Who's folding large?

Good call sir, good call, please post ASAP as I will watch this really closely
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'm downloading SUSE 11.2, which has kernel version 2.6.31 so I'll see if it improves performance on my smp units and if it does I'll move my bigadv servers over to it.
I had briefly tried openSUSE over a year ago. I found it to be resource heavy and it kind of lagged on my systems in a VM. Maybe my hardware wasn't fully supported. Don't know about its performance in a native installation.

Out of all the big name distros I tried, SimplyMEPIS was the easiest, most feature-rich and Windows-like distro. I liked it the best as a Windows replacement environment. Only problem is again, it was resource heavy. For regular SMP these distros are OK, not sure about -bigadv...

Actually to spice it up more, I'm going to do a shootout.

openSUSE 11.2 vs CentOS 5.4

I've got two 4core HS21s with identical TFP so it should be a good comparison.
Can't wait to see the results. More interested in the kernel performance differences though (if any). :cool:

/checks to see if its up yet

/hangs head and returns to working in the basement

you're gonna have to wait... the SUSE download is taking FOREVER, it already stalled once. I'll have to do it via BT this weekend or something.

I wont be using it as a VM, I'm going bare metal with the Linux distros. I'll also be doing a non-gui install for max performance. This might not be practical for home users but I'm looking for best case scenario numbers for my server env.

I'm thinking i should try slackware too. That's what the pre-built -bigadv VM is based on. And i'm sure if it's still, but it used to be the stripped down linux distro.

any early hint of results? If so, I'll start the DL's tonight

Not yet. I cant really do OS installs from home the VPN access isn't great for mounting DVD images remotely. I'm also going to be extremely busy this week as I've got to get all my on going cases done before i start my Xmas vacation.

I'm probably going to have to put this off till i go back to work in the new year. :eek:

I wasn't a big fan of OpenSUSE when I tried it last (which was 10.something) it was really really slow. But who knows things may be different now.

I ordered another 6 GB of RAM which should be arriving this week. Task Manager said that I was using 94% which includes my bigadv VM, two video cards and all the cr*p processes that Vista feels that it has to run. So I thought the extra might help give me a little extra breathing space.

Once upon a time I thought the 48k in my Atari 400 was a lot.

I got my first -bigadv WU the other day. It was a nice shot in the arm for the day.

I'm also looking at getting another 6gb. That's just crazy to actualy be using all of that space.

I'm also looking at getting another 6gb. That's just crazy to actualy be using all of that space.
To tell you the truth, I find this trend a bit upsetting. I never would have expected a DC app to require vast amounts of main memory to run. Since the project began, it has never required huge amounts of RAM even under a VM. Historically, I have always been rather conservative with my RAM installations. Not low, but not generous either. Now, most of my systems have been rendered inadequate if not obsolete.

To tell you the truth, I find this trend a bit upsetting. I never would have expected a DC app to require vast amounts of main memory to run. Since the project began, it has never required huge amounts of RAM even under a VM. Historically, I have always been rather conservative with my RAM installations. Not low, but not generous either. Now, most of my systems have been rendered inadequate if not obsolete.
To be fair, -bigadv units were never designed for consumer systems. They were always meant to be the huge projects that Stanford crunched when they managed to get some supercomputer time. It's just a fluke that now some consumer machines (i7) are actually powerful enough to crunch them in a reasonable amount of time.

That's because bigadv isn't designed for consumer-level hardware, it's designed for people who fold with dedicated servers, VM machines, and the like, who have multiple-socket, multiple-thread processors and upwards of 16GB of RAM to run them on. It's just a fortunate coincidence that i7's just meet the criteria for the -bigadv work units in processing power, if not in system memory, usually. That's why they're trialling the bonuses with these units, and why the bonuses are so big; just like how SMP is supposed to reward people for contributing extra resources (CPU cores, mainly) to the project, the bigadv work units just go up another level for people running server-level hardware which is overpowered for the normal SMP work units but who are not being rewarded proportionately for the cost of hardware, power, etc.

Last edited:
I just formatted my i7-860 to run native CentOS 5.4, and now have a -bigadv unit processing. I've got the chip with a slight OC to 3.5Ghz under a Corsair H50 WC unit, and things seem to be rolling nicely. I know that this CPU was running no higher than 54C with a GPU and Notfred's under Win7 at 2.9Ghz before I reformatted, but I'm curious if any of your hardcore Linux guru's out there can give me suggestions to monitor my CPU temps under Linux though. A gadget is fine or even a command under the CLI is fine too.

Right now my frame times seem to be right at 35 minutes, so it looks like I'll be GTG concerning bonus points. :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

CentOS treating you good? That's what I plan to use

CentOS treating you good? That's what I plan to use

I like it. I've actually been using it on three of my work servers to host VM's on for over a year, and it's been solid as a rock. I goof around with different Linux installs every once in a while, but CentOS has always been a distro I go back to.

is CentOS CLI only?

Does it natively have a gui?

Im looking for something that could be a possible daily driver replacement for win7 x64

Nitro - CentOS comes in both Server and Desktop versions. For the desktop, you have a choice of either a GNOME based desktop or a KDE desktop.

For those of you running the EVGA vm how are you monitoring it?
I set it up in HFM.net but im having timeshift issues.

This is the second box ive tried and I get timeshift issues on this VM.

For those of you running the EVGA vm how are you monitoring it?
I set it up in HFM.net but im having timeshift issues.

This is the second box ive tried and I get timeshift issues on this VM.

I think timeshift is just something you have to deal with.

So you not monitoring yours?

Sure I am. On HFM.net the status box is just blue instead of green

/shurgs

hfm.jpg

Stock..... it is in the sff box in the neighbors house. The box has a bit of issue with heat as it is.... didn't want to make it worse.
And you're getting 4300PPD on a 353-pointer? That's better than my overclocked 9600GSOs.
Do you have anything in the offset value?
You only need to use that if the client is still showing as hung. If it is, let me know and I can help you set up the offset value.

mines like that, i dont know what the deal is. I have identical VMs set up the exact same way and some are green and some are blue.

Back