What makes sandy bridge so good anyways?

IGP didn't work on P55, P45, P35...915P, 865P, etc either. H55 was the oddball needing a specific CPU *and* a specific chipset, but everything else the IGP being usable has been (and will be with x67 again) determined at the chipset. This is the reason all s1155 chips will have IGPs.

The annoying thing is that the IGP won't work on P67 boards, which from what I understand will be in other respects the best boards. So even if the IGP is mostly useless to me, it would at least have been nice if I could use it as a backup in case my video card dies. But I can't, if I get a P67 board that is. So it really is a worthless piece of silicon for people who get a P67 mobo :/

I do agree it is assinine to not at least include an output for a feature that is guaranteed to be on every cpu in your highend chipset.

I would like to see Nvidia's Optimus supported on the H67 which is more likely to have low power components and benefit from the further savings.

So what about 3d rendering guys or photo shop and all those good programs.

DOnt need to play games to need a good GPU

Sure, there are a lot of cases where a fast GPU is useful. However a vast majority of people don't need a fast GPU for anything apart from maybe future versions of flash (which could be GPU accelerated).

For my internet browsing box I'll take cool & silent operation over GPU muscle which will not be used anyway. My HTPC box has an Intel Atom cpu and an Nvidia ION chipset and the IGP renders both flash and 1080p video without any glitches, this should be even faster.

So yeah, this is an enthusiast site and I understand the IGP fights against everything most users here stand for, but for 90% of the people buying a computer with one of these processors it will do the job well for a lower price and lower power usage (more silent).

I am cpu limited at 4.2ghz using i7 950 quad core.
I need 5ghz so I can utlize the power for my gaming needs.
simple as that.
and new tech is more fun than old tech.

I am cpu limited at 4.2ghz using i7 950 quad core.
I need 5ghz so I can utlize the power for my gaming needs.
simple as that.
and new tech is more fun than old tech.

Plus I imagine your 950 will need replacing soon anyway after running 24/7 at 1.458v :eek:

Plus I imagine your 950 will need replacing soon anyway after running 24/7 at 1.458v :eek:

i doubt it needs to be replaced soon. it may go in a couple years or it may live forever..

im sure hell upgrade before it dies on him.

To each his own I guess but its generally considered bad practice to go more than 20-30mv over the manufacturer's spec voltage limit. Besides, once you are up into that voltage range you are well beyond the efficiency inflection on your overclocking range. At this range it takes a shitload of power to get just a little more speed and you could likely back off a couple hundred mhz and take 100-200mv off your proc.

To each his own I guess but its generally considered bad practice to go more than 20-30mv over the manufacturer's spec voltage limit. Besides, once you are up into that voltage range you are well beyond the efficiency inflection on your overclocking range. At this range it takes a shitload of power to get just a little more speed and you could likely back off a couple hundred mhz and take 100-200mv off your proc.

very true.

but then would he be [H]ard?

did run my old i7 920 for almost 2 years at same voltage, with no issue at all, sold it and got the new one.
vdrop is .2

im still using the old 775 socket with q6600 oc to 3.2gig. you guys upgrade soo much. cant keep up with all this new tech. is it true that sb will need a new socket? thats one thing i dont like about intel is that they always need new socket just to have new tech. so now you guys have to buy a whole new mb and cpu to use sb. intel havent tapped the full potential of all the i's socket now they need a new socket just to have sb. this sucks a big one.

I've been toying with the idea of a new build but put it off for various reasons. I have also been out of the loop for a long time so please bear with me if my questions sound a bit stupid.

I was considering a Core i7-950 build on an X58 based board (Asus P6X58D-E). Now I see all this talk of Sandy Bridge coming out in the next week or two and I'm struggling to decipher all the information.

If I am reading all the info correctly then the new CPUs and motherboards coming in the next few weeks (LGA1155 socket) do not really offer all that much over the current i7/X58 setups do they?

For real performance gains and features one would have to wait longer (Q3/4 2011) for the release of the LGA2011 sockets right?

If someone could offer some insight that would be much appreciated.

