Why is gaming on the console better than the PC.

Grimlaking

2[H]4U
I know that sounds like a very strange statement. But for this I do mean for single player games or FPS/racing games. RPG's I still think the PC could be king.. but isn't for me and I will detail why. (MMO's aside. I won't MMO on a console until I can communicate fluidly.)

1. I can't cheat.

Ok yea that's it really. I don't know why but whenever I got into PC gaming WAY back in the late 80's I started finding ways to cheat. Even got a sub to cheathappens.com For me the content of the story is better than the mechanics or difficulty of the game.

I know I know I should just watch a movie or whatever.

But for me I like to game on the console because it shoehorns me into playing the GAME and not just watching the story.

Perhaps I am the only person to consider this. I am curious if others of the [H] have the same thought or similar. Please do share.

You can cheat on consoles too with mod chips or other trickery. I still don't see how your ability to cheapen your single player experience makes one better than the other though?

tumblr_mly2iqBpC71qjemo2o1_250.gif

Is OP asking a question?
I can't tell. Some of the sentences are formed as questions, but do not end with a question mark.

OP makes my head hurt.

The only games that are better on consoles to me are multiplayer games where the 2nd player is sitting next to you, like video board games, or Wii bowling. PC is better for everything else.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't started a console vs PC flame war yet..... :D

To me the PC is very equal to consoles for multiplayer games (maybe not MMOs). My wife and I play 2 player games on my rig from time to time using two wireless xbox controllers. Feels just like a console to me, hell I even run my rig on a 40" 120hz HDTV.
If I play a FPS game with my controller it feels like a console.....but a keyboard and mouse are far superior there. I do think playing racing games with a keyboard is pretty lame, for those I do prefer my controller or a racing wheel.
With a PC you have more options when it comes to how you want to play your games, with consoles your pretty much stuck to a controller.

My favorite thing about PC gaming is the entry fee. Not every parent buys their kid a 1,200 dollar gaming PC.. but they can afford a cheap console. I prefer this because the level of competition and the amount of immaturity is vastly lower (IMO) then on consoles.

My favorite thing about PC gaming is the entry fee. Not every parent buys their kid a 1,200 dollar gaming PC.. but they can afford a cheap console. I prefer this because the level of competition and the amount of immaturity is vastly lower (IMO) then on consoles.

Well, you did say "IMO", but I really haven't found this to be true, at all...

The same amount of idiots play PC games, as they do console games. Actually I'll venture to say that I've encountered A LOT more idiots in PC-based MMO's than in any other genre/device.

Get some control of yourself lol.
You dont get your dick out at the dinner table I hope, apply the same common sense :p

PC gaming is much better, more immersive for many reasons.

Console gaming USED to be better or at least on par than PC gaming. The golden age of JRPG's was the best gaming I have done in my life. NES, SMS, GENS, SNES, Saturn, PS1, N64, and PS2 where a god damn good time.

However games like FinalFantasy have turned to shit. Games like Dragon Quest, Persona, and the remanding good JRPG have moved to handheld 3DS and Vita. Leaving me nothing to play on Console that I can't do better on PC.

I used to be 80% console 10% pc 10% handheld.
Now I'm 1% console(demon souls), 69% PC 30 % handheld.

Not to say PS4 wont change that...but its not looking promising.....and if JRPG's ever move to PC console will be dead to me forever.

you realize posting stuff like this on (h) is like throwing barrells of gasoline inside a dragon cave! consoles can never compare to the mighty PC!!! ARRRRRRGGGG!

Console gaming USED to be better or at least on par than PC gaming. The golden age of JRPG's was the best gaming I have done in my life. NES, SMS, GENS, SNES, Saturn, PS1, N64, and PS2 where a god damn good time.

However games like FinalFantasy have turned to shit. Games like Dragon Quest, Persona, and the remanding good JRPG have moved to handheld 3DS and Vita. Leaving me nothing to play on Console that I can't do better on PC.

I used to be 80% console 10% pc 10% handheld.
Now I'm 1% console(demon souls), 69% PC 30 % handheld.

Not to say PS4 wont change that...but its not looking promising.....and if JRPG's ever move to PC console will be dead to me forever.

Vita for life...! ;)

But no, agreed all around. We'll see where things go in the next 5-6 years...

Genrally speaking I find PC gaming (when done right) to be far superior to console gaming. but IMHO nothing really compares to a really well polished title no matter what platform it's on

Exampled include

Batman Series on PC
ratchet and clank, jax and daxter series
Mario
Unreal Tournament

I remember when my friends were like, "these graphics on the PS2 are amazing" and "my game looks better on the 20 crt". simple math said that pc games at 1024x768 just looked better than 240x480, but people didnt believe me. I think the same can be said about today's games, PC games could be way better, but people don't recognize that, and they are underdeveloped.

No this is not intended to be flame bait.

Just my perception. I am so used to having to do things to get a game to run right that it has become ingrained that I will make the game play as I see fit. And in some cases this is doing myself a disservice because I overcome or circumvent mechanics that are core to the game.

