Water system: Project: Silver Ocean

n00btard said:
as for the water cooling thing, I heard that the RBX blocks needs a really powerful pump to oive up to its potential. Is your pump up to the task? Oh, and I heard that the pump's supposed to sit at the lowest part of the loop, but I don't know why. Maybe someone can support/disprove what I said.

I hanv't heard of that, but the pump i'm using is rated at 317 GPH (1200 LPH). There isn't too many pumps that will do a better job.

As far as having the pump being at the lowest part, Yea, that would be nice :)
A perfect setup would have the reservoir above everything and the pump below everything. That way when you fill up the water it just completly fills up everything leaving no air in the system. Having the pump and radiator above the filling spot only makes it hard to fill up, it still works just as good as any other setup once it is full.

Here's how i filled mine up. I just filled up the reservoir to the very top with the pump off. Then turned the pump on, after like 5 seconds the pump sucked all the water out of the reservoir, i shut the pump off and filled the reservoir again. Then just repeated that untill it was almost full. I still had lots of air in the lines so i just picked up the entire computer and rotated it untill all the air went into the reservoir (with the pump off). I ended up with small air bubbles throughout the entire system. The only way to remove those bubbles and the microscopic air bubbles that just make the water look light in color was just to leave the pump running for 24 hours, after that time the water was completly bubble free.

Finally, project Silver Ocean is complete.
I'll take some final pics and have those up soon.

Sweet man, looking foreward to it.

Plus, I love your color scheme there, Orange + Blue = the sex.

stelleg151 said:
Sweet man, looking foreward to it.

Plus, I love your color scheme there, Orange + Blue = the sex.

Ummm...yeah what he said! :D No seriously, this is a one of a kind mod. Me likes.

When you get it up and running I am curious to see how much you like the Cooler Master thermal conductivity fluid. While I couldn't find any user experiences with the product it seems like a good idea. ::Thumbs Up:: I would imagine that temps should be within 1-2c of water.

I took some nice shots of it tonight, They will be up tomorrow night.

--------------------------
So where i left off.
I was waiting for my replacement videocard, turns out newegg was out of stock, so they just refunded the money. I took advantage of that and made an upgrade :)
I now have a radeon X1900 XT 512mb ram and a WinTV-PVR-150 tv tuner and mpeg encoder card.

WOW is this computer fast. I am very happy with it. I've not done any overclocking yet.
I'll try to get some accurate benchmarks, temp readings in a few days.

Got a bit busy, forgot about these pics.
The new video card went directly into the case. Didn't want any chance of damage.

sealedcard.jpg

videocard.jpg

videocard2.jpg

videocard3.jpg

ah sweet, i havnt soldered any wires or resistors, leds, etc. in a while, looking at this makes me want to start a new mod...good work im really liking this :)

I noticed that in your installation of the RBX you didnt use any of the springs... Why not? does it allow a better connection of block and cpu?

-Cameron

TrueChaos said:
I noticed that in your installation of the RBX you didnt use any of the springs... Why not? does it allow a better connection of block and cpu?

The springs compress to give a downward pressure which should result in better waterblock contact :cool: It looks to me like he is using them but they've compressed so it doesn't look like a spring anymore lol.

Get a waterblock on that card already. Looking great all the same ;)

It looks like the metal spacer that you use... not the spring :p ive got the TDX which uses the same style install, and im about 90% sure there are no springs on that block :p

silverocean_ad.jpg

TrueChaos said:
It looks like the metal spacer that you use... not the spring :p ive got the TDX which uses the same style install, and im about 90% sure there are no springs on that block :p

and the verdict is: Springs.
those are the springs compressed all the way down actually. The block was loose untill it was tightened all the way down. I'm still having loads of fun using the computer.