TIA,

Syphon

I think the LGA 2011 vs LGA 1155 battle will hinge on whether LGA 2011 offers affordable hexa-core processors. If the only reasonably-priced (let's say <$500) processors on either platform are quad cores, then there will probably be very little difference between 2011 and 1155. Just compare 1366 with 1156. LGA 2011 hexa-core prices are still unknown, but my opinion is that they probably will be priced lower than the current $1000 980X. Especially if AMD can deliver a fight with their octa-"module" Bulldozer. So if you have applications that can benefit from more cores, then maybe waiting for LGA 2011 (or even Bulldozer) is best.

In previewing a Sandy Bridge engineering sample in August, Anandtech concluded:

Clock for clock however, Sandy Bridge seems to offer a 10% increase in performance. Keep in mind that this analysis was done without a functional turbo mode, so the shipping Sandy Bridge CPUs should be even quicker. I'd estimate you can add another 3 - 7% to these numbers for the final chips.

SB chips will be higher-clocked than current-generation i7s, so the improvement over the current generation may be in the neighborhood of 20-30%.

I know this is rather lame to say on a forum like this but I'm excited about the fact SB turbo will boost over TDP for multiple cores. I'm sure SB will be fast enough for the games I play that while I'll overclock to bench I may settle back in on default for 24/7 usage, gaming, and power savings.

I'm seeing some cpu bottlenecking in RTS games with my 775 chip so I'm excited for this upgrade

I can't wait to upgrade.

I'll be going from a 3 year old 65nm Conroe E6750 to hopefully a 2500k or 2600k. I will also be going from ATI 4890 to either a GTX460 or ATI 6850. I also plan on replacing an old 150gb Raptor to a Corsair Force SSD.

This will surely be a happy new year :)

SB chips will be higher-clocked than current-generation i7s, so the improvement over the current generation may be in the neighborhood of 20-30%.

Interesting, the LGA-2011 stuff will likely be out of my budget range when it first lands and it's so far off I don't think it's worth considering at the moment.

My choices are LGA-1366 now or waiting a couple of weeks for the LGA-1155 stuff to land.

From what I have seen the 1155 stuff only supports dual channel DDR3...is this correct or am I getting things mixed up in my head? Surely the current tri-channel 1366 would offer better performance?

Ah...I think I have just answered my own question, LGA-1356 will offer tri-channel support. Is the 1356 stuff landing at the same time (i.e. in the next couple of weeks) as the 1155 parts?

Argh, difficult time to making a buying decision.

EDIT:

Ah, looking around a bit more it looks to me like the LGA-1356 stuff is Q3-2011. Again that's a way off so that leads us back to the original question:

i7-950 & X58

or

i7-2600k & P67/H67

Last edited:
Interesting, the LGA-2011 stuff will likely be out of my budget range when it first lands and it's so far off I don't think it's worth considering at the moment.

My choices are LGA-1366 now or waiting a couple of weeks for the LGA-1155 stuff to land.

From what I have seen the 1155 stuff only supports dual channel DDR3...is this correct or am I getting things mixed up in my head? Surely the current tri-channel 1366 would offer better performance?

Ah...I think I have just answered my own question, LGA-1356 will offer tri-channel support. Is the 1356 stuff landing at the same time (i.e. in the next couple of weeks) as the 1155 parts?

Argh, difficult time to making a buying decision.

EDIT:

Ah, looking around a bit more it looks to me like the LGA-1356 stuff is Q3-2011. Again that's a way off so that leads us back to the original question:

i7-950 & X58

or

i7-2600k & P67/H67

If you can get the X58 combo heavily discounted then I'd go with that.

Gad, you guys are so off topic :p

This processor architecture is awesome because it is designed by Skynet, manufactured by Santa Claus using the unicorn horn powder and the blood of virgins, enchanted with magic (no, not fake Disney magic, real Apple magic), and stamped with Al Gore's environmental stamp of approval (and we all know that this is the hardest thing to get).

Core i7-950:
£234​
Asus P6X58D-E
£140​

Both subject to a discount of 5% if I buy before midnight today and free shipping.

i7-950 & X58

or

i7-2600k & P67/H67

The i7-2600K will outperform the i7-950, so it really comes down to price for you. You are looking at $500-550 for the 2600K+MB, versus probably $350-400 for the 950 (assuming you can get the Microcenter price). Dual channel RAM should be cheaper as well.

