When will we embrace UT3?

Maximos

2[H]4U
Well, it seems that COD4 is slowly dying down. When will the PC gaming community accept UT3?

There's some good discussion here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1252464

I'm hoping that the development of some more maps will help things along - there have been some that play well, but nothing like the amount (as can be expected at this stage) that UT2K4 has. Anyway - have a read of the thread, there's plenty of what you're after, I think.

Somehow I doubt COD4 is going to die any time soon, especially considering Christmas was 2 days ago. People will embrace UT3 when it doesn't suck... but even if they fix some of the game's issues, it may be too late.

When they fix it.

Has the PS3 community embraced the UT3? How well has the PS3 version sold? The console look and server interface wouldn't be an issue for the PS3.

The PS3 community HAS embraced the game. It seems they are only a fraction of the issues in the PS3 version that the PC version was plagued with...

Well, it seems that COD4 is slowly dying down. When will the PC gaming community accept UT3?
We'll embrace it when they ditch the idiot proof ui.

The PS3 community HAS embraced the game. It seems they are only a fraction of the issues in the PS3 version that the PC version was plagued with...
Console users will embrace anything new thats thrown to them.

Do you guys think it is worth a buy?
If you liked ut2k4 then no, wait a couple months until they patch it.

Do you guys think it is worth a buy?

Definitely. It does need more maps (and more variety in them,) but the game itself is great. I think many of the complaints leveled at it are valid, but I think they get blown out of proportion very quickly. It basically comes down to peoples' playing styles. Many like UT99 or UT2004. Both sides complain that UT3 isn't one or the other. It's actually a pretty good mixture of the two, and people will eventually get used to it I think.

The most valid comment I've read so far in my mind was someone mentioning that the weapons are closer to the original UT, (more powerful,) but the levels are more cramped, so it's harder to manage getting away from them.

Anyway, it's a good game, and I think people will warm up to it. There needs to be more community support, and they need to release a bonus pack yesterday.

LOL at the 'CoD4 slowly dying" comment. Just look on game-monitor.com and you will see that the CoD4 community has been doing nothing but GROWING and thriving since the games release. There is no sign of it dying anywhere. Instead, I see ladders forming and competition play going on everywhere. TWL is now hosting ladders for all game types, including ladders for Hardcore mod gametypes, and IRC is now swarming with channels dedicated to PUG'ing. Its only getting better.

While I agree that PC gamers need to embrace UT3, there is no way thats going to happen unless EPIC pulls a miracle out of their ass and fast. The 1.1 patch is definitely a start... but the issues that patch fixed were pretty blatant, and were pointed out by the demo players WAY before the game came out. Epic should have had those issues resolved before dumping an incomplete game on us... now it may be too little to late.

If Epic decides to even bother with keeping some shred of dignity with their PC gamers (who Mark Rein called their "Bread and Butter"), then they have to act fast. UT3 has potential for sure, and could provide plenty of replay value... but its all up to Epic to get it back on track right now. Fix some of the other significant issues, fix the interface, balance the weapons better, and release a map pack with good competitive maps for CTF and the other team based game types.

As far as I am concerned, everyone in the PC gaming world DID embrace UT3. EVERYONE was hyped for this game. We welcomed it with wide open arms, and got a turd thrown in our face. We were handed a half-assed demo, an incomplete game, paid good money to be essentially beta testers, and had our opinions and feedback ignored, censored, and deleted on the Epic forums.

So, the ONLY siginificant problem with the game is maps? And then there is the 'consolified' UI? Has Epic released any comments about these issues? I am really considering the game but am afraid of all of the negative comments about it.

So, the ONLY siginificant problem with the game is maps? And then there is the 'consolified' UI? Has Epic released any comments about these issues? I am really considering the game but am afraid of all of the negative comments about it.

A moderator at the epic forums has stated that they are looking into various UI options and they are well aware that the community is pissed off.

Maps are being released by independent map makers that are creating good maps rather than "cluster fuck I cant see shit because of the graphics" maps by Epic.

Everyone who played the demo should have immediately noticed there was nothing special about UT3. It doesn't bring that wow factor its predecessors did. And I haven't been keeping up on it much but it's no surprise to me it's not doing as good as expected.

Well its basically a deathmatch game with a little bit of team based play sprinkled in. It shouldn't really be that surprising that the game is doing so bad.

Just my opinion.

It's growing on me, fast. Sure is a hell of a lot quicker than UT2K4 - which I like. For those bleating about the UI, please, you don't play the damn thing, it's just something you look at for 5 secs before/after a game. Plus if you really want to tweak there are plenty of guides, however for the most part it simply isn't necessary.

To those 'scared' about purchasing because of what you've read - live a little. You've most likely spent a few $$$$/££££s on your rigs, what's $40/£20?? If afterwards you really feel that you made a terrible decision, there's always Ebay! It's my opinion that, if you've enjoyed UT in the past, it's quite unlikely you'll want to get rid. You know you're coming onboard at some point, best do it now - get some practice in - otherwise I'll have to frag you :D

i love ut3, nice graphics, FAST, performs nicely..... i never did taking a liking to ut2k4, but i like this one

When did console gamers start embracing UT3? I bought it and its almost impossible to find anyone playing and its a new game.

