Which 27" IPS monitor is for me?

wooz101

n00b
My budget is $950. I am looking for a monitor that is excessively vibrant. I love colors that POP. I don't know why, but I do :). Something with lower input lag would be nice as well. Will the ACD fit the bill? Looking at IPS at the moment because I currently own the 2209wa, which is excellent but too small. Thanks guys!

Colors in glossy monitors POP more so I would recommend Apple Cinema Display.

I would recommend the Dell U2711.

It's wide gamut which means that it can basically saturate the crap out of colors as if the color knob went to 11.

I would recommend the Dell U2711.

It's wide gamut which means that it can basically saturate the crap out of colors as if the color knob went to 11.

I setup mine yesterday, while yes the colours are great and it is a fantastic monitor for extra vibrancy and POP, get a glass/glossy screen for sure. The Samsung screens look great. I must say i've no seen any personally but watching youtube videos and seeing photos of glossy display I can say those are what you want for POP.

I went for matte as I think this would be easier on the eyes when coding and surfing.

Stay away from IPS panels except for the Apple Cinema Display+Hazros since they use LG's nasty grainy anti-glare coating. Take a look into the Samsung S27A850D which has a much better semi-gloss coating.

yup

I'd rather deal with a little bit of AG grain than deal with reflections with the glossy ACD. But that's just me. Never noticed the input lag on my old dell 2407 PVA panel and haven't noticed it on my new u3011. BTW for $950, you could get the u3011 here in Canada this week :)

27" Apple Cinema Display, though you'll pay dearly for it.

Otherwise people seem to like the Dell U2711 or HP ZR27w/2740w.

Even if the Hazro could be shipped to the U.S., warranty is only available for UK customers. I wouldn't be comfortable spending $600 on a monitor without a warranty, personally.

I'd go for the Samsung S27A850D if you want a glossy screen.

you can do what i did and fix the u2711's aweful anti-glare and replace it with either less harsh anti-glare, protective coating or glass

do you have a write up on this?

It's a fairly easy process, there are many guides on the internet, google "remove ag coating u2711". you WILL need to replace it with something as leaving the panel exposed will damage the polarizer (you will get vertical lines after a few weeks or when you come to cleaning it). I got some special glass cut for it, but i'm sure you can also find none aggressive matt coating as well.

i thought i read hazro was trying to set up shop for potential US customers? maybe it was just a rumor

just got my apple cinema display for 950 dollars , hands down amazing display . . . I would say better than the samsung cuase of the back light bleeding issue the Samsung has , unless those issue have been ironed out

It's a fairly easy process, there are many guides on the internet, google "remove ag coating u2711". you WILL need to replace it with something as leaving the panel exposed will damage the polarizer (you will get vertical lines after a few weeks or when you come to cleaning it). I got some special glass cut for it, but i'm sure you can also find none aggressive matt coating as well.

ahh yes I'm familiar with removing the coating, just not replacing it with something else :)

The anti-glare thing might be a non-issue. Go to your local big-box electronics store and check out the different degrees of it. I had honestly never even noticed until I started lurking in this forum. A lot of people here are very anal about what the monitor must have/do. Sometimes people blow things way out of proportion, especially subjective stuff like AG coatings.

I believe these guys can replace the coating for you for a fee:

http://www.screentekinc.com/pixelbright-lcds.shtml#purchase

Nevertheless, I wouldn't replace the AG coating because a) you will void your warranty and b) you can cause damage do your screen that will be FAR more noticeable than any amount of grain associated with the coating itself.

http://www.overclock.net/t/908334/glossy-u2711-mod

I would really just get the glossy screen if you really think the AG coating will bother you and be done with it. While it is more noticeable on 27" models than others due to the higher associated pixel density, I don't have much of an issue with it personally, certainly not enough to spend the extra $200 on the Apple or Samsung.

The anti-glare thing might be a non-issue. Go to your local big-box electronics store and check out the different degrees of it. I had honestly never even noticed until I started lurking in this forum. A lot of people here are very anal about what the monitor must have/do. Sometimes people blow things way out of proportion, especially subjective stuff like AG coatings.

They don't blow it out of poportion. They "know what real people want, so what they say is fact."

Or something like that. Seriously, if you don't like AG coating because of what you read on the internet, find a cliff to jump off of. Because teh interwebz said it's fun - and you might land on a fat kid to buffer your fall :rolleyes: If you don't want to risk 150usd to find out if you like the U2711, then too bad, since the ACD is not without compromise, either. Hazro claims they have cleaned up their act after one (or two) closures that have customers hanging.

Or you could just get a screen with a light coating. Samsung S27a850d, or one of the older dell IPS panels - 3008WFP. They both have light coatings that do the job but don't cause graininess on white backgroudns.

I tried the u3011 and hated it. Returned it, got tired of seeing shimmernig on white backgrounds. The AG is horrible.

Back