The i7-2600K will outperform the i7-950, so it really comes down to price for you. You are looking at $500-550 for the 2600K+MB, versus probably $350-400 for the 950 (assuming you can get the Microcenter price). Dual channel RAM should be cheaper as well.

Hrm, ok...this is giving me food for thought. Will there not be a performance hit due to the dual-channel (vs. tri-chan of X58) nature of these chips/mobos?

Hrm, ok...this is giving me food for thought. Will there not be a performance hit due to the dual-channel (vs. tri-chan of X58) nature of these chips/mobos?

Too early to tell, but probably not. Early leaked benchmarks look pretty good.

I'll prob just sit on my 980x..

You will definitely be faster than the 1155 processors, especially at your speed. The replacement for your chip doesn't come until Socket 2011

Is socket 1155 purely to break compatibility with 1156? Or is there an actual benefit to the new socket?

And that couldn't have been achieved on the other socket because?

They are propping up the socket manufacturers? Does seem kind of strange that they couldn't have kept the same socket - both are dual channel RAM, so that's no excuse.

It's a $$ issue for the mobo manufacturers that have deals with Intel. Want a new cpu? have to shell out for a new mobo!

Also you can tell by my sig that I am in dire need of a serious upgrade, that is coming in January and hopefully with 1366 price drops. I will have to see some more benches of SB first though.

It's a $$ issue for the mobo manufacturers that have deals with Intel. Want a new cpu? have to shell out for a new mobo!

Also you can tell by my sig that I am in dire need of a serious upgrade, that is coming in January and hopefully with 1366 price drops. I will have to see some more benches of SB first though.

Yeah, I have nearly the same specs as you do on my desktop CPU (and I do no gaming on my desktop because I have an X800 GPU). I have not owned an Intel Desktop CPU (I'm typing on my Intel laptop at the moment) since my Pentium II 266. I was pretty set on the AMD Hexacores for my build next month, but Sandy Bridge has my attention because I don't want to build a "dead" platform (I would like to be able to swap out my CPU without chaging boards for my next-next machine)

Have you seen the early benchmarks? I would say there is an actual benefit.

they could of kept the same socket for SB. but you know intel they want to mak as much money as posible so they put out a new cpu and socket. like i said before they havent tapped the full potential of all the i's sockets. this is all a money scheme to try and get as much as possible out of you. intel is notorious for doing this. just look at amd. they have not changed sockets at all for all their cpus. am2 and am3's are all compatible with all their current cpu's. intel you suck a big one. thats why i will not upgrade anytime soon as my q6600 at 3.2 is very much alive and well for daily use and some gaming. will keep all my money where it belongs, in my pocket, not intel socket. for god sake, how long have we been at less than 3.6gig on cpu. they cant even pass the magical number of 4gig. they have hit a wall for cpu for the time being. yes you can oc your cpu 4gig or more, but im talking about selling cpu's past 4gig and beyond. cpu's range is just 2gig to 3.6gig thats really not much when it comes to changing the sockets. i understand changing from 775 to all the i's sockets due to ddr3's advantage over ddr2's. so there this is my 2 cents worth. have a good one. and again you suck INTEL....

Last edited:
am2+ is not am2.

I got a am2 in my spare system and was gutted when I read I still would need a new board because need am2+.

intel will lose cpu sales to balance out the extra chipset sales, eg. there is no chance of me upgrading my system to a SB unless this one dies out of warranty. If the new cpu would work on this board, then there may have been a chance in a year or 2 time. Most likely I will be using i5 for 3-4 years and possibly longer.

My PC I have now is the best ive had and knock on wood its been flawless.and I believe it will run any game for quite a while..I read in a magazine that said 1156 is dead..Well I beg to differ..

Im still sitting on my Q9550. Works Flawless, I rarely ever over clock. I have been honestly waiting for Sandy Bridge to come out. I seen no reason for myself, to upgrade to i7

Back