WD 2TB drive almost to market

Hypernova

[H]ard|Gawd
But in Czech Republic first of all places?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10940&Itemid=38

http://www.czechcomputer.cz/disc_doc-PFBCDFBA96DA2DAB1C125750D00767EB6.html?ansid=50

Manufacturer: Western Digital
Published: 2.12.2008

Code: 61626
Part number: WD20EADS
Guarantee period: 5 years
Where to claim: Czech Computer
In stock (Praha hlavní): 0
(warehouse selected by delivery method)
In stock (Příbram hlavní): 0
Delivery date: unknown

*looks at her miserably small 750 GB HDD*

*cries*

So when are 2.5 TB HDDs supposed to be out? I'd like to have 5 TB with just 2 HDDs :D

*looks at her miserably small 750 GB HDD*

*cries*

So when are 2.5 TB HDDs supposed to be out? I'd like to have 5 TB with just 2 HDDs :D

I don't even have a 750 GB drive, were too expensive compared to the 500 GB drives at the time. :( :)

2.5 TB drives might be out in Q3 or Q4 2009 if a 2TB drive shows up soonish.

I can't wait.

Well, maybe I can, gives me time to save up in the computer play funds :D

I can't wait.

I couldn't wait!! Just dropped $400 on an additional three 1.5TB drives for my little EX470. Thanks Newegg and their 15% cashback deal!

I may have a very long way to go Ockie, but I plan on catching up to you! :D Any suggestions? :)

First I have to make sure these drives work before storing data on them though! :D

I may have a very long way to go Ockie, but I plan on catching up to you! :D Any suggestions? :)

Start applying for credit cards :D
Because I will not go down without a fight! :D

Start applying for credit cards :D
Because I will not go down without a fight! :D

Oh I have credit cards.....but no room left on them! :(

Who could get credit right now anyways? Such a shame to see the way we are going!

I figure when 2TB drives come out, I will get a nice little 4 or 8 bay rack to hook into my little EX470! Assuming I still have that and it is doing everything I want. So far, it is making me happy.

Fortunately my company will be storing piles of data next year so I may get to splurge cash on a new redundant fileserver setup. Can't wait :D

OMG, I don't know if I can take anymore. I already have too much storage for
what I have as it it!

wonder what the failure rate on them will be, how are the seagate 1.5drives doing for failure rate?

Think you can hit 100tb anytime soon? :p

Not by tomorrow, but with the introduction of the 2tb I am eyeing some new things now. Though my goals are a bit spread currently between storage and audio/video wants. So I might be able to catch up if I pass over the audio/video gear, not going to happen. ;)

There was an article not too long ago where a hdd manufacturer(can't remeber which one) said they would have 5TB out by 2010.

The funny thing is that my old 3ware 9500S actually supports these drives, with a max limit per drive at 2TB.

I have a 3Ware 9500S also and the card will do a 2TB carve per drive letter. We have no idea if it will accept the new 2TB drive coming out. 3Ware is pretty good at updating their raid cards to accept new drives though.

My main concern is what the platter density is and how many platters it will have. The more platters, the more heat and I have never had very good luck over the years with 5 platter drives consistently lasting a very long time. It does look like this will be marketed as a Black series drive and will be wondering when and if a Green version will be forthcoming also.

I can't wait. I want to build a storage server and this will drop prices of 1TB and 1.5TB drives.

It is amazing on technologies being able to read smaller and smaller things and write smaller and smaller things. I think when there are 5TB hard drive, the ssd will be a good 1 TB

It is amazing on technologies being able to read smaller and smaller things and write smaller and smaller things. I think when there are 5TB hard drive, the ssd will be a good 1 TB

And it'll still be 100 times more expensive per GB ;)

*fondly remembers her first 40 MB HDD*

My main concern is what the platter density is and how many platters it will have. The more platters, the more heat and I have never had very good luck over the years with 5 platter drives consistently lasting a very long time. It does look like this will be marketed as a Black series drive and will be wondering when and if a Green version will be forthcoming also.
That's indeed the big question. So far it has been mostly Hitachi who has used the 5 platter design, others don't go beyond 4 platters. I'd be quite willing to forego big increases in capacity if it means that my drives will last longer :)

And it'll still be 100 times more expensive per GB ;)

*fondly remembers her first 40 MB HDD*

That's indeed the big question. So far it has been mostly Hitachi who has used the 5 platter design, others don't go beyond 4 platters. I'd be quite willing to forego big increases in capacity if it means that my drives will last longer :)

I'm using the actual disk from one as a coaster right this instant.:p

The quote by the OP indicates a part number of WD20EADS. THat would follow WD's part numbering system for the Green drives. Currently they have the WD10EADS - Green Intellipower drive with 32MB cache. I'm wont believe it though tell I see an official announcement. That WD20EADS could just be somebody's logical assumption. It also says "Published: 2.12.2008". I'm thinking this is just a pipe dream ATM.

The quote by the OP indicates a part number of WD20EADS. THat would follow WD's part numbering system for the Green drives. Currently they have the WD10EADS - Green Intellipower drive with 32MB cache. I'm wont believe it though tell I see an official announcement. That WD20EADS could just be somebody's logical assumption. It also says "Published: 2.12.2008". I'm thinking this is just a pipe dream ATM.

FYI most countries use the format DD/MM/YYYY for dates.

Also +1 on the FUD

There is nothing remotely official yet about this drive.

Everything I can find is on a forum from some pc site.

Silent PC Review has the most believable thread I've seen yet. They've got some links to some supposed WDC documents that seem real enough but could easily be fakes. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Can't say I'm not a little eager though.

Wonder if these are going to be failing like the 1.5 TB's? Haven't even got that right and now we have 2 TB? Personally I think I'll hold off till these are more reliable, as anyone who has had hard drives fail knows it's no fun during that moment when you realize all your data is gone and there's nothing you can do but hope you backed up the important stuff somewhere.

Well, the 1.5TB were Seagate and if rumors are true these will be produced by Western Digital. I do not care either way for what company makes a hard drive, as long as it is reliable. The 1.5TB fiasco has turned me off from those drives, but I think I would be more than willing to jump on a new 2TB drive or even a new 1.5TB drive with only three platters.

There'll always be a bleeding edge :)

I just buy HDDs which are around 99 Euro, which places me right at the cheapest point per GB, as well as behind the bleeding edge. Has worked fine for me so far.

Back