To me this is very similar to someone going to a fine dining restaurant and putting salt and pepper on their meal before they take the first bite. It is something I need to stop doing and only put in place IF it turns out it would actually make the game better for me.

When it comes to consoles that has never ever been the case. The games just work. You don't tweak settings or resolutions or anything else. You put the game in. You play it.

(well ok I did tweak it. I didn't like the screen lag when a xbox 360 was trying to display at 1080p so I downed it to 1080i and used my receiver to up-convert that to 1080p. but you get my point.)

Allow me to restate why I think the console is truer to the game than the PC in the CURRENT generation of games.

On the PC the requirement to go in and modify settings of the game to fully exploit the hardware/OS that you are running on, and in some cases modify the self same, has gotten me to the point that I am customizing the gaming experience BEFORE I ever play the game. In some cases this means I do not get to enjoy the game as it was designed. On the console this is not an issue, because it is not an option.

*TANGENT BELOW*

My son who started gaming on consoles was recently given a laptop that can game. I had to go in and modify his resolution to make the game look as good as it could for him to get the experience edge that the PC gives him. This makes me wonder how many gamers are out there looking at the low res versions of games and thinking.. "PC gaming sucks... my console looks better and this costs 3 to 4 times as much." (or ailienware.. 10 times as much. )

This leads me to believe we as a community need to come up with a tool that will detect a users actual settings and let them play the game on settings automatically that are closer to what their real world systems can handle for that "PC" magical gaming configuration. Some vendors try.. but it hasn't hit 100% for me.

I remember when my friends were like, "these graphics on the PS2 are amazing" and "my game looks better on the 20 crt". simple math said that pc games at 1024x768 just looked better than 240x480, but people didnt believe me. I think the same can be said about today's games, PC games could be way better, but people don't recognize that, and they are underdeveloped.

I don't think games like Crysis were underdeveloped. Poorly coded maybe. But underdeveloped I don't think so.

Now ported or games with plans to cross over are definitely underdeveloped. But some games still attempt to push the PC capabilities.

My son who started gaming on consoles was recently given a laptop that can game. I had to go in and modify his resolution to make the game look as good as it could for him to get the experience edge that the PC gives him. This makes me wonder how many gamers are out there looking at the low res versions of games and thinking.. "PC gaming sucks... my console looks better and this costs 3 to 4 times as much." (or ailienware.. 10 times as much. )

This leads me to believe we as a community need to come up with a tool that will detect a users actual settings and let them play the game on settings automatically that are closer to what their real world systems can handle for that "PC" magical gaming configuration. Some vendors try.. but it hasn't hit 100% for me.

I don't think anyone is looking at PC games run on under powered gear are thinking that console is better...except maybe the special people. The majority of gamers, kids included, understand what a video card is and its role in the graphical presentation of a game.

Last edited:
The same amount of idiots play PC games, as they do console games. Actually I'll venture to say that I've encountered A LOT more idiots in PC-based MMO's than in any other genre/device.
A good rule of thumb is that anyone with an Internet connection will eventually turn into a mindless rage machine. There are some games that seem to foster really good, mature communities, though, and there are games that invite immature players. Common sense would probably dictate that the PC is more open to the types of games that allow for more mature player bases than the consoles, but there are bad parts of town on all platforms.

I met a guy named blinx in Unreal Championship on Xbox Live and he was pretty immature, but then so was I. Then he grew up to be a mature PC gamer. :D

do you mean playing a PC game while sitting on a console?
otherwise this doesn't make much sense.

I don't think anyone is looking at PC games run on under powered gear are thinking that console is better...except maybe the special people. The majority of gamers, kids included, understand what a video card is and its role in the graphical presentation of a game.

I don't give Joe public that much credit, but Nvidia's geforce experience tool can help them.

I split my time between the PC and the 360. Some games I prefer on the PC, others on the console. they both have their strengths and weaknesses. nothing inherently wrong or better with either.

there is one significant advantage the console holds, and that is a game will always work. there is no game breaking hardware conflicts, OS conflicts, driver issues, etc.

there is one significant advantage the console holds, and that is a game will always work. there is no game breaking hardware conflicts, OS conflicts, driver issues, etc.

Not really there are some games on the 360 you lose features if you only have the arcade version of the console.

Console experience is anything but pop in a disc and play now days. You have to manage hd space and you can't just pop in a disc and expect it to work on the ps3. Expect to have to wait on a system update if a game requires it on top of the other updates needed if the game has other major bugs like save corruption problems that even the biggest budget games seem to have. And on top of that gaming on the consoles themselves isn't a very smooth experience with freezes from time to time on both 360/ps3 more so than my pc ever does while gaming.

there is a difference between losing some functionality and the game flat out not working because you have the wrong hardware, drivers, os, etc. given the cost of expanded memory options for both the 360 and ps3, being less than the cost of a single game, I suspect the limitations of arcade versions are rarely limiting functionality for their users.

game updates occur automatically and require no effort on the players part other than accepting the update. there is no seeking out of patches, researching driver version conflicts, etc. game save corruption is an issue that affects both platfroms, bad coding is bad coding.

