WD Easystore External Discussion

Put an Ultrastar He8, EZZX and EZFX next to each other.
They're mechanically the same drive ;)

<-- Owns all three models

I think you mean 'Blue' rather than 'Green' drive as the "EZ" nomenclature indicates a 'Blue' drive.
No, I mean the box the 'Mybook' device comes in:
A9281557.jpg

I just checked BB again and they're back. I picked up 2 after a couple days of trying. My 3TB drives on the HTPC are full so these will be a nice boost!

It won't matter in the end, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how quiet these are.

I ran a full long format on one last night, wow that was lengthy.

Also butchered the clips on the first one I opened.

Received mine today, it's a WD Red. Formatting now. I'll have to grab more if they become available.
Thanks everyone for the assurance of the drive. Nothing worse than playing enclosed hd roulette.

Broke all 4 of the tabs while trying to open them. What are you guys even using? I tried prying with my hands, then mini screwdriver and sometimes a mini-knife.
How are you all opening these without breaking the tabs? Or am I just that much of a brute? :(

I don't have the version you guys have, but did you use credit cards/gift cards to open them? That worked like a charm for me.

I used one of these:
9972_1.jpg

...and several small standard screw drivers. As I slowly worked my way around the enclosure with the razer, I slid in the screw drivers to prevent it from closing back up. ...no tabs were damaged.

Huh - so, I've been looking to upgrade my external storage... I take it this is about the best you can do for an external USB3 drive that's at least 8GB? Cuz if so count me in. I only ask because it sounds like most of you are purchasing to get at the drive inside rather than use it as is.

Huh - so, I've been looking to upgrade my external storage... I take it this is about the best you can do for an external USB3 drive that's at least 8GB? Cuz if so count me in. I only ask because it sounds like most of you are purchasing to get at the drive inside rather than use it as is.
Deal is done. It's now 220 or 229.

But is it still likely to be the best quality external 8GB drive? $40 bucks more for it sucks but it is what it is if it's still a good deal compared to everything else.
It's a fine deal if you want an external. The internals are about this price on their own... No schucking necessary

In my case I would buy 2 and use them as externals and then schuck the 2 external 4TB HGST drives I currently use that are way out of warranty. Since this will be a winter project I did not get any this time. I use these external drives are for parity for my SnapRAID protected data.

FYI, I didn't go to sites I agree with. I went to sites that came up in google and discussed the top GDPs in the world. Do you have anything or are you just here to troll?
BBY is still the cheapest that I see. If you don't feel like shelling another one, then Amazon is $235.
You might try getting Newegg to price match Amazon, but I suspect they'll only drop to Amazon's price after tax, which is only 4 bucks less than Newegg's current price.

Incase anyone missed out. I have 3 that I am returning Friday. It just makes more sense for me to use 4tb drives for my needs. If anyone would like to purchase them shoot me a PM. 179.99 plus 7% tax and shipping/paypal fees each. Would really prefer to sell all 3 to 1 person. If you want to throw in a little $ for my time i wont object, but i dont have a problem just helping someone out as long as im not losing $.

Edit: added these to my FS thread

Edit: sold

Last edited:
Incase anyone missed out. I have 3 that I am returning Friday. It just makes more sense for me to use 4tb drives for my needs. If anyone would like to purchase them shoot me a PM. 179.99 plus 7% tax and shipping/paypal fees each. Would really prefer to sell all 3 to 1 person. If you want to throw in a little $ for my time i wont object, but i dont have a problem just helping someone out as long as im not losing $.

That puts the price to about $224. Current price at BB is $229.99

That puts the price to about $224. Current price at BB is $229.99
Okay, and then you add your states sales tax as well. I don't need to sell these on here, I can just return them. Just throwing it out there incase someone wants to save $100ish dollars on 3 drives in the next 2 days.

Ordered two, my Plex server has been building up, an extra 16TB will really help that out. Was really temped to just go balls out, but I really don't need to spend that kinda money, however this was just to good to pass up for the space in some good drives.

Just went to buy 2, the price is still listed but apparently shipping is not available.

Im curious.. isn't anyone just yanking them out of their cases and using them as internal drives or have a case with hot swapable options?

Im curious.. isn't anyone just yanking them out of their cases and using them as internal drives or have a case with hot swapable options?

Most people ARE taking these out and using them as internal drives, such as myself. Considering the Red on its own is $270 at most places right now it makes this a considerable deal.

Crap doesn't allow for shipping and says none are available in a 250 mile radius.

Crap doesn't allow for shipping and says none are available in a 250 mile radius.

Keep watching, did the same to me on the first round, kept checking and then 2nd time it came up shipping was available, as they had none around me either. If they do show it for shipping though, buy it right away, they don't seem to stay up for shipping for long.

Shazbot!.... no delivery but available for local pickup in Clarksville... was adding CC info and banner popped up saying sold out and removed from cart *crys*

**Edited to Add**

When it sent me back to website I clicked item again and shipping was available.. got 1 :)

I couldn't figure out why anyone gave a damn about breaking the taqbs on the case.. then my sleep deprived brain finally clicked on the concept that you need the case to deal with warranty issues and if you break the tabs you most likely void that warranty... DOH!

Last edited:
For those that bought the first and/or second time around. How long did it take for them to ship?

For those that bought the first and/or second time around. How long did it take for them to ship?

I ordered mine this weekend, just got an email a few minutes ago that they shipped.

Back