Water system: Project: Silver Ocean

now if you took frosted white acrylic and put some orange leds behind them to light them up orange would be sick. but i have to agree with the others that the orange does look good. but as for the orange led thing, its always nice to get the oooooo or ahhhh effect when things light up.

A.D.FIFTY said:
now if you took frosted white acrylic and put some orange leds behind them to light them up orange would be sick. but i have to agree with the others that the orange does look good. but as for the orange led thing, its always nice to get the oooooo or ahhhh effect when things light up.

im with this guy! so uh... QFT

I should have asked this before, but where did you get the fans / filters from? Those would work well in my next mod :D

I got the fan filters here:
http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Fan Accessories/se=Anodized Filters/mp=menu_search.html

its always nice to get the oooooo or ahhhh effect when things light up.
I would love to put led's in the side panels but the big problem is, how will i be able to remove the side of the case when it has a bunch of wires attached to it, dont really want a bunch of long wires that attach it to the case when its removed from the case. :confused:

today i will be cutting out all the pieces, and test painting them, i'll try differn't things and see what everyone thinks. The top of the case has been designed now.

top-panels-painted.jpg

yea and i can vouch for these fans. i used to have one on my xp-90 and it cooled great. not hte best for radiators what with their low speed and CFM, but they are GREAT case fans. basically the fan i would take off my fan controller if i had to. good stuff for a clear bladed fan.

I would love to put led's in the side panels but the big problem is, how will i be able to remove the side of the case when it has a bunch of wires attached to it, dont really want a bunch of long wires that attach it to the case when its removed from the case. :confused:

here is a quick idea for some leds if you decide to go that route.

wire all the leds and run the wires along the back of the side panel all to one spot. then splice all the positive together and the same with the negative. then wire them to some kind of quick disconnect thing and have it go from there to a rocker switch or something. kinda hard to relay what im thinking in words but it might work. just a though.

either way you go dude. its gonna look amazing. thumbs up.

Thanks for the good ideas and compliments.
FIFTY, i understand what your sayin, i may just do that.

Once the shapes were decided on, i made them in Illustrator, They were drawn to scale so i could just print them out and use them as templates.

the-plate-templates.jpg

printed to scale on 13x19 inch photo paper. The shapes are labled so i woudln't screw something up heheh.

printingshapes.jpg

They fit perfectly, YAY

panelplacementtop.jpg

That piece in the center will be cut out.

panelplacementtop2.jpg

Everything fit fine on the side panel

sidepanelplacement.jpg

Time to take the operation down to workshop dungeon, check out that nice huge piece of plexi just waiting to be cut up.

plexisheet.jpg

Ok, i bought a brand new $55 scroll saw from Lowes the other day. This is the first one i've ever owned and pretty much the first one i've ever used. So i wanted to try it out on something other than my case panels just to see what it could do, and to practice up. Turns out its pretty fun and easy to use.

My practice piece is going to be a palm tree.

palmtreetrace.jpg

palmtreecutting.jpg

Couple rough spots but it came out looking great. I'll use this to test out some airbrushing ideas later.

palmtreecutout.jpg

I'm just going to tape the shapes onto the plexi and cut around it.

cuttingshapes.jpg

The rest of the cutouts will have to wait till tomorrow.
Oh Christmas treeeee Oh Christmas treeee..., thanks for sacrificing a couple limbs for my project.

fiberoptics.jpg

A.D.FIFTY said:
here is a quick idea for some leds if you decide to go that route.

wire all the leds and run the wires along the back of the side panel all to one spot. then splice all the positive together and the same with the negative. then wire them to some kind of quick disconnect thing and have it go from there to a rocker switch or something. kinda hard to relay what im thinking in words but it might work. just a though.

either way you go dude. its gonna look amazing. thumbs up.

depending on how the panel comes off (does it slide back all the way or not?) you could just affix the quick disconnect terminal so that it automatically disengages when you open the chassis. just make sure that the ground terminal will engage before the +5v will and will disengage last.

How bout some construction pics, lots of them.

All the plexi panels have been cut and test fitted now. I had to get all the water cooling stuff out of the case, there be some cutting to do.

pannelsontop.jpg

pannelsontop2.jpg

The hole has been marked and its ready to be cut

pannelsontop3.jpg

pannelsonside.jpg

The patient is ready for the operation

readyforsurgery.jpg

That aluminum is thick. I used my carbide cutting bit on my dremmel and it chewed its way through, jumping and kicking the whole way.

topcut1.jpg

dont mess up dont mess up...

topcut2.jpg

Its done, It was a clean cut. I spent quite a bit of time sanding grinding down the edges to get them just right. Looks like crap right there but it cleaned up pretty well. There wern't any big scratches on the top of the case(very tiny ones). Stupid me forgot to put tape down first, plus i like to wear a blindfold keep one hand behind my back for an added challenge.

topholecutout.jpg

I made one stinkin gash, the zip saw jumped out of the hole and poked a deep cut next to the aluminum.

niceviewofhole.jpg

Next up all the holes had to be drilled. I finally get to use this dremmel drill press. It works great. After all the holes were drilled i counter sunk each hole so the screw wouldn't be sticking up above the plexi.

dremmeldrill.jpg

countersunk.jpg

countersunk2.jpg

countersunk3.jpg

Back on the case to mark the mounting holes

topdrillholes.jpg

Look at all the freaking holes i put in this thing, might as well have shot it with a shotgun

topholesdone.jpg

topholecutout2.jpg

screwsinstalled.jpg

toppannelsinstalled.jpg

Alright! they fit and look nice too.

toppannelsinstalled2.jpg

Putting holes in the side panel was kind of tricky becuase they are close to the edge. Some areas are blocked by the case so i couldn't just drill holes anywhere.