99% of the time you pop in a console game at it works, properly. 5 years later, assuming the console is functioning, so does the game. ten years later, the same thing. its the advantage of coding for a fixed hardware set. you don't look for the system requirements or whether you will need a hardware upgrade when purchasing a console game. I buy a new 360 game, I know it will work with my 360. I buy a new pc game and I have to make sure my rig will run it. yes the pc version may look prettier, play smoother, offer more functionality and a more immersive environment for the story to be told, but its on me to make sure my hardware and software are within the coded parameters in order for it to do so.

I can understand people preferring console games because you don't have to spend nearly as much time troubleshooting to get a game to work, on average. However, when a console does mess up, you're usually screwed. You can fix a PC and swap out parts. You can play PC games from a lot longer ago, and if an old game doesn't work out of the box, you can make a virtual machine to make it run. Basically, if you have a lot of tech knowledge, a PC is a better investment. But make no mistake, it is a HUGE investment, if you want to do it right.

I can understand people preferring console games because you don't have to spend nearly as much time troubleshooting to get a game to work, on average. However, when a console does mess up, you're usually screwed. You can fix a PC and swap out parts. You can play PC games from a lot longer ago, and if an old game doesn't work out of the box, you can make a virtual machine to make it run. Basically, if you have a lot of tech knowledge, a PC is a better investment. But make no mistake, it is a HUGE investment, if you want to do it right.

But if your Xbox is truly screwed, isn't replacing it straight up an easier, and probably a cheaper solution? I mean an Xbox really is two parts the console and the HDD. If the Xbox dies, get the cheap HDless slim and toss your HD in (or if you have a non-slim grab the 250GB unit and do a transfer), or if the HDD dies, just plug in a new one.

VS. PC, CPU dies boom $200-$300, plus removal and reinstall time. Mobo, Gut the PC, $150-$200, reinstall basically everything. Video card $200-$500. Memory $80-$200. HD on top of reinstalling the OS on the new one (or restoring from back up) $200-$350 if SSD, $80-$150 HDD. PSU $60-$200. Optical drive if you have one is about the part in a system that won't ever be more expensive than a console. And the cost of replacement goes down a lot if you look to used.

But if your Xbox is truly screwed, isn't replacing it straight up an easier, and probably a cheaper solution? I mean an Xbox really is two parts the console and the HDD. If the Xbox dies, get the cheap HDless slim and toss your HD in (or if you have a non-slim grab the 250GB unit and do a transfer), or if the HDD dies, just plug in a new one.

VS. PC, CPU dies boom $200-$300, plus removal and reinstall time. Mobo, Gut the PC, $150-$200, reinstall basically everything. Video card $200-$500. Memory $80-$200. HD on top of reinstalling the OS on the new one (or restoring from back up) $200-$350 if SSD, $80-$150 HDD. PSU $60-$200. Optical drive if you have one is about the part in a system that won't ever be more expensive than a console. And the cost of replacement goes down a lot if you look to used.

How often have you had everything on your PC go at once? Not to mention, if you build your computer right, a "hardware failure" becomes a "neccesary hardware upgrade!". :-D

Besides, PC components often have individual warranties that you can leverage to get them replaced within a year or two without charge (or little charge). After that period, if you replace the hardware with the exact same part, it's considerably cheaper.

Consoles are so convinient compared to PC for the average guy.
I have friends that play on Xbox exclusively and I would call them hardcore
gamers.
Why do they play on console, Well because they cant imagine spending
1000.00+ to have to learn to play on a mouse/keyboard setup.
Sure you can use your Xbox controller, but your going to be
introuble when coming up against and experience keyboard/mouse player.

Consoles are what drive most new games , like we can see here on the
BF3's selling rate for consoles/pc.

•Xbox 360: 2.2 million
•PlayStation 3: 1.5 million
•PC: 500,000

For every PC gamer there are 6.5 Console gamers Estimated.
I also do enjoy purchasing a new game and just
putting in the disk and letting my console do the rest.
You dont need a PC desk.
You dont need much room either.
Consoles now can hook up to most TV's.
Im a hardcore PC gamer and do enjoy my consoles as well.

It's not.

Different games are often better on different platforms, there's nothing wrong with this. Part of this has to do with the developers, part of it has to do with the nature of console vs PC, and some of it has to do with the better (read more skilled and better to play with) community just liking one platform over another.

I certainly wouldn't want to play Starcraft or Diablo on a console. I've played fighters on the PC and the community is so pathetic it's insane to play fighters on anything but console or arcade hardware. These are games where the hardware to run it is fine no matter what, but where the people worth playing against make the entire world of difference from it being worth your time, or a waste of time.

Likewise for some stuff like BF3 consoles hardware does become a bit of an issue, but for a lot of games (like Dragon's Crown which I'm picking up today) the hardware isn't an issue at all so why bother with driver updates and having to maintain the box.

Most of the people I know consoles, pcs, smart phones and play different sorts of things on all of them.

Back