What is the best company for an ATI card?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
I have been an nVidia user since sometime after the 9800PRO and even back then if i remember right ATI boxed their own cards? what is the best and most reliable company that makes ATI cards? I am gearing up to get a new 5870 but not sure which company i should go for, if this was nVidia i know BFG/EVGA are good to go with but for the 5870 i see XFX, Asus and Saphire?

XFX and why is it loved. Best Warranty out their and best customer support and best quality build cards

I've had great luck with Asus cards, and apparently the Asus 5870 has voltage tweaking software or something like that. But yeah, overall XFX FTW.

XFX... cool designs,
(1 time) transferable lifetime warranty (if registered within 30 days of purchase).

XFX is the only company with a US based warranty for ATI cards as far as I know.... aren't they?

HIS makes you send overseas, taking up to 30 days after it arrives to replace (you send it to a US address)

Sapphire has horrid CSR's.

Powercolor sends it overseas.

Gigabyte/Asus are US ship-to's but have long turnaround times.

XFX is like eVGA.

Yes, why is XFX so loved?

XFX built a good reputation with it's Nvidia cards. You could say the big 3 are EVGA, BFG, XFX. All have a better reputation on their warranties/rma process/customer services than any of the ATI choices. Since XFX started selling ATI cards, it's just been a popular no brainer if you have the option to choose which company you want. Also the double warranty adds value if you wanted to resell. Buyers will feel a lot better about buying used.

I can say though that HIS have a good RMA ratio from what I've experienced. I trust them..but would still take XFX(mind you i'm in Australia, so everything needs overseas shipping anyway.
and XFX, EVGA etc only give us a couple of years warranty.

XFX

Don't buy Asus please, they might have a no hassle /registration or receipt needed for warranty. The actual warranty of you sending your card in 2-3 times after they send you the exact same broken card back 2-3 times is not fun. Unless the videocard don't post at all then you might get a replacement in a timely manner.

XFX

Don't buy Asus please, they might have a no hassle /registration or receipt needed for warranty. The actual warranty of you sending your card in 2-3 times after they send you the exact same broken card back 2-3 times is not fun. Unless the videocard don't post at all then you might get a replacement in a timely manner.

I guess I wasn't the only one this happened to. They slapped on a different heatsink on mine. Only reason I knew they did that was because the fan on it made a clicking sound and the temps were like 70IDLE because the paste was hard as a rock and the core was almost spotless when I took it off to see what was going on o_o. I'm just glad my 4830 flat out died in the middle of heavy graphic intensive web browsing the day before I got a free shipping label for RMA #2. At least it ended well. They didn't have 4830s in stock so got a brand new in box 4850. The people are really nice and try to help, but they are pretty skimpy on their willingness to replace/fix the first time. Which can be understandable, but I think this is why they are never first on people's list to buy on video cards. The whole process took about a month If I remember correctly.

xfx,

we are meeting the 3 letter post requirement and also overwhelmingly giving you the best choice.

See the 2 (rather decent for the purpose) cards in my signuature?
I jumped ship from ASUS and Sparkle just this month.

XFX is the only company with a US based warranty for ATI cards as far as I know.... aren't they?

HIS makes you send overseas, taking up to 30 days after it arrives to replace (you send it to a US address)

Sapphire has horrid CSR's.

Powercolor sends it overseas.

Gigabyte/Asus are US ship-to's but have long turnaround times.

XFX is like eVGA.

What is CSR??

anyone know XFX ATI warranty details for Europe (UK to be exact) - the website seems to be standard form, 1year limited liability etc. oem 8800gtx just died after 18months, so warranty quite important factor for next purchase.
Hear about the double-lifetime guarantee, but guess thats only Nvidia and/or North American options?

CSR is a customer service representative. XFX is the brand of choice because they have great and easy to use custom service and they also offer a double lifetime warranty on their cards that also covers aftermarket modifications such as aftermarket coolers. Plus, the designs they use on their cards are the best looking ones out there

Just to clarify, XFX will still honor the lifetime warranty even if you choose to install an aftermarket cooler, however the defect must be a manufacturing defect and not something that you damaged when installing the aftermarket cooling solution. Still a great warranty.

Last edited:
anyone know XFX ATI warranty details for Europe (UK to be exact) - the website seems to be standard form, 1year limited liability etc. oem 8800gtx just died after 18months, so warranty quite important factor for next purchase.
Hear about the double-lifetime guarantee, but guess thats only Nvidia and/or North American options?

I'd also like to know this. At first impressions it seems that the XFX warranty is far inferior in the UK.

XFX, unless things have changed recently.

When I was researching my 4890 purchase, I checked the details on the warranties/RMA procedures for most of the ATI partners and ended up liking XFX the most overall. I even gave their toll free number a call to feel out their wait times and CSRs, and get a few more details on their warranty. I liked what I heard. That's who I went with. I haven't RMA'd through them yet, but have no regrets so far.

Just remember to register the card within the first 30 days. IIRC, that's required for the full warranty.

mail you the same video card over and over.
sending your card in 2-3 times after they send you the exact same broken card back 2-3 times is not fun.

Did they put in a big test sheet showing what was tested and fixed.
That is what those clowns did with me and a bad motherboard.
FUNNY THING they never even took it out of the box. the tape was not removed.
BUT they did 50 test and fixed 2 things.
YEA RIGHT
I paid overnight both ways to get it done F ASUS

xfx evga visiontek NEVER ASUS crap

To be honest, I have had a pair of HIS 3870's since launch and they have run amazingly well. I just bought a Sapphire 5870, because I enjoyed my old Sapphire X700 Pro (and the sapphire card was the only one available). I'd say if you are just looking at buying a standard first gen of a card it doesnt matter as they are all about the same. If you are planning on waiting it out for price drops, look for the ones that are manufacturer over clocked, or have a better cooler. I've never had any customer support issues, but maybe i'm just lucky.

thanks for the info everyone, looks like i will be getting an XFX, i like the design on the card and box also.

I've had VisionTek, HIS, Diamond, and Sapphire.

Sapphire have been the best.

Back