WHS v2 Codename Vail

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Just as i promised an full install of the latest WHS v2 Vail.

If there is something specific you want to see, or know about just ask. And i will test it out.

Enjoy :)

Heres the Installation
WHS2-Screenshot2.png

WHS2-Screenshot3.png

WHS2-Screenshot4.png

WHS2-Screenshot6.png

WHS2-Screenshot7.png

WHS2-Screenshot9.png

WHS2-Screenshot10.png

WHS2-Screenshot13.png

WHS2-Screenshot47.png

WHS2-Screenshot48.png

WHS2-Screenshot50.png

WHS2-Screenshot51.png

WHS2-Screenshot52.png

WHS2-Screenshot62.png

WHS2-Screenshot64.png

WHS2-Screenshot68.png

WHS2-Screenshot69.png

WHS2-Screenshot82.png

WHS2-Screenshot70.png

WHS2-Screenshot72.png

WHS2-Screenshot76.png

WHS2-Screenshot81.png

WHS2-Screenshot84.png

WHS2-Screenshot90.png

WHS2-Screenshot91.png

WHS2-Screenshot92.png

WHS2-Screenshot93.png

WHS2-Screenshot97.png

WHS2-Screenshot107.png

WHS2-Screenshot108.png

WHS2-Screenshot109.png

WHS2-Screenshot110.png

WHS2-Screenshot111.png

WHS2-Screenshot115.png

WHS2-Screenshot117.png

WHS2-Screenshot120.png

WHS2-Screenshot121.png

WHS2-Screenshot122.png

WHS2-Screenshot123.png

WHS2-Screenshot124.png

WHS2-Screenshot125.png

WHS2-Screenshot127.png

WHS2-Screenshot129.png

WHS2-Screenshot132.png

WHS2-Screenshot133.png

And after the Install

do want: your hardware
do not want: bloated 2k8 based WHS

fingers crossed the script the shit out of it and shrink the footprint for install, and system resources footprint while running. time will tell.

from your testing,

does vail support volumes >2TB?

does vail improve on drive management?

is it possible to back-up the system drive?

is WMC installed and/or supported?
that is, could I install a TV tuner and have the server record live TV?

how much memory does vail support?

what is the base memory usage of vail?

thanks

from your testing,

does vail support volumes >2TB?

does vail improve on drive management?

is it possible to back-up the system drive?

is WMC installed and/or supported?
that is, could I install a TV tuner and have the server record live TV?

how much memory does vail support?

what is the base memory usage of vail?

thanks

>2TB i dont know yet i only looked at it for about an hour last night.

Backup the system drive.. Yes, it uses the server backup function builtin to 2008

WMC is not installed, and since this is essentially Server2008 Standard it will not be able to be installed.
If you want to install tuners you could install SageTV.

Vail is 64bit only so i think it supports up to 128TB of memory or some unatainable number.

Base memory usage? I dunno i didnt look, but it should be close to a regular install of server2008.

So what's new in it?

I dont know i really have just isntalled it, and taken those screenshots.
I will know more tonight when i dig into it some more.

So can you back up a remote computer through the internet?

You can do this with WHS 2003. You just need a VPN.
This version will be the same way.

so say you want to upgrade your MB and CPU and switch the Vail
would this work?

build new system, install OS
take drives from old WHS and connect to the new one - isn't the data accessible by other computers?
for the system drive, either move everything but the OS off of it, or hook it up to your desktop and copy everything besides the OS to another drive and then add that drive to the new WHS

of course you would lose any settings, but I think you would keep all backups and shared folders this way

Do you think it is possible to do an upgrade install from the current WHS to Vail?

How exactly does the system drive backup feature work...is it fairly straight forward to the user, maybe with the ease of use that duplication has?

Do you think it is possible to do an upgrade install from the current WHS to Vail?

How exactly does the system drive backup feature work...is it fairly straight forward to the user, maybe with the ease of use that duplication has?

It is not possible to ever upgrade any Windows OS that is 32 bit to 64 bit.

System drive backup, is very simple.

It opens a wizard, tells you you can backup to external drives, network device, and there is an option to use an internal drive but its discouraged.

So you just select where to save it, and what volumes you want to backup, including system state and bare metal restore.

It is not possible to ever upgrade any Windows OS that is 32 bit to 64 bit.

Yes this is correct.
Yes settings will have to be restored by other means and there will not be an upgrade option in the installer.

I think what most people mean by upgrade is keep the data pool intact.

