Who's folding large?

If you complete the workunit in less than 2.7 days, you'll see that you get credited 25k points in addition to the points value of the large unit. Basically, you'll see about 50k points credit rather than 25k.

First post Here will give you a better idea of times vs bonus.
You can see how the bonus drops with time.

Luck .............. :D

I guess that I got the bonus then??

11h9ts9.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm... If my VM has to reboot I lose all work. Any ideas on what to do about this?
I'm using the guide that Kendrak posted about.

Can you not Control-C to close the client, reboot your VM and then resume it once you bring the VM back up? I don't think you would lose any previous work if you did that, would you?

I think that there may be underlying issues now. I can't even get it to start. I'm just going to try setting it up from scratch. I must have messed it up by shutting it down wrong.

My suggestion is just make your own VM and install a normal Linux distro from scratch. It gives you a lot more control over everything and it's easier to troubleshoot from my experiences.

Any suggestions as to which distro to use? Ubuntu doesn't want to let me use bigadv for some reason.

My suggestion is just make your own VM and install a normal Linux distro from scratch. It gives you a lot more control over everything and it's easier to troubleshoot from my experiences.

+1 on this. That's the only way I run any VM with the exception of the couple Notfred setups I'm running together on some GPU boxen. Just curious, what Linux distro do you use on your setups there Zero? I've tried PCLinux, Ubuntu, CentOS, Crunchbang on mine. I think that Ubuntu is probably the easiest to set up and get rolling.

I use Ubuntu 9.04 on my secondary rig and Fedora 10 on my main rig's VM. I think I prefer Fedora a little more, and it seems that my SMP client on Ubuntu performs a bit worse than it should. The reason I stuck with Ubuntu for that rig is because the WINE GPU client setup guides are based on it and since I'm not too experienced with Linux, I wanted to make sure that I could just follow the guide all the way through and not have any troubles. For a pure SMP VM, I'd stick with Fedora.

Any suggestions as to which distro to use? Ubuntu doesn't want to let me use bigadv for some reason.

If in the log file it shows the line "Bad argument: -bigadv" then you need to download a new fah6 from stanford.
See here

I use CentoOS in my VM's and finstall to install the clients as a service.
How I do it is Here
Its a little out of date now, but it still works fine.
I finally worked out where the default flags are stored with a Finstall install, so I can change them from -verbosity 9 -smp to -verbosity 9 -smp 8 -bigadv.

From the Folding Forums ...........
People using Ubuntu 9.10 should upgrade their system : an update to udev has been released and seems to help with performance issues on this distributions (and cores not being fully utilized / idling).
Doing that may speed up your folding.

Luck .............. :D

Dang! My wife logged me off last night and there's no point restarting the job. I'll run a few 1920s and try again when I get back home from work.

Any suggestions on how much RAM I should have installed to run -bigadv and a GPU or two? I have a feeling the 6Gb I have is cutting it close.

Dang! My wife logged me off last night and there's no point restarting the job. I'll run a few 1920s and try again when I get back home from work.

Any suggestions on how much RAM I should have installed to run -bigadv and a GPU or two? I have a feeling the 6Gb I have is cutting it close.

I give my bigadv 4gb

I think you're right.

The guy on evga allocated 3500mb to the VM for 7 core bigadv. Says you need 4.5gb for 8 core bigadv.

I had 7 core bigadv and two GTX275s folding on win 7, and I had about 500mb of RAM to spare. Without any other apps running.

I wish another 6gb kit was cheap. My 6gb corsair, which I bought for right around $100 over the summer, is now $150.

I think you're right.

The guy on evga allocated 3500mb to the VM for 7 core bigadv. Says you need 4.5gb for 8 core bigadv.

I had 7 core bigadv and two GTX275s folding on win 7, and I had about 500mb of RAM to spare. Without any other apps running.

I wish another 6gb kit was cheap. My 6gb corsair, which I bought for right around $100 over the summer, is now $150.

look in the FS section, you can get cheap ddr3 now days

Wow, if it needs that much RAM, what does the upload look like?

I have these Corsair 1600 cas 8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...top+Memory)-_-Corsair+(XMS+Series)-_-20145236

I would like to match these, or get as close as possible, for around $100. I've been watching the fs forum, but haven't seen much to my liking.

You have the exact RAM I do too. I got my first set for $120 off the FS when I first built my rig. I've been semi-interested in another kit too. I didn't think I'd need more than 6GBs though... until I started this folding stuff, lol.

I'm in the midst of setting my my -bigadv setup now, we'll see if it's necessary. If I run into a deal though, I'll keep you in mind ;).

Just changed my Skulltrail's System over to -bigadv inside a VM.
At 3.4 Ghz I'm doing a frame every 33:15 mins.
Looks like ~11k PpD basic and ~14k PpD bonus.

Luck ............. :D

You have the exact RAM I do too. I got my first set for $120 off the FS when I first built my rig. I've been semi-interested in another kit too. I didn't think I'd need more than 6GBs though... until I started this folding stuff, lol.

I'm in the midst of setting my my -bigadv setup now, we'll see if it's necessary. If I run into a deal though, I'll keep you in mind ;).
appreciated!

