When will we embrace UT3?

IMO UT99 had and still does have the best game play, it was and still does feel different and independant of anything else out there. For its time it was beautiful yet not overbaring to the point you cant see whats happening.

UT2k3 should have been put on hold. Single player was eh, and the rest of it felt very "quakish", UT2k4 fixed all the problems I had with 2k3. I never got into the whole vehicles thing but the gameplay was fun, good graphics and well balanced in almost every way.

I can get over the retarded UI in UT3 but not the gameplay. Weapondry doesnt feel right, some things are so easy to get 1 hit kills and take 0 skill while others are extreemly hard to use consistantly. The graphics are pretty as ever but almost too "shiney" it seems. Movement doesnt feel quite right either. I will be skipping UT3 for UT4 unless I get it for a gift.

UT99 was and always will have the best game play. I have tried all of them and none of them play the same as the original.

PC users aren't going to embrace it. Epic missed their chance. If a multiplayer game, particularly a FPS, doesn't do well in it's first month, it's finished. It's all downhill from there. A player-base won't magically grow as time goes on. It shrinks. That has been the case of every FPS out there.

A multiplayer-centric game is only as good as it's community. The community for UT3 is tiny. Map packs aren't suddenly going to get people to flock to the game. The best a map pack can do is keep existing players from uninstalling.

UT99 was and always will have the best game play. I have tried all of them and none of them play the same as the original.

I enjoyed UT2004 at least as well as UT99. For the most part since UT2004 came out I haven't played UT99. I did play UT99 quite a bit when 2003 came out, because I got bored with UT2003.

I think the poor sales also have to do with the fact that they put out an exceptionally poor demo of the game.

Well, it seems that COD4 is slowly dying down. When will the PC gaming community accept UT3?

I won't accept it, because there's something far better than it, called Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Then there's also the fact that the game is no where near as good as UT 2004, so I rather play that.

I've never seen a petition work for anything. Epic does need to get their shit together on this game. It's sad that it took a patch to implement correct widescreen FOV settings. Things like that should have been done right from day one. I've got some gameplay problems with UT3. Mainly I can't stand what they did to Onslaught. I used to play the crap out of Onslaught mode but warefare is just terrible. Vehicle CTF has potential but I can't stand the maps. They suck.

Same here. What attracted me to UT 2004, was Onslaught mode. I played and replayed it to death. I couldn't care less about the SP campaign or other Multiplayer modes, except Onslaught. It was new and so damn fun. I can't possibly understand why they ruined it in UT3...I guess Epic thought Onslaught was not fun for consoles and so ruined it for everyone else :rolleyes:

It's kind of sad really...

the ironic thing about this is that someone stole my ut3 disk at home or i have lost it LOL. should i buy another one or just leave it?

the ironic thing about this is that someone stole my ut3 disk at home or i have lost it LOL. should i buy another one or just leave it?

You should get better friends first before anything

I won't accept it, because there's something far better than it, called Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Then there's also the fact that the game is no where near as good as UT 2004, so I rather play that.

Well UT3 has its' issues that's for sure. However Quake Wars: Enemy Territory isn't far better than squat. That's Quake 4's and Battlefield 2's love child and I can't stand it.

I like the DM in UT3, but that's it. Though as I've said before the maps are mostly what kills it. There are a handfull of good DM maps but every other map for every other mode is absolute shit. Even with that said I'd rather play UT3 for hours than touch QW.

Well UT3 has its' issues that's for sure. However Quake Wars: Enemy Territory isn't far better than squat. That's Quake 4's and Battlefield 2's love child and I can't stand it.

I like the DM in UT3, but that's it. Though as I've said before the maps are mostly what kills it. There are a handfull of good DM maps but every other map for every other mode is absolute shit. Even with that said I'd rather play UT3 for hours than touch QW.

I thought that I didn't have to say "IMO" in all posts, but it seems I do :)
Obviosuly IMO, Quake Wars is far better than UT3 in any regard. I don't remember for how long I played the original Enemy Territory, but Quake Wars is right there, as the MP game I played the most, ever! And it's fun every day!

Obviosuly IMO, Quake Wars is far better than UT3 in any regard. I don't remember for how long I played the original Enemy Territory, but Quake Wars is right there, as the MP game I played the most, ever! And it's fun every day!

