What won't work on 64-bit Vista?

Impulse

[H]F Junkie
I'm sure it's been asked before, and I've done a fair bit of searching on the subject, but a lot of what I read was usually written a year ago or more... Surely things must have improved in some areas since then. If someone has a nice link to a comprehensive list or what have you I'd be thankful, I'd also welcome any mention of particular stuff you haven't been able to use personally on 64-bit Vista...

The biggest ones that stick out in my mind, from what I've read, are as follows... iPhone synchronization (I do believe this has since been addressed), Gametap, some users reporting issues when going into Suspend/Hibernate, and a host of SB X-Fi issues (I know this has forever been a work in progress for Creative though, I remember hearing about issues only when having more than 2GB of RAM even, anyone know what's happening there?).

Edit: Oh yea, some driver-level stuff like RivaTuner wouldn't work properly either I believe because of needing signed drivers? I think they were having someone w/signing privileges or w/e validate their stuff once in a while though no?

I'm not aware of anything that won't work. I haven't tried any of the apps that you've mentioned though. But what I use works fine.
I have 6gb of ram and a X-fi that works fine.

Only two things personally that I haven't been able to get working on Vista 64. A Zebra label printer for a programming project, they never released drivers for x64. My pinnacle tuner also did not work, but they finally released a beta x64 driver (only a year late).

For most users, especially gamers there is little that doesn't work.

Cisco VPN software for Cisco 3000 VPN concentrators. Only thing I use that doesn't work.

/Many/ HP printers and scanners. Several of which have had pages up for two years now claiming "drivers coming soon". I'm never buying another piece of HP hardware for this and several other reasons.

Other than that, no major issues. RivaTuner finally got proper drivers, as did CoreTemp and RealTemp, and those are the only problem programs I used that I can think of, off-hand.

Yup, 16-bit is a given since there is no API layer. Plenty of easy solutions for that though, either dual boot or virtualization will run pretty much any 16 bit app if you actually need them.

i have been using vista64 since December and it is the best OS i have ever used, this is my main gaming rig and every game and benchmark, even Crysis has worked without a problem, everything is rock solid, i have an iPhone and it works great with iTunes 64bit version, this was a problem but it was fixed back in January and everything works great now, i also have the X-Fi Fatality Gamer and never had a problem with it drivers work great, i can't really think of a time i had a problem with Vista64, i also now have the folding@home GPU client running on my 8800GTX, once again everything works great,

The only things i have found that dont work with vista 64 would be old hardware and thats just due to unsigned drivers, you can usually get them working if you disable driver signing enforcement but thats a pain in the ass.

This was a good post with good information for me. I've got hardware on order for a new PC but hadn't decided on an OS yet. I'm starting out with 2GB - so 32 or 64 bit would be ok. However, going 64 bit will allow me to use more ram in the future.

This was a good post with good information for me. I've got hardware on order for a new PC but hadn't decided on an OS yet. I'm starting out with 2GB - so 32 or 64 bit would be ok. However, going 64 bit will allow me to use more ram in the future.

what are the specs?

I only play games and do some other basic stuff with my Vista install, but so far the only thing I haven't been able to run are Dreamcast games in my Gametap account (which actually runs fine in OS 10.5, also a 64 bit OS, which is weird). Otherwise I have had no problems running anything in Vista 64 so far.

That's weird, but you can actually run other (non-DC) games on Gametap on Vista 64-bit? I thought they hadn't ported the Gametap client/encryption over to 64-bit at all, a lot of stuff wouldn't work (in 32-bit emulation I'd imagine), and they had thus disabled it from running entirely on Vista 64-bit...

That's just what I surmised from occasionally checking out the complain threads on their boards tho. It's not a big deal for me anyway (technically Gametap isn't servicing anyone outside of the US it seems, not even in US territories like Puerto Rico), but I'm curious anyway. Thanks for the info.

