Which 670 to buy?

Too bad the only game worth playing right now is BF3.. I would love for another old school, updated FPS to come out.. UT2013? Quake 5? How about HL3?

I've actually found Tribes Ascend having the old school UT feeling. Not anywhere close to as good of a game, but it's a good time waster.

heh, I have a GT 520, talk about disrespecting my computer...

My computer probably hates me with this 8800GT right now. It's funny to play a game, turn up the graphics settings a bit, get maybe 20 fps, and watch the CPU usage nose dive.

I'm gonna try my best to get my hands on a GTX 670 4GB.

There are games NOW that can almost saturate all of the 2gb vram, and I will probably use this card for several years.

You know, I seem to remember a [H] article that listed all of the various popular games, and their video memory usage based on resolution. Can't find it atm, but was Q4 2011 I think.

Not sure if this is the one you meant, but it does list some games and vram.

Too bad the only game worth playing right now is BF3.. I would love for another old school, updated FPS to come out.. UT2013? Quake 5? How about HL3?

Exactly. It's also too bad they've done nothing to curb the cheating in BF3, and failed to add fire missions to prevent snipe-camping.

The original UT ruled, everything after had physics that some 'tard dreamed up... the bouncing was insufferable.

D3 had promise until they went the carebear route. Ugh.

amazon does not have any 4gb models up yet...
Much to my dismay. I watched the stock clocked EVGA card go out of stock while refreshing Amazon's search page for GTX 670s. I wasn't expecting them to be released this month considering the 4GB GTX680 situation.

I just want some Future Proof™.

BTW, is that Gigabyte card clocked HIGHER than the EVGA for $20 less?
seems to be the case looking at that list.

BTW, is that Gigabyte card clocked HIGHER than the EVGA for $20 less?
seems to be the case looking at that list.

Yeah. That Gigabyte card looks really nice. MSRP, clocked higher than the Evga SC, cheaper, and probably will be the coolest with that monster heatsink. Good stuff! I bet that one goes OOS first.

I know I really don't need a 670 to play D3 and even a 7850 is overkill, but the state of AMD drivers even now is making it really hard not to spend 150 more. Gahh :eek:

Yeah apparently so on the boost side, for the core side it is close to even, but I opted for EVGA because of better familiarity with the brand, the step up program, and the bad RMA stories I've heard about Gigabyte. If a GTX 685 or something comes out within the next 90 days I'm ready to step up.

Yeah. That Gigabyte card looks really nice. MSRP, clocked higher than the Evga SC, cheaper, and probably will be the coolest with that monster heatsink. Good stuff! I bet that one goes OOS first.

Its the one I would buy, if the ASUS didnt grab my attention so much :)

Just bought the Gigabyte GTX 670 OC from amazon for 309; 330 shipping tomorrow.
Quite the nice little launch from Nvidia here; I wasn't expecting AIB's to be doing custom products so soon.

Just bought the Gigabyte GTX 670 OC from amazon for 309; 330 shipping tomorrow.
Quite the nice little launch from Nvidia here; I wasn't expecting AIB's to be doing custom products so soon.

I assume you mean 409 and 430 but they gave you a shipping date already? I've been waiting the last hour or so for a shipping date to be emailed to me. So far I've herd nothing....

Disregard my post; I purchased the wrong item in excitement.... :rolleyes: Goddamn trigger fingers.
Luckily, I was able to cancel it.

lolol that is awesome, Enjoy the GTX 570 ? lol, glad you got to cancel, that would have been awful.

Originally Posted by 5icko
You won't use more than ~1.8gb.
Unless you run skyrim with all the texture packs installed. Unless games that come out in the next year or so need a ton of VRAM. There's a certain crowd here that's absolutely certain that no one will ever need more than 2gb of VRAM and I'm unsure as to how they reached that conclusion as there are some games that can use more than that.

How about when you add AA into the mix? I play at 2560x1600 but I still like to enable AA whenever possible.

pulled the trigger on the EVGA 670 SC from amazon (love prime...). The gigabyte version was either OOS already or not released?

Hope i don't regret waiting for the 4gb model, lets see how long it takes amazon to get the 4gb model, might be good for a return!

pulled the trigger on the EVGA 670 SC from amazon (love prime...). The gigabyte version was either OOS already or not released?

Hope i don't regret waiting for the 4gb model, lets see how long it takes amazon to get the 4gb model, might be good for a return!

the gigabyte version sold out within 5 minutes. They only had 20 in stock.

I would have done Amazon Prime w/ 2-day shipping, but I get hit with tax making large purchases really meh at Amazon. Would have paid ~$40 tax on $400 cards.

Have there been any reviews comparing the 4GB cards in Skyrim with the large texture packs at ultra high resolutions and max AA+AF?

the gigabyte version sold out within 5 minutes. They only had 20 in stock.

good info, thanks - looks like it's still in stock at the Egg, but i get taxed from them... hence why i pulled the trigger on the EVGA from amazon!

good info, thanks - looks like it's still in stock at the Egg, but i get taxed from them... hence why i pulled the trigger on the EVGA from amazon!

People in WA order from Newegg, people in CA order from Amazon. Silly taxes.

Has anybody come up with a reason to buy the SC version of the eVGA over the reference version?
Assuming I'm willing to do some manual OC...

Availability (if there is an availability issue that is)? eVGA apparently bins the SC chips so you might get a better OC'er if you go the SC route. Otherwise probably no serious difference.

Has anybody come up with a reason to buy the SC version of the eVGA over the reference version?
Assuming I'm willing to do some manual OC...

It's $20 more and will have a higher resale value. I wouldn't invest too much thought into it.

So the 670 is only about 5% slower than a 680? But $100 less. That's a pretty dam good deal. Just a slight overclock and now you have a 680 :) really

Availability (if there is an availability issue that is)? eVGA apparently bins the SC chips so you might get a better OC'er if you go the SC route. Otherwise probably no serious difference.

No availability issue atm. I'd never heard that the SC versions were binned though. I believe you, but... any proof?

Has anyone figured out if there are two different cards? And what is TOP?

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II 2 GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II 2 GB TOP

Has anyone figured out if there are two different cards? And what is TOP?

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II 2 GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II 2 GB TOP

The TOP has a higher oc stock. They are two cards.

Back