Watch Dogs

Here are some shots I pulled from that prior trailer (not the most recent one).

Blizzard uses completely cinematic trailers for their games along with hundreds of other games have done in the past. Now with the advant of video streaming technology people are demanding gameplay footage so they can meticulously view each frame. Well there you go, it's not indicative of the final product neither. Reserve judgement for the final product.

And its pretty self evident from those cinematic trailers that they are not gameplay or attempting be to passed off as gameplay, seriously when have you ever seen anyone complain about a final game not looking like the cinematic trailers published prior to release.

I never understand why some people feel the need to white knight for devs/publishers when it comes to behavior that is so blatantly unacceptable. What you are overlooking is that if Ubi had any trailer footage which looked as good as the E3 2012 reveal then they would have released it by now rather than sticking their collective heads in the ground and screaming that there is no downgrade.

And despite any inaccurate reflections and missing shadows, it still looks significantly better and more detailed than any of the recent trailers.

Does it? Does it really? Are you 100% sure? The more I look at everything the more similar it appears.

Again, try to remember one simple fact. The E3 2012 demo was created well before the PS4 and XBox One announcements. Ubisoft didn't know what the technical specifications of those two consoles would be. They took their new engine and demoed a very tiny, very specific, polished section of the game on a high-end PC.

They haven't shown us anymore PC footage, so why even bother discussing it?

This is a cross-gen game, so you know it won't be as good looking as it could be.

There is no "white knighting" here. I just want you people to wait till the game comes out before you pass any judgement. You don't have to pre-order, you don't have to do anything.

Also, it's reported that there will be a video released tomorrow featuring PC footage.

Does it? Does it really? Are you 100% sure? The more I look at everything the more similar it appears.

Yes. Yes really.

Again, try to remember one simple fact. The E3 2012 demo was created well before the PS4 and XBox One announcements. Ubisoft didn't know what the technical specifications of those two consoles would be. They took their new engine and demoed a very tiny, very specific, polished section of the game on a high-end PC.

I have even said that this is the likely explanation, that the E3 2012 was a conceptual demonstration....however Ubi PR keeps insisting that there has been no downgrade and even that the PC version looks superior to the E3 2012 video.

They haven't shown us anymore PC footage, so why even bother discussing it?

Because the fact that Ubi has not shown any PC footage is of itself a reason to doubt its sincerity on this matter.

This is a cross-gen game, so you know it won't be as good looking as it could be.

I have already said as much in several posts, but that's not the issue as much as Ubi's dogmatic PR effectively telling users that they are wrong for noting any difference in graphics.

There is no "white knighting" here. I just want you people to wait till the game comes out before you pass any judgement. You don't have to pre-order, you don't have to do anything.

There are people grasping at straws trying to rationalise away any critical observations about the change in graphics. The game releases in 8 weeks, as much as people gnash teeth about not being judgmental until release, the fact is that it is VERY unlikely that there will be any significant improvement in graphics in such a short period of time.

Also, it's reported that there will be a video released tomorrow featuring PC footage.

Ubi better make it count, because otherwise what is left of its credibility will be completely torn to shreds. Look forward to seeing it.

Well I was going to do a breakdown reply, but it's not really worth it. We'll wait and see if there's any actual PC footage released tomorrow, otherwise there's nothing to discuss until the game comes out.

I'm looking forward to it because I'm a PC gamer who likes games - hopefully this turns out to be a good one.

I'm a little worried about the delay, but who really knows until the thing arrives.

Here are the requirements, as revealed by the game's new Steam page:

Minimum:
OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 1 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5770
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers

Recommended:
OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
Processor: Eight core - Intel Core i7-3770 @3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 X8 @ 4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/04/0...gnificant-oomph/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=emp

So, this was originally supposed to be running on a version of the newest Assassin's Creed engine. Is that still the case?

Those specs do seem awfully high, but oh well I do like higher specs for my PC games.

I'm guessing timing kept them from using Snowdrop.

I suppose, since Watch_Dogs has been in development for so long. Snowdrop is next-gen only though.

I wonder what AC:Unity will use, whether some variant of Anvil, Snowdrop or something new.

Yeah, I'd say that's a fair assessment. I'd expect the texel density to be as good as this, though.

Hopefully.

