• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WD VelociRaptor

Since db isn't linear, thats like what, half? Or how does that work?

LI.GIF

From

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level

Imperceptible Change = 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change = 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change = 5dB
About Twice as Loud = 10dB
About Four Times as Loud = 20dB
 
Thank you for being right. :D

Np ! :D

Seriously though,I have a few friends that have worked for Ingram Micro for years,and years,fairly high up.So once and a while they get the lowdown on things in the pipe,etc.
I was told we will not see a windowed version though. :( But still this is a nice treat for all us enthusiats on here.

I am just drooling at the possibilities of these in Raid 0..... :eek: :eek:

sexxay !
 
These things really do give SSDs a run for their money, and cost 1/10th the price..
Eh.
I think it was Techreview who put one toe to toe with an MTron Pro 64GB SSD. In terms of HDTach benchies, they trade blows. But when it comes to the theoretically "real world" test of PCMark 05, the SSD crushed even the new competitor. Like, it wasn't even close. The SSD scored about 17k, the Velociraptor scored about 11k.
Granted, the SSD costs about $1900.
 
Tech Report says:

"Western Digital says it's also working on a single-platter version of the drive, but that's not ready yet"

I'd be willing to hold off for that if it wasn't too long after
 
Tech Report says:

"Western Digital says it's also working on a single-platter version of the drive, but that's not ready yet"

I'd be willing to hold off for that if it wasn't too long after


That will probably be the "thin" notebook one with 150gb.
 
Wow - good stuff. I'll be getting 2 of these in RAID0 to replace my 3 older 74GB Raptors in RAID0. I've got 2 other boxes that can use those 3 Raptors. WOOT! THANK YOU WD! I've been waiting TOO long for new Raptors to come out.
 
If they come out with a thin one I'll buy that. I was already considering going SSD on my desktop, but this would be more storage and cheaper.
 
Now here's a questionsz.

Is a single 300GB "Velociraptor" faster than 2 x 150's Raptors in Raid0?

Both roughly the same price.. although you could probably find 150 raptors cheaper once the 300's come out... hopefully... :D
 
Now here's a questionsz.

Is a single 300GB "Velociraptor" faster than 2 x 150's Raptors in Raid0?

Both roughly the same price.. although you could probably find 150 raptors cheaper once the 300's come out... hopefully... :D

this is what i want to know also
 
If they come out with a thin one I'll buy that. I was already considering going SSD on my desktop, but this would be more storage and cheaper.
same here, I'm not worried about the thickness for my desktop, but would rather have a 150GB version since I don't need that much room for OS/apps

SSD is tempting, but so expensive - looking at $600 for 32GB
I think the VelociRaptor should hold me over another year at least
hopefully SSD prices will drop fast
 
34dB - 27dB = 7 dB difference. 10 dB would be 1/10 as loud, 3 dB would be about 1/2 as loud. So somewhere in the middle.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but sound power and perceived loudness are not the same thing. 10db does mean 10 times the sound power, but our ears will only hear it as about twice as loud. So the drive will be more than half-as-loud.
 
Hate to beat a dead horse, but sound power and perceived loudness are not the same thing. 10db does mean 10 times the sound power, but our ears will only hear it as about twice as loud. So the drive will be more than half-as-loud.

One of the multitudes of reviews Ive read today (I forget which one) said that it was so quiet that you would really have to concentrate and listen for it to hear it inside your case.
 
Why would you need a "thin" one for your desktop?

Well, I guess the issue there isn't so much thickness, but cost :p If I can get a 150 GB version for $170 or something like that, I'd be much happier than with a 300GB version for $300.

And if it fits in my laptop, all the better :D I'd like to at least try it...
 
Wake me when it's ~2x the average cost per GB of drives that are still damn near as fast.

Sorry, but I'm still unimpressed, and it's still loud as hell. 38dB makes it far louder than anything else in my case -- if they were going to slap a 2.5" drive in a 'caddy' like that, they could've at least included some kind of sound deadening system.
Hey genius, that 38dB is from 3 millimeters away. Are you putting one in your headphones?
Not to mention, SR has no info on their sound measuing practices, I'd stick with SPCR for anything related to quiet computing.
However, just look at the other drives it's compared with. According to SR, it's only a bit louder than a WD10EACS, which is the quietest hard drive SPCR has ever reviewed.
 
Well, I guess the issue there isn't so much thickness, but cost :p If I can get a 150 GB version for $170 or something like that, I'd be much happier than with a 300GB version for $300.

And if it fits in my laptop, all the better :D I'd like to at least try it...
I'm thinking 2 x 150 GB RAID 0 for desktop and 1 x 150 GB for laptop.
 
