Warhammer Online Thread!

From what I've played so far... it's the closest thing to a WoW clone I've ever played, at least when it comes to graphics, UI, and gameplay.
Wait, scratch that, I think the graphics are worse than WoW.

Can't really say if it's a bad game yet or not though. Think I've grown out of standard MMOs...

I'm guessing its because your supposed to have huge battles, and a ton of people on the same screen with high-polys and high-res textures would equal terrible performance.

Of course I understand that, but even WoW a 5yr old game engine has big PvP battles, I know not quite the amount of people WAR will have on screen, but again WoW is 5yrs old technology and WAR looks almost carbon copy the same effects nothing better at all really graphics wise.

I would have thought 5yrs later MMOPRG technology should be better ?

From what I've played so far... it's the closest thing to a WoW clone I've ever played, at least when it comes to graphics, UI, and gameplay.

Can't really say if it's a bad game yet or not though. Think I've grown out of standard MMOs...

Amazing a game engine that is 5 yrs newer than WoW is actually no better or maybe even worse :rolleyes: Look at EverQuest 1 in 99 and then just 5 yrs later EverQuest2 in 04 and the graphics are like light years apart. But WoW and WAR do not look that much different at all, I just don't get it

Amazing a game engine that is 5 yrs newer than WoW is actually no better or maybe even worse :rolleyes: Look at EverQuest 1 in 99 and then just 5 yrs later EverQuest2 in 04 and the graphics are like light years apart. But WoW and WAR do not look that much different at all, I just don't get it

I'm guessing its because your supposed to have huge battles, and a ton of people on the same screen with high-polys and high-res textures would equal terrible performance.

I really do not get how people say the graphics are the same. WAR looks so much better to me, characters are higher detail and the environments look better. Aside from the fact that you have to force FSAA in the Nvidia Control Panel, I can't see an area where WAR is worse.

To other Elders.. how the hell do we play with everyone else on "Helbrass" ?

My current client can see Deathsword and Warpstone but do I have to change some .cfg file or something?

It's been mentioned before, but while WoW itself may be 5 yrs old, the Engine has seen updates.

Yeah and EQ had graphics updates before EQ2 came out, but Ill assume he's ignoring that and looking at the old screenshots from 99. There haven't been too many leaps and bounds in graphics detail in my personal opinion in quite some time, not like you used to see. Maybe it's just that I gave up on graphic quality as my only measure of a game.

Plus, I don't remember EQ2s engine running very well for me, and people still complain that modern day hardware can't run the game maxxed out without hitching.

Hmmm....... I'm unsure I tried rolling a chaos Zealot, and didn't like the class plus the starting zone was too full. Then I went with a Sorceress. It's fairly interesting, and the pvp was okay (I just hit level 8). So, I'm not sure whether I'm going to play or not yet. Combat just seems so slow......

Graphics do not equal gameplay. However you should know that not all the textures are in the game. You are essentially playing a client that is under 10gb on what would be medium setttings. The final game is 15gb.

The important thing here is to not compare warhammer to WoW. It's a different game and it's not meant to be like WoW. Most people don't like change and naturally resist new things they have to learn or things that don't work like something they are used to. If you go into it with this kind of attitude you won't like it.

I've been reading around and I think everyone is getting this. I got to 97% and got an error after 4 hours of downloading the patch. And even if you do get in the servers are all lagged to fuck apparently. So much for getting to try out the beta today.

Essentially that is what open beta is for. Stress testing the servers to reveal any issues that may arise before launch. It's not a "all bugs are fixed and this is a free trial". They are finding and fixing bugs and determining final server cap numbers for lag free gameplay.
I know those of you not on the elder beta servers don't see it but warhammer has changed alot lately. Alot of content and patches can go in, in a very short amount of time.
If you have issues with slow downloads from fileplanet it's because the servers there are getting hammered. I download the open beta client last week and fileplanet maxed out my cable connection like nothing else does.

45 minutes of play was all I needed to decide this game isn't for me. It moves at a snails pace, and I dont mean graphics. Combat is slow, experience is slow, leveling is SLOW. No I dont want to rocket through the levels but after almost an hour I expect to be higher than level 2

Then you didn't play the game. I farted around for an hour doing some quests, scenerios, public quests, exploring and I find I gained 5 levels of XP and 4 reknown levels without even trying. Keep in mind that the game does't have as many levels as other MMO's, maybe only by half. So even if you gain levels slower you are gaining power just as fast. Don't worry about the levels. Just play the game.

