What motherboard to get for threadripper 3?

Linux should really have no issue with multiple audio devices... I know I've done this with half a dozen sound 'outputs' due to monitors, onboard, DAC, and USB speakers (at least) and had it all work.

Maybe I'll try the MSI x570.

That one might do the trick, I don't know. FWIW, the Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme has the same problem as the Gigabyte board I have according to posters in my Phoronix thread.

Linux should really have no issue with multiple audio devices... I know I've done this with half a dozen sound 'outputs' due to monitors, onboard, DAC, and USB speakers (at least) and had it all work.

It's not the fact that they are multiple audio devices that is the problem. The problem is a little more complicated.

What happens is this.

- The Realtek ALC1220 chipset they use normally would use the snd_hda_intel module, but since it is hooked up via usb, the kernel loads the snd_usb_audio module on boot.

- It detects the two devices, and presents them to ALSA so you can select them for output, but nothing ever comes out the port.

- If you try to use pavucontrol to configure and select these devices does not help

- If I select the device directly using alsamixer -c4, it results in broken pipe errors for the on board devices (but works fine for all other devices that are discovered)

- When these USB devices load in ALSA, they mess up ALSA's device discovery, so no further devices are discovered after the two on board chips.

- ALSA seems to load PCIe devices first, and these on board USB devices second. All other USB devices load after that, meaning no other USB audio devices will work.

- Because these are not able to be disabled in the bios, and they always load before other USB devices, I can't just use another device, unless it is a PCIe device (ahich I am currently doing temporarily)

- I tried blacklisting snd_usb_audio from loading in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, to see if I could modprobe snd_hda_intel and force it to use that instead (if it works over USB) but this didn't work, as snd_usb_audio is compiled into the kernel. Blacklisting only works for modules loaded separately.

The next logical step would be to custom compile a kernel without snd_usb_audio, so I can blacklist it and load snd_hda_intel and see if it works, but damn, I havent compiled a kernel in 15 years. Seems like a lot of work for something that probably isn't going to work anyway...

Maybe I'll get around to it soon.

Last edited:
Hmm.

Odd problem.

Shut down the computer last night before bed.

Come home from work today, went to power it on, and nothing.

Like it's not even plugged in.

Haven't done any real troubleshooting yet, but a cursory glance shows nothing out of order.

Nothing burnt, no water leaks, nothing.

Just no power.

I really don't have time for this shit right now. I really just need to encode old family camcorder videos for when the fam visits...

Really frustrating. Not even sure where to start troubleshooting. Might test the PSU.

Hmm.

Odd problem.

Shut down the computer last night before bed.

Come home from work today, went to power it on, and nothing.

Like it's not even plugged in.

Haven't done any real troubleshooting yet, but a cursory glance shows nothing out of order.

Nothing burnt, no water leaks, nothing.

Just no power.

I really don't have time for this shit right now. I really just need to encode old family camcorder videos for when the fam visits...

Really frustrating. Not even sure where to start troubleshooting. Might test the PSU.
yank the cord, hit the power button a few times to drain the mobo/psu caps and then plug it in and try again.

yank the cord, hit the power button a few times to drain the mobo/psu caps and then plug it in and try again.

Yep. tried that.

No such luck.

Main RGB LED briefly lights up and then immediately off again when plugged in after being disconnected for a little bit, but still refuses to power on.

I've tried disconnecting all non-essentials leaving only main motherboard connector, EPS connectors and GPU power plugged in. Still no luck

Trying to dig up another mother board and CPU and mount a cooler on it so I can troubleshoot the psu

Yep. tried that.

No such luck.

Main RGB LED briefly lights up and then immediately off again when plugged in after being disconnected for a little bit, but still refuses to power on.

I've tried disconnecting all non-essentials leaving only main motherboard connector, EPS connectors and GPU power plugged in. Still no luck

Trying to dig up another mother board and CPU and mount a cooler on it so I can troubleshoot the psu
if you have spare psu just hook it up outside/beside the case and only power the essentials.

if you have spare psu just hook it up outside/beside the case and only power the essentials.

I don't have anything else I trust on the threadripper.

I did the opposite. Plugged in a known working neighboring PC to the PSU in my main build and tried to fire it up, which failed exactly the same way.

