Warhammer Online Thread!

Ahh, here are the WAR Fanboy's coming out of the woodwork. Funny I went to Bestbuy today and saw a full rack of WAR sitting there and two collector editions :p They will be perfect for Ebay to sell to the idiots that clamor over this crappy game.

no refute to frostex's points?

if you're just going to ignore the facts and spew useless banter, please gtfo & stop trolling

What server is everyone here playing on for Destruction ?

I want to create a DoK, character name will be " Zorachus " My Brothers can be lame and will only play Order, so I have a High Elf SwordMaster which is ok class, but to me the DoK is my favorite class in entire game, reminds me of a mix of WoW Paladin + Rogue-combat.

What makes you think the game is crappy? Did you play the game on release? They've patched quite a few things since beta.

It's not that it's crappy, it's a decent game, but decent isn't good enough. In the same way that decent games in any other genre are impotent against their respective genre juggernauts, WAR is not comparable to WoW. It's something that no amount of patching and updating can ever fix.

What server is everyone here playing on for Destruction ?

I want to create a DoK, character name will be " Zorachus " My Brothers can be lame and will only play Order, so I have a High Elf SwordMaster which is ok class, but to me the DoK is my favorite class in entire game, reminds me of a mix of WoW Paladin + Rogue-combat.

I'm playing on Azazel as a Chosen. Not getting on as much as I would like only level 11, but the class is finally worth playing once you hit level 10. Before that you're basically a tank without tank abilities.

I'm not sure what I'll roll for an alt yet. I liked Witch Elf in preview so that's my first choice, but I may try Sorcress or roll a Zealot since everyone loves healers. Haven't tried DoK yet.

I tried the Beta for this game and was seriously un-impressed. For one the graphics look very dull and bland. I've seen better looking games on a PS2. The animation looks like 1999 and watching people in the distant fight looks like a choppy mess.
Second, the combat and leveling in the game is slow. What's the point of PVPing at level 1? It's level up, get to 40 and worry about PVP at that point. Why frustrate yourself with having to deal with players that are higher than you?

So as soon as everyone's eyes stop glazing over from this POS and a bunch of people are 40, what does Mythic have in store for end game? Just PVP? Please, I'll take my Counter Strike any day for PVP. As for any PVE stuff, Mythic is going to fail and people won't see any good in hanging around just for PVP.

I'll check back in on you in a month when the idiot 40's are rolling the starter zones killing the game for many folks.

Kinda think you completely looked over 99.9% of this thread. Few points you can research yourself. Bolster, Chicken Mechanic, Keeps, City Raiding. Think that's answered all of your complaints once you look it up.

Ahh, here are the WAR Fanboy's coming out of the woodwork. Funny I went to Bestbuy today and saw a full rack of WAR sitting there and two collector editions :p They will be perfect for Ebay to sell to the idiots that clamor over this crappy game.

I don't even play the game but you sound like a clueless troll right now. At least be a good troll that knows a few facts like how higher levels can't grief low level players because of game limitations they have in place.

I got this game in the very high anticipation of finally having a new MMO to play, and being able to leave WOW behind, so please keep in mind that I went into this game with high expectations. I've been playing WOW for a few years now, and have for the most part liked it, but with so many things I see that could make the game just that much better...I was hoping WAR would fix these things and in some ways, it did, but overall I was sorely disappointed with WAR, and won't be going over my 2 months paid for.

Some things I thought WAR did great was allowing you to level through PVP. The WORST part of WOW is the fact that you need to spend so much time leveling just to get to the actual game (end-game) in WAR this doesn't feel quite as much like that, but maybe thats just cause the WOW quests were so bland and boring for the most part, and I am more PVP oriented than PVE until end-game when it's worth it.

Even though WAR fixed some of the problems with WOW, it completely forgot to include most of what made WOW the top dog (and why it will continue to be, I'm sure). The graphics in WAR are horrible. Very muddy and bland, and lack any kind of detail. WOW decimates WAR graphically, which is weird...Ganking is just a part of playing on a PVP server, and the certain restrictions WAR puts in really do make it better for some I guess, but I think ganking is a big part of WOW's identity, and I never had a problem with it. Sure, while leveling you die some, but it's all in the spirit of the game, and that is just world PVP. I do like the idea of Keeps, and city raiding, but I just can't invest all the time into the game to get to that stage, it doesn't seem worth it to me. Other than that, end-game looks like it's very small compared to WOW.

Basically, WAR is an ok game, but not worth (for me) paying each month to play. I am already bored with it somewhat, and I'm not even fully leveled yet. WOW just feels 1 billion times richer and deeper with more things to experience, and work towards whether it be rep grinding, PVPing, or any number of things. WAR has these things, but just on a very downplayed level in comparison to WOW. Most likely this is just because of how new WAR is, and they need to find their place I suppose.

Probably the worst part about WAR though is the fact that the servers can't seem to hold very many people. They're all already full, or getting there :p

Bottom line, I did not like this game, and for what I want out of an MMO, WAR falls flat on its face. I'm not trying to bash on the game, if you prefer it to WOW I'm glad because I sure wanted to love it. Unfortunately, looks like I'll go back to WOW for the time being...

