Why Microsoft Redesigned Windows

And once again, a "great Microsoft thread" descends into the bowels of Linux. :cool:

gentoo.jpg

I find it particularly humorous that at the time that touch-screens are gaining popularity, mechanical keyboards have done the same. I just see a certain amount of irony in that both can claim how touch is better for interaction, but only one is actually tactile.

mechanical for enthusiasts ... maybe... your stretching here really... you forget [H] is maybe... %1 of computer users in the world..

I doubt they are gaining popularity as you wish it was in the general joe blow market.

mechanical for enthusiasts ... maybe... your stretching here really... you forget [H] is maybe... %1 of computer users in the world..

I doubt they are gaining popularity as you wish it was in the general joe blow market.

They're definitely a more high end product, but where a year or two ago you'd see very few mechanical keyboards in shops, now you see a hand full in most shops (at least in Australia). At work I got myself a Das Keyboard to replace the squishy POS HP keyboard they give us and everyone who uses it immediately comments on how nice it feels.

They're definitely a more high end product, but where a year or two ago you'd see very few mechanical keyboards in shops, now you see a hand full in most shops (at least in Australia). At work I got myself a Das Keyboard to replace the squishy POS HP keyboard they give us and everyone who uses it immediately comments on how nice it feels.

It has nothing to do with the HP keyboard being uncomfortable. We all know you just like it when people touch your spacebar and tell you that it feels nice to use it.

Trying to imagine how a tactile dildo i.e. joystick would work as a touch device for desktop users.
You would be able to do several unique gestures that you can't do on a touch screen, One particularly comes to mind...
American touch dildos will of course come without the foreskin and the décalottage* gesture, just like American keyboards have less keys than most international keyboards...

* For once, French has a single word when English has only a long descriptive expression. Dirty frogs...

Trying to imagine how a tactile dildo i.e. joystick would work as a touch device for desktop users.
You would be able to do several unique gestures that you can't do on a touch screen, One particularly comes to mind...
American touch dildos will of course come without the foreskin and the décalottage* gesture, just like American keyboards have less keys than most international keyboards...

* For once, French has a single word when English has only a long descriptive expression. Dirty frogs...

they're called dragon dildos

I'm still using an original IBM mechanical keyboard, from back in the days of the old PS2’s.
Label on the bottom shows it was made in 1995, so that’s already 17 years old, and I’m sure it’s good for at least that many more years. Plus I have a spare I can use for parts, just in case :)

It has nothing to do with the HP keyboard being uncomfortable. We all know you just like it when people touch your spacebar and tell you that it feels nice to use it.

What can I say, I have a nice space bar and use it well so that people love to get acquainted with it.

Wait, were you still talking about keyboards? My bad :D

It was merely an observation. I was somewhat taken aback that I've even seen mechanical boards in Best Buy. I expected them in Microcenter (though, perhaps, not nearly in the numbers I saw them) but I didn't expect them in Best Buy. I would say though that there are probably more people out there with mechanical keyboards than there are with touchscreen computers and that both combined would be a drop in the bucket compared to membrane keyboards and non-touchscreen setups.

I'm still using an original IBM mechanical keyboard, from back in the days of the old PS2’s.

I used to own a pile of those old IBMs that i aquired from somewhere. Wasn't as good as the $15 keyboard for gaming so threw them out. :D

Probably should have kept them and sold them to people...

Oh shit it dawned on me.. Metro was designed with a mind set of a Female.

Its a well known fact that women and men have some major differences when it comes to logic and reasoning.

Men are more specialy oriented and tend to take the aproach of function over looks.
Women are better at things like humanities and linguistics.
Modern sure might look pretty to some women, look at it it looks like a 80 pastel interior design failure, has piss poor usability with the traditional desktop methods, but it looks pretty on a shiny glass surface.
Is windows 8 a fashion experiment? It sure as hell is buggier in my testing then 7 and has a lot less functionality when it comes to tasks that are heavily oriented at detailed and precision tasks that require constant interaction from other applications. (with out making 100 links on my taskbar)

It was merely an observation. I was somewhat taken aback that I've even seen mechanical boards in Best Buy. I expected them in Microcenter (though, perhaps, not nearly in the numbers I saw them) but I didn't expect them in Best Buy. I would say though that there are probably more people out there with mechanical keyboards than there are with touchscreen computers and that both combined would be a drop in the bucket compared to membrane keyboards and non-touchscreen setups.

Most people probably don't even know they are buying a mechanical or not keyboard, people do willing buy a touch screen based device.

BestBuy has often "tried" to cater to the hardcore gamers, but most know better than to shop at bestbuy.

Most people probably don't even know they are buying a mechanical or not keyboard, people do willing buy a touch screen based device.

BestBuy has often "tried" to cater to the hardcore gamers, but most know better than to shop at bestbuy.

Best Buy does have pretty good prices for the average component, but the "enthusiast" level peices of equipment are horribly priced and/or outdated. I did get my H50 from them for $35 when the H60 first released. I remember getting a green 1TB from them for $65 when they were still going for 80+ online. I laugh when I see them make stabs are selling video cards, the only time I bought a GPU off of them was the 7800GTX+ AGP to keep my A64 3000+ system still kicking.

I enjoy Windows 8/Windows Server 2012. IMO, The start screen is a big improvement over the old start menu.
Everything I need is right there, easy and fast to get to. Instead of having to sort through cluttered menus.
I also use only a mouse and keyboard with these OSs, and don't see why people think they're made for touch only. They made to bridge between touch and mouse/keyboard, and do that quite well.
Also ribbon UI in explorer is great. I only have to press alt+hcp to copy the file path instead of right clicking the file with alt pressed and waiting for the menu to come up until I can click copy as path (just one example).
I do have some complaints about the metro ui apps, but then again I don't have any real use for them. It seems they are made more for a tablet than a regular pc.

Back