I knew it was your opinion, but I had to disagree. Quake Wars is the most dissappointing title for me of the whole year. I thought it was aweful in so many ways. My MP game of choice right now is COD4.

I knew it was your opinion, but I had to disagree. Quake Wars is the most dissappointing title for me of the whole year. I thought it was aweful in so many ways. My MP game of choice right now is COD4.

Why do you think it was disapointing ? It brings everything the original ET did and then some. Or you didn't like the original ET either ?

well i cant get better family members can i? i dont invite friends over as i just play online with them hehe

Of course you can. You marry them or conceive them :)
And by marrying, you get a whole bunch of other family members too!

</off-topic>

Why do you think it was disapointing ? It brings everything the original ET did and then some. Or you didn't like the original ET either ?

Never played the original. As for QW the graphics weren't that great, the gameplay felt like it was from Quake 2 (and not in a good way) all the vehicles and weapons felt horribly out of balance to me. The maps felt too small for having vehicles in them. Granted I've not played a ton of maps for it or anything, but I just didn't enjoy the game at all. The menus are piss poor. Basically every complaint you could make about most any game I can bitch about in regard to QW.

Never played the original. As for QW the graphics weren't that great, the gameplay felt like it was from Quake 2 (and not in a good way) all the vehicles and weapons felt horribly out of balance to me. The maps felt too small for having vehicles in them. Granted I've not played a ton of maps for it or anything, but I just didn't enjoy the game at all. The menus are piss poor. Basically every complaint you could make about most any game I can bitch about in regard to QW.

for me bf2 is the best of the whole bunch when it comes to those sort of games.however i would mix cod4's First person movement and physics with bf2's maps and vechiles any day. that would make the perfect battlefield type game imo. whats missing in alot of fps these days is destructable enviornment. i hope bf3 gets that

I played RTCW:ET to death, and QW is the bastard child of it and horse poo. IMO, of course, but I count it as an insult that eVGA gave me that 'game' :p

for me bf2 is the best of the whole bunch when it comes to those sort of games.however i would mix cod4's First person movement and physics with bf2's maps and vechiles any day. that would make the perfect battlefield type game imo. whats missing in alot of fps these days is destructable enviornment. i hope bf3 gets that

At least we can shoot through stuff in COD4. The cars are destructible as well. Its' not perfect but it is a step forward. Nothing better than your opponent taking cover behind a car and lighting the car up with an 40mm HE grenade from your M203. Poor bastard gets caught in the blast every time.

I think you should play a bit more, before you say something like that.

There's only one map with vehicles, that's small enough to say that and that is Sewer. Any other map is huge and without vehicles, you would literally take a few minutes just to get to the closest outpost.

I also don't know why you say the weapons are not balanced. If you can elaborate on it, I could probably understand your point...

As for the menus, I agree to a point. There are things that could've been placed in a better place, like the settings change, but everything else is very straightforward.

I played RTCW:ET to death, and QW is the bastard child of it and horse poo. IMO, of course, but I count it as an insult that eVGA gave me that 'game' :p

If you played the original ET so much and don't like QW, then you must be able to easily pin point what ET had and QW doesn't.
I also played ET to death and I can only pin point what QW has and ET doesn't. And I'm not just talking about vehicles...

I think you should play a bit more, before you say something like that.

There's only one map with vehicles, that's small enough to say that and that is Sewer. Any other map is huge and without vehicles, you would literally take a few minutes just to get to the closest outpost.

I also don't know why you say the weapons are not balanced. If you can elaborate on it, I could probably understand your point...

As for the menus, I agree to a point. There are things that could've been placed in a better place, like the settings change, but everything else is very straightforward.

I can say whatever I want about a game. I played it for two sessions for 30 minutes each and I didn't enjoy the game. It is as simple as that. As for the weapons balance, it just seemed off to me. I could practically unload a full auto assault rifle into someone and not kill them, but just about anything they used on me would kill me in one hit. Even if not in the head. There could have been other problems at work there, (server issues, lag) but it seemed consistent all the times I tried it. Even alone with bots the problem persisted. Most of the weapons for most classes just seemed ineffective.

If you played the original ET so much and don't like QW, then you must be able to easily pin point what ET had and QW doesn't.
I also played ET to death and I can only pin point what QW has and ET doesn't. And I'm not just talking about vehicles...

balance. entertainment. decent graphics. Not costing anything.