Ubisoft shows off the PC version of Watch Dogs

Ubisoft has released a new video showing off the PC version of open-world action game Watch Dogs.

In the video, below, lead engineer Paul Vlasie discusses how Ubisoft Montreal has worked with graphics company Nvidia to add exclusive features to the PC version of the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKOyqOJMmQ

Ubisoft has released a new video showing off the PC version of open-world action game Watch Dogs.

In the video, below, lead engineer Paul Vlasie discusses how Ubisoft Montreal has worked with graphics company Nvidia to add exclusive features to the PC version of the game...

Ugh here we go again with the Ubisoft/Nvidia love. PhysX I assume?

So unlike From software and the Dark Souls 2 nonsense, it seems Ubisoft doesn't mind utilizing the power of a PC to push their game farther than the console version. Nice!

Ugh here we go again with the Ubisoft/Nvidia love. PhysX I assume?

It's a beautiful thing. What should they do, hold back and not implement nice particle and physics effects because it might upset a minority that can't take advantage? That would rank right up there with a developer watering down PC version graphics to sate console players. No thanks. That already happens enough.

I'm glad we now have official confirmation that this will be a 'Way It's Meant To Be Played' Nvidia sponsored title...most likely they will offer it as part of a gaming bundle

It's a beautiful thing. What should they do, hold back and not implement nice particle and physics effects because it might upset a minority that can't take advantage? That would rank right up there with a developer watering down PC version graphics to sate console players. No thanks. That already happens enough.

Well, no. The problem is there's always this lingering fear that nvidia is deliberately locking AMD users out of performance/features (ignoring PhysX even). It's happened in the past (most recently with Arkham Origins, where the developer told AMD to fuck off with their performance fixes, presumably due to a contract with nvidia), so there's always the chance it can happen again.

Well, no. The problem is there's always this lingering fear that nvidia is deliberately locking AMD users out of performance/features (ignoring PhysX even). It's happened in the past (most recently with Arkham Origins, where the developer told AMD to fuck off with their performance fixes, presumably due to a contract with nvidia), so there's always the chance it can happen again.

AMD is doing the same thing with mantle and imo in a more under handed way
NM just showed up AMD with the latest beta drivers give nearly the same boost that mantle does lol and NV did it with out need for a custom API

it's amazing how easy Ubi has turned a day one no questions asked purchase into a "maybe after it's out for a while and 40 dollars" type of purchase.

There's always some stupid childish drama going on -- all based around the dollar sign. Why make your goal a great game when you can just screw it and have petty squabbles and ultimately dick over the consumer base.

After the shenanigans involving what the game will look like/quality/and general BS surrounding the title. I'm quite turned off to the whole thing.

Honestly -- if their whole next gen thing is HBAO and TXAA? big whoop. Nobody buys a game because of those two "features". I want it to be FUN and WORK first and foremost. The petty bickering between AMD/nvidia fans, it's pretty sad. I'm a fan of one over the other, but there is no reason why both can't deliver a great experience.

What should they do, hold back and not implement nice particle and physics effects because it might upset a minority that can't take advantage?

False choice fallacy. They should implement them in cross-platform ways so that all can enjoy them.

Ultimately, fracturing the platform is bad for everyone.

Last edited:
Watch Dogs Creative Director Jonathan Morin revealed on Twitter what CPU and GPU you’ll need to meet the game’s “ultra” specifications...“We expect a lot of different specs to run the game at a high,” he said...“But here are the ultra specs for the few who have them and ask for it. Ultra specs: Intel Core i7-4770K with a GeForce 780.”

Morin also said that the recently released PC trailer that was showing the game at its best was recorded on an Intel Core i7-3930K with a GeForce Titan...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-pc-ultra-specifications-revealed/1100-6418973/

That's twice now they've recommended 8 core/thread CPU's for this, previously the 3770k/FX-8500 and now the 4770k.
The statement is pretty vague though, this game isn't exactly on the level of Crysis 3 judging by the trailers but then again maybe all the Nvidia fluff will bump the requirements.

I wonder if Ubisoft is blowing smoke about the CPU requirement.

Last edited:
I expect that Watch Dogs is a fair bit more complex, CPU-wise, than Crysis 3. It certainly has a lot more AIs to deal with in the typical case.

Back