Who else has an SSD that died?

Has an SSD died on you?

• Total voters

l88bastard

2[H]4U
Just trying to see if anyone else has fallen into the same hell as me.

Long story short, stay the hell away from Corsair EXTREME SERIES SSDs.
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87524

Has anybody else had an SSD fail on them?

For those of you that have had an SSD die, what kind? Which controller chip? How long did you have it in use?

For those of you that have an SSD that is alive and well, what kind, what controller chip, and how long has it been in use?

=========================================================================================
[F]UCKING UPDATE:

I received my RMA replacement SSD today at 4:40pm from Corsair and it has already died. In less than 5 hours it is as dead as a doornail. Yes thats right, I have a $600 paperweight once again.

Sorry about the language and I am sorry if this hurts [H]ards business in anyway, but this is going on for over a month now and they are just terrible. What good is their friendly and polite customer service if their shit breaks in less than five hours!

Here is my less than candid message on their boards:
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=455007#post455007

I am completely disgusted with Corsair. My replacement X256 has died in less than five hours and I now have another $600 paperweight.

Here is the thread with my original problem:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=87524

Today, 6/18/10 at 4:40pm I received my replacement X256. I put it in my computer and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 64-bit on it. Then I installed Rise of Flight, then I installed steam with Dirt 2 & Grand Theft Auto IV, then I installed track IR 5, and then I installed the drivers for my Logitec G940. Then I went to dinner.

I came home from dinner and booted up my computer and guess what? NO BOOT, just the standard message telling me that I need to configure my bios for a proper boot device. I go into bios and it does not recognize the new X256. I tried it in all of my other Corsair 800D hot swap bays, and tried to reboot, but I GOT NOTHING. This drive is as dead as the original that I purchased, only this one died in less than five hours whereas my original lasted 3 weeks.

WTF CORSAIR!!!! IM DONE, IM TAPPING OUT, I DONT WANT THIS POS SSD ANYMORE AND I DEMAND CORSAIR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT NOW! AND I AM NOT GOING TO PAY FOR RETURN SHIPPING AGAIN EITHER SO GET IT TOGETHER OR IM SUING.

PS

I told the RMA customer support on the phone that I DID NOT WANT ANOTHER EXTREME SERIES X56 AND TO GIVE ME A PERFORMANCE SERIES INSTEAD AND THEY SAID THEY WERE GOING TO DO THAT, BUT THEY DID NOT. I also included in my return packaging a nice typed message indicating that this was to be exchanged with a performance series model, but apparently you people can't remember anything (just like your Solid State Drives) and you can't read either. I am sick of being understanding and I am no longer calm. I WANT MY FVCK1NG MONEY BACK.

Last edited:
Yes i had my first OCZ Core (JMicron) SSD die suddenly without really been used much. Actually i had two; the second one is still running.

I already read more reports about OCZ drives dying, could be a firmware issue where the drive 'bricks' itself and become unusable.

I haven't seen much problems related to Intel SSDs, though. And i don't expect for one of my four Intel's to die anytime soon. I would be quite disappointed if that would happen, knowing that the SSDs are used and handled properly.

No but I have over 20 to 40 hard drives that have failed. Although that is out of 100s. I have an Intel SSD.

No but I have over 20 to 40 hard drives that have failed. Although that is out of 100s. I have an Intel SSD.

Did any of those hard drives cost you $700, did any of those drives fail after less than three weeks of light use and did the merchant say you cant get a monetary refund, and did the manufacturer only offer you a lesser model for an exchange?

I am currently trying to get my seller to exchange it for and intel 80gb x-25 and an intel 160gb x-25

Did any of those hard drives cost you $700,

Yes. Most definitely. At home as a kid I had hard drives in the 80s. A 40 MB model cost that much back then and came with 5%+ bad sectors. Other than that SCSI hard drives from the 90s to early 2000s but those were work purchases.

did any of those drives fail after less than three weeks of light use

Yes at work. Probably 5 to 10 died in the first 3 weeks in the last 15 years.

and did the merchant say you cant get a monetary refund,

I have seen this to be a policy for a lot of online merchants.

and did the manufacturer only offer you a lesser model for an exchange?

I have not ever been offered a lesser model for exchange for an RMA.

Yes, Patriot Torqx - 128GB Indilinx.

Their first offer for my RMA was a SSD based on the new JMicron chip. I asked for, and received, a SandForce based unit. Which I'm having issues with...

For those of you that have had an SSD die, what kind? Which controller chip?

yes

My 60GB OCZ Vertex died on friday and is no longer recognised in the bios.

I've submitted an RMA request to OCZ but not overly concerned as I know their RMA process is relatively
painless!

I had a Corsair Extreme series x64 go belly up and I had no problem with the RMA.
The replacement has been going strong for the past 5 months and I'm still getting 150Mb write and 250Mb read scores in ATTO.
I believe the extreme series use the Indilinx Barefoot controller.

I must be the lucky one.

I've RMA'd a GSkill Titan and I have an Intel X25M G2 that died on Sat.

OCZ Vertex still going strong here @ 5 1/2 months. Still benches like it did the first day I got it.

On polish forum i read we have few dozens of SSD owners and only casualties have been Vertexes and Agility after firmware updates.

No dead Intels yet.

Well my X-25M G2 80GB died last night after 8 months...random BSoD, boot failure afterwards. Loaded up a Linux live CD and the SSD registered as 8.4MB...talk about $ per GB! :eek: Nothing can fix it, have to RMA.

I also recommended a X-25M G1 80GB to a family member, who had theirs die within 4 months, and is on a replacement. I felt pretty bad about that one, because they paid about $500, 1/3 the cost of the system, for something that I thought would be more reliable, and died in short order.