To elaborate:
Strogg are overpowered, humans underpowered.
Weapons are too strong: People die too fast and you have little time to adapt or duel
the vehicles suck. Unresponsive, rubbery controls. Boring weapons. Slow movement. Uninspired designs.
Most games turn a group trying to move a MCP forward and a bunch of strogg simply sitting there spamming fire on the thing over and over and over and over and over again. You spawn, move it forward 2 inches, and repeat.
AI sucks for single player.
Graphics are extremely dated.
The game just ~flows~ poorly (it doesn't feel polished, for some reason)
Weapons are boring and uninspired. They don't feel real.

It feels like it's 2 years late and pushed out the door. It's a boring game in comparison to the competition out right now.

To elaborate:
Weapons are too strong: People die too fast and you have little time to adapt or duel
the vehicles suck. Unresponsive, rubbery controls. Boring weapons. Slow movement. Uninspired designs.
Most games turn a group trying to move a MCP forward and a bunch of strogg simply sitting there spamming fire on the thing over and over and over and over and over again. You spawn, move it forward 2 inches, and repeat.

It feels like it's 2 years late and pushed out the door. It's a boring game in comparison to the competition out right now.

You summed it up better than I could. I agree with you completely. I always played as human and the Strogg seemed way over powered. The dying too fast pissed me off. Now mind you I'm used to COD4 which you can often die right when you spawn if you spawn into an air strike or right in front of someone else. Even with that said I think that you get killed too easily in QW.

While we're here, can anyone answer this question? I posted it in the sticky as well, but no one answered. Has anyone else done these tweaks and had success?

Hey, I finally got this game and I tried some of the OP's tweaks. Is there any reason why the Tab key still doesn't work as a scoreboard? It still brings up the console.

I did exactly what you said, here's what I have:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="Tab",Command="ShowScores | Onrelease ShowScores",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

[Engine.Console]
ConsoleKey=Tilde
TypeKey=Tab
MaxScrollbackSize=1024
HistoryBot=-1

[UTGame.UTPlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="Tab",Command="ShowScores | Onrelease ShowScores",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Also, is there a way to have "stat fps" entered in the console every time the game runs so I don't have to enter it manually every time? Something like an autoexec config file or something?

Much appreciated...

The Unreal Series is dead. To bring it back to life, Epic needs to work on new ideas and re innovate. Fast paced, death match is dead (even though thats what I like).

You summed it up better than I could. I agree with you completely. I always played as human and the Strogg seemed way over powered. The dying too fast pissed me off. Now mind you I'm used to COD4 which you can often die right when you spawn if you spawn into an air strike or right in front of someone else. Even with that said I think that you get killed too easily in QW.

there's a difference between dying due to an effect/bad spawn, and dying to an enemy who can kill you 4x as fast as you can kill them.

I can say whatever I want about a game. I played it for two sessions for 30 minutes each and I didn't enjoy the game. It is as simple as that. As for the weapons balance, it just seemed off to me. I could practically unload a full auto assault rifle into someone and not kill them, but just about anything they used on me would kill me in one hit. Even if not in the head. There could have been other problems at work there, (server issues, lag) but it seemed consistent all the times I tried it. Even alone with bots the problem persisted. Most of the weapons for most classes just seemed ineffective.

Of course you can. That's your opinion. But I have to disagree on almost everything, because that's not the game I play everyday at all. I get killed often, by someone with a pistol, just because they aim better than me. Just like any modern game, hitting certain parts of the body, causes extra damage, the head being the most lethal one.
Lag obviously ruins it, when you're trying to kill someone that doesn't stop moving. If that person is not as lagged, you are in disadvantage, but what online game doesn't suffer from this ?!
The weapons for each class are very balanced. The most powerful ones, are also the slowest and sometimes frustrating to use, for that very same reason. An example is the Strogg Obliterator, which causes an insane amount of damage, but is so slow, that you need to wait 4-5 seconds, before it's ready to fire again. Any normal Strogg Lacerator is as effective as a GDF assault rifle. What makes the difference is the person's accuracy to hit those key body points.