I agree with many people about the pve lacking... pq's not being great, quests being dull and repetative, but the pvp is just so much damn fun. I usually log in and queue up right away and then try to pass the time till the scenario by doing a quest here and there.

I think I'm sold on this game.
I typically don't enjoy MMOs, but I think this one might be an exception.

ITT we compare a new game to a 4 year old game.

I agree... when WoW came out there were no battlegrounds, raids, honor system, group queue system, 6-7 end game instances, and ridiculous sever instability, which everyones denies for some reason although they forget it was so bad that blizzard refunded play time on several occasions. The game came out a week ago and people are talking about how they don't want to stay with this game because of the lack of content and how they do not know if RvR could keep their attention, even though they admit they are having a blast in pvp right now. Why don't you give mythic a chance and let them add some content?

So far i have played this game and have mixed reviews about it. I will state 3 list and you cant agree or disagree.

Cons (general issues)
1. Disconnect while playing and ggpo pc for a while, since the game is trying to shut itself down.
2. Is it me or is everyone having to accept the term everytime they play?
3. Can EA just keep it simple like WoW and have the login screen appear instead of having all the splash screens etc etc and trying to get me to join another less populated server
4. Graphics - something feels weird about this, not including the environments, and i may be in the minority here, these characters look more cartoony than wow in a sense that they are all bulky and have this funny movement to them. The spell effects are nice but not as much as people made it out to be

Pros (general)
1. Custom UI without the need of addons
2. short distance between beginner levels - in most MMOs the towns were always spread out and walking was a drag
3. Graphics (environment) - beside the floor, the buildings and scenery is pleasant.
4. Audio - the audio in this game is really nice, especially all those Lord of the ring type horns and everything.

Gameplay: Okay the main issue i seem to be having with this game and i still do not understand is that many people were saying WoW was noob friendly and what not, but after playing WAR im going to go out and say that this game is even more user friendly than WoW. I know a lot of people like the idea of jumping into RVR and gaining XP for killing other players, but in my opinion that distracts and takes away from the real challenge of admiring those who worked hard for their pvp gear and could easily take you out in 1 hit. The idea that we all must be equal in terms of lvl takes the fun of trying. Sure wow had its tedious moments of say waiting 3 weeks for a new piece, but im sure you were damn happy when you finally got it. Here its more of tag along with you party and if something you want falls, need.

WAR still feels like a big solo MMO and in total, i had one person whisper anything at all. No one seems to talk. :(

Ill type more on other issues i have with the game, but im going to go play it some more :)

And no i have not and will not quit WoW. BGs and Arenas are still fun for me.

I am still confused about the RVR part of this game.
Does it keep you from PVE when you are trying to level?
Is leveling a quick thing (too quick) just to get you up so all you do is PVP?

people say that WOW is great the one BIG distraction I have with what people in this thread seem to think is a great thing I think SUCKS....honor system.

Grind some more...they have gone TOOOOOO dam far on this grinding every damn thing.

So far i have played this game and have mixed reviews about it. I will state 3 list and you cant agree or disagree.

Cons (general issues)
1. Disconnect while playing and ggpo pc for a while, since the game is trying to shut itself down.
3. Can EA just keep it simple like WoW and have the login screen appear instead of having all the splash screens etc etc and trying to get me to join another less populated server
4. Graphics - something feels weird about this, not including the environments, and i may be in the minority here, these characters look more cartoony than wow in a sense that they are all bulky and have this funny movement to them. The spell effects are nice but not as much as people made it out to be

Pros (general)
2. short distance between beginner levels - in most MMOs the towns were always spread out and walking was a drag
3. Graphics (environment) - beside the floor, the buildings and scenery is pleasant.
4. Audio - the audio in this game is really nice, especially all those Lord of the ring type horns and everything.

Gameplay: Okay the main issue i seem to be having with this game and i still do not understand is that many people were saying WoW was noob friendly and what not, but after playing WAR im going to go out and say that this game is even more user friendly than WoW. I know a lot of people like the idea of jumping into RVR and gaining XP for killing other players, but in my opinion that distracts and takes away from the real challenge of admiring those who worked hard for their pvp gear and could easily take you out in 1 hit. The idea that we all must be equal in terms of lvl takes the fun of trying. Sure wow had its tedious moments of say waiting 3 weeks for a new piece, but im sure you were damn happy when you finally got it. Here its more of tag along with you party and if something you want falls, need.

WAR still feels like a big solo MMO and in total, i had one person whisper anything at all. No one seems to talk. :(

Ill type more on other issues i have with the game, but im going to go play it some more :)

IMO, people are still figuring out the game. Later people are going to set up with their friends and you'll see more people talking and such.

I am still confused about the RVR part of this game.
Does it keep you from PVE when you are trying to level?
Is leveling a quick thing (too quick) just to get you up so all you do is PVP?

people say that WOW is great the one BIG distraction I have with what people in this thread seem to think is a great thing I think SUCKS....honor system.

