WD VelociRaptor

Has there been any news on the launch of the 150gb VRaptor? I don't see the model on WD's website anymore.

Has there been any news on the launch of the 150gb VRaptor? I don't see the model on WD's website anymore.

Im sure they are trying to milk the 300gigs vraptors before they launch the 150gb and 74gb vraptors! :D

I haven't heard anything about a 74 GB VR...? :confused:

I haven't heard anything about a 74 GB VR...? :confused:

WOW I started a thread here talking about 74GB and 150GB information found by somebody in a thread at anandtech.com and apparently when I click back on the links, the info about the 74GB and 150GB velociraptor is gone... Well I am sure the info is still stored somewhere. Anyway thisis a another thread at xtremesystems.org that talked about spotting the 74GB and 150GB Velociraptor.

I knew that a 150GB model was in the works, I wasn't aware of a 74GB model. I would get either the 300 or 150GB models. Anything less is just not enough space even with secondary drives.

I knew that a 150GB model was in the works, I wasn't aware of a 74GB model. I would get either the 300 or 150GB models. Anything less is just not enough space even with secondary drives.

Yeah I've got a single 74GB Raptor in my girlfriends PC and a single install of Age of Conan actually eats up around 40% of the drive.

Is this drive really that much quieter than the 150GB during seek? I'm interested in getting one of these but my last Raptor drove me crazy so I sold it.

Is this drive really that much quieter than the 150GB during seek? I'm interested in getting one of these but my last Raptor drove me crazy so I sold it.

Much queiter. It's a different kind of noise - the normal Raptors have kind of a louder grinding to them during seek. These have a higher pitched, queiter, "tick, tick, tick" sound. I can't even hear mine in my P180B.

I find the GLFS quite loud during seek. Reminds me of the noise drives had in the early 90's.
It's not a defective drive either, I have two, they both sound the same. The spin noise is inaudible. The seek noise is quite a bit louder than my previous Deskstar drives, and to me anyway the seek noise is a bit annoying.

I am sure I will get used to it over time as the performance is nice, but still, these drives are not quiet, at least not in my experience. I'll remove them from the alu block next and see whether than helps, but I doubt it.

I took the plunge... I hope it is quieter. I don't have a silencing case like the P180B anymore though. That case was able to make my 150GB Raptors tolerable.

I find the GLFS quite loud during seek. Reminds me of the noise drives had in the early 90's.
It's not a defective drive either, I have two, they both sound the same. The spin noise is inaudible. The seek noise is quite a bit louder than my previous Deskstar drives, and to me anyway the seek noise is a bit annoying.

I am sure I will get used to it over time as the performance is nice, but still, these drives are not quiet, at least not in my experience. I'll remove them from the alu block next and see whether than helps, but I doubt it.
these are definitely quieter than the old raptors, but not as quiet as a WD6400AAKS
I have one VelociRaptor suspended in my P182 without the IcePak and it's still louder than the WD6400AAKS right next to it, but not loud by any means

Where is the cheapest store to get a velociraptor in the US? I'm going on holiday to Florida in a few weeks and want to pick one up seeing as the exchange rate is still good. I've seen CompUSA have it listed as $299 on their website, is this pretty much the standard price everywhere?

I got mine for $279 shipped from NewEgg. I don't know if they're still running that. Best Buy has 'em for $279 + tax.

WTF. I'm probably doing something wrong?

HD Tune: WDC WD3000GLFS-01F8U Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 4.9 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 115.8 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 90.3 MB/sec
Access Time : 7.3 ms
Burst Rate : 186.8 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 47.3%

WTF. I'm probably doing something wrong?

HD Tune: WDC WD3000GLFS-01F8U Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 4.9 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 115.8 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 90.3 MB/sec
Access Time : 7.3 ms
Burst Rate : 186.8 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 47.3%

Are you benching this as your OS drive? Windows or something else like an antivirus is probably accessing the drive at the same time as your benchmark, which would explain the low minimum dip.

my 150

min 75.8
max 118.4
average 100.7

access time 7.0

burst 194.5

cpu usage 3%

single drive on p5q D p45

Got my 300gb vraptor.
pretty neat drive.
I never had installed the matrix raid/ahci drivers before which made a difference heh.
did some runs using testprograms and had dips that went away when I did the driver thingy..:rolleyes:
Fast, quite silent and cool.

Much improved desktop experience now from my raptor 74gb.

They are great drives indeed. Definitely should be the kings in the mechanical SATA market for a few years.

got my 2 vr raptors in raid 0 @ 100 GB each, so just using 200 of 600 gb. smack be on fire! :D

What are you doing with the rest of the space on both drives? :confused:

Some of us need SPEED, not space. I need very little space. I set my two VR300's up in two seperate Intel Matrix RAID volumes. The first volume is shortstroked for the OS (Very, very fast) using only 40GB on the outside edges of the platters on both drives. The second volume uses up the rest where my games and temp storage reside.

How is everyone partitioning the 300gb velociraptor, full or half?

I had mine partitioned at 80GB for OS and programs.

Now that I've gone to an 80GB VR for that situation, mine just kinda sits and spins with nothing on it. It's too small for storage, and too big for a boot drive.

Wanna buy it? :D

I had mine partitioned at 80GB for OS and programs.

Now that I've gone to an 80GB VR for that situation, mine just kinda sits and spins with nothing on it. It's too small for storage, and too big for a boot drive.

Wanna buy it? :D
BTW, Aren't the 80GB VR drives faster? Serious about selling?

BTW, Aren't the 80GB VR drives faster?

That's kinda iffy. I, nor any other person that have shown graphs, got anywhere near what the seller posted for specs.

However, it's just as fast as my 300GB VR when I had it partitioned at 80GB.

I'd have no problem selling it for @ 150.00 USD, but it's definately a bad time because I'm moving.

I've been here for 15 yrs and it's pretty overwhelming.

If you wanna come over and help, I'll give it to ya! :D

Dammit, those specially tuned drivers FLECOM has... damn him, damn him to Hell!!! :D I'd still love to try and duplicate the results he got with his 80GB - didn't he sell one of them to you, OldHippie? Hmmm...

Dammit, those specially tuned drivers FLECOM has... damn him, damn him to Hell!!! :D I'd still love to try and duplicate the results he got with his 80GB - didn't he sell one of them to you, OldHippie? Hmmm...

Absloutely. You've seen my graphs in the other thread.

Anyone experience raid access failure error in Vista 64? As soon as I installed them in raid 0 I got that error along with a parity error and data corruption. My old 74gb raptors worked fine in raid 0, same with a couple of caviar blacks. I tried changing the cables and no luck. I have an Abit IN9-32X 680i motherboard. Will I have to return these drives?

Thanks.

Anyone experience raid access failure error in Vista 64? As soon as I installed them in raid 0 I got that error along with a parity error and data corruption. My old 74gb raptors worked fine in raid 0, same with a couple of caviar blacks. I tried changing the cables and no luck. I have an Abit IN9-32X 680i motherboard. Will I have to return these drives?

Thanks.

I'm willing to bet it's the fault of NVRAID than the drives if anything.

Back