I'm happy with what I got.

I have been using a Logitech MX1000 mouse for like 5 yrs and have never had lag or dropouts and I seem to do just fine in gaming.

I've never understood why they don't include a plug in attachment for wireless mice , to make them also wired when needed. Like say when the battery just dies, Or when your gaming gets serious.

I'm a pro gamer and I use a Razer Mamba. This article is now defunct.

My TF2 team placed 2nd in Canada 2008 as an average of the two larges TF2 tournaments in Canada in 2008, Fragapalooza and Lanageddon.

IMO though, the Mamba is the only wireless mouse worth using for pro gaming.

I absolutely love my Mamba. I've owned one for about a year and never have a problem using it wireless for gaming. It's just as great as wired mode.

Slight rant about the Mamba though... I am not a fan of failing hardware. Razer has to step up their QC because I'm on my 3rd Mamba, and it just died last night. The sensor no longer tracks, just like each other one that died, but every other function works. There is no dust in the sensor. I hope Mamba #4 proves to last longer than 4 months.

I've never understood why they don't include a plug in attachment for wireless mice , to make them also wired when needed. Like say when the battery just dies, Or when your gaming gets serious.

I stand corrected, Razer Mamba has wired/wireless modes. I know what my next mouse purchase will be.:p

Am I the only person that still is bitter about the ball mouse going extinct? For fps games, that little bit of movement you get from a laser mouse when you pick it up to move it completely screws up your aim. Well, not completely, but when I used to play insta-gib Unreal Tournament and I changed to a laser mouse, my accuracy was never the same.

Yeah, you had to scrape the gunk out of the ball once every couple weeks, big deal. It was a hell of a lot more accurate.

MX 1000 here. The cradle/receiver is only inches off the mousepad, I've never had problems. I find it to be quite precise, excellent in AutoCAD and in gaming I think I twitch just fine. I absolutely cannot stand the cord getting stuck, twisted, or otherwise restricting my movement common of corded mice.

Wireless mice are completely useless for my setup... i do not have the traditional setup... i have a nice comfy leather chair.. ottoman.. and a table the computer and monitor are on top of.. while the keyboard is on the left arm of the leather chair... and i have a pice of velcro on the right arm which corresponds to the mousepad... The arms on this chair are very wide... I kick back and chill... feet on the ottoman.. about 4 feet from the monitor... and am completely comfortable shooting the shit out of people... ive even fallen asleep once since i got this chair.. its soooo comfortable...

With this setup, due to the arm of the chair being so far from the table, and it being lower than the table.. ive found a wireless mouse makes the difference between a tank round or rocket hitting a chopper in BFBC2... or missing it... getting the jump on someone, or getting hit before you can fire... i will not use a wireless mouse...my scores are about 2k-3k per round in atacama desert with a wired mouse.. around 1400-2k without...

And of course like everyone else has mentioned... id prefer to spend that extra money each year on games or hardware.. not a fucking bunch of batteries...

And of course like everyone else has mentioned... id prefer to spend that extra money each year on games or hardware.. not a fucking bunch of batteries...

LOL!:D Money on batteries for wireless mice? My G7 came with batteries that still hold a good day or two charged four years latter. My Sidewider X8 I've had for 18 months still using there rechargeables I got for it then.

I wonder if it would be any good if we do manage to get "wireless power" going to get the mouse pad to be the power source and a wireless mouse constantly charged? I should get a patent!

I've already seen something like that on the store i go to. From what i could tell, it's based on a pen tablet, but instead of a pen, it 's shaped like a mouse. The only thing that's plugged in is the mousepad.

LOL!:D Money on batteries for wireless mice? My G7 came with batteries that still hold a good day or two charged four years latter. My Sidewider X8 I've had for 18 months still using there rechargeables I got for it then.

I had a bad experience with rechargables once... fuckers blew up in my old nintendo gameboy...lol... that was years ago... but its a habit... why bother with the chance or having a mouse that isnt charged cuz i forget? I do tend to forget a lot of shit like this.. or stuff left in the microwave...lol...

