WD Easystore External Discussion

Ah shoot. I saw limit 1 here after placing an order for 2 (need 2 for my NAS)
Hope that they don’t cancel.

I got the $159 version. Not $130 but good enough. Nice off site backup for my 6 drive Nas.

Looks like the $130 version is sold out? Will it be back ? Anyone know if its possible to price-match against the $130 somehow?

Also, has anyone ordered online yet gone to pick up in store? If so, were you able to get a "Made in Taiwan" (or was it Thailand? In any case, NOT China) version if you asked for it? The video posted above suggests that is the version with 256mb of cache.

and-its-gone.jpg

That didn't last long.

Edit: Saw this? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

$159.99

You can also use a citi or discover card to price match since BB is sold out.

Both of which also honor BF sales. Standing in line is for suckers.

Looks like that product number is specific to BB, so the price rewind gets a bit risky.

Last edited:
You can also use a citi or discover card to price match since BB is sold out.

Both of which also honor BF sales. Standing in line is for suckers.

Looks like that product number is specific to BB, so the price rewind gets a bit risky.

They'll match it IF it's sold out? Most places WON'T price match if it's sold out???

This is the part number from best buy for the $130 8TB drive.
WDBCKA0080HBK-NEBB

Amazon has 3rd party sellers that sell it, as does Newegg. But both are third party does that matter?

So basically I buy the two drives for $250 each at Amazon or Newegg and then try to get Citi to price match. Or do third party sellers through Newegg or amazon not work?

I guess I'm asking is this a guaranteed thing? Or a --- if the moon aligns and you talk to the CSR sweetly enough type thing?

This is the part number from best buy for the $130 8TB drive.
WDBCKA0080HBK-NEBB

Amazon has 3rd party sellers that sell it, as does Newegg. But both are third party does that matter?

So basically I buy the two drives for $250 each at Amazon or Newegg and then try to get Citi to price match. Or do third party sellers through Newegg or amazon not work?

I guess I'm asking is this a guaranteed thing? Or a --- if the moon aligns and you talk to the CSR sweetly enough type thing?
Not sure about a third party, but I used it on my moto g5 from best buy. Citi price matched the Amazon prime day offer.

They did not even have a display for the 129 drives. I was lucky enough to find this 1 mixed I. With the 159 drives

The key difference was the bundled 250gb cloud storage offer on the front. The 159 version didn't have that. Double checked model/ ski and sure enough it rang up 129

Attachments

• IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 33
I just left the local best buy. They had one on the shelf, I snagged it. My store did have a place for it. And yes the 250gb cloud drive thing was the only difference I noticed.

They did not even have a display for the 129 drives. I was lucky enough to find this 1 mixed I. With the 159 drives

The key difference was the bundled 250gb cloud storage offer on the front. The 159 version didn't have that. Double checked model/ ski and sure enough it rang up 129
Snagged three on the way home from family, they were just as you have pictured. The boxes without the yellow circle scanned for $159. They were not marked or advertised and were actually on the upper part of the shelf that is used, or at lease I assume, for overstock merchandise.

So does anyone have the final word on what drives are inside the 4 ($99.99 WDBCKA0040HBK-NESN) or 8TB ($159.99 WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN)? I read on a bunch or sites that they used to be red's and some say they are blues. I guess the only other difference is the 2yr vs 5 yr warranty for the non USB red drives. (the 4TB Red w/ 5 year is $106 at Newegg now with a promo code).

So does anyone have the final word on what drives are inside the 4 ($99.99 WDBCKA0040HBK-NESN) or 8TB ($159.99 WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN)? I read on a bunch or sites that they used to be red's and some say they are blues. I guess the only other difference is the 2yr vs 5 yr warranty for the non USB red drives. (the 4TB Red w/ 5 year is $106 at Newegg now with a promo code).
This was in one, haven't opened the other two yet.
y4mCnzYZxZCI8zfJWT4QSqvPhzMhi0iItzCjm1BkAl7blodw_1tw5S-tow4avf1wz_C3EQyUT3GEbfjU3s8vjjSWpkgF4jqpUuKtLZ17KHL_NDTKwMhpT2q_nCDV13qICR-VQDUe2zqNYWm2d95hjFztXbA9i4dPopuwM2vORY4OP_lzApvxm96J7A13EnNkJ2Tp39bHkG_icJyjWBd1MyeeA

s!AkJex_nMCtDngpNuC8VcBJTHgh9ANQ

According to crystal disk it has F/W: 83.H0A83
Have not run any test or determined if it has TLER.

Last edited:
Hm...according to the webpage, it now states that the drives are back in stock but in-store only. Sadly, my local stores (including those that claim to be within 100 miles!) it says there are none of the $130 available! Has anyone seen the same thing reported, and then gone to the store and found that there were actually the "proper" drives with the yellow sticker on BB shelves?

I grabbed one of the $160 ones and its waiting for me at BB, but if I can get there and find one or more of the $130 qualified ones that would be even better.

Edit: Thanks for the pic above by the way. From what the vid said earlier, Thailand drives are the "good" ones because they have 256mb cache; so I'd double check any others you have for the bottom of the box (which will show the Made In location) too.

If you get a chance to check/run diagnostics to TLER and other features, please report here!

Back in stock for shipping

Well that lasted about a minute, lol. I got one shipped to me but my buddy said it's unavailable now...

