• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WASD / ESDF Question For PC Gamers

ballpoint

Gawd
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
917
I play ESDF. My middle finger goes on E.

When you play using WASD, which finger is used for W? The ring finger? Or the middle finger?

For years I have assumed that people moved over from the home row by one key when playing WASD, to have their middle finger used for forward. But I guess you could play it in the normal position if you used your ring finger to move forward.

Doh... wrong forum.
 
Last edited:
middle finger for W...

never considered using another one.

never considered using esdf either, but now that i read your post and placed my fingers there...totally makes sense. Thanks for the enlightening op!
 
I take it back... I used EADF. It's how I position my typing form. Then I use the S as my Prone most of the time and Shift my Crouch. W would be my Sprint and anything else can be remap.
 
Last edited:
middlefinger for w and multi-task with my pinky when switching between ctrl(crouch) shift(sprint/run) and my thump for prone and jumping.. reload, weapon change and knife are all on my mouse.

when i first started gaming i was an arrow key person.. took me a bit to transition to wsad keys but only because one of the games i played years ago didn't allow key's to be changed. after 15 years theres no way i can change from wsad.
 
I use .OEU for my keys...

2030usb_us_dvorak_703x289.png


this would be the equivalent to ESDF and it has multiple pro's:
-kinesthetically easier to find the key as 'F' key('U' key on my keyboard) has the bump to be easier to find so I don't have to look at the keys
-more keys are available to the left so it is easier to reach a larger quantity of keys around the main movement keys

cons:
-must remap keys before playing anything

In Conclusion, to each his own...
 
Middle finger on W, So you have the ring and pointy finger on the "strafe keys" at all times. The middle finger can easily switch to S for backpeddling when you feel cowardly.

Cons:
-must remap keys before playing anything

That looks unfriendly to type normally on too :( If you really want you can get those one hand keyboard things with a central WASD and a load of radiating buttons (set up for counterstrike I think). I used one for a while, but the key presses weren't low profile enough. :D

arrow keys

And trackball? :p
 
I started using ESDF back when Quake was relased. I never liked WASD due to the fact that I lost the ability to use W & Q as bindings for my Rocket Launcher and Lightning Gun. I just stuck with it and have never looked back. But to answer the OP, my middle finger is on E and my ring finger for W, Q and A. My pinky finger is for Shift and Ctrl.
 
I started using ESDF back when Quake was relased. I never liked WASD due to the fact that I lost the ability to use W & Q as bindings for my Rocket Launcher and Lightning Gun. I just stuck with it and have never looked back. But to answer the OP, my middle finger is on E and my ring finger for W, Q and A. My pinky finger is for Shift and Ctrl.

You must have big hands or really long fingers! :eek: I just tried the ESDF thing (as you said) with the pinky finger goes on the shift/cntrl. But for me it meant my hand kept having to twist up and down wto reach the shift/cntrl keys which was slightly offputting for the main movement set! I don't think I have little hands...
 
You must have big hands or really long fingers! :eek: I just tried the ESDF thing (as you said) with the pinky finger goes on the shift/cntrl. But for me it meant my hand kept having to twist up and down wto reach the shift/cntrl keys which was slightly offputting for the main movement set! I don't think I have little hands...

I'm 5' 11", so I guess my hands are at least proportionate to my height. As for Shift, I don't have to take my fingers off the ESDF keys, however when I have to push Ctrl (Ventrilo Push to Talk key), my fingers have to move a bit. I guess I'm just use to it after using the setup for over 10 years.
 
Last edited:
Listen, don't be dismissive of ESDF. Most people's reason seems to be that they're used to it. Sheep should not be dismissive!

ESDF is the home row. If you have trouble reaching shift from the home row, you must have trouble with typing in general?

ESDF makes it hard for me to reach CTRL easily in gaming. I just bind CTRL to a slow action and use all the extra buttons now in reach (T,G,B) for fast actions.

The main reason I switched from WASD to ESDF, apart from it just feeling more natural to me, is WASD seems to place importance on CAPS LOCK which is something I try to never, ever press.
 
Last edited:
Listen, don't be dismissive of ESDF. Most people's reason seems to be that they're used to it. Sheep should not be dismissive!