People will embrace UT3 when it doesn't suck... but even if they fix some of the game's issues, it may be too late.

Agreed. I played that game once and then shook my head in disappointment and never picked it up again.

I really think people are just sick of the same old gameplay. UT3 is pretty much UT2K4 with a graphics upgrade. It's almost identical in terms of gameplay.

People were expecting a whole new fresh spin on the series, but got just better eye candy. I honestly think this is why most people are disappointed in the game. The only new game mode is Warefare, which is the only game mode I find myself playing.

I really think people are just sick of the same old gameplay. UT3 is pretty much UT2K4 with a graphics upgrade. It's almost identical in terms of gameplay.

People were expecting a whole new fresh spin on the series, but got just better eye candy. I honestly think this is why most people are disappointed in the game. The only new game mode is Warefare, which is the only game mode I find myself playing.

I disagree with both paragraphs. UT3 is quite different when compared to UT2K4 (the distinctions have been covered in great depth elsewhere on these forums) - that's what a good number of people are complaining about! I greatly enjoyed UT2K4 (still do) - put many hours in to that game - and had to make a number of adjustments when translating to UT3. Warfare is not a 'new' game mode; it's a very slightly tweaked version of Onslaught.

UT*.*, as no doubt you are aware, is very fast (when compared to most other FPSs) - I think that, if you're new to it and find yourself on a server with people who've played UT for a while, it could get quite frustrating very quickly. I'm not suggesting that you fall in to that camp, just offering another POV.

People also complain that it's been 'consolized' (the UI has certainly been trimmed); however I would suggest that, so far as gameplay is concerned, perhaps this comment stems somewhat from a reluctance/inability to adjust. If it was ‘almost identical’ to UT2K4, as you assert, we wouldn't have all this bother! :)

So, I see that the mechanics of the gameplay have changed. Is that the huge fuss? No double jump, more realistic movement, watered-down UI, and more powerful weapons + smaller (some say lackluster) maps. Is that all? Seems like problems that can be dealt with...

There is nothing that can be done on Epic's side to increase the population for UT3. The problem here, is the new generation of pc users that have been brain washed with the slow paced army games over the years. Compaing COD4 against a twitch game, get real.

It's almost identical in terms of gameplay.

Either you're sleeping, or you're talking about a different game. The gameplay mechanics of UT2004 and UT3 are completely different. UT3 is much closer to UT99 in that respect.

IMO, the gameplay mechanics in most aspects are nearly perfect. In DM, I think UT3 plays much better than UT2004 and almost on par with the original(if not for the nerfed Flak Cannon and Sniper Rifle, they would be about equal). If it wasn't for the lack of good maps included with the game, I would say pick it up right away. I think it's definitely worth the money, just not until some more community maps are released and the game picks up steam, which I'm sure will happen in the near future.

Without insulting those that just repeat the same tired mantra over and over without even having played UT3 or the people here that base their opinion on a single map in the demo, I want to go on record and say that I bought UT3 the day b4 thnxgiving and I have pretty much enjoyed playing it every day since. I go for vehicle capture the flag mostly and there are no shortage of servers or players. UT3 went gold on pre-orders alone and the ps3 version is certified gold as well. I equate complaining about the interface to implying that you can t enjoy driving a Ferrari because they dont have cup holders... the thrills delivered overshadow any inconvenience. UT3 isn t perfect, but it is a lot of fun.

I got COD 4 a day ago and won't be putting it down any time soon.....singleplayer was great

Lack of maps..the game needs more CTF maps IMO and better DM maps. The graphics are nice but I don't need pipes and other stuff in the way all the time. I'm not into the vehicles, so VCTF and Warfare can vanish from the game tomorrow and I wouldn't give a shit. I never played Onslaught much in UT2k4 either, I tried to get into it but I couldn't. The UI did bother me at first but it's really not a big deal anymore. If anything that's the one thing people blew out of proportion...but I agree it needs improvement. Basically they need to add more options to the UI to be able to tweak the settings more from in game instead of opening the utengine.ini yourself. It wasn't a big deal for me to open the utengine.ini and tweak things but some people aren't going to want or know how to do that. All in all I enjoy the game...the online community needs to pick up though.

Its a plain boring game, no one wants to play it anymore. Just look at game monitor, there are more empty servers than actual people playing it, the sad thing is that bots count as clients connected to the server too.

I picked it up on release, and I'm still enjoying it.

I think you people take it too seriously.

If it's not your cup of tea, fine - you're just wasting your time hating on it.

I tried the demo. I am still in shock. I would purchase a gaming pc specifically for ut series, I enjoyed it that much. This game feels like it was made BEFORE ut99. It devolved & needs to be customized & customizable for the pc players as good as it was in the past at the least. I am viewing approximately 300 US players on a Saturday night during the holidays. I don't think this has ever happened to the ut fans/community! Are they making demo servers available with a PATCH? to make it appear worth it to buyers? So Far I am not opening up my Christmas present. If it isn't ready now maybe next year they will get it right like they did in ut2k3 with ut2k4 lol. ut2k8 unreal tournament 2008 for the PC ONLY.