Grind some more...they have gone TOOOOOO dam far on this grinding every damn thing.

No, it doesn't keep you from PvE. You can level entirely off of RvR if you choose. Or entirely off of PvE. It's entirely up to you. And if you focus on one method of leveling you don't miss out on anything.

In WoW there was no point in stopping to do battlegrounds as you can't level off of it and the honor was really useless before 70. In warhammer you can RvR at level 1, level off of it and get gear for your level.

No, leveling is not too quick. Some would say it's slow.

The honor system in WoW is different than in War. In War you have renown. You can renown levels, of which there are 80. You don't use renown points to buy anything as you would with honor. Instead when you reach certain renown levels you can just talk to a renown vendor and buy your gear with money.

So with RvR you level with your main level with XP and repeatable RvR quests but you also end up leveling your renown.

It's not a grind at all. In fact I don't even look at my bars. I just keep playing because it's fun.
And there are different scenerios for you to do in each teir. You aren't stuck with the same crappy scenerios for the entire game, like WoW.
And of course there is open world RvR and keep sieges.

And if those aren't your thing there are also dungeons and Raids.

Cons (general issues)

Pros (general)

Yes, you have to accept the EULA every time. They say it's for legal reasons. There are alot of screens you have to go through before you log in. I wish they weren't there but it's not a big deal.
Make sure you have AA and AF enabled on your video card. I actually like the graphics.

I actually LOVE how the chat channel is mostly quiet. In WoW people wouldn't shut up. And it was 90% whiny, bitching kids. Non stop. I hated it.
People do talk in warhammer but it's between guild members mostly. I have guild and we chat all the time. I whisper friends. It all works out great for me. With no annoying chat channel.

Ok time for my opinion of WAR after playing it for 3 nights so far. First off I have and still play WoW, since November 2004, but never a hardcore player, just casual few nights per week, only have one Level70, and million other Level 50/60 characters. My Brothers I also game with, have been playing WoW casual with for the last two years now.

I think WAR is a fresh new MMORPG, and happy to play a new RPG, I like it, NOT love it, needs major work still in my eyes, but I am hopeful it will be killer.

- Log in screen, I know it's not too big a deal, but come on, let me just get into the game and not all this other crap.

- Graphics, both my Brothers asked where are the detailed setting options, no AA/AF option ? They said every game for years has had that option built in, shows poorly on Mythic not having game with those options. Sure set those in drivers, but not the same. Give me same options as Oblivion has, it is the same engine, just toned down. Let us hardcore rigs run the game at Ultra settings if we want to.

Part of WAR looks really cool, and other parts look worse than WoW, mainly the floor/ground looks very blurry like even forcing AF doesn't seem to do much, and from a distance looking at the roads they are very fuzzy, not extreme detailed like I would like. Also the view distance even at max setting still seems not far enough, I would like to set view distance much further, I hate always seeing the buildings in the background half shown, looks lame.

- Character models look good, but really not much better than WoW which is 4yrs old, and why does everyone seems to wear the same gear, in WoW you can have a million different pieces of armor on to look different even by Level 20, but in WAR it seems very limited, I like gear, and having the best blue or purple items, to be unique, that seems missing from WAR, everyone looks too similar.

- PvE questing so far, seems very lame and boring, the enemies just freaking stand there doing nothing until you walk right on them, and they are the same attacks, just go in bash them rinse and repeat. Very dissapointed with PvE so far, and what is an RPG without killer PvE ? For PvP only game I will just play some Quake deathmatch.

- Tons of little issues needs fixing, like picking up loot is sort of hard to get cursor just right......Seeing group party on mini map is bad to be grey dot, should change that......No linking of items......the mail system is a joke......jerky animations of people in the distance......I could go on and on about a ton of small things that bothered us playing this so far.

My opinion of WAR so far, only got to Level 5...been trying out like 6 classes got them all just to 5th level, but I think it is a fresh game, and nice new world to explore, but it needs a ton of work in my eyes. Seems like it was released too early. It seems to fit in the middle of WoW + Vanguard, where WoW is polished to a diamond but it has been out for years and made a billion dollars they can make the game perfect, but WAR is not as incomplete as Vanguard, which could have been a great game if they could have finished it with more money and time, Vanguard in concept was a great idea, just released years too early, and never had money to complete it. WAR is is in the middle, not polished like WoW was, but for sure way ahead of Vanguard at release

So I say WAR needs patching and fixing big time to make it a truly great game, not sure it can ever be as solid as WoW but a close 2nd isn't bad. I like the game, my Brothers say just ok, not in love yet with this game, but it must have all these issues taken care of soon before WoTLK, if they want to keep players for the winter, and help build a solid fan base, because if WAR is still in this state once WoLTK releases, it will be very hard for Mythic to really build a big following.

I hope the week of Nov 13th, due date for WoTLK, Mythic should release their biggest patch yet for the game at same time, add some new things, or major fixes or something to one up WoW ??

ITT we continue to compare a brand new game to a game released 4 years ago which had almost none of the features it has today at release.