Just changed my Skulltrail's System over to -bigadv inside a VM.
At 3.4 Ghz I'm doing a frame every 33:15 mins.
Looks like ~11k PpD basic and ~14k PpD bonus.

Tiger,
How much RAM is the VM using/allocated?

Tiger,
How much RAM is the VM using/allocated?

I gave the VM, 5 Gb of memory when I built it.
vmware-vmx.exe is useing 4.576 Gb now.
I'm thinking of expanding it to 6 Gb and see if the VM will use the extra.
And if it does, will the times come down a little.
I've ~2.2 Gb memory free out of 8 Gb which is the max the Skulltrails can support.

If I build an i7 box it seems either 8 or 9gb is the min.

If I build an i7 box it seems either 8 or 9gb is the min.
6gb is the min.

8 or 9 is more like optimal

6gb is easily fine if you stick to normal smp. My i7 is running the 10 normal units right now. vmware is only using 40mb and Windows has 2.5gb available. I'll post back again once I have concrete numbers when I resume bigadv.

I have 6GB and I set my VM to 4GB. The system monitor in Ubuntu says that its only using 80% of the ram.

Oh, any idea why I can't get Ubuntu 9.10 to install? I'm running 8.04 for my VM.

Just set up a second box with -bigadv.
Running native linux, CentOS 5.
Its only using ~4.2 Gb of memory, out of 10Gb.
So ~5 Gb is prob the minimum memory size a VM can run on.

Luck ............ :D

I'm trying to get an idea what kind of CPUs and clockspeeds it would take to comfortably make the deadlines for -bigadv. Dual i7 server procs would certainly be enough. Single C2Q systems will never make the cut, nor will any single-socket AMDs that are currently available. I will list all configurations that I think may or may not suffice depending on the CPU speed. Does the i7 8-series perform the same as 9-series in folding clock/clock?

i7 9-series, required clockspeed:
i7 8-series, required clockspeed:
dual C2Q, required clockspeed:
Dual Opteron, required clockspeed:

If a rig is on the threshold of making the -bigadv deadline, what would it's ppd be if it was doing regular SMP production on all available cores. If we can determine that number it may give us a frame of reference for all of the other configs. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've just finished my first -bigadv work-unit.
The results are ~95Mb in size and took me an hour to upload.

I understand that if you don't hit the four day cutoff for the bonus for any reason, then you'll get the same PpD as a standard work-unit.
As for CPU's vs time, Look Here.

My Xeon's @3.41 Ghz do a frame in ~34 mins. ~11k PpD + bonus.
My Xeon's @2.66 Ghz do a frame in ~43 mins. ~8.5k Ppd + bonus.

I just started running -bigadv on my i7 @ 4Ghz...Current average time per frame is 33 minutes...I have 4.2 Gigs of ram allocated to the virtual machine, and currently windows is only showing 53% utilization of my total 6 Gigs...

...Comes out to around 11k ppd +bonus...all these bonus points should be giving us all a decent ramp!

/fold on

I have to keep babysitting it because it stops in the middle of a WU and says this:

Code:
[01:41:26] Completed 115000 out of 250000 steps  (46%)
FahCore_a2.exe[2380]: segfault at b6f93eo ip 00000000006a22027 sp 0000000040abe9a0 error 4 in
[01:41:40] 
[01:41:40] Folding@home Core Shutdown: INTERRUPTED application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 102) - process 0
[01:41:48] CoreStatus = 66 (102)
[01:41:48] + Shutdown requested by user. Exiting.
Folding@Home Client Shutdown.

I dunno wtf is "interrupting" it, but it's pretty annoying and I'm about to go back to Notfreds if I don't figure it out soon. This is using the linux image from this guide here (that Kendrak recommended) running -smp 8 in low priority.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm about to make a thread on it if no one sees it here.

Thanks!

How much memory does your VM have ??
I gave mine 5Gb and its useing 4.8Gb.
If you only gave yours or left it a the default of only 4.6Gb then try increasing it 5Gb and see if it makes a difference.

I've been running the bigadv in idle when I'm using a GPU client as well. It pulled a segfault and shutdown on me once and I had to bump up the RAM for the VM and FAH for the bigadv client to play nice with the GPU. I think I had it at -smp 8 when this happened too.

How much memory does your VM have ??
I gave mine 5Gb and its useing 4.8Gb.
If you only gave yours or left it a the default of only 4.6Gb then try increasing it 5Gb and see if it makes a difference.

Anyone went to sell/give me another 6GB kit then? lol. I have 6GBs right now and normal usage for me while not folding is already 1.5 GBs, so I can only comfortably allocate ~4GBs to it. Maybe I'll pop one of my thumb drives in and try out that "readyboost" tech Microsoft touts in Vista and Win7 (where it uses a flash drive as you page file instad of your HDD - supposed to be faster). I think I actually only have the default 3600MB allocated to it. But I'm not even running -bigadv yet.. should I need it for normal/big WUs? I'm just trying to do my first 10 WUs with passkey right now. I find it insane if the regular big WUs are over 3.6 GBs.

Thanks!

Back