Eh.
I think it was Techreview who put one toe to toe with an MTron Pro 64GB SSD. In terms of HDTach benchies, they trade blows. But when it comes to the theoretically "real world" test of PCMark 05, the SSD crushed even the new competitor. Like, it wasn't even close. The SSD scored about 17k, the Velociraptor scored about 11k.
Granted, the SSD costs about $1900.
Do you have a link to that review? I was wondering why no one compared SSD's head-to-head with this new drive. The conspiracy theorist in me had a feeling that the Western Digital agreement to get one of these for review, must have said you wouldn't compare it to an SSD.
 
Do you have a link to that review? I was wondering why no one compared SSD's head-to-head with this new drive. The conspiracy theorist in me had a feeling that the Western Digital agreement to get one of these for review, must have said you wouldn't compare it to an SSD.
I'd like a link too. I'm hoping this site will compare it to a SSD. They do a lot of SSD reviews.
http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/
 
Also, any word on other sizes? I don't need anything bigger than 74GB honestly.

Unless they shipped the smaller-capacity drives with 150GB platters but made some of space inaccessible, you'd be losing the performance advantage - the reason the old Raptors were getting beaten by terabyte drives in real-world tests was because of their low areal density. Using a small platter size would just make them slower.
 
Well, you guys can fight over the amount of noise it makes. 38db @ 3mm or cm even means it aint that loud if at all when inside a case and several feet away from my ears. I'm in for at least one.
 
Unless they shipped the smaller-capacity drives with 150GB platters but made some of space inaccessible, you'd be losing the performance advantage - the reason the old Raptors were getting beaten by terabyte drives in real-world tests was because of their low areal density. Using a small platter size would just make them slower.


The 300gb is a 2 Platter Drive, the 150 will be a 1 platter drive.
 
Well, you guys can fight over the amount of noise it makes. 38db @ 3mm or cm even means it aint that loud if at all when inside a case and several feet away from my ears. I'm in for at least one.

Yeah, you guys that think different have never pulled out a GOOD properly calibrated dB meter. You see all these data points published on products and they are mostly crap for real world comparison. Here is a chart that will put some of it into perspective, even though it focuses on loud situations rather than quiet ones. And yes, we use this company's equipment.

1205349905Tnh0aSPxAt_6_1_l.gif
 
Hey genius, that 38dB is from 3 millimeters away. Are you putting one in your headphones?
Not to mention, SR has no info on their sound measuing practices, I'd stick with SPCR for anything related to quiet computing.
However, just look at the other drives it's compared with. According to SR, it's only a bit louder than a WD10EACS, which is the quietest hard drive SPCR has ever reviewed.

That's idle noise. They don't say anything about the seek noise. People don't complain about the raptor's idle noise, they complain about the seeks. Techreport does say that's its a bit quieter than the previous raptors, though.
 
Meh, I was hoping you'd do some damage with this article Kyle. Seems like a good topic to apply the "real world game testing" philosophy. Take some games and compare load times, especially some notorious ones like HalfLife2 where you have an unending spree of 'Loading...' messages.
 
Eh.
I think it was Techreview who put one toe to toe with an MTron Pro 64GB SSD. In terms of HDTach benchies, they trade blows. But when it comes to the theoretically "real world" test of PCMark 05, the SSD crushed even the new competitor. Like, it wasn't even close. The SSD scored about 17k, the Velociraptor scored about 11k.
Granted, the SSD costs about $1900.

Do you have a link to that review? I was wondering why no one compared SSD's head-to-head with this new drive. The conspiracy theorist in me had a feeling that the Western Digital agreement to get one of these for review, must have said you wouldn't compare it to an SSD.

I'd like a link too. I'm hoping this site will compare it to a SSD. They do a lot of SSD reviews.
http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/
PCMark is really the only valid test, but here it is fwiw
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/the_new_fastest_hard_drive_ever?page=0,1
 
I wonder if you could take off the Icepak heatsink and make it fit into my drive bays. I know there would be an inch of space, but would the SATA and power hookups match?
 
For all the guys complaining about the size being too big, keep in mind big is good because even if you only have 50GB worth of data, that 50GB will be sitting on the outermost edge of the drive which is GREAT for access times, read times and write times. If that same 50GB was sitting on a 74GB drive, it'd be spread across the whole thing, resulting in significanlty slower performance.

That said, I only need about 100GB worth of space, but I'm getting 2 of these for RAID0.
 
Kyle said:
I do know that I personally moved to using nothing but Western Digital hard drives after the whole IBM fiasco years ago and have not looked back.
*sigh*
 
I think I just got a stiffie.....

Bout time WD came out with a new raptor, been waiting couple of years now for it.
 
What ever happened to you getting more for the same price with each new generation? Harddrive performance has been so slow, capacity has increased decently, but price per capacity hasn't moved as fast. (at least not for high performance stuff)

Ram, CPU's, etc... have been double performance and capacity while keeping prices about the same.

How about this thing cost $200, and the 150Gb drop down to $100?! Thats more with where their prices need to be!! If not I'll just be buying a WD 640Gb for my next drive.
 
Back
Top