So I know its the PSU. It's a good PSU too (Seasonic Prime 1200W Platinum) Sorry for derailing this thread. Appears to have nothing to do with the motherboard.

Now I'm off to find out how good Seasonics RMA process is. Sigh. I really don't have time for this right now :(

I've recently moved to the Gigabyte TRX40 Master + 3970X setup.

Using the same 64gb (4 sticks) GSkill Trident 3200mhz CL14 memory that I had in my previous Asrock X399 TaiChi + 1950X that would have a tough time running at standard XMP settings.
The new setup drives that same memory at 3600 CL16 and is solid as a rock. For shits & giggles I drove the all-core speed (no SMT) to 4.1Ghz, but dropped it back down to simple PBO on-demand OC (it got WAY too hot!! even for my 360 custom loop @95C in Prime95 small fft).

So far love the setup, but hate the chunk it took out of my bank account.

For PSU I picked up a dead Corsair TX850 but couldn't get it lo light off. It cost $20 on ebay so it was worth it just for the spare cables. The PSU now is the Corsair AX1000 titanium which is pretty much a rebranded Seasonic Prime 1000 titanium. The spare cables work fine between them.

Reactions: noko
like this
I ended up going with a 3960x on the Gigabyte TRX40 Designare for the 5 pcie slots, thunderbolt card. Ended up getting a fusion io 3.2 gb ssd instead of using the ssd raid card.

I ended up going with a 3960x on the Gigabyte TRX40 Designare for the 5 pcie slots, thunderbolt card. Ended up getting a fusion io 3.2 gb ssd instead of using the ssd raid card.
Please let us know how the build goes.

That's not a RAID card, its a bifurication card. Basically it allows you to stuff 4 nvme onto one card using 16 lanes split up into 4/4/4/4, 4 lanes for each nvme. Now with it setup, you can then choose to run a RAID 0/etc if you want. On topic the Designaire is probably the best value if you use the two add in cards, titan ridge and the aic card.

Reactions: noko
like this
I am looking at the MSI PRO TRX40 PRO 10G: https://www.newegg.com/msi-trx40-pro-10g/p/N82E16813144277
I like the PCIe slots, 5 of them, the 10G card as well as a 2x nvme card that comes with it. Bought a 64gb ram kit and currently testing out the modules on my other machine ( so far they are hitting XMP 3466mhz timings on a 3900x at 1.35v, rated speed)
Reviews are just scaced for most Trx40 motherboards including this one.

I am looking at the MSI PRO TRX40 PRO 10G: https://www.newegg.com/msi-trx40-pro-10g/p/N82E16813144277
I like the PCIe slots, 5 of them, the 10G card as well as a 2x nvme card that comes with it. Bought a 64gb ram kit and currently testing out the modules on my other machine ( so far they are hitting XMP 3466mhz timings on a 3900x at 1.35v, rated speed)
Reviews are just scaced for most Trx40 motherboards including this one.
Very interesting board.
Please, keep us updated re stability, overclock (CPU and RAM), use (rendering, gaming, etc.)
Are you using it with Fedora 31 or Windows?

Very interesting board.
Please, keep us updated re stability, overclock (CPU and RAM), use (rendering, gaming, etc.)
Are you using it with Fedora 31 or Windows?
Have not gotten the board yet or CPU, most likely next month. It would be with Windows, I am re-introducing myself back on Linux (Linux Mint) on another machine and I really like how Linux has Progressed. Looking at possibly getting an Optane drive for the OS, the board supports the Intel 905P series:
The second M.2 slot some sort of 2TB SSD, not sold on PCIe 4.0 drives as a performance noticeable enhancement at this time. The 2x NVME card will most likely also will be used for 2 drives, maybe my current 2tb Intel 660P drive initially.

The two Vega FE's and probably the 5700XT (if the drivers cooperate) later to be updated. 1080 Ti or both if AMD drivers suck ass between gaming and 3d stuff. The 1x PCIE 4.0 slot will most likely not be used. One reason for the Vega FE's over the 1080Ti's is that they are blower cards including the 5700XT. This build I would closely look at what Nvidia has for Titan RTX Ampere, price etc. later this year or next. Also depends what AMD can provide gaming wise, I am not sold at all on AMD professional cards, Nvidia just wipes the floor dealing with Professional drivers which game as well. Just have to evaluate the options when they become available.