I love how now in T2 when I try to RvR scenario I get matched against guilds like goon squad and at the end I only come out with 140xp

ITT we continue to compare a brand new game to a game released 4 years ago which had almost none of the features it has today at release.

The thing is, you can* compare WAR to Classic WoW, on the sole basis, that Current WoW has essentially established what the MMORPG genre ought to be like in a grand sense. Any game coming out now, who wants to stand a chance in hell in the MMORPG market *has* to arrive with the feature sets WoW currently has and then some. If it can't then whats the point in playing it? Its completely valid to compare current WoW to the release of Warhammer.

No one is saying Warhammer won't achieve the greatness of WoW, or implement its features. But we are saying that the fact it lacks certain things out of the box makes the overall experience (to some) fall short of WoW. Don't get me wrong, I understand the development process and the enormous time it takes to create instances, new zones, etc etc.

Its a business, and unfortunately for us (the consumer) those companies need to start making back money on their product, so we are left with a semi-lackluster experienece at start. /Shrug. I am sure it will get better. But please stop telling people to not compare the two.

*Edit: Can instead of can't.

- Graphics, both my Brothers asked where are the detailed setting options, no AA/AF option ? They said every game for years has had that option built in, shows poorly on Mythic not having game with those options. Sure set those in drivers, but not the same. Give me same options as Oblivion has, it is the same engine, just toned down. Let us hardcore rigs run the game at Ultra settings if we want to.

Just turn on AA/AF in your video card settings. It's not a big deal.

Part of WAR looks really cool, and other parts look worse than WoW, mainly the floor/ground looks very blurry like even forcing AF doesn't seem to do much, and from a distance looking at the roads they are very fuzzy, not extreme detailed like I would like. Also the view distance even at max setting still seems not far enough, I would like to set view distance much further, I hate always seeing the buildings in the background half shown, looks lame.

It wouldn't make sense to see extreme detail in the distance. And I like the way the distance in this game looks. Something far away will not be presented in high detail as it's, you know, far away. But there are distance sliders.
There was an issue with floor textures being blurry but as far as I know it was fixed.

- Character models look good, but really not much better than WoW which is 4yrs old, and why does everyone seems to wear the same gear, in WoW you can have a million different pieces of armor on to look different even by Level 20, but in WAR it seems very limited, I like gear, and having the best blue or purple items, to be unique, that seems missing from WAR, everyone looks too similar.

I don't like gear based games. WoW is WAY to heavily gear based and to compete on any kind of level requires that gear. I'd rather my skills speak for themselves. That said, you only made it to level 5. In the noob levels everyone is going to look the same, it's the same for WoW. There is more variation as you level up.

- PvE questing so far, seems very lame and boring, the enemies just freaking stand there doing nothing until you walk right on them, and they are the same attacks, just go in bash them rinse and repeat. Very dissapointed with PvE so far, and what is an RPG without killer PvE ? For PvP only game I will just play some Quake deathmatch.

War is not a hardcore PvE game. If that is what you wanted you bought the wrong game. No point in complaining that quake doesn't have PvE as that's not what it's designed for. That said there is great PvE in warhammer. Better than any other game. The Public Quests make a huge difference. And the story for the quests are all based on a central theme. The Tome of Knowledge really helps to bring it all together and unfold the story.

But if you really break it down the yes it's all about killing this or that, deliver this, escort that, same as WoW. But with more depth.

- Tons of little issues needs fixing, like picking up loot is sort of hard to get cursor just right......Seeing group party on mini map is bad to be grey dot, should change that......No linking of items......the mail system is a joke......jerky animations of people in the distance......I could go on and on about a ton of small things that bothered us playing this so far.

I don't see how the grey dots are an issue. I also don't see how the mail system is a joke. It's a freaking mailbox. You send stuff. Done.
I don't think WoW had linking of items either when it launched. Not that I care. I got sick and tired in guild chat of all the kiddies linking their crap all the time. What was the point?

You are only level 5 and you have a ton of things to do yet. Have you done any scenerios? Public Quests? Open World RvR? Keep battles? Have you joined a guild? Done any dungeons? Raids? There is ALOT to look forward to. Alot still to discover and do. You are getting an introduction to everything now but it grows alot. Armor does become varied later on. You get it through standard PvE rewards and drops. Through winning the roll in public quests, buying gear with your influence points, drops from open world RvR, renown vendors, etc.

War is a very focused game. It doesn't, nor will it, have all the fluff of wow. Everything is based on war and it is for war.
And everything i've outlined above, no matter what you do, contributes to realm control. What you do actually matters in the game.

Oh, and I did neglect to mention what right of the bat put me off this game; the fact that when you load up WAR you have to sit through like half a minute of gay intro splash pages, then accept a EULA every time before you can play...why can't it just be like WOW? Launch the game, sign-in, play! Very stupid on EA's part.

It's holding my interest as a dabbler much longer than WoW did. In both cases, I've got a character on my brothers account that I will log into for an hour or two here or there from time to time.

