what happened to the 3850X

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by sparks, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Calavaro

Calavaro Whiskey & Honey

SeymourGore likes this.
  2. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

So we got the full expected lineup from the leak minus some of the graphics parts. He had big time caveats on pricing and clocks because there was no way to have final details that far ahead or know what market conditions would be. Honestly, given just how far ahead those leaks were I don't know how they could have been much more accurate.

I'll be picking up a 3700X. If Acer releases a bios for the helios 500 it'll replace the 2700 in that, if not it'll go in my sff to replace the 1700 that's in it. Then I wait for 16c threadripper. Should be 4.9 boost with quad channel ram and no latency penalty - plus a lot more power to play with fit oc'ing. Can't wait!

3. Verdi

Verdi n00b

I've never seen a comment age badly this fast.

otg likes this.
  4. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

;^p

5. Calavaro

Calavaro Whiskey & Honey

Yes, scary accurate if you remove the marketing names and prices (which are 2 things that changes more often than a baby's diaper.)
    Considering the leak was from December 2018... pwoah!
    adoredvsamd.png

6. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

I think that AdoredTV had both 12 and 16 cores at 5 ghz turbo

7. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

Expectation of 5ghz as the standard of performance tells me youre (general statement, not any one specific person) either a dumb puppet who was brainwashed by a number or 2 you have no idea how processors work and are still brainwashed.

5ghz is the number that Intel has settled on as the defacto cap per se of thier configurations performance peak.

AMD clearly doesn't need 5ghz to reach the same performance thus making 5ghz nothing but an arbitrary number based on another companies design results.

I would give an analogy but its already retarded seeing this expectation for 5ghz and disregard for the massive strides AMD has made at less power and clocks than Intel.

Anyone who says AMD sucks because zen 2 is not at 5ghz is a fool especially given we see how fast and power saving the new architecture is at lower clocks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Brackle, DeeJayBump, Hakaba and 3 others like this.
  8. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

The fake "leaks" said the the 12 core part would turbo 5.0 GHz and 16 core part would turbo to 5.1 GHz.

Then there are the Zen 2 APUs which aren't even't supposed to show up until next year, and the Zen+ APUs that are missing.

The only reason the fake "leaks" seems close in your chart is that you only cherry-picked things that are close and disregarded everything else.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Imagine I got 20% on a exam and only cherry-picked the problems that I got right to say that I did great!

That's exactly what you are doing.

9. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Exactly. The leaks said 5.1GHz turbo, 16 cores, 15% IPC improvement, at 105w TDP. All of that combined was too good to be true.

10. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Actually, I believe the 16-core part Jim talked about was stated as having a TDP of 135W (and 125W for the 12-core)...?

11. Hakaba

Hakaba Gawd

Cool part, I honestly do not see use for it in any of my setups. Unless it supports ecc and can run on the ASRock X470D4U.

As for taking away from TR, I do not really see that either. They both may be 16 cores parts, but they are designed for completely different uses. Well... I see it may take some sales from TR, and that would be the overkill 16 core gamer who believes he needs all of that power.

12. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Threadripper still has way more memory bandwidth and more PCIe lanes. That's of value to people who need it for workstation applications.

Boil likes this.
  13. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

And WAY more power delivery when the inevitable zen2 refresh comes. Even the matx x399m can push a 2990wx to 4.1 with active vrm cooling - meaning it can push 400-500w. I'm just hoping they release a 16c version, tr has traditionally had higher max boost than am4 due to better silicon, and with no more latency/numa issues it'll be a total ass kicker. Even if they don't, we should get a quad chiplet 24c that's around 3.9 base, 4.8 or 4.9 boost.

14. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera 2[H]4U

German overclocker Der8bauer has X570 motherboards and 3000 chips in hand he gave a glance on his site yesterday in a video.

15. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I'm actually surprised anyone would have them this early, but that's a very good sign.

16. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Well Der8bauer works for one of the big manufacturers.

17. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Well, that would make sense then.

18. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan [H]ard|Gawd

We have this kind of conversation with every knew major product release. Speculation is great provided everyone is aware that it's speculation. We like to talk about this stuff, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Great! It's only a problem when people get emotionally attached to a certain result, and come to expect a certain outcome as opposed to discussing the possibility of a certain outcome.

I dislike both the notion that speculation is bad because it sets expectations (it doesn't, unless someone is being dumb), but also dislike the notion that it's anything more than what it is. Rumors/leaks... these are speculation ONLY. Never take them too seriously!

Sulphademus and otg like this.
  19. dhp318

dhp318 n00b

These companies spend a lot of time going through every possible iteration of product lineups, so I'm sure a 3850X was a possibility that was simply passed over for xyz reasons.

20. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

I talked about it earlier on the Navi discussion , it can hurt as well. But take the Zen 2 case where loads (too many for my liking) of people just type where is my 5ghz cpu ?

People keep referring to it as 5ghz and it is being interpreted as being all core boost not as a single core one.
    It seems that this reality we are in people see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. And everything dipped in absolutes (great binary thinkers :) ) ....

21. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Way to read the thread title & then blindly comment...

The hypothetical 3850X is now known as the Ryzen 9 3950X...

You know, exactly what we have been discussing in the last two pages...

22. penn919

penn919 n00b

Well it isn't there anymore. I'd assume those would be under NDA so he probably got in trouble.