I had a bad experience with rechargables once... fuckers blew up in my old nintendo gameboy...lol... that was years ago... but its a habit... why bother with the chance or having a mouse that isnt charged cuz i forget? I do tend to forget a lot of shit like this.. or stuff left in the microwave...lol...

With the X8 forgetting to charge is never a problem as it has a wired charging cable that connects the mouse while in operation similar to how the G700 works I believe.

Ive always heard of people complaining on how a wireless mouse and keyboard can effect gameplay I.E. Connection issues and such, but ive never experienced any problems. The closest ive gotten was having to switch batteries out, and thats once every 6 months.

Wireless mice are completely useless for my setup... i do not have the traditional setup... i have a nice comfy leather chair.. ottoman.. and a table the computer and monitor are on top of.. while the keyboard is on the left arm of the leather chair... and i have a pice of velcro on the right arm which corresponds to the mousepad... The arms on this chair are very wide... I kick back and chill... feet on the ottoman.. about 4 feet from the monitor... and am completely comfortable shooting the shit out of people... ive even fallen asleep once since i got this chair.. its soooo comfortable...

With this setup, due to the arm of the chair being so far from the table, and it being lower than the table.. ive found a wireless mouse makes the difference between a tank round or rocket hitting a chopper in BFBC2... or missing it... getting the jump on someone, or getting hit before you can fire... i will not use a wireless mouse...my scores are about 2k-3k per round in atacama desert with a wired mouse.. around 1400-2k without...

Sorry, that's ridiculous. As if BFBC2 had competent enough netcode for the lag of a wireless mouse to make a difference LOL.

BFBC2 is a clusterfuck for proper mousing mechanics. There is even mouse acceleration and smoothing turned on by default that you have to edit a bunch of .cfg files to disable.

Also, to comment on Ashbringers last numbered remark, Yes, i do when i keep accidentally ripping the cords from out of the computer.

Sorry, that's ridiculous. As if BFBC2 had competent enough netcode for the lag of a wireless mouse to make a difference LOL.

BFBC2 is a clusterfuck for proper mousing mechanics. There is even mouse acceleration and smoothing turned on by default that you have to edit a bunch of .cfg files to disable.

When the mouse is lower than the table the receiver is on..by about a foot..give or take an inch or two... and farther away than the average..about 4 feet.... id suggest you actually attempt it with my setup... I know what my data suggests...the wireless mouse sucks... of course you have to take into effect whether you hit a target or not can be hard to gauge each time with an evolving game where you cant get the same gameplay each time in multiplayer.. but the end score is a pretty good indicator of overall effectiveness...

Also keep in mind that i have an extension cable for my wired mouse... which may result in a slight lag as well.. albeit one thats probably extremely hard to notice... if at all..maybe i could do better without it.. but then i wouldnt be comfortable either...lol

When the mouse is lower than the table the receiver is on..by about a foot..give or take an inch or two... and farther away than the average..about 4 feet.... id suggest you actually attempt it with my setup... I know what my data suggests...the wireless mouse sucks... of course you have to take into effect whether you hit a target or not can be hard to gauge each time with an evolving game where you cant get the same gameplay each time in multiplayer.. but the end score is a pretty good indicator of overall effectiveness...

I game with my G7 on a monitor hooked up by a 50ft HDMI cable that is in a room 30ft away from the actual PC and G7 reciever. The mouse works perfectly and I can throw up 10:1 KD ratios in source, and am doing pretty damn well in BC2 as well (which has horrible mouse mechanics compared to source).

I also game on my projector which is 5 feet away from the PC. There is no difference whether I am using the G7 30ft away or 5ft away, and the science behind it backs me up (there is literally around 1ms transmission time for 2.4ghz wireless).

Either your mouse sucks or it's in your head.

Tempted to pick up a Mamba myself, but I too have fallen victim to Razer's quality issues (Lycosa sticky key problem).

One of my friends has the Mamba, and he loves it.

That said, it is exceptionally picky about which mouse pad you use. He had to go through about 5 different pads before he found one where it wouldn't drift. Evidently, this is a common problem.