I always check out ads for computers in maximumPC and stuff. It's fun to compare the specs and think how much cheaper i could build one for. So I just HAD to do it. I made an ad for the computer i've always wanted to have. You won't see these prices in a magazine ad, at least not within the next 6 months ;)

After all of that you are selling it?! Or is it just a for funtype ad? I MUST SAY THOUGH... VERY VERY NICE!

NOOOO :) no way am i selling it
that ad is only for entertainment purposes only. I'm a graphic designer, just thought it would be fun to see what a full page ad would look like for a customized water cooled opteron system. Now thats a computer that i would actually buy from a magazine ad :)
More pics to come as well as some benchmarks.

Dude, I could see this on the cover of a couple mags! CPU and MaximumPC both have reader mod features every month--you should send them the pics...

willie92 said:
Dude, I could see this on the cover of a couple mags! CPU and MaximumPC both have reader mod features every month--you should send them the pics...

dude, i could also see this as a sweet wallpaper!

Here's the rest of the pics,

displaylit.jpg

frontdoor.jpg

lightback.jpg

lightbackcorner.jpg

lightiopanel.jpg

lightradiator.jpg

lighttop.jpg

lightdisplay.jpg

lightdarkside.jpg

lightdooropen.jpg

topcorner.jpg

brightwindow.jpg

darklitinside.jpg

darkblueinside1.jpg

darkquarterview.jpg

darkreservoir.jpg

darkwindow.jpg

darktubes3.jpg

darktubes2.jpg

darktubes.jpg

darktopfront.jpg

darktop.jpg

darkstraightdowntop.jpg

darkpump.jpg

darkdisplay.jpg

1 of the led's seems to have a loose connection, i had the problem even before i put it in the case, it is currently working fine, but it was off in the pictures.
The mod came out pretty much just like i planned, it looks even better than i thought it would. Those are the Last round of pics, hope you enjoyed my worklog, thanks for all the helpful and nice comments along the way, it was greatly appreciated.

Now i just need to overclock this baby ;)

One of the things that impresses me the most about the project is just how quickly you put it together. In the grand scheme of things that was quick!

Or maybe I just mod slow... ;)

TheOneGreatX said:
Amazing amazing job!
how heavy is the case?

It's a CoolerMaster case, so if it's anything like my WaveMaster (and they do share some structural similarities) it's solid! So I'm betting it's pretty hefty! I don't think he'll be lugging it around to many lan parties...

Looks great man. You could sell those if you really wanted I'm sure. Very professional job. But it's very time consuming I'm sure.

One of the things that impresses me the most about the project is just how quickly you put it together. In the grand scheme of things that was quick
I had to get it off the living room table before my wife killed me.

Amazing amazing job!
how heavy is the case?
Thanks, i havn't actually weighed the case but it is very heavy, it would be a struggle to lug it anywhere.

Looks great man. You could sell those if you really wanted I'm sure. Very professional job. But it's very time consuming I'm sure.
I think this will be the first and last one. I'll make something completly differnent for the next computer upgrade in a few years.

Here are a few fun stats that i found interesting:

Number of images in this worklog: 320
Total size of images: 24MB
Total bandwidth transfer: 31.22GB
Total Unique IP's: 6,781

i think it blows ....... very softly in all the right places... ;)

much props

mal

Super fantastic. I love the raised plexi pieces for the 3d look, I love the cloth for a new style mod, the colour scheme is out there but it all totally meshes with the assymetrical nature of the front door, the decals are a sweet touch and painting the keyboard and mouse takes guts.

My hat is off to you sir! sweet in every way.

0810 said:
now that is a celebrity without make up..

Nice case dude!
hahahahaha :p

Well well, making the front page really boosted the page view counter Wow!
Thanks for the nice comments :) I've been slowy increasing the clock speed becuase i'm quickly working on the website that is written on the front of the case, so i havn't had much time to run loops of memtest and prime95. But i have been able to easily overclock it to:

2478mhz
HTT 275
voltage:1.408
mem voltage:2.80
load temp: 44c

Back