Some of the rather short and lack luster reviews, such as Buildzoid brief overview seem to not understand use of PCIe Riser cables that make potentially all PCIe slots available, plus feature set differences also stem from being purely ATX versus EATX. He is right about the rather anemic USB back plate but onboard that can be expanded. My case has 2 USB 2 and 2 USB 3 plus one USB C which this board can supply:
  • Go to 21:30 for the MSI board, once video plays or if you looked at this video before, the link will start from the wrong location or where you left off, irritating. I would expect it to always start at link location but that is not the case.
  • https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=PCIe+Riser+Cables

Last edited:
Have not gotten the board yet or CPU, most likely next month. It would be with Windows, I am re-introducing myself back on Linux (Linux Mint) on another machine and I really like how Linux has Progressed. Looking at possibly getting an Optane drive for the OS, the board supports the Intel 905P series:
The second M.2 slot some sort of 2TB SSD, not sold on PCIe 4.0 drives as a performance noticeable enhancement at this time. The 2x NVME card will most likely also will be used for 2 drives, maybe my current 2tb Intel 660P drive initially.

The two Vega FE's and probably the 5700XT (if the drivers cooperate) later to be updated. 1080 Ti or both if AMD drivers suck ass between gaming and 3d stuff. The 1x PCIE 4.0 slot will most likely not be used. One reason for the Vega FE's over the 1080Ti's is that they are blower cards including the 5700XT. This build I would closely look at what Nvidia has for Titan RTX Ampere, price etc. later this year or next. Also depends what AMD can provide gaming wise, I am not sold at all on AMD professional cards, Nvidia just wipes the floor dealing with Professional drivers which game as well. Just have to evaluate the options when they become available.

Some of the rather short and lack luster reviews, such as Buildzoid brief overview seem to not understand use of PCIe Riser cables that make potentially all PCIe slots available, plus feature set differences also stem from being purely ATX versus EATX. He is right about the rather anemic USB back plate but onboard that can be expanded. My case has 2 USB 2 and 2 USB 3 plus one USB C which this board can supply:
  • Go to 21:30 for the MSI board, once video plays or if you looked at this video before, the link will start from the wrong location or where you left off, irritating. I would expect it to always start at link location but that is not the case.
  • https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=PCIe+Riser+Cables

Hi noko,
Thank you for the additional details.
Those optanes are too expensive right now, I'll wait for them to go down before getting one. I may start with a bunch of cheap NVME (I never though I would ever have said that one year ago).
I saw the Buildzoid TR3 mobo overview too, and completely missed the potential of this MSI board. I've never built a system with an MSI board, but I guess there is always a first time for everything.
Like you, I also consider to getting a 5700 XT, like the MSI MECH OC with a water-block from Alphacool.
Still in planning mode... crazy idea is to build a double system in the Phanteks Enthoo 719, with the TR3 and my gaming m-ITX. The m-ITX would still be the gaming system, while the TR3... well... to be there just because it is cool, nerdy, and challenging to do. In a custom double water loop.
This would drain my back account... so overkilling!

Hi noko,
Thank you for the additional details.
Those optanes are too expensive right now, I'll wait for them to go down before getting one. I may start with a bunch of cheap NVME (I never though I would ever have said that one year ago).
I saw the Buildzoid TR3 mobo overview too, and completely missed the potential of this MSI board. I've never built a system with an MSI board, but I guess there is always a first time for everything.
Like you, I also consider to getting a 5700 XT, like the MSI MECH OC with a water-block from Alphacool.
Still in planning mode... crazy idea is to build a double system in the Phanteks Enthoo 719, with the TR3 and my gaming m-ITX. The m-ITX would still be the gaming system, while the TR3... well... to be there just because it is cool, nerdy, and challenging to do. In a custom double water loop.
This would drain my back account... so overkilling!
Weighing the storage capacity and price of NVME over Optane sure makes one wonder why bother with Optane at this time.

