Water system: Project: Silver Ocean

mechatech said:
So what does that mean exactly, i wont be able to bleed out all the air in this configuration?

Once you bleed out all of the air it will be fine, bleeding out the air may be a bit harder in the current config though. You can always turn the case onto it's side when you do the initial filling/bleeding.

Once you bleed out all of the air it will be fine, bleeding out the air may be a bit harder in the current config though. You can always turn the case onto it's side when you do the initial filling/bleeding.

Thanks, i would really hate to have to move the pump down and lose a hard drive spot. The pump isn't that much highter than the reservoir so i think i can handle bleeding it out by lifting the other tubes up higher once reservoir is filled. That should give it enough pressure to push the water easily into the pump. Then i'll just have to be pouring the fluid in while its running.

The only time your current setup will be rough is during the initial fill/bleed.
Your pump will not "pull" water up to the inlet, it is not self-priming.
The case will have to be tilted or something to flow coolant into the pump till the loop is full enough for the pump to begin circulating without the aid of gravity.

I would hate having that rad on top of my computer, but its not mine so do as you wish :D. I would also move the pump below the res, how many HDD's do you want in there? You could always use the 5.25 to 3.5 bay adapters. Just my .02.

I love howq you got that pump mounted in there like that, pretty slick. I think erasmus has got the right idea with putting the case on it side or at an angle during the initial fill\bleed process. keep it up.

and so i agree. i'd rather place the rad on the back of the case, and repair the top ;)

just to say, I LOVE rads on top. But that might be because I love big cases :)

Looking GOOD. Only 1/2" system build im liking right now (off the top of my head)

On with the show....

This is the rest of the hose installation, this actually happened yesterday. I spent today shopping for much needed items ;)

installingtubes.jpg

Uuoooo Ahhhhhh

newinboxAIW.jpg

Have to get out the o'le mobo, box is sure nice looking.

mobobox.jpg

moboboxopen.jpg

mobo mounted on the tray. love the look of the board, like my friend said "you basicly paid 60 more dollars for the heat pipe" so i better like it hehe

mountedmobo.jpg

mobo in place and ready for hose attachment

moboincase.jpg

Once all the hoses were attached I just had to see what it looked like with the side panel on before anything else.

sidepanelon.jpg

No problems with the hose installation, but i did notice the fittings on the reservoir were very lose while the fittings on the pump and the plastic Y connecter were extremly tight.

hosesinplacewithmobo.jpg

hosesinplacewithmobo2.jpg

wideviewwithhoses.jpg

ziptieson.jpg

Now its time to do the PSU trick and test out that pump. With help from my brother in law we plugged in the power supply and switched it into the on position, cut a small piece of wire, stripped the ends and shoved the wire into the power connector...... just kidding heheh.

We totally made sure the power was NOT connected while doing this.
Flipped the switch and on came the PSU and pump. WOW that pump is silent and smooth.

psutrick.jpg

backviewwithhoses.jpg

So now it seemed all that was left was to fill the thing up. My funnel can finally be used, the end was just a tad to big to fit into the reservoir so we had to melt it, I let him burn his fingers to shrink the plastic.

*note - the power supply was turned back off after pump testing was done.

burntfunnel.jpg

It now fits into the reservoir. Time to chug it down. Blup blup blup...

drinkup.jpg

Oh look its awesome, check out that blue, OHH NOO its leaking!

itsleaking.jpg

Crap, i knew that fitting was too lose.

itsleaking2.jpg

itsleaking3.jpg

So i don't think the zip ties are going to cut it.

We found 2 tiny hose clamps and made it into 1 clamp that was big enough to use. The leak is fixed now but that stopped production for the night. I bought some hose clamps for the rest of the system tonight.

leakstopped.jpg

looks nice, but did you run the pump with no water when you turned on the psu? Thats not a good thing to do if you let run for too long. Anyways your system looks great, and i really like the idea of how you mounted the pump.

The pump was on for about 5 or 6 seconds without water.
I drained the rest of the water out of the system for now. I'm now planning out how i want the rest of the case to look, I will be doing some airbrush work to add a nice splash of color to this project.

