Watch Dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk

Sorry if posted already but yeah....

The lighting and things seem to have taken a massive downgrade, a bit disappointing.

I'm not a developer so I don't know the ins and outs of all of this, but is ti really that hard to "leave" that stuff in, have it be an option in game and allow the people that CAN run it to...run it?

Seems like something that might have been scaled back for the consoles and they just cut it out of the pc too.

It's like both this game + Dark Souls 2, they have these awesome lightning and "atmospheric" effects (IE the fog and stuff in the club area) and they just remove it all for release instead of allowing it to be left in for the highest settings.

Surely once something is already in game it's much easier to just "leave it in" and have an option to turn it on/off then it is to go back and remove it all?

I think the original E3 demo resembles what "true next-gen" would look like.
Unfortunately we're not at that point yet. Maybe in another 8 years.

That's exactly my point...Steam is about 1000x better than UPlay for various reasons, not the least of which being the ones you listed.

no one claims Uplay is better then Steam...but Uplay, Origin etc get a lot of unnecessary grief over trivial things or just irrational developer hate

i7-2960XM
Dual 6990m in Crossfire
16GB of ram
Textures at medium
No AA
All other settings at high/medium
15 fucking frames per second

Fuck you, Ubisoft.

no one claims Uplay is better then Steam...but Uplay, Origin etc get a lot of unnecessary grief over trivial things or just irrational developer hate

People have certainly claimed that Steam is no better than UPlay in terms of DRM, downtime, etc. I think this example (among many) clearly shows that is not the case.

People have certainly claimed that Steam is no better than UPlay in terms of DRM, downtime, etc. I think this example (among many) clearly shows that is not the case.

in terms of DRM they are basically the same...I've used Uplay for multiple games and never had any connection issues before today (Watch Dogs)...I did lose some saves with AC2 back when I used the cloud but after that no issues...I prefer Steam but Uplay is fine

I like steam, but in no way is steam perfect. Last few weeks I've seen steam go down for several hours. That is not to say that gives uplay a pass to be down for people not to play.

Not only that I like many people bought some star wars games on the May 4th weekend. There no keys available for for several days. So many people couldn't play the game they just bought on steam until 3 or 4 days after the purchase.

But in the end its nice to have uplay and origin because in the end competition is good for the consumer.

one thing that's stupid about Uplay is that you can't simply go into the settings to change your password...you need to fill out a form on the UBI site, have them send you a link and reset it that way...was quick and painless but dumb...no need for an extra hurdle when you want to do something simple

Last edited:
in terms of DRM they are basically the same...I've used Uplay for multiple games and never had any connection issues before today (Watch Dogs)...I did lose some saves with AC2 back when I used the cloud but after that no issues...I prefer Steam but Uplay is fine

I lost about 15 hours of AC4 progress because god forbid Ubisoft actually inform you in game that cloud saves happen to be disabled on specific titles. That soured me a bit on UPlay, though beyond that it's been painless.

I lost about 15 hours of AC4 progress because god forbid Ubisoft actually inform you in game that cloud saves happen to be disabled on specific titles. That soured me a bit on UPlay, though beyond that it's been painless.

I thought all Uplay titles used cloud saves?...either way I've disabled 'cloud save syncronization' in the Uplay settings for years...always disable it is my advice...just do a Google search and you'll see lots of horror stories

I thought all Uplay titles used cloud saves?...either way I've disabled 'cloud save syncronization' in the Uplay settings for years...always disable it is my advice...just do a Google search and you'll see lots of horror stories

Most games do but it appears they disabled it specifically for AC4 due to some vague issue. Of course they only made note of this in some support article and nowhere on Uplay or in the game anywhere. In fact outside of that there is every indication that cloud saves function for the game as all the pirate mini-game stuff is stored to the cloud and can be access from the iPad app even though the actual game saves aren't saved.

what does the Vsync option- 1 frame, 2 frames mean?

1 (frame) is normal vsync.. Won't allow FPS to go over your refresh rate.

2 (frames) is it will lock at twice as low.

So if you have a 60Hz monitor

1. Will lock at 60FPS and not allow to go over

2. Will lock at 30FPS and not allow to go over.

1 (frame) is normal vsync.. Won't allow FPS to go over your refresh rate.

2 (frames) is it will lock at twice as low.

So if you have a 60Hz monitor

1. Will lock at 60FPS and not allow to go over

2. Will lock at 30FPS and not allow to go over.

so if I have adaptive Vsync enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel then I should leave it at 1 (frame)?

Just tried vsync.
The floaty mouse, combined with the mouse acceleration, combined with vsync's input lag... Might as well use an xbox controller. :p

so if I have adaptive Vsync enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel then I should leave it at 1 (frame)?
Can't you force vsync through Control Panel then just ignore the in-game setting? (Leave it off).
That's what I did earlier since I didn't know what 1 frame / 2 frames were.

Can't you force vsync through Control Panel then just ignore the in-game setting? (Leave it off).
That's what I did earlier since I didn't know what 1 frame / 2 frames were.

yes thanks, you're right...I forgot that Vsync needs to be disabled in-game in order for Adaptive VSync to work properly

Turn it off in game. But I'm so so sure adaptive vsync works w/ Watch Dogs..

Edit: Actually no. Leave it at 1

Edit 2: Yeah.. I'm not noticing adaptive even working at all.

