Watch Dogs

I expect that Watch Dogs is a fair bit more complex, CPU-wise, than Crysis 3. It certainly has a lot more AIs to deal with in the typical case.
How complex is GTA 4, because a 4770k still won't max it out.
That game beat my Q6600 to death, if we're entering the next-gen of games and that's going to happen again, then I'm going to take my 4670k out behind the barn and put it down.

I'm not going through this shit again.
"Games aren't CPU limited anymore" they said.

I liked what I saw in that 9+ minute gameplay footage. I'm definitely interested in this one, though I'm not sure what platform I'd get it on.

That's twice now they've recommended 8 core/thread CPU's for this, previously the 3770k/FX-8500 and now the 4770k.
The statement is pretty vague though, this game isn't exactly on the level of Crysis 3 judging by the trailers but then again maybe all the Nvidia fluff will bump the requirements.

I wonder if Ubisoft is blowing smoke about the CPU requirement.

Whenever you see "6 cores" or "8 cores" for recommended specs, its usually a marketing arrangement with AMD.

EA did the same for Battlefield 4 - "recommending" 6 cores. As if >4 cores means anything for 99% of 3D engines, nevermind AMD's tend to be "half cores" anyway, requiring 2 cores to roughly equal a single intel core where pricepoints are similar.

Last edited:
Considering Watch Dogs is owned and operated by team green I seriously doubt AMD had anything to do with it.
Best case scenario, Ubisoft is trying to inflate how amazing their game is, requiring lots of CPU power to handle Watch Dogs' pure awesomeness.

This is looking more like a bad unoptimized console port, no way it should require more than Crysis 3 to look like that.

"Console port" is probably unfair. Its like the term lost its original meaning and people broad brush it now for any game available for PC that releases with console versions. It used to mean a game came out exclusively for consoles and then later a PC version was adapted from the console version.

Watch Dogs PC was developed in parallel with the console version.

There is something to be said however for consoles holding back size and scale and scope of a game for what otherwise would have been possible with focusing on PC only, but then that's not a console port. That's just consoles holding back PC. Example Gearbox and DICE admitting recently that they can't add any more animations to Borderlands2 or BF4 because they're out of memory on thee 360/PS3 versions. Or Dark Souls 2 having its lighting system overhauled on all platforms because 360/PS3 couldn't handle it.

Let's hope WatchDogs won't be hamstrung too much by the idiotboxes

Last edited:
Wii U?

Good lord. Even money grubbing EA knows better than to waste their time on any more Wii U development. I'm guessing its a case of throwing too much budget too quickly at the Wii U version before realizing the platform was a fizzle, and then figured might as well just finish and release it.

Well here's hoping glorious master race doesn't suffer for it.

It's being released on 6 platforms, don't expect anything other than an unoptimized turd.

Yup, game requires the highest specced intel cpu to run satisfactorily at highest settings but yet is developed for 9 year old console hardware? I call shenanigans. High GPU requirements make sense, but I really doubt the CPU is going to be the bottleneck at HD and UHD resolutions.

I guess wev will see. Until ubisoft makes a true next generation console engine it will be hard. The next assassins Creed should do it maybe..

Nintendo ports tend to very different animals to their next-gen siblings, usually done by outside studios in a very sloppy and gutting way. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ubisoft today released a 9-minute trailer that goes into depth about Watch Dogs' ambitious multiplayer mode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lvwjamWS1E

after starting to lose interest I'm getting excited about the potential for this game again...with the recent Nvidia PC tech trailer and now this I'm cautiously optimistic Ubisoft might have created something special

MP looks cool but I am still struggling to see how this is inherently different from GTA, other than the "hacking" mechanic which honestly doesn't seem like a huge game-changer to me.

I think it'll probably be a good game but I don't see it being ground-breaking.

We're *still* talking about this game? 2 years ago at E3 it was a 'wow' moment, now its a solid 'who cares'.

We're *still* talking about this game? 2 years ago at E3 it was a 'wow' moment, now its a solid 'who cares'.

You're alone on that one, everyone at the office is talking about it. I don't think most of us even realized it was going to actually be out already, it was under the radar for us.

Nah, he's not alone. If you read through the thread there are several people, myself included, that are not super excited for it anymore.

Seems like it should be a solid title, but nothing amazing.

I expect it won't be the best execution of what it's attempting to be. I think that's a realistic bet.

