WannaCrypt Makes an Easy Case for Linux

Not even close dude, it makes logical sense if you think about it for a bit. Seems to me then you have not read any dumb posts because the one you quoted of mine makes good sense if you think about it. Please, go ahead, give me a good reason why this could not be done?

Umm... No. What you said doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and he was correct in saying it was a pretty dumb post. You just held Linux responsible for Windows' shortcomings, and then marked that as being a negative. Can't you at least sense the craziness in that logic?

Umm... No. What you said doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and he was correct in saying it was a pretty dumb post. You just held Linux responsible for Windows' shortcomings, and then marked that as being a negative. Can't you at least sense the craziness in that logic?

You mean the Gov isn't going to pay for the rock chip in my windshield and a new set of tires... I mean damn it man I drive on their roads. lol :)

What kind of comment is this? You don't see how Linux makes it easier? Seriously?

I can set my deployments to a single batch file or bash script. Execute that baby and walk away. In 5 minutes, that deployment would have all of it's updates, all of its software installs, user accounts ready and permissions set.

Plus, you have tools such as Puppet or Ansible that you can use - both of which have web UIs you can play with to make management simpler.

We do the same thing with Windows at work, it takes longer than five minutes. We've been deploying and maintaining Windows at scale for decades now, it's not anything new or difficult for us, millage always varies. Ultimately it's all going to boil down to hardware and software support. You'd have a hard time taking away Outlook and Excel from our users. Screaming about how horrible Office is won't change too many minds unless there's a replacement that's virtually the same.

Really I never expected MS to do as well with their ad revenue as they have;
FY17 Q3 "Search advertising revenue increased $81 million or 5%."
FY17 Q2 "Search advertising revenue increased $177 million or 12%."
FY17 Q1 "Search advertising revenue increased $409 million or 40%. "
FY16 Q4 "Search advertising revenue increased $1.7 billion or 46%. "
FY16 Q3 "Search advertising revenue increased $538 million or 55%."
FY16 Q2 "Search advertising revenue, excluding traffic acquisition costs, increased $109 million or 17%"
FY16 Q1 "Search advertising revenue, excluding traffic acquisition costs, increased $127 million or 23%"

So based on that since the launch of Windows 10... their Advertising $ has spiked to say the least.

It should be interesting to see how it changes Windows development. I know I'm a MS hater so my pointing to recent reports of their enterprise group policy ad tracking setting not working sounds like more of the same coming from a MS hater. I may be willing to agree that could be some form of massive F up error type deal that they may well fix (if it effects more then just one specific build that was tested or something). Still I would have said the same thing you where saying a few years back... Enterprise windows drives windows development. Now though I'm thinking MS might be drunk on that add money, and if enterprise clients really aren't driving any of that revenue it does make you wonder how things may change.

Then of course there is the Google angle... everyone knows they have been toying with how to push Android to desktop mode, and how to expand ChromeOS. There have been rumors of a full on Google Desktop OS for a few years now. I would have to think if MS keeps gaining 1-2 billion a year in ad revenue from their OS search and ad tie ins.... they're almost begging Google to go after their Consumer device desktop market.

Bing must really be catching on. I still make duckduckgo.com my default search engine.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
You mean the Gov isn't going to pay for the rock chip in my windshield and a new set of tires... I mean damn it man I drive on their roads. lol :)

Hardly the same thing but, I am sure you are aware of that. LOL :D Well, I guess when you using free, you get what you pay for.

Nope, he was wrong and what I said make excellent sense, you just choose not to see it. The problem is, you are seeing it as a Linux vs Windows thing well I am seeing it as a people vs malware thing and how it could help be prevented. Oh well, you go dude. :D

Bing must really be catching on. I still make duckduckgo.com my default search engine.

Or they are making a killing on data collection. ;) I doubt its bing outside of the forced Cortana searches anyway... the numbers for 2 quarters from now might be interesting. We'll see if Windows -s sells based on the ad revenue... seeing as it forces Edge and Bing.

Or they are making a killing on data collection. ;) I doubt its bing outside of the forced Cortana searches anyway... the numbers for 2 quarters from now might be interesting. We'll see if Windows -s sells based on the ad revenue... seeing as it forces Edge and Bing.

I wasn't aware that Cortana has advertising. I know that Bing, like Google search, does have advertising displayed. Do you have a link describing this? I'd be interested in reading up on it. Thanks!

Well, I pretty much use Bing exclusively and I am cool with that. I used to use dogpile.com back in day hey day of the internet and then Google for a while. Now I just use Bing and cannot stand Yahoo for search.

