What motherboard to get for threadripper 3?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Kirika, Nov 8, 2019.

1. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Linux should really have no issue with multiple audio devices... I know I've done this with half a dozen sound 'outputs' due to monitors, onboard, DAC, and USB speakers (at least) and had it all work.

2. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

That one might do the trick, I don't know. FWIW, the Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme has the same problem as the Gigabyte board I have according to posters in my Phoronix thread.

It's not the fact that they are multiple audio devices that is the problem. The problem is a little more complicated.

What happens is this.

- The Realtek ALC1220 chipset they use normally would use the snd_hda_intel module, but since it is hooked up via usb, the kernel loads the snd_usb_audio module on boot.

- It detects the two devices, and presents them to ALSA so you can select them for output, but nothing ever comes out the port.

- If you try to use pavucontrol to configure and select these devices does not help

- If I select the device directly using alsamixer -c4, it results in broken pipe errors for the on board devices (but works fine for all other devices that are discovered)

- When these USB devices load in ALSA, they mess up ALSA's device discovery, so no further devices are discovered after the two on board chips.

- ALSA seems to load PCIe devices first, and these on board USB devices second. All other USB devices load after that, meaning no other USB audio devices will work.

- Because these are not able to be disabled in the bios, and they always load before other USB devices, I can't just use another device, unless it is a PCIe device (ahich I am currently doing temporarily)

- I tried blacklisting snd_usb_audio from loading in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, to see if I could modprobe snd_hda_intel and force it to use that instead (if it works over USB) but this didn't work, as snd_usb_audio is compiled into the kernel. Blacklisting only works for modules loaded separately.

The next logical step would be to custom compile a kernel without snd_usb_audio, so I can blacklist it and load snd_hda_intel and see if it works, but damn, I havent compiled a kernel in 15 years. Seems like a lot of work for something that probably isn't going to work anyway...

Maybe I'll get around to it soon.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    IdiotInCharge likes this.
  3. Zarathustra[H]

Hmm.

Odd problem.

Shut down the computer last night before bed.

Come home from work today, went to power it on, and nothing.

Like it's not even plugged in.

Haven't done any real troubleshooting yet, but a cursory glance shows nothing out of order.

Nothing burnt, no water leaks, nothing.

Just no power.

I really don't have time for this shit right now. I really just need to encode old family camcorder videos for when the fam visits...

Really frustrating. Not even sure where to start troubleshooting. Might test the PSU.

4. Mega6

Mega6 2[H]4U

reset the bios

5. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

yank the cord, hit the power button a few times to drain the mobo/psu caps and then plug it in and try again.

6. Zarathustra[H]

Yep. tried that.

No such luck.

Main RGB LED briefly lights up and then immediately off again when plugged in after being disconnected for a little bit, but still refuses to power on.

I've tried disconnecting all non-essentials leaving only main motherboard connector, EPS connectors and GPU power plugged in. Still no luck

Trying to dig up another mother board and CPU and mount a cooler on it so I can troubleshoot the psu

7. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

if you have spare psu just hook it up outside/beside the case and only power the essentials.

8. Zarathustra[H]

I don't have anything else I trust on the threadripper.

I did the opposite. Plugged in a known working neighboring PC to the PSU in my main build and tried to fire it up, which failed exactly the same way.

So I know its the PSU. It's a good PSU too (Seasonic Prime 1200W Platinum) Sorry for derailing this thread. Appears to have nothing to do with the motherboard.

Now I'm off to find out how good Seasonics RMA process is. Sigh. I really don't have time for this right now :(

pendragon1 likes this.
  9. Mega6

Mega6 2[H]4U

It's probably the PS Fuse then.

10. Zarathustra[H]

If there is a fuse, it does not appear to be user replaceable :(

11. Mega6

Mega6 2[H]4U

usually internal, soldered on. there is a seasonic rep on these boards btw.

Seasonic Rep

12. Zarathustra[H]

Thanks for the info. That will be useful.

For now, I'm not opening it. Don't want to get any fight over my 12 year warranty :p

Mega6 and pendragon1 like this.