I tolerated WoW for about a week, and did not like it. The best thing I can say for WAR, even though I hate the click-wait-for-cool-down-click type of gameplay, is that the sheer amount of "STUFF" to do when you first step into the world has belayed a lot of the hate I might feel for it. It's very very very slowly growing on me.

PvE, well, it is boring. *BUT*, theres a lot of it. Since one of my favorite things to do is explore MMO's, boring or not, I'm golden on that one. I would call the PvE "as expected" but I'm still a little disappointed, which is the way I felt about it during beta.

RvR - eveyone seem to be exclaiming that this is amazing. I think if DiCE released a Battlefield: Magical Warfare game, this would be how it would play. The fact I can level through it is cool. The fact that I can do from word 1 is cool.

Public Quests - "Just jump into a group" Sure, or get 11th, 13th, or 15th place over and over until you get a persistance bonus high enough to outroll the group of people who are camping it to get loot and won't group with you. Awesome concept, to really work, it needs to auto group you with whomever is open. Otherwise, this will keep happening.

I'm still developing my opinion, it definitely has not grabbed me, like some of my friends. I still prefer Conan, unfortunately the game I want to play there is too busy being pounded into the ground by the developers who seem to be hellbent on fucking it up.

Public Quests - "Just jump into a group" Sure, or get 11th, 13th, or 15th place over and over until you get a persistance bonus high enough to outroll the group of people who are camping it to get loot and won't group with you. Awesome concept, to really work, it needs to auto group you with whomever is open. Otherwise, this will keep happening.

You don't have to be in a group to do a public quest or get 1st place. I've been 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the roll many times.
Just go in a public quest area and starting doing whatever is required for that stage. That's it.

The thing is, you can't compare WAR to Classic WoW, on the sole basis, that Current WoW has essentially established what the MMORPG genre ought to be like in a grand sense. Any game coming out now, who wants to stand a chance in hell in the MMORPG market *has* to arrive with the feature sets WoW currently has and then some. If it can't then whats the point in playing it? Its completely valid to compare current WoW to the release of Warhammer.

No one is saying Warhammer won't achieve the greatness of WoW, or implement its features. But we are saying that the fact it lacks certain things out of the box makes the overall experience (to some) fall short of WoW. Don't get me wrong, I understand the development process and the enormous time it takes to create instances, new zones, etc etc.

Its a business, and unfortunately for us (the consumer) those companies need to start making back money on their product, so we are left with a semi-lackluster experienece at start. /Shrug. I am sure it will get better. But please stop telling people to not compare the two.

WoW has had 4 years to continue to develop and add content into the game since it's release. WAR's PVP system puts WoW to shame, and while niether of the games' PVE systems is very exciting, WAR PVE is much easier to log in and jump into while waiting to get into scenarios. PQs also enable people to attain gear without running instances 5-6 times trying to get an item to drop, and the most time consuming part of that in WoW is forming a group. WoW's world PVP is nothing but ganking people trying to do quests, and arenas are a flat out joke. WAR's world PVP system is very entertaining and everyone is very active in it. Keep battles are just plain epic.

WoW is what it is after 4 years of polish. They didn't even address paladin talent tree issues until 2 years into the game, mind you those talent trees were put into place on release and not during the beta. You need to give WAR some time to develop before making any harsh judgments.

As for me, I love this game and it has me hooked and I will stick around to see what develops. Lets hope the developers don't screw this up.

Basically, WAR is an ok game, but not worth (for me) paying each month to play. I am already bored with it somewhat, and I'm not even fully leveled yet. WOW just feels 1 billion times richer and deeper with more things to experience, and work towards whether it be rep grinding, PVPing, or any number of things. WAR has these things, but just on a very downplayed level in comparison to WOW. Most likely this is just because of how new WAR is, and they need to find their place I suppose.

I can't agree more. Keep in mind that I only played WoW for about 6 months after its initial release and then for a month after TBC came out. There's just something about it that's not as engrossing. It's the same problem LotRO had: it just lacks a certain spark to the visual design, the environments, the quests and characters. The games might technically be clones of each other as far as the overall gameplay, but WoW just seems to do it so much better.

For one thing, WAR doesn't capitalize on the (apparently) prolific lore in the Warhammer universe. I am not familiar with Warhammer lore in the slightest, but it just doesn't bring to the table a sense of overarching anything other than Order doesn't like Destruction. I'm not prompted by the game in any way to go and find out about the lore of the world like I was by WoW. When I stepped into Azeroth for the first time, I had never played a Warcraft game before. Today, I've read up on all sorts of lore-related BS and played through the WC2 and WC3 (WC1 is a little on the old side).

Even with the Tome of Knowledge feature, I found myself saying "OK new entry... I don't give a shit" and never even looking at it. It feels like plain old gritty, realistic Tolkien-esque fantasy to me, but without the headcrushing depth and richness of reading a novel. It's the same way that LotRO failed to make a world rooted in such deep lore interesting. Warcraft's cartoonishness is a boon to it in this sense. It takes a serious world and makes it engrossing and magical (and I don't mean that in the 8 year old at Disney World sense) in a way gritty realism never can for an MMO.