Due to current market conditions, manufacturing shutdowns in China and spreading - Stock Market tanking. I see in the near future shortages for computer parts that would include AMD CPU's. AMD/Nvidia GPU's as well. I don't recommend draining a bank account for a new system unless you have a great reason for it. The current paralyses may continue to spread, While Tim Cook from Apple says China Manufacturing plants are coming back online, initial stages, also means a ripple effect in the supply line for many items needed to make a number of things. So now is the time to buy if justified and one has the means to. Also Tim Cook maybe trying to keep Apple stock from tanking more. So much for Global economy. Too bad Global Foundary decided not to go to 7nm production. They would not be able to fill all the orders, charge ridiculous amounts, build 3x more Foundries and still sell out. Still other parts from resistors, capacitors, inductors and a number of of items needed to make computer related stuff would still stop manufacuturing.

Weighing the storage capacity and price of NVME over Optane sure makes one wonder why bother with Optane at this time.
Well, you only need one. Generally you'd also want a second drive regardless of what you use for the OS.

Well, you only need one. Generally you'd also want a second drive regardless of what you use for the OS.
Also might be prudent to wait a year and get a newer better Optane. $600 can buy a lot of NVME drives with a hell a lot of storage vice 480gb, have to look at use case which at present I have zero :D. Yes ideally first slot, OS, 380gb M.2 or 480gb U.2 with adaptor cable and second slot a 2TB NVME.

Don't disagree, it's why I don't own one -- but the only way to get something that's faster than the best NVMe, which are all the same from a user experience perspective -- is to pay up for Optane, even a small one. OS and relevant applications (which does exclude games) don't need that much, right?

Due to current market conditions, manufacturing shutdowns in China and spreading - Stock Market tanking. I see in the near future shortages for computer parts that would include AMD CPU's. AMD/Nvidia GPU's as well. I don't recommend draining a bank account for a new system unless you have a great reason for it. The current paralyses may continue to spread, While Tim Cook from Apple says China Manufacturing plants are coming back online, initial stages, also means a ripple effect in the supply line for many items needed to make a number of things. So now is the time to buy if justified and one has the means to. Also Tim Cook maybe trying to keep Apple stock from tanking more. So much for Global economy. Too bad Global Foundary decided not to go to 7nm production. They would not be able to fill all the orders, charge ridiculous amounts, build 3x more Foundries and still sell out. Still other parts from resistors, capacitors, inductors and a number of of items needed to make computer related stuff would still stop manufacuturing.
All true (sadly).
Only point to add is that this is the best time to purchase PC goodies before the end of the buffer stock from distributors and manufacturer. Once the manufacture and distribution is back, prices would stay high for long.
I do tons of multitasking with many PCs altogether, so if something fails on me I need redundant machines to take-on.
LTT has recently commented about this subject

All true (sadly).
Only point to add is that this is the best time to purchase PC goodies before the end of the buffer stock from distributors and manufacturer. Once the manufacture and distribution is back, prices would stay high for long.
I do tons of multitasking with many PCs altogether, so if something fails on me I need redundant machines to take-on.
LTT has recently commented about this subject

SSD's are going out of stock fast at Newegg, notice that in the last couple of days. So I ordered a PCIe 4 Sabrent 1TB drive. Should make a decent system drive.
https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-rocket-nvme-4-0-1tb/p/1Z4-00H3-00016?Item=9SIAME8AP27964

Will look at some 2TB drives next.

Edit: Pick up a 2TB Sabrent SSD at Amazon, looks like their warehouses still have good inventory.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829DZH2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did it!
I am building a dual-system machine!
Pushed by the fear of empty stores, like empty Microcenter or everything out of stock at Neweeg, I broke my piggy bank and made three orders:
  1. Newegg.com
  2. Amazon.com
  3. EKWB.com
Here the pcpartpicker list of parts from Newegg.com.
The GPU block for the MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT MECH OC from Amazon.com.
All will be custom watercooled. I made a big order with EKWB directly.
Matte black flex tubes with black nickel fittings.
One 480 rad to the front, one thick 360 rad on the top.
Distroplate on the back, pump-res on the front.
My ITX system to be transferred to the bottom.
Run mailman, run!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back