I also don't see the slow combat. It's fast for me.

I played around for a few hours, fun so far! WAR seems extremely similar to WOW, although I'm hoping the PVP will set it apart. I am already soooo busy the next month basically so I doubt I'll have much time to play, oh well :(

To those saying the leveling moves too slow --- I think the devs may have slashed the XP gains by a bit to keep too many people from hitting the level cap during the beta too quickly. Just a thought, I have no proof of this.

I preordered the game not knowing exactly what to expect, but knowing that I definitely need a change from WoW (at least from the world if not the gameplay). No other MMO out there really appeals to me at the moment except for WAR.

Having said all that, I have been waiting at least 12 hours on my Fileplanet (what a joke) download to finish, and it looks like it's got a good 8 hours left.

Sucks to see so many people having technical issues with their clients.

Within three levels, my warrior priest had a HoT spell, unlike my paladin in WoW. Almost four years and waiting on the expansion to deliver one. That's all I needed to say I like the game so far (lol).

I was surprised at the lack of graphics options, basically just a "low, medium and high" kinda thing, but I like the questing system, especially Public Quests. No need to beg for a group, just show up and start hacking on things.

Okay in further, there is definately gonna be some fun in RvR pending that people actually play this game. The combat is moderately paced, but the classes are unique.

For example my Sorc.

You use magic and gain Dark Power (100 Max) at various levels you get various buffs..... at a cost.

For example 100 Dark Power gives you a +50% crit chance, however it also gives you a +50% backlash on spells chance. So you need to dump your dark power otherwise you'll kill yourself. Reminds me of a shadowpriest in a way.

You get a spell to dump your DP and at first I thought this was going to be a finisher, but it's not you use it tatically so you dont take too much damage from backlash.

So far all I can say is that I never played WoW because I can't do the Click-Wait type of gameplay. SWG was my first MMO and there was no difference in that and everything else at the time, so no biggie.

I played Age of Conan, (being driven from that by developer ineptitude) and after AoC's combat and graphics I aboud I can play something like WAR. I feel I can't go back, I know the interaction in AoC is more or less a facade but it feels more engaging.

I definitely think WAR has excellent graphics for its style, especially over WoW's which I won't say I hate, but could never ever get into.

I think the gore and realistic graphics of AoC have ruined me personally. Say what you will about the game itself and it's lame ass developer, but for me and a lot of others the combat and graphics have pushed the bar.

I may be goaded into playing WAR with friends, but depending on how my time in beta pans out, I may pass completely unless the mass-pvp thing blows my skirt clean up and off.

THIS GAME ROCKS but I suffer from choppyness when jumping in diff places or just spinning around fast, or just randomly choppyness. lol especially in RVR and im a healer, my party dies and cusses me out, cant be stalling during battle, please help me, i cant afford a new pc but my specs are. 3.4 ghz intel, 3 gigs memory, 8600gts, windows xp, what should i upgrade? (my cpu cant go any higher on this mobo)

THIS GAME ROCKS but I suffer from choppyness when jumping in diff places or just spinning around fast, or just randomly choppyness. lol especially in RVR and im a healer, my party dies and cusses me out, cant be stalling during battle, please help me, i cant afford a new pc but my specs are. 3.4 ghz intel, 3 gigs memory, 8600gts, windows xp, what should i upgrade? (my cpu cant go any higher on this mobo)

Video card

WoW has it right on the money when it comes to a lot of things like UI, it's evolved over the years to become what the players want, to make WAR's different would probably make it worse and I'd rather have something copied and good, than new and different but functionally broken.

The graphics maybe or may not be worse, but in all fairness I've never seen 100vs100 players in combat at the same time with WoW, where as WAR players report that such encounters are very playable. Games like planetside look worse again, but theres no where else you can have a 300vs300vs300 battle.

It's a trade off, if you dont want to make it, and the extra few polys are such a big deal, I suggest you go play something like Age of Conan where 48v48 siege battles arent even possible on the highest end rigs.