sidewithholes1.jpg

A hint of orange paint, been trying to find the right paint and color to use.

sidewithholes2.jpg

The pieces were all painstakingly hand sanded smooth. Then brought upstairs to be cooked and eaten.

sandedpannels.jpg

onstove.jpg

Ah yes, i love the taste of plexi in the morning.

blueburner.jpg

Ok, i didn't actually cook the plexi. Just heated up the edges to get rid of some of that frosted look. It helped a little, some more than others, don't want to get it too hot or it starts bubbling.

cooked.jpg

All the panels were then once again "painstakingly" taped up heheh (took forever)

tapeduppannels.jpg

Now they are good to go, ready for the painting process.

readyformask.jpg

some parts got the mask treatment. This stuff has to go on in coats and be pretty thick or it's impossible to get off. I may finally get some painting done tommorow.

maskingpaint.jpg

Looking great man.. so are you gonna paint those pieces like in the sketch.. srry if you already said that somewhere... :rolleyes:

Blue and orange... Go Broncos? :p
heheh funny.

Looking great man.. so are you gonna paint those pieces like in the sketch..

I have decided to paint it just like in the sketch. Wanted to start that today but it's something that i have to do all at once to make sure i dont have to remix paint and get 2 differn't shades somewhere. I gotta go to walmart and pick up more paint before i start. So i'll have to save this step for later. Have to leave the case empty till the painting gets done so i cant really do much today. But i do have a few photos to put up.

Worm clamps all shiny and ugly, for some reason these things remind me of braces, yuck.

shinywormclamps.jpg

Primed and ready

primedwormclamps.jpg

Blue or Orange?

bluewormclamps.jpg

Wait why did you paint it. The clamp works like a screw mean that the paint will cheap off in areas were the screw touched. Well just a thoought. Hopfuly you are using some super hard paint.

Wait why did you paint it. The clamp works like a screw mean that the paint will cheap off in areas were the screw touched. Well just a thoought. Hopfuly you are using some super hard paint.

Actually i'm just hoping for the best. If it chips i'll just fix it up with a brush i guess.

I say blue, because you can keep the orange to the outside, so it contrasts the blue on the inside more i'd say.

TehRoflcopter said:
I say blue, because you can keep the orange to the outside, so it contrasts the blue on the inside more i'd say.
I would say orange, since the fuild you are using is going to be blue iirc. Orange clamps would be a nice contrast to those.

You have GOT to tape up your drilling - that's where you're going wrong.

Get some masking tape (the paper kind you'd use for masking off in paint spraying something). Cover the area you're going to drill. Drill. The drill bit will be much less likely to slip. Also use a speed-controlable drill if available. If it slips, you'll do much less damage at low speed. Increase speed after the initial part of the hole is done.

Another bonus with paper masking tape is you can draw on it without needing to go back to solvents to remove marker pen ink.

But looking great all the same.

mechatech said:
Actually i'm just hoping for the best. If it chips i'll just fix it up with a brush i guess.

I would put a couple layers of clearcoat on. This might help with the wear and tear.

I'm using a Canon PowerShot S400 digital elph 4.0mp. I rarely use a flash. Just prop the camera up on anything nearby to steady it. I always use the manual mode and set it for the lighting conditions.

And good news, i got the paint today.

I actually had the orange paint mixed and ready to go, but i walked away without putting the lid on it. While i was away my wife accidently knocked the bottle over. Bye Bye paint. Back to walmart for more :(

In the mean time, the worm clamps are done. They have 3 coats of reflective clear coat on them. They seem to be pretty scratch ressitant, i'm not going to test that untill its time to put them on the hoses.

paintedwormclamp1.jpg

paintedwormclamp2.jpg

dude they look pretty tight
thanks,nice pun btw :)

The painting is done finally.
First off my airbrush is garbage. It clogs constantly, doens't give an even flow, spits large chunks of paint out and on and on. So i'm glad this parts over with.
I'll just let the pictures do the talking...

panelsmarked.jpg

holemask.jpg

mypaint.jpg

holedropshadow.jpg

thehole.jpg

unmasked.jpg

yellowglarepainted.jpg

yellowglare.jpg

orangepainted.jpg

yellowhighlight.jpg

blackshadow.jpg

barecase.jpg

paintedcase.jpg

Small update, put the final white backing on the pieces. I havn't actually turned them over to see how they look yet. The front of the case turned out very well.

whitepaint.jpg

So whats left to do?
  • Install blue cloth for fiber optic display
  • Install Lighting system for fiber optics
  • Apply water slide decals
  • reinstall water cooling equipment
  • leak test

And now comes the part where i do the fiber optics.
I've been looking forward to this part. First off, i had to have a nice blue cloth.
The biggest problem here is how to mount the cloth under the hole, can't really tape it or put screws in it. I came up with running some wire through each side of the cloth. This also helps to keep tension on it.

I took the case completly appart and cleaned out all the tiny metal pieces that collected in all the cracks.
strippingcase.jpg

strippingcase2.jpg

the cloth has a shiny side and a dull side, i decided to go with the shiny side

bluecloth.jpg

that should do it

cuttofit.jpg

I left the sewing up to my wife

sewnup.jpg

clothbracket.jpg

Funny, i tried mounting the wire with solder, that didn't work at all, so i just put a screw in it. The only reason the screw stayed in was becuase of the solder, so i had to do the same on the other side.

clothbracket2.jpg

hangingcloth.jpg

hungcloth.jpg

There it is. Looks as good as i hoped it would.

finishedopticcloth.jpg

finishedopticcloth2.jpg

Sweet love the last pic. The res sitting like that and all spells out modding over here to me.. :)

Back