WD 2TB drive almost to market

I just bought a 3x1TB drives from Seagate then realized they are problematic so I opted for 2xTB drives from Western Digital Black. More money to be spent I guess. I waited a long time to upgrade to TB drives. My main computer at home only has a 74GB Raptor and a 300GB Maxtor hard drive haha. I've been deleting things off the Maxtor for a long time now.

So, where is this drive? :confused:

Seems like a lot of websites might've jumped the gun by claiming it was going to come out "this week"...two weeks ago.

I remember saying earlier in this thread that it was all fud:rolleyes:

Remember that the Samsung HD102UJ (1TB) was 6-8 month's to arrive in stores after the announcement.
Yeah, i remember that modelnumber by heart because i typed it on every online store several times a week for the whole period. Hope it will not be the same story with the 2TB's.

Just bought another 1Tb last week, and I'll likely buy at least 1 more before I switch over to the 2TB drives. Much data to store.

So would prices under $200 for a 2TB drive be too unreasonable at launch? Estimates range to around $225 for the drive at launch, which probably is going to be the case.

If the pricing is at the same price-per-GB ratio as the ST31500341AS, that'll be very nice. :D

So would prices under $200 for a 2TB drive be too unreasonable at launch? Estimates range to around $225 for the drive at launch, which probably is going to be the case.

If the pricing is at the same price-per-GB ratio as the ST31500341AS, that'll be very nice. :D

I could, and would love to, see them bring the price out at sub 200USD. I think it would be a great move against the Seagate issue, and just launching a new product at a nice sweet price.

Can we let this thread die.

Every time for the last 2 weeks when I get on [H] and check the Data Storage Forum, I see " WD 2tb Almost to Market"

Man what a tease.

I highly doubt the drive will come out this month, seems like Western Digital's either working for a hard-launch when they announce or are working out the kinks in the drive's design or firmware, at least moreso than what Seagate has done so far.

Overclockers UK are taking preorders for the WD20EADS. Still no official word from WD but I think we can expect them sometime this year (hopefully).

Overclockers UK are taking preorders for the WD20EADS. Still no official word from WD but I think we can expect them sometime this year (hopefully).

This year? I would hope so, there are 11 months left ;)

I highly doubt the drive will come out this month, seems like Western Digital's either working for a hard-launch when they announce or are working out the kinks in the drive's design or firmware, at least moreso than what Seagate has done so far.

Considering the four business days left this month you're probably correct. Western Digital also doesn't like to do anything other than hard launches, at least with availability to OEM partners on day one.

I was waiting for these for like 5 months but I finaly caved in and went with 1TB Samsungs. Take that WD for getting my hopes up and then smashing them to pieces! :p

$377! :eek:

Hopefully it'll follow the pricing of the ST31500341AS, which MSRP'd for around $299 at launch, and quickly fall like a rock after that.

For that price, I'd rather wait a few weeks/months. ;)

That's $377 AUD, not USD. It is ~$250 USD. Australia gets shafted for computer hardware prices, so it will most likely be $200 at launch.

See I told you what a F***in Tease

QUOTE/ I bet we see these by the end of the year QUOTE

Are you shittin me Clark by the end of the year come on.

They are here for real pretty soon, here in New Zealand the local Ingram Micro is getting 20 of them ETA Feb 4.

Description
Int WD 2TB 32MB Int SATA2 Caviar Green
THIS PRODUCT IS NON-RETURNABLE
Stock On Hand Committed Available
0 (Auckland) 0 (Auckland) 0 (Auckland)
Being Receipted In Transit On Order First Available*
0 (Auckland) 0 (Auckland) 20 (Auckland) 04 FEB 2009 (Auckland)
WESTERN DIGITAL Code UPC
WD20EADS
Product Information
PI DATE : Jan 2009
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION : WD Caviar Green drive
FORM FACTOR : Internal Hard Drive
CAPACITY : 2 TB
INTERFACE : SATA 3 Gb/s
CACHE : 32 Mb
TRANSFER RATES : 3 Gb/s Buffer To Host (Serial ATA)

Local retail listing them:
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=8241493

$300?!

you kidding me?!

MSRP - Let's see what price they actually hit stores at and how fast that price comes down.

Knowing how businesses in general like to generate as much profit as possible they probably will come out at the MSRP ($299) for the first few weeks just to test the waters. I really hope they are closer to the $200 range, but I seriously doubt they will be. :( Here's to hoping!

I would expect them to be 2.25x the price of a WD10EADS. Double the space, and a 25% premium for density.

Amazon appears to have the cheapest WD10EADS with free shipping at $107, so I would expect around $240.75.

I expect 199 to 249... but I believe it will be much closer to 199 within a matter of weeks if not at launch.

yep. too expensive though. for the time being. next server if i fill out my 7 bay server with 1 TB each. :)

I think people expecting a linear cost differential between 1TB and 2TB drives should consider the price premium being asked as fairly minor when you consider the other benefits of halving the number of bays required - less hardware infrastructure required (less ports on your RAID card, less hotswap bays needed), less total power consumption, etc. I think even at the current ~$250 pricing it's a decent deal, provided there's availability.

My main problem seems to be that I can't hotswap WD drives without them causing problems with each other - upon hotswap insertion of a WD greendrive it causes any other WD drives in the same backplane to "reset", which would cause a drive removal/insertion on a raid card and kill the raid. Maybe it's a problem with their 1TB drives - in any case I'll probably pick up at least 2 or 3 of them to evaluate them for RAID purposes. Maybe they'll play more nicely with my Adaptec card than the 1.5TB seagates did.

I think people expecting a linear cost differential between 1TB and 2TB drives should consider the price premium being asked as fairly minor when you consider the other benefits of halving the number of bays required - less hardware infrastructure required (less ports on your RAID card, less hotswap bays needed), less total power consumption, etc. I think even at the current ~$250 pricing it's a decent deal, provided there's availability.

My main problem seems to be that I can't hotswap WD drives without them causing problems with each other - upon hotswap insertion of a WD greendrive it causes any other WD drives in the same backplane to "reset", which would cause a drive removal/insertion on a raid card and kill the raid. Maybe it's a problem with their 1TB drives - in any case I'll probably pick up at least 2 or 3 of them to evaluate them for RAID purposes. Maybe they'll play more nicely with my Adaptec card than the 1.5TB seagates did.

Depending on your configurations, this could be a HUGE QFT.

In the past, I have worked on $120 cost of overhead per drive, this is the port cost, hot swap cost, cost of a more expensive case for drive capacity, increased psu size, increased power draw, etc.

Now when you factor two 1tb drives for say 100 bucks (200 dollars) and the cost of an extra drive usage, that puts a 2tb in the cost savings zone by far (200+120=320). And if these drives are 199, that would make them a bargain in my senario.

Back