Shlomo says it well ....
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1252464&page=10

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=50410:confused:

So, I see that the mechanics of the gameplay have changed. Is that the huge fuss? No double jump, more realistic movement, watered-down UI, and more powerful weapons + smaller (some say lackluster) maps. Is that all? Seems like problems that can be dealt with...
They are, but people love blowing things out of proportion. Look at all the, "I've played it once/for 5 minutes and uninstalled it" comments. All that says to me is, "look, I'm a dumbass who judges books by their cover then go around trying to sound like I have a valid opinion." Most people just played Deathmatch and assumed that's the entire game. This isn't CS, UT games have always had multiple gameplay modes.

Also, on this very page you'll read comments from people who think it's too similar to UT2004 and from people who think it's too different and Warfare sucks even though it's 95% like Onslaught. They obviousely can't both be right - it's impossible. It's all a matter of personal choice, but the fact is that the game is very good so people pick on just the tiniest of things and claim the entire game is crap because of it.

To everyone that says it plays differently than any other UT3 game, how so? What is so different about it? Please provide specific examples.

Each game offers the same exact style, speed, and method of game play. The entire game is executed almost identically in each game . Each game is only beefed up with nicer graphics, maps, and different or tweaked gamemodes. In it's essence UT2k4 = UT3. How are the mechanics of CTF in UT2k4 any different than in UT3?

Please don't get me wrong, I really like UT3. I will always be a fan of the UT series. I am not bothered by the fact that the servers are mostly empty at all as I prefer to play with bots. My only big complaint is the quality and quantity of the included maps.

I just wish Epic would bring me a whole new meal instead of just better side dishes.

To everyone that says it plays differently than any other UT3 game, how so? What is so different about it? Please provide specific examples.

Each game offers the same exact style, speed, and method of game play. The entire game is executed almost identically in each game . Each game is only beefed up with nicer graphics, maps, and different or tweaked gamemodes. In it's essence UT2k4 = UT3. How are the mechanics of CTF in UT2k4 any different than in UT3?

Please don't get me wrong, I really like UT3. I will always be a fan of the UT series. I am not bothered by the fact that the servers are mostly empty at all as I prefer to play with bots. My only big complaint is the quality and quantity of the included maps.

I just wish Epic would bring me a whole new meal instead of just better side dishes.

Argh, holy shit man, I can't believe half the stuff in your post. UT2k4 = UT3? You must've not played UT2k4 at all if you sincerely believe that.

The entire style of gameplay from UT2k4 and UT3 is completely different. UT2k4 is completely hitscan dominant with hide and seek play heavily promoted with floaty physics involving moves like dodge jumping across maps, and the the big factor: the shield gun.

You simply cannot play UT3 and UT2k4 the same way and expect the same results. Sure, if you're a casual player who just plays UT and enjoys spamming around with the flak cannon, I guess the game doesnt change that much for you, but for a crazy UT fan that analyzes the game down to the core there are many key differences.

There's more of an emphasis on projectile weapons in UT3 just by looking at the weapon damage. A rocket can instant kill a target that just spawns, which is absolutely crazy if you ask me. It UT2k4, they tend to do anywhere from 82 to 95 damage (dont quote me on that, I'm running off of very little sleep on this post.)

Also, positive feedback loops that created incredible unbalances in UT2k4 are for the most part eliminated from UT3. Once a team established control of major power ups like the 100a and the amp, they basically can start carrying away in the game at an incredible speed that just keeps getting faster and faster because of adrenaline. If you kill a lot, you're rewarded with adren, and you eventually just go for the booster which gives you free health regen until you're fully stacked, and you keep killing. This kind of gameplay makes the first 5 minutes of a match the most important, because once you get that pace set up with the infinite recurring positive feedback loops you dont really have to worry about losing at that point.

The scaling is also a pretty big factor in the gameplay. Maps are now more clustered rather than huge open spaces when compared to the size of your character model, which seems to be a huge fat guy stuffed into armor. Bigger targets, more close quarters gameplay, also makes for a less hitscan dominated game state. Of course hitscan will always be useful though, I mean nothing is going to beat a solid aim with the sniper rifle from any distance.

Also weapon switch speed which is severely hindered in UT3 in my opinion makes for quicker battles that are decided by which weapon you have out at the time you encounter an opponent. In UT2k4, a good player can utilize a pretty wide range of weapons in a duel, switching back and forth for the best situation, but in UT3 its so crippled that in most cases if you have your rockets out, you're stuck with rockets unless you want to wait 2 or 3 seconds for the shock rifle to switch in.

Yes, there are always the same weapons, and theres always dodging and what not, and theres always DM TDM and CTF, but the core game mechanics from UT99, UT2k*, and UT3 have a lot of key differences that make them very different. I mean, if they were all the same game then there wouldn't be a huge split in the community between UT99 players and UT2k4 players.

Internet!

Back