WD 2TB drive almost to market

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
He doesn't have any. I know a guy that did this with Wii's.
$550, but hey, at least he is offering free shipping. ;)

Yeah, I figured this much. Especially because he is the only person selling them on eBay. Trying to cash in on a new product by charging a $250 premium...what a lousy way to make money.

well I feel a little better about stock up on the $80 1TB drives now heh, but I thinkt he price will drop soon, its also limit 1 per customer right now so the people who really need them for arrays may as well hold off.

i just ordered my 1 drive. got the combo deal so at least there will be something else to pad the drive as it gets drop-kick-shipped here.

being able to save drive images from all 3 of my rigs on one drive is....nice....

Glad to see them officially in stock, probably going to wait until they drop to 250USD, maybe a few other sites will have some competitive prices soon.

Glad to see them officially in stock, probably going to wait until they drop to 250USD, maybe a few other sites will have some competitive prices soon.

If you recall when the 1.5tb came out it was also listed at 299 and then almost immediately dropped to ~190

They're officially in stock and that's good news. Now we just wait for the price to fall to a reasonable $200-220.

If you recall when the 1.5tb came out it was also listed at 299 and then almost immediately dropped to ~190

Well I was not looking at 1.5TB when they launched, so I was unaware, but that sounds like good news if that does happen. Might not drop that low, but closer to 200USD is better. :D

Hmmm interesting notion on WD hotswap issues.
I have 8xWD1000FYPS drives hooked to IcyDock 5in3 Drive cages.
Haven't noticed this issue on those backplanes, but now I will not ever try and do hotswap.
I have NO desire to experience that and powering down my home server is not really and issue at all.
Better be save than over confident in ANY technology these days...
:)

Yeah, it shouldn't be an issue if you cold-swap new drives in.
My concern is if a power connector goes flaky, which causes a drive to act
as if it was removed and inserted, and then causes the whole backplane to reset,
essentially killing your raid. You could, of course, try to rescue the raid by forcing
it back online, depending on how robust your RAID stack is, but that's always an iffy
operation and doesn't work all the time.

Also, this might be related to the particular power supply I was using, but I tested it with some fairly commonly used and highly regarded PSUs, namely the 750W Pc Power and Cooling Silencer and the 850W Antec Signature.

I ordered the new Norco 3116 case from mwave - assuming I get a willcall notification from them soon, I should be able to test against that case too. It seems improved versus the 4020 - while you do lose 4 bays, it looks like the trays are much more robust, and the backplanes are situated horizontally, allowing much more airflow to the drives. Plus you save some space as it's only 3U versus the 4U of the 4020.

Whoa! That Norco 3116 looks pretty sexy! I've been looking for a relatively cheap 3U/16 Bay rackmount for a potential setup...this one looks like it could be it.

Let us know how it goes...the only bummer is that it costs slightly more than the 4020 with four less bays as well. :(

They are back in stock, still $300, but the limit per customer is 10 this time. Anybody going to spend $3k on these?

Back