WD Easystore External Discussion

This is exactly what I'd need, an affordable 8TB USB HDD for offline backup from NAS.

Too bad they don't even offer this product in europe, I had really wished to get this enclosure design WD drive but in 8TB.... at this price it's a steal. Cheapest option here in Finland is a Porche Design P9233 at 219€ (~$255) but then you get a Seagate archieve SMR disk. :( Cheapest WD Red 8TB for example is 280€ but ~300€ is the norm.

I don't get it why there's so many more USB drive offerings in US. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
Picked up two of the 4TB's today from a local BB. Unfortunately they are Blues :(

IMG_20171027_183006.jpg IMG_20171027_182956.jpg

What I meant is I am not a fan of WDC Red drives however since these use hgst tech I am happy with that. And happy that I purchased 2 of these when they were on sale.

What I meant is I am not a fan of WDC Red drives however since these use hgst tech I am happy with that. And happy that I purchased 2 of these when they were on sale.
They're not merely hgst tech, they're hgst drives.

All WDC does these days is print colored stickers to go on HGST's drives. They don't innovate anything.

They're not merely hgst tech, they're hgst drives.

All WDC does these days is print colored stickers to go on HGST's drives. They don't innovate anything.

I thought HGST's 3.5" tech was transfered to Toshiba? Not sure, the whole thing is confusing...

I thought HGST's 3.5" tech was transfered to Toshiba? Not sure, the whole thing is confusing...
Nope hgst is wholy owned by wd. Wd did sell assets to toshiba related to the manufacture of 3.5" hdd but that can be fab equipment factories or designs or patents in the form of licensing deal.

Also dpi is wrong wd owns hgst fully so anything hgst came up with since march 8, 2012 is western digital property and as of oct 19, 2015 hgst is nolonger a seperate entity but a brand

All any one needs to know is there are 3 commonly available hdd brands toshiba western digital and seagate all others have been consumed or quit... Toshiba is the minor player who doesnt really do anything.

Ssd have more variety as there are dozens of companies buying nand from samsung tsmc and global foundries

Last edited:
Nope hgst is wholy owned by wd. Wd did sell assets to toshiba related to the manufacture of 3.5" hdd but that can be fab equipment factories or designs or patents in the form of licensing deal.

Also dpi is wrong wd owns hgst fully so anything hgst came up with since march 8, 2012 is western digital property and as of oct 19, 2015 hgst is nolonger a seperate entity but a brand

All any one needs to know is there are 3 commonly available hdd brands toshiba western digital and seagate all others have been consumed or quit... Toshiba is the minor player who doesnt really do anything.

Ssd have more variety as there are dozens of companies buying nand from samsung tsmc and global foundries

variety in SSD's is a relative term.. are there a lot of different SSD brands? yes. but when you get down to the actual parts there really are only 4 players, samsung, hynix, sandisk and intel. the 3 primary ones are samsung, hynix and sandisk so ultimately there's not much of a difference.

variety in SSD's is a relative term.. are there a lot of different SSD brands? yes. but when you get down to the actual parts there really are only 4 players, samsung, hynix, sandisk and intel. the 3 primary ones are samsung, hynix and sandisk so ultimately there's not much of a difference.
Read my last sentence of my previous post. intel uses micron wafers made in global foundries there are some smaller foundries and fab plants but 98% of the wafers to be printed come from 2 or 3 companies humm hynix and fujitsu foundries exist....

sale was on yesterday. I ordered it online and picked it up a little while later. Got it for 180 plus tax(which is a lot in NY...)

I got the white drive, not a red. I used a sata to molex connector to get mine to work in my pc.

Last edited:
Any problems using the white drives in an enclosure that's better than the stock WD one?

I know it's weird to remove the bare drives and put them in a different enclosure, but it's a Vantec one that's actively cooled (whereas the WD one isn't). They will ultimately become internal drives in the NAS/server I'm working on, but may use them temporarily in the enclosure.

Last edited:
Any problems using the white drives in an enclosure that's better than the stock WD one?

I know it's weird to remove the bare drives and put them in a different enclosure, but it's a Vantec one that's actively cooled (whereas the WD one isn't). They will ultimately become internal drives in the NAS/server I'm working on, but may use them temporarily in the enclosure.

I'd imagine you would be fine.

just bought one 196 after tax, came with a WD red WD80EFAX 256mb cache manufactured in Thailand. manufacture date is June 12, 2017

For just streaming MKV files from Kodi would there be any benefit to shucking the drive? Is there a speed issue between internal SATA and USB 3 connections?