So I can click on a user and see all the shared folders he can gain access to?
No need to enable his access/denials on each shared folder individually?

So I can click on a user and see all the shared folders he can gain access to?
No need to enable his access/denials on each shared folder individually?

Yea you can do it by user
I think you can in the current WHS too, i dont think that has changed.

It opens a wizard, tells you you can backup to external drives, network device, and there is an option to use an internal drive but its discouraged.

So you just select where to save it, and what volumes you want to backup, including system state and bare metal restore.

that sounds very useful

Yea I guess what I mean by upgrading was that is it possible to make the switch from WHS1 to WHS2 and keep the data pool intact (perhaps duplication has to be enabled)? Some people have TBs of data which I am not even sure how you would migrate that.

As for the system drive backup...I wasnt clear on how exactly Drive Extender or Duplicator would handle that. With the current WHS, you can't exactly make a clone of your system drive or even just the system partition due to the tombstone structure of pointing out where all the files are and on what disk.

Looking forward to this. I went from a 2008 R2 server to WHS last week and love WHS now. It will be nice to get back to the updated 2008 R2 platform.

Any other extra features in there that aren't in WHS v1 that you can tell us about? I know there were some features that original users wanted to see, like a trimmed down exchange server, and others that have slipped my mind for now.

thanks nitrobass:)
I remember that a setting permissions for shared folders outside storage pool couldn't have been done through the WHS console like described in a screenshot above.
Is that still the case?

WOW, I knew it was in the pipeline, but not this soon. Any ideas on estimated release?

And will this upgrade an existing machine with WHS shares?

WOW, I knew it was in the pipeline, but not this soon. Any ideas on estimated release?

And will this upgrade an existing machine with WHS shares?

You won't be able to upgrade like you would XP to Vista or Windows 7 but I'm sure MS will work something out so that your settings, users, backups and pool will be saved and moved to the new server. I guess someone could do a VM install and try it but chances are that nothing has been setup yet.

so you can backup the whole server to another system?

could you build a second WHS and backup the first one to a shared folder on the second?

could you build a second WHS and backup the first one to a shared folder on the second?

Would also like to know that. If thats the case Im done with any kind of RAID or external backup solutions.

Just imagine, having 2 WHS boxes, set up that one mirrors other automatically every day in other location via VPN - wet dreams :)

I was setting up a test box with R2 and installed the WHS connector software to see if it could see a Hyper-V WHS. I accidentally pointed the connector to the dedicated WHS box, and it just worked. Interesting note is that you get the same WHS notification if you haven't set up a new drive for backup in the R2 server as you do in Win 7.

Would also like to know that. If thats the case Im done with any kind of RAID or external backup solutions.

Just imagine, having 2 WHS boxes, set up that one mirrors other automatically every day in other location via VPN - wet dreams :)

Well the Server backup for the OS is just like Server 2008 R2 System backup. Image based and you would do that to an external device to recover the system in case of system drive failure.

As far as backing up the data, I havent really messed with that. What I would do If I had two WHS is setup DFS. That is exactly what DFS was designed for :)

Have you done any more playing around? Find anything useful?

I just installed it, but everything I tried to to as far as configuration was a breeze. Worked so well it was actually boring, and a completely event less click though set up. Home group, server domain, backups all took less than 30 minutes to configure. Installed ati 4 series drivers without a hitch, updates and started populating it with large test files. Streaming a HD mkv streaming as I type.

Specs on my test system are pretty beefy for a home server thou e8400 2gb ram. Very cool product and most likely will be what I use. Its just so much easier than other solutions MS has made it idiot proof. Still have some apps I will use to test, and won't get all my server parts for a week or more.

If video/blu ray playback is as I expect it to be I will use it and replace both my current server and HTPC consolidating it all in my planned build.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for the next major build to take a revisit, since it seemed a lot of stuff wasn't finished or half-implemented in build 7600.

I've been waiting for the next major build to take a revisit, since it seemed a lot of stuff wasn't finished or half-implemented in build 7600.

Yea i havent seen one yet.

@Bacon.....what build version are you using?

Other than 64 bit support and a UI overhaul, I'm struggling to see any improvements coming from WHS 2k3

Other than 64 bit support and a UI overhaul, I'm struggling to see any improvements coming from WHS 2k3

For basic users, there really wont be any....that i am aware of.

For power users tho, it should allow WHS to also act as a AD, DNS, DHCP server...possibly hyper-v as well.

Now if they would only install Media Center on there

Back