What motherboard to get for threadripper 3?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Kirika, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Ah. I didn't know to look out for that.

How can you tell by looking at the listing?

2. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

In the listing:

Timing 16-19-19-39

The sub timings don't match cas latency, ie. in a perfect world be 16-16-16 vs 16-19-19. But costs bring us back to reality.

Zarathustra[H] likes this.
  3. Zarathustra[H]

Ah, good to know. Thanks. I've never paid much attention to subtimings.

thesmokingman likes this.
  4. Zarathustra[H]

Yeah, on my current board I have Dual x520 which is all I use for networking. One of the ports goes to the switch, which is how I get out to the internet. The other port goes straight to my storage/VM server which has another dual x520, set up the same way. I have the on board ports disabled. I plan on doing the same thing once I do the upgrade.

One thing to keep in mind. I just noticed that some of these TR boards are actually XL-ATX, larger than E-ATX. This includes the Designare, and the Aorus Extreme. Make sure you have a big enough case! :p

mikeo likes this.
  5. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th [H]ard|Gawd

You would have to pay an entrance fee of $440 for anything b-die for 64gb (4 dimms)

I certainly understand why the option you suggested would be enticing.

Alternately if you are curious/perhaps a bit crazy they do have 32gb x4 kits now. Corsair currently offers them and Gskill just announced they will be releasing their kits soon. It would be prohibitively expensive though. Around $560 for basic 2666 kits. They do however OC well.

6. Zarathustra[H]

What does B-die even mean?

7. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Dies are rated A, B, C, D. For some reason B-die has become the king. Why not A-die? I dunno, that would make more alphabetical sense lol.

8. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th [H]ard|Gawd

Just a variety of Samsung DDR4 chips. Their main advantage being the lowest latencies which Ryzen tends to like.
    These are a few articles testing ram speeds and low latencies using mostly b-die kits.

GamersNexus
    TechSpot

9. Zarathustra[H]

Sooo... Why is MSI using a picture with an old Mac Pro on their product page for the TRX40 PRO 10G? :p

upload_2019-12-4_20-1-55.png

Did they hire some interns or something?

mikeo likes this.
  10. sphinx99

sphinx99 Gawd

Clearly it's the first retrofit of a Mac Pro case with TR3.

11. mikeo

mikeo Gawd

If anyone is wondering the trx40 designare supports bifurcation of all 4 pcie slots down to x4x4x4x4 for the 16s and x4x4 for the 8s.

12. Kirika

Kirika Gawd

Thank you for all the replies.

Still trying to figure out which motherboard to get. No luck getting a 3960x so far. Considering going dual epyc maybe instead but threadripper clocks higher for photoshop and lightroom performance. Although dual epyc would be better for Maya and video encoding. May spend the extra for a 3970x if that becomes available first.
    Requirements.
    1. must be able to take 128 gb of ram preferably ECC. upgradable to 256 later
    2. Dual Ethernet ports (for virtual machines)
    3. At least 3 m.2 slots prefer 4 ( Windows boot, OSX Boot, project/vms, scratch) rather have them on motherboard and not have to use a card.
    4. At least 4 pci-express slots, video card, areca raid card, black magic card, elgato.

Leaning towards Asus since my Asus ps2b-ds and PC-DL motherboards still work even after all these years. Asus seems to carry a huge price premium for the Zenith 2 Extreme but it fits all my requirements but it cost more then the dual CPU boards that are usually $500-600. Guess I could settle for Asus Rog Strix TRX40 gaming and lose a m.2 slot.

Gigabyte reliable? Never bought anything from them. Gigabyte TRX40 Designare seems really attractive for thunder bolt 3 and the daughter card for more m.2s but how reliable are they some people are calling them gigafail?

MSI I won't touch with a 10 foot pool. I remember MSI as the bargain basement Chinatown PC shop brand before they switched to Foxconn boards and I hear horror stories of how bad they are can't install windows updates or reinstall windows and just die after only a little over a year. Friend bought an MSI gaming laptop and it died after a year and a half so not confident in buying from them.

Not sure about Asrock. None of their boards meet my requirements anyways.

Learning towards the Asus Zenith 2 Extreme but the Gigabyte TRX40 Designare has feature I like but not sure on their reliability.

What boards did people end up getting?

Also is there a decent air cooler for threadripper 3? Do not intend on over clocking and don't trust water coolers.

13. mikeo

mikeo Gawd

I've got the noctua for my 3970x with two fans setup, probably the best air option for TR right now.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3

Also went with the trx40 designare if you have any questions on that board / setup.

Kirika and IdiotInCharge like this.
  14. Kirika

Kirika Gawd

Thank you.

What did you go with for your set up?

How is the mounting the scews for the gigabyte designare board is it another pain in the neck drill and tap new holes like it was for super micro boards?

15. mikeo

mikeo Gawd

Still waiting on a few parts but mounting it was easy.

16. Kirika

Kirika Gawd

Does it use the e-atx mounting holes or hows that work?

17. mikeo

mikeo Gawd

Not sure, mounted right into a dynamic 011 xl without moving anything around.

18. sphinx99

sphinx99 Gawd

I got the Asus Strix board and so far am extremely pleased with it. It's been extraordinarily robust and stable - well built and so far, for me, entirely glitch-free. The little OLED display shows POST codes on boot in a very useful way, I thought, and the board has virtually everything I could want other than onboard 10GbE which I planned to add via a card at a later date anyway.

The two m.2 slots beneath the first PCIe slot get hot (with a GPU next to them) but I think that is par for the course with most of these boards? Other than that, it's a great system.