Actually I believe the game engine that is used is "Emergent’s Gamebryo Element. The game engine was also used to create EA Mythic’s critically acclaimed MMORPG Dark Age of Camelot"

So the engine itself is at least as old as 2001, it was also modded to make Oblivion, one of the best looking "open" world games to date, there's still few games that can beat down oblivion for graphical prowess.

The fact is that most engines can render decent graphics if you make your models high polygon and use real time light rendering, and use normal maps and use massive texture sizes, etc etc, but no one can run that in a battle with over 200 people involved. The game is built to a certain spec, it's not lack of skills thats the reason for all this, it's merely been designed that way to allow large scale battles so everyone has a playable frame rate.

The graphics maybe or may not be worse, but in all fairness I've never seen 100vs100 players in combat at the same time with WoW, where as WAR players report that such encounters are very playable. Games like planetside look worse again, but theres no where else you can have a 300vs300vs300 battle.

thats one of the huge issues you need to look at, its not a max of 40 people and some random MoB on the screen. its 100 V 100 with effects flying everywhere + npcs + structures.

inclusions of lower end PCs in this enviroment is what mythic was shooting for, too many Daoc battles of 100 v 100 became a frigging slide show years ago... FPS of like 0.2.. not kidding

before PW, we were crashing the zone/servers in a massive stress test like every 15 mins to an hour, pure RvR related. 80 v80 battles in T4 zones.. they were doing patches at like 1 am est to fix these issues. its so improved I can't even begin to tell you how much

To other Elders.. how the hell do we play with everyone else on "Helbrass" ?

My current client can see Deathsword and Warpstone but do I have to change some .cfg file or something?

ya, edit your patch.cfg with this info for the nromal servers.. save the old one ;)

<PatchConfig>
<Config>
<ResourceModules>
<Module name="http" />
<Module name="login">
<PreAuth />
</Module>
</ResourceModules>
<PatcherProduct>
<Product name="EAMythic Patcher" description="EAMythic Patcher" prodfile="patcher.prod">
<manifestrepos>
<repo url="http://patch.warol.net:1380/warpatch2/live/patcher/manifest/" />
</manifestrepos>
</Product>
</PatcherProduct>
<MainProduct>
<Product name="Warhammer Beta" description="Warhammer: Age of Reckoning Beta " prodfile="warhammer-beta.prod">
<manifestrepos>
<repo url="http://patch.warol.net:1380/warpatch2/live/warhammer/manifest/" />
</manifestrepos>
</Product>
</MainProduct>
</Config>
</PatchConfig>

thats one of the huge issues you need to look at, its not a max of 40 people and some random MoB on the screen. its 100 V 100 with effects flying everywhere + npcs + structures.

inclusions of lower end PCs in this enviroment is what mythic was shooting for, too many Daoc battles of 100 v 100 became a frigging slide show years ago... FPS of like 0.2.. not kidding

before PW, we were crashing the zone/servers in a massive stress test like every 15 mins to an hour, pure RvR related. 80 v80 battles in T4 zones.. they were doing patches at like 1 am est to fix these issues. its so improved I can't even begin to tell you how much

I am amazed at how smoothly WAR runs large epic battles... 70 vs 70 battle today didnt even feel like it lagwise... I felt like it was still just a 1 on 1 in other games.

I've been in beta for quite some time but the addition of all the open beta people really adds more fun for me. My warrior priest has never been so deadly. It's quite fun to run into a group of 3-4 destruction players and have them all wonder why you aren't dying yet. Initially I was really skeptical about buying another MMO, especially one that I wrote off as a WoW clone. But after playing that shitty MMO known as Age of Conan, I'm having a blast.

My main gripe right now is WAR and ATI cards, specifically AA/AF settings. I really hope Mythic fixes this because the game looks a lot better without the jaggies. Add in the fact that there's still that annoying texture blurring problem (for everyone pretty much) and it's just annoying. Still managed to have fun last night.

The game is pure awesome.

PQ's awesome.

Open field RvR - awesome.

Scenarios ( a bit too log to queue into) -- but otherwise - awesome.

A BIG thumbs up from me so far. My wife hates the game. I played all day Sunday.

The game has this problem which annoys the hell out of me:
If you look at a player or something that is moving (such as running) from a distance, their animation isn't smooth. It looks stuttery and it is very distracting. It isn't a frame rate issue, but something with how they animate the models from a distance.