ESDF is the home row. If you have trouble reaching shift from the home row, you must have trouble with typing in general?

ESDF makes it hard for me to reach CTRL easily in gaming. I just bind CTRL to a slow action and use all the extra buttons now in reach (T,G,B) for fast actions.

The main reason I switched from WASD to ESDF, apart from it just feeling more natural to me, is WASD seems to place importance on CAPS LOCK which is something I try to never, ever press.

Its not I can't reach the ctrl/shift from that position...I can reach it from RDFG, just that when pressing those keys from there I have to twist my hand more to reach down from shift to ctrl. With WASD I still have to twist very slightly, but this is much less pronounced, so more comfortable. Wouldn't sheep just do what you tell them, it just doesn't work for me. :p

I don't know how you press the capslock! Id have to reach way across with the ring finger (the caps key has a cutout in the right side so you have to reach way across to press it easily. which doesn't happen, but also muscle memory means it feels right going up and down to Q normally) or reach up uncomfortably with the little finger.

I have found with a multiple button mouse, I map more actions to the thumb buttons and to the mouse (4 different weapons on the thumb wheel and alt fire :D) which means less action on the left hand, so less distractions from movement, as the fingers always remain as much as possible on the AD keys.
 
I don't know how you press the capslock! Id have to reach way across with the ring finger (the caps key has a cutout in the right side so you have to reach way across to press it easily. which doesn't happen, but also muscle memory means it feels right going up and down to Q normally) or reach up uncomfortably with the little finger.

Well in WASD your pinky is almost useless.. and you have to reach up to hit TAB... is that not equally as awkard as reaching from A to Q with the pinky? (I don't find it awkard at all... you have to do this every 13th keystroke or so while typing).

In WASD, your pinky sits right on caps lock. In ESDF it's the next key over. If you have an indent on caps lock key (most don't), it's half a key over. I don't see how that can be a problem even if your hands are child-sized. I guess it's not a problem for me because as mentioned I avoid using caps lock, to the point of rebinding any commands that point to it.

ESDF is the home row, but you're saying WASD works better for muscle memory? I don't follow. Unless you don't type much and mostly play games on the PC. To me WASD feels like trying to brush my teeth with the wrong hand. It took a significant amount of enoyment away from War For Cybertron, which didn't allow control remapping so I was forced to use WASD and constantly hit the wrong key when trying to transform or lunge. I've since gotten a PS3 style gamepad which works much better with games like that.
 
Well in WASD your pinky is almost useless.. and you have to reach up to hit TAB... is that not equally as awkard as reaching from A to Q with the pinky? (I don't find it awkard at all... you have to do this every 13th keystroke or so while typing).

In WASD, your pinky sits right on caps lock. In ESDF it's the next key over. If you have an indent on caps lock key (most don't), it's half a key over. I don't see how that can be a problem even if your hands are child-sized. I guess it's not a problem for me because as mentioned I avoid using caps lock, to the point of rebinding any commands that point to it.

ESDF is the home row, but you're saying WASD works better for muscle memory? I don't follow. Unless you don't type much and mostly play games on the PC. To me WASD feels like trying to brush my teeth with the wrong hand.

I shit you not OP. I just changed to ESDF in BF3 and TF2 and im a believer. Win. Been WASD lifer up till now. +rep.
 
Its not I can't reach the ctrl/shift from that position...I can reach it from RDFG, just that when pressing those keys from there I have to twist my hand more to reach down from shift to ctrl. With WASD I still have to twist very slightly, but this is much less pronounced, so more comfortable. Wouldn't sheep just do what you tell them, it just doesn't work for me. :p

I didn't notice that you were using RDFG. I thought you were talking about WASD when I was talking about normal typing etc. I think I'd still prefer ESDF just for the home row thing. Although I'll take RDFG over WASD any day.
 
ESDF, middle finger on E. You get more keys, and it just makes sense to me. Too bad my Asus laptop had arrows on WASD for movement, so annoying.
 
I've always wanted to switch to ESDF for the extra keys. I've tried before, but I just can't get used to the feel.
 
Never could get used to the slight offset of the keys. I used arrows for a while, then a zboard for a while. Now I have a g13, which has plenty of keys and is straight.

And a trackball as well, because real men play with balls.
 