I guess I might go w/64-bit Vista and 4GB for my next system after all, I'll probably have to cut loose this old Epson 1200U scanner I've had since forever but it's no big loss. The price difference between 2GB and 4GB DDR2 is just too small to ignore now. :p

i went ahead and re-did my system and put on vista 64bit on my machine yesterday. install went smooth, all the drivers installed ok. even my canon MP970 multifunction device installed and worked properly (as a network install). i had an initial problem installing adobe cs3 but after disable anti-virus, it installed ok. the only problem i have so far is in when i'm in photoshop and i go to preference, I click on "performance" tab and i would get appcrash. if i click on any other tab, its fine. if i run photoshop in compatibility mode, i can click on performance tab ok. which is odd, googling that issue hasnt come up with anything. ill see how photoshop behaves though once i use it more, got more pics to process. most of what i use the PC for is post-processing pictures, burning, and web browsing. everything seems snappier than before but then again, its a clean install. :D

system:
intel q6600 @ 3ghz
gigabyte 965p-ds3
asus radeon hd4850
4gb memory @ 825mhz
2x160gb sata II
1x500gb sata II

I run RivaTuner without the unsigned driver installed, and honestly I'm not sure what I'm missing. I can still overclock the card and control the fans and that's all I really needed out of it.

I run RivaTuner without the unsigned driver installed, and honestly I'm not sure what I'm missing. I can still overclock the card and control the fans and that's all I really needed out of it.

Can you tell me how? When I try to do it, it doesnt even see my card.

Is flash working yet in IE64, I know its seriously not a bad thing if you want a secure browser, but its still something that bugs me.

Can you tell me how? When I try to do it, it doesnt even see my card.

I didn't really do much special. Just installed, it gave the message about the unsigned driver and then completed. Afterwards I ran it as administrator, and under driver settings I was able to change what I needed.

I thought there was a website, a Vista Wiki so-to-speak, where users contributed both software and hardware problems they've had as a running reference...

That's weird, but you can actually run other (non-DC) games on Gametap on Vista 64-bit? I thought they hadn't ported the Gametap client/encryption over to 64-bit at all, a lot of stuff wouldn't work (in 32-bit emulation I'd imagine), and they had thus disabled it from running entirely on Vista 64-bit...

That's just what I surmised from occasionally checking out the complain threads on their boards tho. It's not a big deal for me anyway (technically Gametap isn't servicing anyone outside of the US it seems, not even in US territories like Puerto Rico), but I'm curious anyway. Thanks for the info.

I guess I might go w/64-bit Vista and 4GB for my next system after all, I'll probably have to cut loose this old Epson 1200U scanner I've had since forever but it's no big loss. The price difference between 2GB and 4GB DDR2 is just too small to ignore now. :p

So far I haven't had any issues with other Gametap games, but then again I mainly play Metal Slug so there might be some I've missed that might not work. :)

To add to the list, although I doubt it will affect you, here are some more products that aren't Vista 64 friendly:

Native Instruments Products (Traktor, DJ programs/Hardware) - no driver support
M-Audio Products - Actually just added beta 64 drivers so maybe they're ok now
V-Mware Server Network Drivers - run fine with F8 at startup using unsigned driver option
XFire (chat program) - works in 32 bit so it can't detect the few 64 bit games that are out
Razer DeathAdder firmware updater - to update to the latest firmware I had to plug my mouse into an XP PC.

Older burning apps have trouble, especially those that depend on ASPI or such. So no burning Dreamcast or Sega CD or similar discs under Vista 64 :p

Other than that, I don't really run into much that won't run under 64-bit, excepting the obvious 16-bit apps not running.

To add to the list, although I doubt it will affect you, here are some more products that aren't Vista 64 friendly:

X-Fire - works in 32 bit so it can't detect the few 64 bit games that are out

Do you mean Crossfire-X for ATI video cards?

I thought Crossfire-X worked fine under Vista 64-bit???? :confused:

Older burning apps have trouble, especially those that depend on ASPI or such. So no burning Dreamcast or Sega CD or similar discs under Vista 64 :p
Without getting too much into this, I thought I would mention that 64-bit Windows presents opportunities to re-think how we do these tasks that typically require legacy operating systems or hardware. If it comes down to "I want to play Dreamcast games" you certainly don't need to burn discs to do it, and Vista x64 is a very good part of the solution.

Back