Worm clamps are SO ugly, hate them. But keep going...

I totally agree. I will have to do something about that. Cant have ugly anywhere near my computer. :D

mechatech said:
The pump was on for about 5 or 6 seconds without water.
I drained the rest of the water out of the system for now. I'm now planning out how i want the rest of the case to look, I will be doing some airbrush work to add a nice splash of color to this project.
ok, i was just making sure you didnt accidently screw up your pump or something

Time to add the fun stuff.

I have designed a few things to add to my case. These are just basic sketches, i will probably change a few things. But I will be using orange and these basic shapes.
The shapes will have to be cut out of thick plexiglass and airbrushed. They will be set about 1/2'' out from the case and mounted with screws and nuts.

plate-idea-denied.jpg

top-design-sketch.jpg

Worm clamp's don't look too bad when you get some metal polish/scratch remover and shine them up :). They may even match your silver ocean theme well if done correctly.

I'd recommend against the "reusable" nylon clamps. They wear out easily and look like crap since you often need to bend the heck out of them with plyers to get them off. This leaves divets all over the clamps, so forget about painting them...

If you went with 7/16'' ID tubing over your 1/2'' barbs then zip ties will do fine. Heck, you probably wouldn't NEED clamps, although I would never suggest going clampless myself. 7/16'' ID tubing has zero performance loss when compared to 1/2'' ID for loops under 14' (for the flow ranges that are of concern, anyway). It is also much more flexible and easier to route.

I used to be a 1/2'' and 5/8'' ID freak. I went to 7/16'' and never went back.

Looking nice btw, and good luck :) .

Thanks for the info, the problem seems to be the fittings on the reservoir. They are smaller compared to every other fitting i have. The tube is so lose that it just slides on and off without needing any force applied to it. pretty much falls off without some sort of clamp. Compared to the plastic Y connector which was a pain to get the hose over, it was super tight.

mechatech

Can u send me ur adress info and name to my email >> [email protected] dot com

I want to send out the moeny for the cpu duct today but cant view my pm's

Thx

To give you some idea of how i want the panels to look. This is my RC truck that i painted recently. I want the case to somewhat match the truck which is usually sitting near my computer.

rctruck1.jpg

rctruck2.jpg

nice truck, did that one using airbrush techniques??

offtopic:
running on patrol, or battery :)

Yea, i painted that using the same airbrush i'm going to use on the case panels. I used Liquid masking film to get the nice clean lines. I may try using that on the panels. It's an electric powered truck, the name of it is XXX-T MF2 1/10th scale 2wd competition truck.

sweet case so far. i dont see the orange fitting in with anything ocean. what would look sick is if you used frosted white plexi instead of orange

sweet case so far. i dont see the orange fitting in with anything ocean. what would look sick is if you used frosted white plexi instead of orange

Hey thanks for the idea, i never really thought of that. I'll have some examples up soon :)

I've settled on the design, let me know what you think.

outlined-design.jpg

I really like the orange :) but i'll have to see how they look frosted.

orange-plexi-plates.jpg

Or the frosted version

frosted-plexi-plates.jpg

orange-plexi-perspective.jpg

I think they both look pretty sweet, but if you decide on the orange maybe put some orange LED's or something in the case. Maybe a CCFL. Not sure how good that would look with the res, though.

orange definitely.

but I agree with the above poster, except that I would add some blue leds inside the case.

There will be White lights illuminating the reservoir. So it should be glowing with blueness.
There are 2 blue led fans in back and a blue led fan up front. I'm really thinking about adding fiber optics to the case, actually i already have it in the plans, hehe, so it better work.

I like the look of the white - as has been pointed out I don't know how the orange really fits in with the 'ocean' theme. You've mentioned blueness for other parts, perhaps airbrush a blue fade around the panels, fading fast to the white in the middle? That would help to make them stand out against the aluminium too.

Ok, dude, I fucking LOVE the color of Orange and Blue together. Seriously.

Blue radiator, orange side decals, blue water, and the silver just combines so nicely for me.

Back