To elaborate:

How can you say the game is unbalanced ? Because there were better players than you ?
Strogg are definitely NOT overpowered, for some of the reasons I already talked about in the post above. Actually when a Strogg weapon overheats, it takes longer for it to be ready to fire again, than any GDF weapon. The Strogg Obliterator doesn't even need to overheat. It just takes an insane amount of time to be ready to fire again.
Classes in general are also very balanced. Good examples of that are medics/technicians. GDF medics can call in supply crates for health and ammo and can heal any team mate, just by getting close to them and shock them. Technicians however, are extremely vulnerable to attack when they are healing someone, because they need to stand next to their fallen team mate, for a while before he/she actually revives. This is balanced with the fact that Technicians can create spawn hosts, which can be used by any one team mate, to spawn in that point, the next time he/she dies.

As for duels, I point you to my previous post again. A person's accuracy is key. If the player you are dueling with has better accuracy than you, why would you survive and not him/her ?

As for vehicles, it's not much different than BF2. Anyone with skills in a flying vehicle, usually owns everyone else. However, there are at least two classes - Soldier/Aggressor and Engineer/Constructor - that can easily counter these people with flying vehicle skills.
And that's basically why this is the most team oriented game I have ever played, because if you actually have a team balanced with all the classes, facing your opponent, will be much easier. And if the opponent team does the same, the game will be extremely balanced.

Using the sucky AI for the single player part, as an argument against a mostly multiplayer game, is laughable to say the least...

As for the fact that the action is repetitive, I can agree to a point, but half the maps are not about MCP as you pointed out. There are 12 maps, but Sewer, Volcano, The Ark, The Salvage, Area 22, The Quarry, Island are NOT about MCP deployment.

As for graphics, definitely not the best around. It's the only point I can actually agree with you. But they are good nonetheless and when gameplay is solid enough IMO, I can't criticize a game on graphics.
Which is not the case for UT3 for example. Graphics suck and gameplay took several steps back, when compared to UT 2004.

Obviously, this is all a matter of opinion and we can just agree to disagree, but I would never trade the fun I have in QW, for a game like UT3.

While we're here, can anyone answer this question? I posted it in the sticky as well, but no one answered. Has anyone else done these tweaks and had success?

I am both a regular on the epic forumn and here also.

These is the BEST tweak threads over there and you may want to seriously look
at it and make changes. It covers many troubleshooting and peformance issues.

When and if Epic gives us a decent UI to do these ourselves withour manually
changing INI files it will be a lot better. Until then the community itself has some things
avialable now that will help.

Check these out
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586697
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=592757&highlight=utility

As for user maps and mods there are TONS of them being released. The list
of mod map servers has doubled over the holidays. So for those of you bored
with the same old Epic content may want look again.

Look at all the maps and mods being released!
http://utforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=335

Which is not the case for UT3 for example. Graphics suck and gameplay took several steps back, when compared to UT 2004.

Obviously, this is all a matter of opinion and we can just agree to disagree, but I would never trade the fun I have in QW, for a game like UT3.

UT3's graphics suck compared to UT2004? Bwhahahahahaha! UT3 is a pretty good looking game. It has that going for it at the very least. I mean it isn't Crysis, but it's better looking than just about everything else.

UT3's graphics suck compared to UT2004? Bwhahahahahaha! UT3 is a pretty good looking game. It has that going for it at the very least. I mean it isn't Crysis, but it's better looking than just about everything else.

Where did I say UT3 graphics are worse than UT2004 ?? :confused:
What I did say was that UT3's graphics suck AND that its gameplay took a few steps back, when compared to UT 2004.

In regards to graphics, I said that when the gameplay is solid, it doesn't even matter what kind of graphics the game has. I really don't like UT3's graphics. They're blurred to hell and back, but I wouldn't even flinch in saying that UT3 was awesome, if it at least had a decent gameplay, which IMO, it doesn't.

UT3's graphics are great, they make ut2k4's look like a cartoon game, the cool weapons of old UT's are back and theyre awesome, love to impact hammer kill on DM, my only complain is that the enforcer is sorta weak now.

I for one don't like the art style, but yeah, UT3 does have better graphics.

