Who's folding large?

I looked in the bios, it was set to 1.26875, that is quite a drop from the 1.2 it was showing. :eek:

However, I changed it to auto and this.......

*snip

This is horrid, I'm switching back, even if it takes forever to get in and out of the VM.

Edit, FAHMon had not had a chance to refresh the VM info, it was running though.

Wow, that's kinda scary if it was manually set at 1.26875v and CPU-Z was showing 1.2v at full load. I'm not sure what would cause that besides if it wasn't at full load and you had speedstep enabled so it lowered the voltage, but it was at full load so that wouldn't make sense. What mobo you have?

lol, sorry, I'm being really nosey about all this. I just want to see if my OC experience is similar you your alls.

What do you like about Win 7 over other OSes in regards to folding?

I'll tell you it's really smart about memory allocation. I don't know how it does it, but I have 5 GB out of my 6 GB total allocated to my VM and I'm able to play games (L4D 1&2, BF2) with no slowdowns or hard drive thrashing/page filing. It amazed me I could do that and still make 6.5k PPD while gaming for 5 hours, lol.

Edit:

NO WAY!! :mad: I guess I jinxed myself talking about my OC, I thought for SURE it was stable this time at 1.26875v. I was 2 days and 97% complete on my first -bigadv WU and it just now BSOD'd! RRWWAAAAARRR.. :mad::mad::mad::(. Even though it BSOD'd before I was able to salvage the WU, but this time it said it was corrupted. Soooooooo ghey.. is there any way I can salvage the old WU? I was SO CLOSE!

I don't think it's the vCore now, what voltages are you all running otherwise on your DRAM bus and QPI/DRAM Core volt?

Last edited:
What do you like about Win 7 over other OSes in regards to folding?

I was talking about folding nekkid, but I do like 7,

As T4rd said, the memory allocation it the biggest part. It also seem more snappy with less resources available.

myoc.jpg

See where I BSOD'd at 97% there? :mad::mad::mad:

Anyway's, here's my settings for now. I really hope I can stop messing with this now and just turn in a friggin -bigadv WU. I have yet to finish one yet. This is my 4th attempt :mad:.

Now I'm curious. What stepping is your CPU? C0 or D0?

-haven't bluescreened for a loooong time here.

Someone remind me to do more research and try pushing my OC more.

I was talking about folding nekkid, but I do like 7,
Oh definitely, totally agree. I fold semi-nekkid myself with permanently open boxen. :cool:

As T4rd said, the memory allocation it the biggest part. It also seem more snappy with less resources available.
You mean less resources consumed?

I just installed SMP and am having trouble getting it working. I followed the [H]orde rules but when i start the .exe, i get: folding@home core shutdown: file_io_error

If you mean the windows smp client, are you using the latest exe? Stanford has drop In parts for the smp program
If you mean otherwise, i'm not Much help on my phone
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Now I'm curious. What stepping is your CPU? C0 or D0?

-haven't bluescreened for a loooong time here.

Someone remind me to do more research and try pushing my OC more.

Mine is a CO (you can see my code name in that pic, Bloomfield = C0). What CPU, DRAM bus, and QPI/DRAM core volt are you at with your 3.8 OC? I bumped my DRAM bus and core volt up a couple steps last night after my BSOD :)mad:). I can't believe it took it almost 3 days to BSOD :(.

You mean less resources consumed?

Yes, that's a little bit, but it's also really smart about efficient RAM usage. Like I said, I have 5,000 MB allocated to my VM, on top of the OS and all my monitoring software, it still manages to keep my RAM usage below 95%. THEN when I decide to play a game of L4D2, I see my RAM usage go DOWN like another 5% or so. I guess it's page filing some low priority/usage processes for the OS to make room for my other demanding apps. (such as my games). I never used Vista so I can't compare it to Win7, but I don't think any other (Microsoft) OS is this smart about its resources.

Wow, that's kinda scary if it was manually set at 1.26875v and CPU-Z was showing 1.2v at full load. I'm not sure what would cause that besides if it wasn't at full load and you had speedstep enabled so it lowered the voltage, but it was at full load so that wouldn't make sense. What mobo you have?

Kind of stalking the thread but what I think you are refering to is the voltage drop on the board which is very common. OC professionals tend to run their own wires on the back of boards to reduce voltage drop in oc competitions.

I keep waiting to try and get the large units, but no dice yet. I've entered a passkey and should be damned close, if not already completed 10 units that way. I'll keep watching.

But another one of my NotFred VM instances just quit yesterday after completing the unit and never uploaded it. By the time I noticed it it had been sitting idle for almost 8 hours and meanwhile the second instance finished it's unit, uploaded, and continued on.

I keep waiting to try and get the large units, but no dice yet. I've entered a passkey and should be damned close, if not already completed 10 units that way. I'll keep watching.

But another one of my NotFred VM instances just quit yesterday after completing the unit and never uploaded it. By the time I noticed it it had been sitting idle for almost 8 hours and meanwhile the second instance finished it's unit, uploaded, and continued on.

Why are you running 2 VMs? You get the same PPD as you would with one VM with the cores combined (from the two separate VMs) and it takes less memory that way.