Nope, he was wrong and what I said make excellent sense, you just choose not to see it. The problem is, you are seeing it as a Linux vs Windows thing well I am seeing it as a people vs malware thing and how it could help be prevented. Oh well, you go dude. :D

Cool... but we sort of did explain why its both not possible and also a silly line of thought. Its not possible because the majority of the internet is encrypted, and unless your giving your ISPs the keys to your HTTPS its a no go. Its silly because well... suggesting one OS should babysit another just is. Although you may have a point, perhaps Linux should look out for the special kid on the playground.

In all serious mode though... Linux has plenty of server level anti virus packages to scan for windows viruses. For companies with their own servers that support Windows clients they are common place. To protect the internet... its a question of privacy. Privacy leads to encryption use... which makes scanning for viruses in the .exe you downloaded from BestSofwarezEva.CN via HTTPS pretty much impossible.

What kind of comment is this? You don't see how Linux makes it easier? Seriously?

I can set my deployments to a single batch file or bash script. Execute that baby and walk away. In 5 minutes, that deployment would have all of it's updates, all of its software installs, user accounts ready and permissions set.

Plus, you have tools such as Puppet or Ansible that you can use - both of which have web UIs you can play with to make management simpler.

But this isn't anywhere near the entire story.

look, from a corporate or government mindset, they really don't care how easy or quick something is.

Look, some IT manager says they want to go with Linux on the desktops and the big shot says "how many guys do we have trained to manage Linux? And didn't we pay two guys money for them to get their MCSE? And is Visual Studio Professional running on Linux now? How does my HR guys get new guys on-board that have the required skills, were going to need more to go on than "candidate needs to be proficient with Linux". Gosh we just spent a shit ton of money for MS Education services access ....

And man, if I am a government contracting company and one of my guys says we should push the government customer towards Linux cause it's faster and easier to manage. That manager is going to say "Are you crazy? we'd end up loosing slots for job positions! We're trying to grow positions we can charge for, not loose them!".

I wasn't aware that Cortana has advertising. I know that Bing, like Google search, does have advertising displayed. Do you have a link describing this? I'd be interested in reading up on it. Thanks!

Cortana has search suggestions but not any advertising that I experienced.

Edit: Oops, Cortana was off but is now turned on. However, I still had not experienced any advertising in my searches, unless I specify a web search, of course.

Cortana has search suggestions but not any advertising that I experienced.

Edit: Oops, Cortana was off but is now turned on. However, I still had not experienced any advertising in my searches, unless I specify a web search, of course.

Thanks for the info. I don't use Cortana or Bing so it has little impact on me. I wonder how they got this by the EU? If the EU doesn't have a problem with it it must be okay?

In some circles, you will not work without it, and alternatives are not allowed. You have to know your clientele. My client insists on Security+ or better and without it, you don't work period. That is only one of their more esoteric requirements. There are many others.

The culminated aggregate of all these requirements is that I have less competition for work and as such, I remain employable while those who do not meet these criteria don't have a chance, and those who fail to keep up, are shown the door.

Yes, I know it's unavoidable in certain scenarios. In itself this fact is downright ludicrous!

As a result you have a small business with one ADDC server for 10 PC's just so they can run Exchange! Resulting in a single major point of network failure should the server go down with no redundancy as the small business cannot afford another server due to licencing/hardware costs.

I get all these businesses now and shift them to the cloud, the possibility of the internet going down is an issue in both scenario's, may as well remove one problem from the equation, and thus far I've never had an issue. In the case of software running under TS, well....You're stuffed.

In itself ADDC is not necessarily a good thing considering all scenarios.

Heatlesssun believes Windows only tech's are God's....

....I believe they're simply sheltered.

Reactions: Qchan
like this

They also tend to be aged 30-40. lol

Anyone older learned how to handle Unix and they can pick up Linux pretty quick.

Anyone younger was taught how to deal with nix servers and likely has more then just played around with it.

I was reading about Microsofts move of all the windows code to Git the other day... and read that they where having a hard time getting new MS engineers to do anything the "microsoft" way. MS has to retrain their new hires.

Reactions: Qchan
like this

Not at all. But when it comes to PCs, Windows users will spend a lot on money on stuff. For instance, have you ever laid a separate circuit in your house after you bought it to power a PC? I have two independent circuit in my office just to run my PC hardware. Fortunately the house and breaker were built to do that, as crappy as my house is by American standards. But that was well over $1k USD to have that done. Just to keep the power going.

Not at all. But when it comes to PCs, Windows users will spend a lot on money on stuff. For instance, have you ever laid a separate circuit in your house after you bought it to power a PC? I have two independent circuit in my office just to run my PC hardware. Fortunately the house and breaker were built to do that, as crappy as my house is by American standards. But that was well over $1k USD to have that done. Just to keep the power going.

And you assume Linux users don't like to spend money on hardware?!