I have never experienced similar problems with my G5, even at 2000dpi. Admittedly, the Mamba is even 'faster', although at some point it just gets absurd.

The Mamba is also exceptionally spendy for a mouse, especially when there are plenty of decent wired gaming mice for under $40.

same as audiophiles with coat hangers and "gamers" with crts, all placebo effects

I loved my G7 and like my MX revo

The difference between 60hz and 120hz is definitely not a placebo effect. I've had numerous people just randomly comment how much smoother it feels if they use my pc. They usually think it's because the computer is better. Hell... try it yourself, hook up your ancient crt and set it to 120+ hz and ignore the colors and just see how fluid the mouse movement is. It beats actually watching it refresh.

The difference in a wired and wireless mouse these days in terms of latency? Negligible at worst.

The only reasons not to use a wireless mouse is the added weight, don't like the shape, or fear of battery issues while being forgetful to charge it.

I won't go for a wireless mouse for two reasons:

1) It is pointless. I am at my desk, everything is wired, what good does a wireless mouse do me? The mouse wire is not a problem and just one wire of many.

2) It is an added potential problem. The most likely is the battery dying. I don't want to have to deal with that, if there's not a reason.

I'd use a wireless mouse if there were a reason to, but on a desktop I just don't see it.

Who believes this shit? I have a MS wireless Blue Track and it is fucking awesome! The only thing I don't like about it is I have to change a battery every two weeks, and that is harmful to the environment. Not any more harmful than the rest of the non-degradable shit my PC is made out of.

I must not be a serious gamer then. If that is the case, then I don't think I want to be.

To date, the actual wire getting caught and restricting movement has gotten me killed more than anything. That never happens with a wireless mouse. This isn't 1995. Wireless mice are fine. Anyone here still use hardware ball mouse through the PS2 port? That would have lower latency than anything USB with a sensor of some kind.

You're not a serious gamer unless you attach force feedback to your nut sack.:rolleyes:

I won't go for a wireless mouse for two reasons:

1) It is pointless. I am at my desk, everything is wired, what good does a wireless mouse do me? The mouse wire is not a problem and just one wire of many.

2) It is an added potential problem. The most likely is the battery dying. I don't want to have to deal with that, if there's not a reason.

I'd use a wireless mouse if there were a reason to, but on a desktop I just don't see it.

You know, you guys have convinced me. I'm throwing out my Performance MX and going back to a corded mouse. Haven't had a problem yet, but after listening to you guys I bet I'm long overdue for something bad like ebola, AIDS, or cancer. While I'm at it I've decided to get rid of my horseless carriage too, its just such a hassle to have to remember to put gas in the darn thing, not to mention having to change the oil. From now on its just putting the feed bag over Mr Ed's mouth for me.

Seriously guys, a lot of you are car enthusiasts, and all of us are computer enthusiasts. Spending a lot of time tweaking and pimping cars for sometimes questionable benefit, or we do our case mods and buy fancy cooling setups to get just a couple degrees lower temp or a little higher overclock, yet there is a whole damn river of QQ at the idea of having to either charge batteries every few days or replace non rechargables every couple of months. Aren't we all smart enough to be able to combat these problems? All I have to do when my mouse is under half charge is plug it in when I go to bed that night and when I wake up, its charge and I'm good for 3-4 more days.

Try one, you'll like it. I promise it won't hurt.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCwQ8wIwAw#

This is the exact mouse I have. It is cheap enough, that I challenge anyone who thinks there is something wrong with a wireless mouse to try it. One Duracell AA lasts around 17days. The rechargeable that I use now last around 14 before I have to swap with the one in the charger. A tiny red light comes on about 16 hours before the mouse just shuts off. During that time, the mouse never has tracking errors or anything like it. This was the first wireless mouse I have ever bought for my gaming rig.

I like it better than any other mouse I have used to date. It tracks on every surface. Even clear glass.:eek:

One of my friends has the Mamba, and he loves it.