Last edited:
Damnit! Was back in stock for shipping and by the time I went through the checkout process it was OOS again!

Out of stock for local store pick up apparently though

I wonder if this means it will go back in stock for shipping again soon? If this happens and anyone sees it, feel free to report. At the moment it shows you can add to cart but it is "unavailable" for shipping to my zipcode and unavailable in store in this area.

I wonder if this means they'll bring it back in batches since it seems that they've done so all ready a couple times today.

Edit yet again: Now its showing "Add to cart" yet now "store pickup only" and unavailable in my area ;_;

They keep changing the bloody status...

Last edited:

from /r/DataHoarder:

"What's the difference between NEBB and NESN?

From what I understand the NEBB is pretty much a guaranteed white label drive while the NESN still has a chance at a RED drive being inside."

Hm...according to the webpage, it now states that the drives are back in stock but in-store only. Sadly, my local stores (including those that claim to be within 100 miles!) it says there are none of the $130 available! Has anyone seen the same thing reported, and then gone to the store and found that there were actually the "proper" drives with the yellow sticker on BB shelves?

I grabbed one of the $160 ones and its waiting for me at BB, but if I can get there and find one or more of the $130 qualified ones that would be even better.

Edit: Thanks for the pic above by the way. From what the vid said earlier, Thailand drives are the "good" ones because they have 256mb cache; so I'd double check any others you have for the bottom of the box (which will show the Made In location) too.

If you get a chance to check/run diagnostics to TLER and other features, please report here!
All the drives I saw were from Thailand. It stood out as I got burned by 1.5TB seagates from Thailand some years back.

Currently all three are running "badblocks -wsv -b 4096 /dev/sdx", one user stated it took 120 hours.

More details on the 3.3 nonsense:
https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/HGST-Power-Disable-Pin-TB.pdf

https://zackreed.me/hgst-7k6000-not-spinning-not-working/

Last edited:
Went to the local BB at about 1pm and they had room on the shelf for maybe 4-5 of the 8tb $130 deal and they were all taken. They still had about 30 of the $160 version so I grabbed two. Also checked every box to make sure they weren't mixed together. No luck.

Finished my shopping and got in line. They had more of them on display in the check out line maze. Dug through those and found two of the $130 version hiding at the back! Success!

Haven't had a chance to check them out yet. Will update with more details later.

Went to the local BB at about 1pm and they had room on the shelf for maybe 4-5 of the 8tb $130 deal and they were all taken. They still had about 30 of the $160 version so I grabbed two. Also checked every box to make sure they weren't mixed together. No luck.

Finished my shopping and got in line. They had more of them on display in the check out line maze. Dug through those and found two of the $130 version hiding at the back! Success!

Haven't had a chance to check them out yet. Will update with more details later.
nice to hear!

I came home yesterday at about 3pm. Checked the site and the $130 deal was alive, but not in stores. Limit 1. Bought one on my credit card. Bought one on Paypal. They will be delivered by 12/5.

I had just purchased 4 for $160 a couple days ago. As soon as I transferred my data from a 4TB drive that 4TB drive died. "Just in time" purchase policy. (I had the same luck with a failing drive a couple months ago.

I've given up on the $130 deal. It hasn't worked the four times I've tried to check out including the night it went live around 2AM Eastern. Just now, I bought two of the $160 versions. I'd like to have purchased 10x more, but I spent way too much money so far on a new monitor, GPUs, and power supplies... It'll be nice to finally get rid of my hodge podge assortment of HDD (1x1TB External, 2x2TB WD RE4, + 1x3TB Seagate External) and have two modern devices as an archive for my NAS.

3TB Seagate started clicking softly, got the $160 8TB, working nicely. Would rather pay $30 more for a Red than White label when it comes to HDDs.
For those opening it up, I used guitar picks. (follow the attached guide in this thread somewhere) I had to wedge a few more picks on the "top" side (enclosure standing position) in order to pull it out else it didn't budge.

Picked it up on Black Friday of all days, saw there's a few more in the store pickup bin, waiting.. I'd call the store and ask if they have any in stock if you really want one and it's gone offsite. (Tho they are in and out of stock constantly looks like! Weird.)

Update on the $130 specials: both drives are EMAZ and running firmware 83.H0A83, no shockers there. That's been widely known for a while and posted everywhere.

I checked from TLER since Silentbob hasn't followed up and the EMAZ drives do have TLER:

jimmay@shoebox:~ # smartctl -l scterc /dev/da2
smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

SCT Error Recovery Control:
Read: 70 (7.0 seconds)
Write: 70 (7.0 seconds)​

Anything else that still needs answering about these drives? Or is all this old news? I know I'm late to the party...

Update on the $130 specials: both drives are EMAZ and running firmware 83.H0A83, no shockers there. That's been widely known for a while and posted everywhere.

I checked from TLER since Silentbob hasn't followed up and the EMAZ drives do have TLER:

jimmay@shoebox:~ # smartctl -l scterc /dev/da2
smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

SCT Error Recovery Control:
Read: 70 (7.0 seconds)
Write: 70 (7.0 seconds)​

Anything else that still needs answering about these drives? Or is all this old news? I know I'm late to the party...
Lol, my drives are in the middle of a bad blocks test.

Does anyone know if you can use WDIDLE3 utility to disable the 8 second delay to park setting on these drives?

Back