I just tried to use -bigadv and I'm getting the same WUs as my normal "big" SMP clients.

I'm kind of new at this but installed the client, set as a service, added "-bigadv -smp 8" to the service in the registry. using win2k3x64 btw. any reason why I'm still getting the shity 1920point SMP Gromacs cores?

*edit* I just noticed that its only using 4 processes instead of 8. what the heck am i doing wrong?

Thanks

I'm guessi g seperate rigs

I just tried to use -bigadv and I'm getting the same WUs as my normal "big" SMP clients.

I'm kind of new at this but installed the client, set as a service, added "-bigadv -smp 8" to the service in the registry. using win2k3x64 btw. any reason why I'm still getting the shity 1920point SMP Gromacs cores?

*edit* I just noticed that its only using 4 processes instead of 8. what the heck am i doing wrong?

Thanks

are you running native linux or Notfreds?

Notfreds wont do it.
linux you have to download the new executable.

are you running native linux or Notfreds?

Notfreds wont do it.
linux you have to download the new executable.

I'm running a win2k3 x64 VM on an IBM HS21 blade with dual quad core xeon 5335 . I got 8 cpus assigned to the VM. using VMware ESXi 4.0

damn it! I'm such a linux tard. maybe i can convert that vmware player 3 image linked above to esx

What WUs are you receiving in your SMP client? If you added the -bigadv flag, you should be receiving these special WUs from the start unless there is a setup problem.

Notfreds doesn't support -bigadv WUs yet. You will need to use another Linux distro for success with -bigadv.

There is something wrong with your configuration whether it's hardware or client setup.

I cannot advise you on proper service-based client installation since I never use this method, but see below...

If you used the -smp 8 flag, the client should use 8 cores whether you are running -bigadv or regular SMP. The only thing that will prevent this from happening is the lack of hardware resources, ie., missing cores. If this installation is in a VM, you will need to edit the *.vmx file to enforce the VM to recognize 8 cores. Otherwise, the most you will ever get is only 4 cores processing irrespective of the flags employed.

When I ran the configonly and put in the -bigadv flag I'd get the 1920s. The only way I got my bigadv to download was to type in this command when I first start up the SMP:
./fah6 -smp 7 (or 8) -bigadv​

This is with VMWare Player 3.0 and the image from *VGA. :D

nice
thats something like what I'm hoping for with my rig

Why are you running 2 VMs? You get the same PPD as you would with one VM with the cores combined (from the two separate VMs) and it takes less memory that way.

They weren't separate VMs, it was two instances within the same one.

Notfreds doesn't support -bigadv WUs yet. You will need to use another Linux distro for success with -bigadv.

Well that explains that issue :)

I'm running Notfreds VM under Win7 on one box and the SMP console client under a WinXP on another. I'll check the SMP client again this evening to see why it cannot seem to get them.

Well i got the VM converted to esx. its crushing the normal "big" WUs right now. (apparently i need to complete 10 to get the -bigadv bonuses)

I'm really surprised by the performance. fahmon is calculating it at 6600PPD, while my other blade with two 4 proc smp processes (windows) are only getting 1400PPD each. That's insane.

I'm converting more copies of the linux VM to replace my windows VMs right now.

I'm really surprised by the performance. fahmon is calculating it at 6600PPD, while my other blade with two 4 proc smp processes (windows) are only getting 1400PPD each. That's insane.

I'm converting more copies of the linux VM to replace my windows VMs right now.
Windows SMP clients plain suck in performance and PPD. Windows SMP is also far, far less stable. I stopped running it at the beginning of the year. Besides that, you are locked in receiving only A1 WUs, which complete in much longer time further reducing PPD. The main reason Linux SMP is better is due to the A2 WUs completing in much shorter time yet worth similar points. You will see even better performance if you switch from 2 Windows SMP clients to one Linux VM instead of two or more VMs even if you stay with regular SMP WUs.

Yeah totally. I'm going fully Linux on my 4 blades.

*edit* I jsut realised that i got a pair of HP BL860 itanium blades and a chassis hooked up and colelcting dust. Do any of the linux distros support itanium procs? Deos fah?

Last edited:
If you mean the windows smp client, are you using the latest exe? Stanford has drop In parts for the smp program
If you mean otherwise, i'm not Much help on my phone

Windows 7 64bit. I used the latest .exe to replace the original.

Last edited:
Anyone have a different source for the Linux VMware files ? The hosting site listed on the evga site is well, less than useful. :)

Thanks Dookey, but that Hotfile site was the one I was talking about, It says I'm still downloading from them, which I'm not and won't let me get any of the other files.

Thanks for the offer mrmylanman, but I no longer have instant messengers installed.

I guess I'll just have to wait till that crap site times out or try at work tomorrow from a different IP. Pretty sad the files are hosted there when virtual servers are only 72.00 a year with unlimited bandwidth. I appreciate all the assistance here non the less. :)

Yeah I forget where I got it from. Was it rapidshare or something? I hate those sites, such a hassle.

Now that I think about it you might be able to find it on torrent somewhere (and since it's free no legality problems).

I do believe I'm folding large now, I just setup my i7 920 @ 4ghz to get started with the first 10 WU's before I tack on the bigadv flag.

Back