How can you say the game is unbalanced ? Because there were better players than you ?
No, because the game feels imbalanced. I played BF2 for years. I sucked to start, but it was still fun. QW is not, and feels off in almost every way.
Strogg are definitely NOT overpowered, for some of the reasons I already talked about in the post above. Actually when a Strogg weapon overheats, it takes longer for it to be ready to fire again, than any GDF weapon.
Most of the REVIEWS even comment on the strogg being overpowered. They take less damage, do more, and are harder to kill. Plus their vehicles don't suck as much as the human ones.
The Strogg Obliterator doesn't even need to overheat. It just takes an insane amount of time to be ready to fire again.
Classes in general are also very balanced. Good examples of that are medics/technicians. GDF medics can call in supply crates for health and ammo and can heal any team mate, just by getting close to them and shock them. Technicians however, are extremely vulnerable to attack when they are healing someone, because they need to stand next to their fallen team mate, for a while before he/she actually revives. This is balanced with the fact that Technicians can create spawn hosts, which can be used by any one team mate, to spawn in that point, the next time he/she dies.
Totally different kind of balance than I was talking about, and none of that makes it even remotely fun, to be honest. The game is boring, especially considering its predecessor. If it were free, I'd accept it, but it's not: It costs $50 too much. No one actually USES any of those skills online most of the time anyway.
As for duels, I point you to my previous post again. A person's accuracy is key. If the player you are dueling with has better accuracy than you, why would you survive and not him/her ?
Because there's a lot more to dueling than that. Accuracy should only be part of it. Movement is slow and awkward, and feels rubbery. Duels are not fun, and rarely actually happen in the game. Normally it's a hitscan death almost instantly.
As for vehicles, it's not much different than BF2. Anyone with skills in a flying vehicle, usually owns everyone else. However, there are at least two classes - Soldier/Aggressor and Engineer/Constructor - that can easily counter these people with flying vehicle skills.
And that's basically why this is the most team oriented game I have ever played, because if you actually have a team balanced with all the classes, facing your opponent, will be much easier. And if the opponent team does the same, the game will be extremely balanced.
Disagree: BF2 vehicles feel far more real than the QW ones, and above all, are actually interesting. They're actually fun to control, have appropriate momentum and respond to physics appropriately. In QW, things stop/start far too fast, feel disconnected from the controls and the terrain, and don't react at all "believably". The game feels rubber coated.
Using the sucky AI for the single player part, as an argument against a mostly multiplayer game, is laughable to say the least...
PUG online were pretty much shit too, but it's a point: BF2 was ~mildly~ entertaining to play single player. QW is like rubbing my dick with a broken razor. Covered in barbed wire. With cayenne pepper all over it. Dipped in lemon juice. ;)
As for the fact that the action is repetitive, I can agree to a point, but half the maps are not about MCP as you pointed out. There are 12 maps, but Sewer, Volcano, The Ark, The Salvage, Area 22, The Quarry, Island are NOT about MCP deployment.
Hell if I know. Those are all I ever really encountered online. I only tried playing it for about 2 hours though before I uninstalled it. Too many good games to waste time on QW.
As for graphics, definitely not the best around. It's the only point I can actually agree with you. But they are good nonetheless and when gameplay is solid enough IMO, I can't criticize a game on graphics.

I personally find both games to be pretty poor. Quake Wars was one of the greatest disappointments for me this year though... I had high hopes for it after all this time, but TF2 blows it completely out of the water for gameplay, graphics, style, and most of all, fun. Let alone prior games like the Battlefield series, or the classic of all, UT2k4.

QW might be ok for organized teams in a LAN setting, but online or single player it's a bad joke on the gaming public, imho.

UT3's graphics are great, they make ut2k4's look like a cartoon game, the cool weapons of old UT's are back and theyre awesome, love to impact hammer kill on DM, my only complain is that the enforcer is sorta weak now.

lol what? Enforcer does 20 damage per hit, 5 shots and its over for a fresh spawned enemy.

lol what? Enforcer does 20 damage per hit, 5 shots and its over for a fresh spawned enemy.

I don't get that complaint either. The Enforcer is more powerful than ever it seems. Certainly I feel like it is a good enough weapon to tide me over until I find something else. In UT2004 I never used it unless I was cornered.

Well, maybe i dont aim very well with it. Come to think of it, i've insta killed a few with the enforcer in a dm or two. btw in ut2k4 there was no enforcer,there was an assault rifle

Back