In short, what I'm saying is that an MMO needs more than quality gameplay to be considered great as the gameplay is a shallow and relatively simple element in the genre. It needs to be able to make you forget that you're simply engaging in an endless grindfest.

Why is it any time I want to play I have to wait 45-50minutes just to get in, by that time I don't have any time to play?

I just hit rank 26 and I'm gonna share what I think about this game and be as candid as possible. I see lots of uninformed posts here claiming how the graphics are worse than WoW or how the PVE sucks (it's a PVP game stupid). I also see tons of fanboys claiming it's the greatest MMO of all time and defend the game even when it doesn't deserve it. This game does many things brilliantly but it also has some huge flaws that make you go WTF?

Good:

Scenarios and RvR - Tons of scenarios in the game for you people who loved WSG and AB. You can queue for a battleground anywhere in the world by hitting a button on the ui, no need to go to a battle master. World RvR objectives are in every zone and keep sieges are very fun, especially T3 (I haven't seen 4). Best of all you get xp and advance your level through PVP, actually doing scenarios is the fastest xp/hour gain in my limited experience, and each scenario has repeatable quests for participation/kills that gives you even more xp. Bolster and chicken mechanics work very well to prevent ganking by pussies who would rather kill lowbies all day than fight someone their own size. Regenerative AP system makes for much longer fights than in WoW and I'm glad that you can't 2-3 shot people anymore, that was cheap as hell. The game is balanced around group combat, certain classes will beat others 1v1 9 times out of 10 and it promotes group play and not HK whoring.

Questing GPS - every quest waypoint is marked on the map giving you a general idea of where to go, no more thottbot bullshit (well there are mods for that now but still).

Graphics - anyone who thinks this game has worse or even just marginally better graphics than WoW is either blind, doensn't know what a polygon is, is confusing art style with fidelity and prefers wow's style, or is just a fanboy liar. This game has at least 10x the polygon count of WoW. The character models aren't even close, there is a lighting engine, the trees have actual leaves, and the textures (at least up close) are at least 4x the resolution. Sure they don't have some of the majestic scenes of WoW but remember that Blizzard had 5 years and many more artists to make that world. I think most people who say the graphics suck are just programmed to wow's cartoony look and are automatically turned off by warhammer's more realistic and gritty look and they dismiss it as worse when it is technically superior in every way.

Guild system - this game has the most elaborate guild system i have even seen, your guild levels up as your members accomplish things, unlocking tons of cool stuff from banners to guild halls, and different abilities for your banner carrier, all tied in to RvR and keep sieging. Capital cities also rank up and unlock new stuff.
Tactics/Morale abilities - 10 tactics templates allows for a very wide variety of specs without having to actually respec and lets you adapt to the situation much better. I can spec full Brawler and still tank just fine by swapping my tactics. morale abilities can also be swapped and it adds even more variety.

I'm leaving out tons of other cool stuff like the Tome of Knowledge (I guess it's cool if you are an achievement whore, i couldn't really care less) and other people have talked about enough PQs but I have to get to the problems which are serious.

Bad:

Broken systems/mechanics and bugs - I know no mmo ever ships finished and its a continuous beta process but some of the bugs in this game just make you go WTF.

9 times out of 10 when you back up a mob that is attacking you he bugs out and says out of range and you have to keep moving him until he unbugs.

The crit system is busted, it is completely based on enemy initiative so if you pick up a tactic that for example supposedly gives you +20% crit while you have a Best Plan, that goes through enemy initiative too and the tactic only gives you +4% crit on average. Try it out, we have confirmed it and told Mythic, crit-based career abilities/tactics are almost worthless right now.

Targeting - this is just ridiculous. TAB almost never ever selects the correct target, I can't tell you how many times I have an enemy point blank right in front of me, hit TAB and it it picks someone completely random. It doesn't seem to be working progressively in a cone like in other mmo's but is merely a 'next target' function and half the fucking time it will pick an enemy behind me. 'nearest enemy target' is also useless because it picks enemies behind me and I don't want to always target the closest enemy anyway. This forces us who use the keyboard for everything and hold the right mouse button down almost all of the time for mouse look to target using the fucking cursor which is killing my enjoyment of the combat and cursor targeting is almost impossible as well since you have to put it on the exact pixel of the enemy model. This might not seem like a big deal to some of you, but as someone who hit Field Marshall and had +2400 arena teams in wow, tab targeting and being able to use the mouse almost exclusively for mouse look is extremely important to me and I can't believe the game shipped like this.