I use WASD, but must be weird because I use it the same as if I'm typing normally (fingers on home row, ring finger hits W). I find it pretty effective since my muscle memory already knows where numbers/modifiers are from normal everyday typing.

I see the advantage in keybinds that an ESDF might provide, but I'm so used to WASD I don't think I'll ever change.
 
I use WASD, but must be weird because I use it the same as if I'm typing normally (fingers on home row, ring finger hits W). I find it pretty effective since my muscle memory already knows where numbers/modifiers are from normal everyday typing.

I see the advantage in keybinds that an ESDF might provide, but I'm so used to WASD I don't think I'll ever change.

^^^ this
 
WASD, I just don't like the feel of ESDF, I feel like I have much better access to the modifier keys, especially Cntl and Alt when I'm using WASD.

If I need more keys, which has only been a problem for MMOs, I've used an N52 or G13. It's really great moving WASD to being controlled by just the thumb.
 
I do ESDF with the middle finder on E. That is how your fingers sit in proper home row typing position, hence I choose to use it for games.
 
I use FDSA, F is forward, D is back, S is crouch, A is strafe left. Then we get to Z being strafe right, cause I've never needed to strafe simultaneously in both directions, space is jump, I typically use R for reload, and T for use (if I haven't bound it to a button on the trackball). Been playing that way for over a decade now. Also, I use a trackball, I find it a lot easy to control with less movement out of me.
 
ASDF M1 M2

A JUMP
S BACK
D STRAFE LEFT
F STRAFE RIGHT
M1 FORWARD
M2 FIRE

Making the current BF3 beta a NIGHTMARE for me as I can not rebind half the keys properly.
 
I actually use ASDX

S/X are foreward/backwards
A/D are left and right

I have found this combo to give me the comfort and position I desire for my use of the shift and ALT and spacebar.

If i use WASD it just feels weird having my hand so "open" like that.

*shrugs* that's just how I've always done it :)
 
I actually use ASDX

S/X are foreward/backwards
A/D are left and right

I have found this combo to give me the comfort and position I desire for my use of the shift and ALT and spacebar.

If i use WASD it just feels weird having my hand so "open" like that.

*shrugs* that's just how I've always done it :)

Wow, that seems crazy, but to each their own. If it works for you, then game on!

ESDF Setup

E - Forward
D - Backup
S - Strafe Left
F - Strafe Right
Space - Jump
R - Use
W - Crouch
Q - Random Action
A - Run/Walk
Shift - Switch Weapon
Ctrl - Ventrilo Push to Talk
G - Reload

Of course I change things up as needed up above is what I normally run with.
 
Meh, don't think I want to make a drastic change again. I understand the possible benefits but it's not necessarily something that would be night and day difference.


Back in the day, I used to use the following setup:

MS1 - Fire
MS2 - Walk Forward
" - Move Backward
< - Strafe Left
> - Strafe Right
? - Alt Fire/Zoom
: - Use
P - Drop Weap
M - Melee, sometimes prone (very few games back then)
N - Crouch
L - Flashlight


etc etc
 
Mine's pretty similar to GigaSmack:
ESDF Setup

E - Forward
D - Backup
S - Strafe Left
F - Strafe Right
A - Run/Walk
Space - Jump
Shift - Crouch
Z - Prone
R - Reload
W - Melee/Special
Q - Spot/drop/etc.
C - Ventrilo/Push to Talk
G - Use/Enter
T - Throw Grenade
V - Light/Map
Tab - Scoreboard/Objectives/PDA

I also have these right-side keys bound to the G700 mouse's extra buttons...

Up Arrow
Down Arrow
Left Arrow
Right Arrow
Backspace
Enter

... which get bound to various things, usually view controls or things related to weapon/items like firing mode, specific grenades, etc.
 
I'd take a pic of which finger i use, but i might get in trouble for flipping everyone off ;)
 
wasd, used it in css cal-m, used it top 0.5% 2v2/3v3 wow arena and will continue to use it in any other game and dominate.
 
I've always used ESDF with middle finger on E. As soon as I started playing pc fps games I would change the keys over. I really don't get why games don't come with a preset binding for ESDF and more so why it isn't the standard.
 
Back
Top