You're an odd one, aren't you? How the hell do you rationalise that line of thought? My workshop at home has 16 power points running their own circuit and even breaker board/safety switch to power my Linux hardware.

I have never seen him say as such but, I certainly have seen you look down your nose at others around here. As soon as you say you no longer have anything to learn, it is time to find a new line of work. (Yes, you have said as such here.) Me? I like the type of work that I do but, at the end of the day, it is just a job and I have other things I enjoy doing as well that have nothing to do with it.

why would you need two power circuits? what kind of hardware are you running? standard residential is what, 15A? derating being 20% for constant load, 12A, 120V.. that's about 1.4kW. What systems of yours (x2) draws that much power?

I have never seen him say as such but, I certainly have seen you look down your nose at others around here. As soon as you say you no longer have anything to learn, it is time to find a new line of work. (Yes, you have said as such here.) Me? I like the type of work that I do but, at the end of the day, it is just a job and I have other things I enjoy doing as well that have nothing to do with it.

I believe that as a tech you should be proficient in any OS, not just Windows. I believe that the modern practice of 'Windows only techs' is a joke similar to the handing out of automatic transmission only licences.

If that's judgemental, I don't care.

why would you need two power circuits? what kind of hardware are you running? standard residential is what, 15A? derating being 20% for constant load, 12A, 120V.. that's about 1.4kW. What systems of yours (x2) draws that much power?

Uh oh, he we go! ;) :D The hardware he is running is pretty significant and the last thing you would want to do is butt up against your power ceiling.

Absolutely bloody nothing! He seems to spend money for the sake of spending money!

I believe that as a tech you should be proficient in any OS, not just Windows. I believe that the modern practice of 'Windows only techs' is a joke similar to the handing out of automatic transmission only licences.

If that's judgemental, I don't care.

Well, I know you do not care but then again, you have accused folks of being only this tech or only that tech when you have no idea what we do on a daily basis or even what we know. Then when we say what we do know, you call us a liar and do not have a clue or that we are only this or only that. The only loss is on your end though so, enjoy.

I run an extension from the neighbours outdoor plug on his garage. Don't tell em. lol

Jealous much? Also, of course he is not at his power ceiling with two circuits available, DUH! :D

No, not really.

w160h3v.jpg

Uh oh, he we go! ;) :D The hardware he is running is pretty significant and the last thing you would want to do is butt up against your power ceiling.

Indeed. The reason I added the circuits is because I started tripping the breaker constantly 10 years ago and the additional circuits were there. One is split off with an adjoining bedroom. Seemed like a better idea to spend about $1k than burn the house down.

As much as you and others criticize me for buying things that aren't well supported under Linux, yep.

na your rig is sweat heatle. would take it off your hands but windows wouldn't last more then a few min in mine.

We do laugh at your VR purchase only because you use it to try and end every argument. :) Ya but but VR.

No I don't care about Linux VR support I admit it... I wear glasses, the few times I tried it out it was cool but was hella uncumfy and made me wanna puke. Not fun they can keep it. Sales numbers seem to be pointing to the technology dying... now the industry looks to be getting all excited about AR instead. I would love for the tech to get better and for one day be able to happily buy into VR... for now its just a DOA Toy, hold on to your packaging it might have a good collectors oddity value down the road.

Indeed. The reason I added the circuits is because I started tripping the breaker constantly 10 years ago and the additional circuits were there. One is split off with an adjoining bedroom. Seemed like a better idea to spend about $1k than burn the house down.

Before the days of wifi on everything I ran RJ-45 wall plates into every room in my house and connected them all to a nice clean bix board in my basement. Does that win me some arguing clout ?

I joke... yes running more power if you had a shitty setup was a good idea. Tripping breakers is bad. Still not seeing how it strengthens your argument. Which sounds to me... boils down to. My stuff is better draws more power and I have the sweetest setup... therefor I'm a real computer user and your not. Its a strange line of reasoning.... wait Donald is that you ?

Tripping breakers is bad. Still not seeing how it strengthens your argument.

You have no idea how much power my sig rig can draw say something like this. 1k under load and overclocked is easy. I had the circuits to draw two and did it. LOL! You guys are arguing with me over crappy Windows updates and I'm measuring power draw so I don't blow shit up. That's probably why we some disagreements on things.

You have no idea how much power my sig rig can draw say something like this. 1k under load and overclocked is easy. I had the circuits to draw two and did it. LOL! You guys are arguing with me over crappy Windows updates and I'm measuring power draw so I don't blow shit up. That's probably why we some disagreements on things.

Nope still not seeing your point. Have installed plenty of commercial grade power drawing servers... your system is still small time. Really not seeing how its relevant to any of your arguments. Sounds fun though. I would suggest saving on the power bill and just running an extension from the camper next to yours.

Back