Controls - something is wrong with the way the game binds and interprets controls. When you try to bind something like Shift-R, it will detect the shift first and the R second (not as a single combo), which leads to many problems. As soon as you hit shift the game thinks you are gonna use a specific keybind, and it LOCKS all the other buttons that you have NOT bound in combination with shift!!! 2 button combos should not be recognized until both the buttons that make up the combo are pressed, and holding shift or ctrl or alt (which aren't bound to anything by themselves) should not be locking out other buttons. If you want your controls to behave like wow you have to think of every possible combination where you might hit a key which hasn't been specifically bound to the modifier you are holding and then bind it, for example being able to use WASD while holding shift requires you to bind shift-w, shift-a, etc.. This is just plain fucking stupid, I have no idea how it made it into release, the person who designed this shit and the guy in charge of him who let it slide should be fired. Also mouse buttons 4 and 5 don't work while holding the right mouse button, meaning in pvp combat when you are almost always holding Mouse2 for mouse look, your thumb buttons are fucking useless.

Engine - something is terribly wrong with the UI engine. Even a monster pc like a my 4.2ghz E8400 with 4gb ram, running at a resolution that has no chance of being gpu limited, often times has terrible bouts of stuttering and pauses. We have narrowed it down to UI updates, the game parses buffs/debuffs many times per second and it chokes the cpu. There is a mod called buffthrottle that reduces the refresh timer to 0.5 sec and makes a huge difference but the party ui and combat log still lag the hell out of the game. Next time you pug a scenario, leave your scenario group and kill the combat log tab, you will see a huge decrease in stuttering.
The options menu needs serious work as well. Not including mouse sensitivity or brightness or AA or AF options is just amateur hour. They did add the gpu cache slider to help the originally ridiculously blurry textures but it also seems to set the AF method because even if I set my NVCP to 16x AF, high quality, and turn off all the optimization, I still get nasty texture shimmering making me think the game is using it's own terribly 'optimized' AF method no matter what I set the driver to. The whole point of High Quality texture mode in the NVCP is to get rid of texture shimmering, at least with 8800 and later gpus. At least AA override works. Windowed mode bugs out sometimes where if you go to your other monitor to do something in Firefox and then come back to the game it will run at half the speed it did before you focused on the other monitor, and for some reason they have programmed the game to run only using like 10% cpu while it is not in the foreground, so if I'm using Firefox on my other monitor while the game is running, I get to watch a seizure-inducing 7 fps slide show on my main monitor.
Spamming a button also bugs out the animation and gives the appearance that something is wrong with the GCD.

Other problems include things like being kicked out of your party and/or bg queue if you dc or log out, clunky raid making setting up groups a pain, guild roster tab not remembering you checked 'hide offline', etc.. but these are relatively minor things and I can live with them for now, which brings me to the my main two beefs with the game:

1. NO RAID QUEUING for scenarios. In a game that is supposed to be about highly competitive pvp, forcing you to play with 2/3 of your raid consisting of pugs is just fucking retarded. I don't know about you guys, but I hate typing in bg/scenario chat when I'm fighting and I hate playing with people who are not on Vent with me. What's the point of being in a good guild when you can't q as a raid and go up against another guild also queuing as a raid, and fight some epic battles. I don't know what Mythic is thinking, playing with pugs who aren't on vent is not fun for me and this shit needs to be changed immediately.

2. A game based on RvR will live or die by it's server population, and the pop caps in this game seem ridiculously small. Even on a high pop server you see many deserted areas and BG queues take too long to pop, but that's also a function of the order/destro imbalance, and makes me wonder why they pimped destro so much while giving order some totally pussy-looking races like the high elves.

I'm not even gotta get into class design/balance issues (and there are many) because it's just too early for that, but I will say that I'm very confused by the design by some of the career trees which seem to offer great synergies to a class of one faction and none to the equivalent class on the other faction...

So there you go, I'm sure I'll get flamed for what I said but it's what I think. This game has almost got me hooked, the RvR combat is great (tanks are actually viable in pvp!), and has tons of potential. But the broken systems/bugs/bonehead design decisions are serious and hopefully they will be fixed soon. I'm probably gonna subscribe for a month because the fun of RvR is enough for me to overlook some of the problems for now but if they don't start fixing things soon I'm not so sure in the long run. They seem to be more concerned about banning gold spammers than fixing broken systems...

Why is it any time I want to play I have to wait 45-50minutes just to get in, by that time I don't have any time to play?

There are queues if your server is full. Same thing happened in WoW too. You can wait, hope others move to another server or you move to another server.

I can log in whenever I want with no queue on my server.

What's the deal with the rvr scenarios? On my witch hunter I wait maybe 5 minutes and bam, rvr pops... on my elf and on a very populated server where I play a squig herder I have never been able to get into an rvr (and this is like, Friday and Saturday night). I got tired of waiting after about 30 mins and went back to my witch hunter.

WoW has had 4 years to continue to develop and add content into the game since it's release. WAR's PVP system puts WoW to shame, and while niether of the games' PVE systems is very exciting, WAR PVE is much easier to log in and jump into while waiting to get into scenarios. PQs also enable people to attain gear without running instances 5-6 times trying to get an item to drop, and the most time consuming part of that in WoW is forming a group. WoW's world PVP is nothing but ganking people trying to do quests, and arenas are a flat out joke. WAR's world PVP system is very entertaining and everyone is very active in it. Keep battles are just plain epic.