For just streaming MKV files from Kodi would there be any benefit to shucking the drive? Is there a speed issue between internal SATA and USB 3 connections?
You're not going to notice it probably if that's all you're using it for. Speed wise you can see better speeds internally, but if you have a good usb 3.0 controller you could see 180MB/sec. You might run into temperature issues if you beat the hell out of it in that case, I had fans on mine while I was testing the drives. People shuck them to put them in a case internally for easier wiring and access. I shucked mine so I could use them in a new raid array, also plugging 8 of them in would have resulted in a lot of wasted plug space!

You're not going to notice it probably if that's all you're using it for. Speed wise you can see better speeds internally, but if you have a good usb 3.0 controller you could see 180MB/sec. You might run into temperature issues if you beat the hell out of it in that case, I had fans on mine while I was testing the drives. People shuck them to put them in a case internally for easier wiring and access. I shucked mine so I could use them in a new raid array, also plugging 8 of them in would have resulted in a lot of wasted plug space!

For me this would be used in an HTPC/Gaming rig. SSD for boot and games and the HD for movie storage. My ITX case only has room for two 3.5" drives. I can probably worry about it being external once I've used up the two internal slots.

for just streaming media to a couple devices you should be perfectly fine over USB 3.0 maybe if you were doing multiple 4k media streams you might get a bottleneck but never tested it myself since i have nothing that uses 4k.

off topic after seeing arnemetis's post i decided to see what temps mine was running at(26c, rooms cold as hell) and noticed i've reached [09] Power-On Hours/Cycle Count: (64336 hours / 7.34 years) on a 500GB seagate hard drive and [09] Power-On Hours/Cycle Count: (80257 hours / 9.16 years) on my old 160GB WD boot drive from my previous system that i've been to lazy to disconnect after moving all my files over.. now i just need to move everything from the seagate to my new drive to finally retire it.

Thanks, this would only be for streaming to one device (projector) and only for a couple hours at a time most likely (1080p).

I was getting 40-50 MB/s consistently backing up my WD MyCloud EX2 NAS w/WD green drives (5,400 RPM) to the 4TB EasyStore (5,400 RPM WD Blue) over USB3.0... Should be plenty of bandwidth for sustained 4k streaming, if the attached host can handle it, I'd think.

Smoking hot deal. Get it before they shut it down (cuz it' ain't BF yet). That's the same one we've been talking about.

See that's what I'm wondering about. I assumed they were the same, but if you go to the BB site and search for easystore 8tb, there are 2 different products that come up.

One is the one just quoted above at $130, and the other is the one the original post of this thread links to, listed at $200. They have different product numbers, they're identical except for the last 4 digits, NEBB and NESN, respectively.

The $130 says it is only available for shipping, so that plus the different models has me wondering if they have different drives inside. If someone orders the cheaper one, hopefully they can enlighten us.

11 pages on SlickDeals and didn't see that one person had actually shucked one of the NEBB's yet. Seems all speculation so far. Good ol' Intarwebs.

Smoking hot deal. Get it before they shut it down (cuz it' ain't BF yet). That's the same one we've been talking about.

Damn sold out now.

The 199.99 is still there of course. I'm going to have to watch this I was going to pick it up this Friday as I have a BB gift card and some rebate cards.

The one that is on sales is probably the white label one.

That was brought up already on the NESN drives though, this new NEBB is a complete mystery at this point. Maybe it's just to prevent price matching, I can't imagine what drive they would slap in there to justify a price like this. Here's hoping the people who jumped get their drives quickly and can shed some light on this potentially hot bf deal. I'll buy 8 more!

The one that is on sales is probably the white label one.
Not sure what what you mean, but the model is identical, so I'd assume it's the same one. Even if it's not, it doesn't matter. They're all HGST drives.

That was brought up already on the NESN drives though, this new NEBB is a complete mystery at this point. Maybe it's just to prevent price matching, I can't imagine what drive they would slap in there to justify a price like this. Here's hoping the people who jumped get their drives quickly and can shed some light on this potentially hot bf deal. I'll buy 8 more!
No mystery here - have three of them from this sale and it is the white label version of the red drive model wd80emaz. Made in Thailand and HOLY COW is this drive fast for 5400 RPM as I can backup files much faster than with the Seagates!

No mystery here - have three of them from this sale and it is the white label version of the red drive model wd80emaz. Made in Thailand and HOLY COW is this drive fast for 5400 RPM as I can backup files much faster than with the Seagates!
Now I am displeased I did not try to buy any this time. I really don't need any more, I picked up 9x of them when they were 159 already.

Anybody interested in 2 of them? Impulse buying on slickdeals is dangerous :oops:

fyi the -NESN model version of external drives is going on sale for 130 either on or around black friday to probably get rid of their remaining stock of the old ones so keep at eye out..

fyi the -NESN model version of external drives is going on sale for 130 either on or around black friday to probably get rid of their remaining stock of the old ones so keep at eye out..

Thanks for the heads up. Any specific store?

Back