What do you expect?

Good performance. Don't give me that shit just because it's a mobile chipset. It's a high-end mobile chipset that did quite well with Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3. 15FPS is not a reasonable expectation, especially with the settings as they were.

Dual 6990m?
As in four GPU's?

Considering this game has pure awful CrossFire support, I don't know what you expected...

edit: Ah.

The HD 6990M is based on the desktop HD 6870 graphics card. The codename of the mobile core is Blackcomb XTX and it should have high power consumption (>=100W) with UVD3 video processor and Eyefinity+ support. More information on the features of the single 6990M can be found on this page.

And more:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6990m-geforce-gtx-580m-deception,3118.html

I did not play a lot but so far this game is good. Graphics are nice and fluid on my good system. Also driving is not as bad as I tough and as some people suggested. It's fun to drive as GTA almost and maybe even better with some time to get used.

I'm going to play this till the end and write a review. Nice light ubi Montreal.

Is this an issue with their cloud?

Actually, just checked the picture, this happened to me on my first save just after completing the first mission.
I assumed I didn't get far enough to save the game properly so I just restarted. Scary.

I'm using local saves. Which means Ubisoft needs to patch ASAP.

I have most of my games installed on my WD Caviar Black drive and reserve the 256GB SSD for games that need the extra power...Watch Dogs looks like it needs to go on my SSD...will be doing a reformat of my SSD tomorrow and hopefully by Thursday a patch will be released before I start my official playthrough

Is this an issue with their cloud?

Actually, just checked the picture, this happened to me on my first save just after completing the first mission.
I assumed I didn't get far enough to save the game properly so I just restarted. Scary.

I'm using local saves. Which means Ubisoft needs to patch ASAP.

It's local saves.. Doesn't matter if it's the cloud anyway.. The cloud just hosts your local saves..

I can start a new game fine, save, and reload fine.. Soon as I put my old save files back.. It freezes again.

Well, guess it's a good idea to backup saves after every play session.
This game is a fucking disaster.

The issue also exists on consoles. What a joke.

Dual 6990m?
As in four GPU's?

Considering this game has pure awful CrossFire support, I don't know what you expected...

I would expect such a hyped title to play nicely with multi-card setups in the year 2014, especially when the two game architectures it was based on played perfectly well on one of those setups.

And I'm curious as to when exactly Ubisoft announced that the game would have awful Crossfire support. I sure wish I would have seen that announcement like you did, so I wouldn't feel like such an ignorant knucklehead for making crazy expectations.

looks like the 6 month delay really helped :eek: ...I can only imagine what sort of condition the game was in back then...they probably wanted to delay it a 2nd time but couldn't do it because of the public backlash and corporate sponsorships

With AA and ambient occlusion off and at 1680*1050 and with all other settings at high I get usually 30-35 FPS outdoors. Now my CPU usage is only at 45% and my GPU usage is only at 40%. My VRAM is at 2800MB. Does it make sense that it's not even using half my hardware but is only giving me 30-35 FPS ?

At least Ubi posted in that thread.
And this will force them to release a patch maybe with a few other goodies.

So played this a bit more. Turned down AA to Temporal and kept textures at Ultra and hitching is minimal. My impressions thus far are that the game is absolutely mediocre. Everything about it is mediocre. I think paying $33 is too much for this game. My reasons are as follows:

Gameplay:
Very standard affair go there do that kind of gameplay. Hacking makes almost every encounter remote and puzzle like. Which is OK but overused. Profiling on the street is useless. Some of the mini games are OK but completely stupid and take you out of the game world. Story missions are more boring than GTA V which is saying a lot. This game reminds me of GTA 3 on so many levels it is just downright boring.

When the shooting starts, the gameplay does improve but the recoil on guns is stupid and you can't hit anything after medium distance. Enemies die so fast that all the cerebral hacking is completely pointless. You can go into a ctOS tower and just shoot your way into the place, hack and come out and nothing will happen. No police, no bad rep, nothing. Just like going through cannon fodder lol.

Gaphics:
Let's put it out there. This game is not next gen. If you thought Wolfenstein was bad in terms of graphics, this is 10X worse than that. It does not look good be it rain or night or daytime. The game just looks really bad to me. I am running everything maxed out and Temporal SMAA and nothing can save this game. The E3 demo was never truly next gen stuff but was competent. The final product is just downright ugly and is on par with Saints Row 4 or something. Hell even, XCOM Declassified looks better than this game. Everything looks better than this game.

No dynamic shadows (or partial ones), missing effects, flat grounds, poor road textures, blocky buildings, extremely poor damage model for cars or building. Just downright lazy. Sleeping Dogs looked better than this IMO. I just don't like the look of this game.

Sound:
Apart from some tracks on the radio, the sound is really weak. Everyone is trying to act like a jerk. Aiden sounds like he has a dildo stuck up his ass. Never seen such a soft spoken hero lol. Just bad all around. Missing sound effects too (like firing 2 bullets in succession and you may hear only one of them). Missing effects on impact of cars etc.

Story:
So basic it isn't even funny. Just hacking for finding killer of niece. Everything is just a runaround for one objective. Just average.

After about 2 hours I am just not enjoying this game. It is boring and thus far has no redeeming qualities. My score is 5/10. I don't even know why I am giving it a 5.

Back