WoW is what it is after 4 years of polish. They didn't even address paladin talent tree issues until 2 years into the game, mind you those talent trees were put into place on release and not during the beta. You need to give WAR some time to develop before making any harsh judgments.

As for me, I love this game and it has me hooked and I will stick around to see what develops. Lets hope the developers don't screw this up.

Yes, I understand all of this. Hell I played WoW Since launch, so I know of all the content that didn't exist etc etc. What I am saying, is that it is perfectly fair to compare to two. As you stated a few time, you make it seem like we shouldn't do that. WoW stands as the #1 MMORPG, and as such is the measure by which all other MMORPGs need to be put against. My argument isn't that WAR isn't a good game -- its fun in its own right, my argument is soley to you in that: stop telling people not to compare the two.

I am glad you love the game and I am happy you are so bent on defending it. But let those who have problems state them. Its so odd to me in this thread that people complain about draw distance, animations, glitchy gameplay etc, then another person will quote it and say "oh that doesn't matter." Well, clearly it does matter, as that persons gameplay experience is not enjoyable and EA/Mythic need to take steps to rectify the various issues people are facing. And Yes -- oh lord, I understand they will in time. The point is let the people who have complaints voice them as they make the game better in the end. Jeez.

Yes, I understand all of this. Hell I played WoW Since launch, so I know of all the content that didn't exist etc etc. What I am saying, is that it is perfectly fair to compare to two. As you stated a few time, you make it seem like we shouldn't do that. WoW stands as the #1 MMORPG, and as such is the measure by which all other MMORPGs need to be put against. My argument isn't that WAR isn't a good game -- its fun in its own right, my argument is soley to you in that: stop telling people not to compare the two.

I am glad you love the game and I am happy you are so bent on defending it. But let those who have problems state them. Its so odd to me in this thread that people complain about draw distance, animations, glitchy gameplay etc, then another person will quote it and say "oh that doesn't matter." Well, clearly it does matter, as that persons gameplay experience is not enjoyable and EA/Mythic need to take steps to rectify the various issues people are facing. And Yes -- oh lord, I understand they will in time. The point is let the people who have complaints voice them as they make the game better in the end. Jeez.

I never told anyone not to compare the two. People are not just voicing complaints about the game, they are comparing these problems to WoW which has obviously had a lot more time to crush bugs and balance issues. They just need some time, and if the developers don't do their jobs the game will die and I definitely won't play it.

witch hunter just owns a lot more :D

Well witch hunter DOES own (I've been surprised by coming in #1 for damage output nearly every time) but I want to be able to rvr with my alts too. Is there an easy way to get my elf over to human lands? I haven't found a big central city or anything yet, is that to come? I swear if the game is just a linear bunch of encampments I'm going to go nuts!

I never told anyone not to compare the two. People are not just voicing complaints about the game, they are comparing these problems to WoW which has obviously had a lot more time to crush bugs and balance issues. They just need some time, and if the developers don't do their jobs the game will die and I definitely won't play it.

For sake of argument, we should compare this MMO that has actually made nods to being a WoW competitor, to, what alternative popular MMO? :p

I don't think I would even call it a WoW competitor. For the people who actually like playing WoW, this game isn't going to steal them away--it's polished, they have established characters, guilds, etc. Mythics subscriber base will come from people who want something fresh, and I think there are probably enough of those people to keep the game going for a while.

Well witch hunter DOES own (I've been surprised by coming in #1 for damage output nearly every time) but I want to be able to rvr with my alts too. Is there an easy way to get my elf over to human lands? I haven't found a big central city or anything yet, is that to come? I swear if the game is just a linear bunch of encampments I'm going to go nuts!

Flight masters are in the war camps. Talk to him and you can fly over to Empire, Dwarf of Elf.

For sake of argument, we should compare this MMO that has actually made nods to being a WoW competitor, to, what alternative popular MMO? :p

Guild Wars? EVE Online? Final Fantasy XI? There are other MMOs out there. Also, there is no argument because I never said it shouldn't be compared to WoW, quit putting words in my mouth.

I don't think I would even call it a WoW competitor. For the people who actually like playing WoW, this game isn't going to steal them away--it's polished, they have established characters, guilds, etc. Mythics subscriber base will come from people who want something fresh, and I think there are probably enough of those people to keep the game going for a while.

I really don't know how people stick to an MMO for extended periods of time in the first place, whether it be WoW, City of Heroes, Everquest, whatever. I find all of them to get boring once you reach the level cap and once you've experienced most/all of the content once. I'll play WoW again when WotLK comes out because it feels new and interesting to play the game with brand new content. But once I've seen and done it (probably in a month or two) I'll cancel my account again.

I wouldn't sit around and play Oblivion for years after I've completed the game, why should I do it with an MMO? Games in which the entertainment value lies in the progression of the content will always lose their appeal once one experiences it. You might get an urge to play it again in a few months or years, but even then you'll quickly be reminded of why you stopped in the first place. The problem with WAR is that I was reminded of why I stopped playing MMOs in general after only a week of playing the open beta. I'm confident that I will not have the same reaction to WotLK.

Back