If you look at a player or something that is moving (such as running) from a distance, their animation isn't smooth. It looks stuttery and it is very distracting.

Yeah, that irked me too. It is a level of detail problem where they kick to a lower model when the distance is further out to save your video card from having to display polygons that you will never see. All games use that trick, but most make sure their animations are synced up with each model complexity.

This weekend, I decided to try a different playtype to see which I liked best. I went with the Dwarf Tinker. It was ok, but kind of meh. I don't know if it was that character type, or how nearly every other dwarf was a tinker as well, so when boss time came in the PQs, there was no tanks or healers to be found, so we were all getting slaughtered. We pretty much owned the battlegrounds though. The orks never had a chance because of all the bullets raining down on them.

In all, I'm thinking that I'll stick with a High Elf sword dancer. I like the stances/balances and the area they are in. It isn't as crampt and confusing feeling as the dwarf undercity area. Next weekend, I think I'll kick through an Empire Mage, just to be sure.

Just two questions about this game:

1. Is it like all the other mmo's? What i mean is, kill, get XP, level, get higher level spell of xyz, rinse repeat to get the higher level spell of xzy, etc. et al?

2. Is there solo content up to higher levels or is it forced grouping?

is it just me or does Warhammer look just like HellGate London

Umm... not one bit. Not sure what aspect of the game you're referring to, but if you are talking about aesthetics, it may be because most are used to the more cartoony style of WoW. I did notice that WAR looks a lot more dark and serious aesthetically but that was expected (and I like it a bit more).

I would have to agree. Graphics are awful for this time and age. WoW can get away with it since they have awesome design; it was also released in 200x. This game though, eh I can't stand the graphics. There is not even an ingame AA and maxed out textures still look quite shitty.

Aside from that, gameplay was pretty decent. I thought that the ranger animations were pretty bad, specially with that first skill that you get. PVP was pretty fun, felt a little gay at times and there were issues with it that I found.

Overall, I do not think I will want to pay $15/mo for this product. Graphics are not up to par, coming from recent MMO's such at AOC and LOTRO. Gameplay is also missing essentials elements which would make it enjoyable to me.

Just two questions about this game:

1. Is it like all the other mmo's? What i mean is, kill, get XP, level, get higher level spell of xyz, rinse repeat to get the higher level spell of xzy, etc. et al?

2. Is there solo content up to higher levels or is it forced grouping?

1. Yes. The only MMO that I can think of that doesn't have this mechanic is EvE but that game is definitely an acquired taste.

2. Yes, but they made the game really easy to group up with the open party system. Basically a solo person can make their party open so that anyone can join in for quests, RVR or whatever. You even get a pop-up telling you how many open parties are in the area. You can solo your heart out but there are sometimes you're going to want a group.

ok thanks.

I swore to myself not to ever subscribing to another mmo again unless it a) has henchmen like guildwars to make groups and b) that you progress only in order to aquire new spells/combos that do exactly the same as before just a little more powerful (because it simply makes any kind of PvP too based on level). So i guess i'll pass.

^^ Are you kidding me? Leveling couldn't be easier in this game. Go to a zone, load up on quests, go to map, locate the quest spots......go do them.

I was level 6 with only 3 and a half hours played, that's with breaks/log-offs......

When your bored go to the public quests, load up on xp by tagging things.

level 6 after 3 and a half hours? Like i said...sloooowwwwwwww leveling process. The start of any mmo should be fast, and show LOTS of progress, this is the time that they are going to lock you in. If your bored with the game from the start why keep playing?

I've been in beta for quite some time but the addition of all the open beta people really adds more fun for me. My warrior priest has never been so deadly. It's quite fun to run into a group of 3-4 destruction players and have them all wonder why you aren't dying yet. Initially I was really skeptical about buying another MMO, especially one that I wrote off as a WoW clone. But after playing that shitty MMO known as Age of Conan, I'm having a blast.