That said, it should end up being successful enough to warrant a sequel, and sequels are good opportunities to correct mistakes, Ubi willing.

it's ubisoft......................./thread

i still call them ubishit but i want this game to succeed and be fun. so it is one of the few Ubishit games i've actually bought let alone already have it pre-orderd.

the last ubishit game i paid for was rainbow six vegas 2.

Nah, he's not alone. If you read through the thread there are several people, myself included, that are not super excited for it anymore.

Seems like it should be a solid title, but nothing amazing.

I've definitely reduced my expectations now that the MP footage looks like somewhere along the way they decided to refocus it to get a piece of the GTA Online pie.

And any game that attempts to integrate tablets gimmickery into the gameplay just makes my eyes roll. See, they're rolling. :rolleyes: Because I just don't care for some turd sitting on a tablet invading my game.

I'll still buy the game - when it hits about $40 - because I'm a sucker for open world sandbox games, but the MP footage gave me the distinct impression its attempting to cater to a Target Audience of teenagers on consoles.

I've definitely reduced my expectations now that the MP footage looks like somewhere along the way they decided to refocus it to get a piece of the GTA Online pie.

And any game that attempts to integrate tablets gimmickery into the gameplay just makes my eyes roll. See, they're rolling. :rolleyes: Because I just don't care for some turd sitting on a tablet invading my game.

I'll still buy the game - when it hits about $40 - because I'm a sucker for open world sandbox games, but the MP footage gave me the distinct impression its attempting to cater to a Target Audience of teenagers on consoles.

see i actually like the tablet feature, one of my friends has an ipad he can use at work that he frequently uses to watch movies on plex or what ever, would be fun if he joined my game from work and either harassed me or even helped me which ever mood he is in.

its the kind of game play where the tablet feature could be implemented really well, compared to something like BF4's crap commander mode which is pretty bleh

its a twist on tank mayhem but the animations for the spider look nice.

I can understand people having lower expectations after the 6 month delay and graphics downgrade controversy but to not be excited at the potential for this game is crazy...I'm still not sure what to make of this game and don't think it'll be as ambitious as they are hyping it to be but I do think it has a chance to be great...just like with Titanfall I'm not sure the gameplay is enough to sustain it over the long haul

hacking everything will be fun for awhile but then it will start to get old...I'm hoping the developers have a few tricks up their sleeve...the main appeal for me is the open world Chicago setting which looks fantastic...this game looks like it's trying to innovate which is saying a lot compared to most other games

for some reason Watch Dogs reminds me of Sleeping Dogs ;)

its a twist on tank mayhem but the animations for the spider look nice.

I realize that, but in my mind it screams "me too!". It makes sense in games like GTA and Saints Row because the protagonists are sociopaths...not here so much.

I realize that, but in my mind it screams "me too!". It makes sense in games like GTA and Saints Row because the protagonists are sociopaths...not here so much.

It's like a virtual game. He gets some sort of "tech high" and get into these AR/VR mini-games. It fits perfectly.

It looks like it's designed to be a side game... its just mindless fun, doesn't need to tie into the main story all that much or at all. If it's fun to run around as a big giant robot spider smashing things for a few minutes, then the game is doing it's job and entertaining me.

Also (i know it wouldn't happen) but it would be a way to hack some sort of sex bot... since it's the future and all.

Sexbots.

After the last few trailers, my excitement for this game has gone from "eh, I guess I'll buy it" to "man, this is looking really good!" Honestly, I don't care if it looks like another GTA. If it's fun and keeps my interest, then I'll gladly play it.

This was one of the original reasons I pre-ordered the PlayStation 4 back when it was announced and soon after, dropped both when Watch Dogs was delayed. Though, I now have a PS4 anyway and will be purchasing Watch Dogs to go with it like my original plan.

my plan (right now) is to buy it if I can score a deal for 40ish out the door. 60+tax just doesn't feel right in this day and age.

if I have to wait a month or two that's not a huge deal, I do have a house I need to work on lol

Thankfully, it's an opt-in thing. Much as the lamer-looking multiplayer modes are opt-in.

I equate this kind of stuff to Doom 3's Super Turbo Turkey Puncher. It doesn't really detract from the core game.

my plan (right now) is to buy it if I can score a deal for 40ish out the door. 60+tax just doesn't feel right in this day and age.

if I have to wait a month or two that's not a huge deal, I do have a house I need to work on lol

Titanfall dropped to nearly half price a little over a month after release...will Watch Dogs drop that fast?

Back