That said, it is exceptionally picky about which mouse pad you use. He had to go through about 5 different pads before he found one where it wouldn't drift. Evidently, this is a common problem.

Spent the last hour looking around for these problems, and as you say it is quite common. Unfortunately it seems the Mamba and the black Icemat don't play well together. So that's one mouse I can rule out. Think I'll stick with Optical mice for now :p

I think its more an issue of a quality wireless gaming mouse costing double what a high quality wired one costs.

I would like to own a mamba but i settled for a naga at half the price.

Spent the last hour looking around for these problems, and as you say it is quite common. Unfortunately it seems the Mamba and the black Icemat don't play well together. So that's one mouse I can rule out. Think I'll stick with Optical mice for now :p

Razer mice and black mouse pads just plain dont work. Its not just the mamba i have seen it with my naga and the wifes old razer mouse as well.

My G5 never cared though.

Thing is, before I recently purchased a Steelseries mouse that I'm currently using, I was using a Razer Diamondback for a good 3 years on the Icemat with zero issues. Hell, I can move that Diamondback 5mm above the mat and still not get any skipping :p

Pft. Serious gamers won't use wireless mice because they're all using controllers.

Seriously just get a LS1 or something and be done with it. Real gamers used to use ball mice. Wireless drop outs are a big pain in the ass, but not that frequent. But the reason I got rid of all of mine was those godamned batteries. I wish someone would make one with a battery like the PS3 controller. Plug it into the USB cord and it's a USB controller and charges the battery, unlug it and its wireless.
No of equipment is going to make you legendary. and if anyone can't play with a ballmouse on concrete they're a noobitch.

Wireless works great now. A lot of you are living in the 90s with the first early wireless mice. Granted charging them sometimes suck if you forget to place it on the charge overnight, but my MX1000 lasted days without a charge and was just as responsive as my G5 was.
The main reason to go wired is to reduce input lag. No matter how good of a wireless mouse or keyboard you have, wireless always has lag. Lag you may not even notice, but if you're a pro gamer it's something you don't want.

Today, you have enough devices which reduce your response time in games. From your LCD screen to directly to your mouse, and everything in between. I'd even go so far as to reduce game latency by altering the router by installing DDR-WRT and getting an awesome network adapter, like Intel network adapters. Back when Nforce2 meant something, the network adapter could even reduce latency by using HyperTransport bus instead of the PCI bus.

This is how far people would go to get an edge in games like Counter Strike. Every little bit helps, even if you don't notice it. I remember that I even increased my mouse polling rate, so that it would refresh more often. Pretty sure that's something you can't do on wireless mice.
Also, a lot of regular mouse cords are way too short if you have your tower on the floor or at any distance away from your keyboard. Wireless mice are also great for playing on a TV for instance, where the keyboard and mouse might be across the room from the box.
For my HTPC I have a Logitech mouse that sit across the room. It's fairly good, but I do run into problems with signal quality. Apparently, these devices aren't mean to be more then 3 feet away from the receiver. Not very wireless if you ask me.

Seriously guys, a lot of you are car enthusiasts,

Try one, you'll like it. I promise it won't hurt.

So wait... Your thesis is that I am a jerk because I personally don't use a wireless mouse. I didn't say I have a problem with them (I don't) or that I wouldn't use one if I had a reason. But you think I should ditch my wired mouse and get a wireless mouse just because?

Why? what does it gain me? Please note that I like my mouse. I'm happy with it, I don't want anything different. Why should I spend additional money on a wireless mouse? Just to make you feel like your purchase was validated?

I don't hare wireless mice, we use a wireless mouse that can be used in the air (Gyration mouse) at work in the conference room. However there's no need at my desk. My wired mouse reaches where I want it to, and works great, never needs batteries. I could go out and get a nearly similar wireless mouse now, the G700, but it would cost me twice as much as my wired mouse did, never mind that I already own the wired mouse.

To me it sounds like some wireless mouse buyers aren't secure in their purchase and thus need to push it as the One True Way(tm).

Either way works just fine, so long as you get a mouse that meets your needs. There isn't a right kind of mouse.

Back