My main gripe right now is WAR and ATI cards, specifically AA/AF settings. I really hope Mythic fixes this because the game looks a lot better without the jaggies. Add in the fact that there's still that annoying texture blurring problem (for everyone pretty much) and it's just annoying. Still managed to have fun last night.

lol yeah, ive wondered why i keep getting my ass handed to me in the small rvr player scenarios.

level 6 after 3 and a half hours? Like i said...sloooowwwwwwww leveling process. The start of any mmo should be fast, and show LOTS of progress, this is the time that they are going to lock you in. If your bored with the game from the start why keep playing?

In contrast, Age of Conan was fast to level in but they higher I got, the more bored I got since the end game was lacking (and still is 4 months later from what I've seen). Why keep playing if there's nothing to look forward to?

WAR has plenty of content in all tiers so I'm confused to why someone would need to rush through levels. Of course there's always people that do this in MMOs so I'm not surprised at all. *shrug*

Hearing yourself ding is not what makes it fun. Don't even look at your level. Just play the game. If the "fun" part of the game was hearing myself ding every 10 minutes I wouldn't play it. In other MMO's you have to level fast to get to the good stuff. In War the good stuff is there from level 1.
There are only 40 levels. So if reaching 40 in War takes as long as hitting 70 in WoW each level in War will take longer. It's all really just an illusion.
Just play the game. There is so much you can do as a new player, more than any other MMO. You can PvP from level 1 and hold your own. You are contributing to the realm points for your zone and the upper tiers from level 1. You can fight for battlefield objectives from level 1. You can do it all from the start of the game!
You can certainly get higher than 6 after 3 hours. But whos counting? I'm having too much fun killing people to care.

And once again, to those complaining about graphics. THEY AREN'T ALL IN!!! Your beta client is about 5gb short of what retail is. You are only playing on medium settings. Animations are also being worked on.

I cant tell if this is just trolling or what. Its just silly to say it has to be fast. WoW was pretty slow the first time you play through it too. I've run through the WAR newbie areas a ton of times between the different closed and open betas, and it works the same.

Look, you can log in at level 1, get the scenario quest for Nordenwatch or whatever, play 1 scenario, turn in the quest, and bam you are level 3 and RR2 99% to 3. I leveled my last character (PW+) to 9 entirely in scenarios and open RvR. It took an afternoon, was fun as hell, my RR stayed equal to my level, and with the repeatable quests I had a ton of cash. Its something you can enjoy no matter your level; when leveling comes its just a bonus.

WAR isnt a game to rush through. The content at the end is the same as the content in the beginning. PvP. Its not like WoW, with PvE content from 1-70 then PvP becomes available.

I cant tell if this is just trolling or what. Its just silly to say it has to be fast. WoW was pretty slow the first time you play through it too. I've run through the WAR newbie areas a ton of times between the different closed and open betas, and it works the same.

Look, you can log in at level 1, get the scenario quest for Nordenwatch or whatever, play 1 scenario, turn in the quest, and bam you are level 3 and RR2 99% to 3. I leveled my last character (PW+) to 9 entirely in scenarios and open RvR. It took an afternoon, was fun as hell, my RR stayed equal to my level, and with the repeatable quests I had a ton of cash. Its something you can enjoy no matter your level; when leveling comes its just a bonus.

WAR isnt a game to rush through. The content at the end is the same as the content in the beginning. PvP. Its not like WoW, with PvE content from 1-70 then PvP becomes available.

No its not a troll post, I've been playing mmo's since EQ1 was in beta. People are asking opinions, my opinion is WAR is slow as shit. My opinion differs from your's, get over yourself. Not everyone is going to like this game.

Hearing yourself ding is not what makes it fun. Don't even look at your level. Just play the game. If the "fun" part of the game was hearing myself ding every 10 minutes I wouldn't play it.

Seeing progress is part of what makes it fun, whether that be through leveling, aquireing new items, armor etc.

Why is that no matter what the game is people that love it try and convince people that dont how wrong they are. To me the game is slow, mind numbingly slow, combat is sluggish etc.

I dont like it I gave MY opinion. I'm glad people do like it, I hope enough people like it to give WoW some competition.

For those of you who say leveling is slow, remember max level is 40, not 70 or 80. You will reach max level in WAR faster than WOW. Renown to 80 is another story all together, that is something you will have to earn.

For those of you who say graphics are better in WoW, what game are you looking at? Check this for a comparison, and remember all artwork from WoW is stolen from WAR.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6872/warvswow6teik3.jpg

Back