So far, I'm not the least bit impressed with SSD reliability, and my only experience has been with "quality" models. Don't get me wrong, the speed is impressive, but I don't trust them enough to store data on them (only OS/programs/games).

I also recommended a X-25M G1 80GB to a family member, who had theirs die within 4 months, and is on a replacement. I felt pretty bad about that one, because they paid about $500

Wow. I paid $185 for mine last year. Although it was used. ~100 hours and 8 GB written to it..

As for early death a mechanical drive can die at any time as well. At work we have had our share of infant mortality (drives deaths before 6 months) although I attribute most of that due to bad shipping. For SSDs I do not believe shipping will be a likely cause of infant mortality. More likely a buggy firmware.

They were an early adopter to the technology. I scored my G2 during the Newegg Black Friday deal, think it was under $200 after Bing Cashback.

I agree platter based HD's are more likely to be DoA due to shipping, but if a platter based drive makes it through the first day, I have more confidence in it lasting 1+ year than I do with a SSD.

The poll, so far, confirms this. SSD's simply haven't been available that long, so that have a ~25% failure rate among tech savvy users is very high.

So far, I'm not the least bit impressed with SSD reliability, and my only experience has been with "quality" models. Don't get me wrong, the speed is impressive, but I don't trust them enough to store data on them (only OS/programs/games).
I agree your experience sounds horrific. Is there any possible explanation for their failure? Did you update the firmware recently, any issues with the power supply?

As an SSD contains electronics, simple ESD or Electro-Static Discharge can kill the electronics component (not counting the actual NAND flash memory chips). I can also imagine it might be sensitive to overvoltage when a power supply goes bad. And a firmware issue might brick the drive, as happened to some other vendors like JMicron. Other than that, i can't really think of any reason why an SSD could fail prematurely.

But, given your recent experience, would you trust an HDD over an SSD? I think you should rely on backup instead of 'one disk that never fails'. I do understand you being disappointed with SSDs with two Intel SSD failures; if they were mine i would likely feel the same.

Last edited:
Two in a row is quite a stroke of bad luck....three intel's here and all are running fine :)

Had a vertex le 50gb die. My Kingston 128gb is still working after a week.

As an SSD contains electronics, simple ESD or Electro-Static Discharge can kill the electronics component (not counting the actual NAND flash memory chips). I can also imagine it might be sensitive to overvoltage when a power supply goes bad. And a firmware issue might brick the drive, as happened to some other vendors like JMicron. Other than that, i can't really think of any reason why an SSD could fail prematurely.

Possible solder come loose if it was kicked or dropped from 10 foot during shipping?

Still the G-force would be no where enough assuming it is in retail packaging; the SSD simply is too light to do much damage from falling and it should be extremely resilient to physical shock. I think there is a bigger chance of a 'weak' sample in the factory, where one tiny component was just barely enough to get it undetected past the quality assurance, and then fail after some time of use.

But these failures, when looking at a million sold SSDs, should be pale in comparison to figures of failed HDDs. It could be, however, that SSD manufacturers still have some issues or rough edges, while HDD makers have their electronics side well under control and have gained experience from mistakes in the past.

Still the G-force would be no where enough assuming it is in retail packaging; the SSD simply is too light to do much damage from falling and it should be extremely resilient to physical shock. I think there is a bigger chance of a 'weak' sample in the factory, where one tiny component was just barely enough to get it undetected past the quality assurance, and then fail after some time of use.

But these failures, when looking at a million sold SSDs, should be pale in comparison to figures of failed HDDs. It could be, however, that SSD manufacturers still have some issues or rough edges, while HDD makers have their electronics side well under control and have gained experience from mistakes in the past.

I have had regular HD failures, I am sure we all have at some point. Hell one of the reasons why I began building my own systems was due to a hard drive failure. However, every hard drive that has failed on me failed after years and years of use...and arguably were the cheaper brands of hard drives.

I would expect a little more than 18 days out of a $700 piece of equipment which is supposed to be the cornerstone of your computer and most precious data.

however, every hard drive that has failed on me failed after years and years of use

You are lucky with that. At work more than 2% of the drives we buy are either DOA or die in 6 months. On top of that about 1 to 5% die annually regardless of their age.

The poll, so far, confirms this. SSD's simply haven't been available that long, so that have a ~25% failure rate among tech savvy users is very high.

How do you get a 25% failure rate from this poll? :confused:

Had a 16GB mtron sata7025 die on me after about 6 months, but have a Samsung 32GB MCBQE32G5MPP working fine still.

Both SLC.

My Corsair NOVA still works fine, no problems at all. But its only got the OS and boot files on, so if that goes...It easy to replace. If theres anything extremely critical on and drive you should be using raid to mirror onto another drive.

Last edited:
Explain. I do not see any fail at all. There are a couple of users explaining their SSD failures. And then there was sub.mesa and I (both are experts in the industry) talking about hard drive and ssd failure scenarios.

Last edited:
My X25M hasn't died yet. At least not that I am aware of, It's been sitting unused for about a year now though. :(

I have a 64G vertex, 64G solid2, 4 64G agility's, a 128GB samsung, a 2 * 30G vertex , and I have an x25-m and a 256GB vertex on the way and none have died.

I am really lost here.

1 - Your drive failed.
2 - Corsair offered to replace your drive.

???

What's the problem? It sucks that parts die, but so far there's no evidence that anybody is out to screw you over...

My 120GB OCZ vertex went belly up about 2 months after purchase. Started with random blue screens during heavy drive activity and eventually after one crash it was in unflashed mode and would not detect in the flashing program. They were quick about replacing it, but was still a bit of a PITA.

Back