• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WannaCrypt Makes an Easy Case for Linux

You have stated many, many times in the past that Linux does not support the points I highlighted, now you're back peddling.

No I didn't. What I've said is why in the hell would someone spend a lot of money on a GPU if they can't fully utilize it for it's primary purpose? Just take a look at this thread for instance: https://hardforum.com/threads/new-performance-benchmark-from-unigine.1929643/. This benchmark runs on Linux. And in that thread a number of high end setups, NOT ONE person in that thread has posted a Linux benchmark. It doesn't prove anything yet speaks volumes.

In relation to 1080Ti's under Linux, as stated over and over again in the past Linux users would actually benefit massively from all the GPU power they can get considering performance drops due to API wrappers in comparison to Windows - Your generalisation that Linux users have no interest or use in 1080Ti's is quite comical to say the least.

Once again, you honestly appear to be focused on e-wang and believe that running Windows somehow makes you leet.

I've never said that Linux doesn't benefit from great hardware. Software benefits from great hardware generally. I have no idea why you keep saying I said things I never have.

Your logic is so bizarre! I don't participate in the gaming forums so I don't game?!

It's not a about you, there's just almost no participation from Linux gamers, in a forum that has a lot gamers, from Linux gamers in the gaming forums. Neither one of is going to convince gamers regardless of that they think about Windows or Linux in this thread.

I game when I get the time, real adults with jobs and children and life commitments don't get the time some appear to have to devote to countless posts on the [H] forums and gaming, that does not mean we do not enjoy gaming, that does not mean we are not interested in gaming - On the contrary the massive increase in Linux gaming support was the deciding factor for me when switching to Linux full time.

I don't have kids. And massive increase in Linux gaming. For you. The last Linux compatible game I have that become Linux compatible was Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter. From two months ago and that was one of the first VR titles I bought. If you stick to what works in Linux for gaming that's fine. There's just SO MUCH there that's not desktop Linux compatible, well, again, no reason to by two 1080 Tis for what's there.

No one is telling Linux users to adopt VR, that's a decision they can make all by themselves based around whether or not they can justify the purchase. Like myself with Windows, cost is not an issue, I could quite easily drop the money for ten of your rigs in a heartbeat and claim them on tax.

LOL! You constantly talk about the cost of Windows and say it's no problem for you to buy like $80k of hardware? You're just all over the place on it this.

For me justifying the purchase is the issue and there is no way I can justify running what I consider to be a worse operating system for the outlay of a sum of money that I don't believe Windows is worth. Furthermore, I'm not the only one that thinks Windows is overpriced as evidenced by the huge number of users on these very forums that buy possibly illegal copies of Windows off these very forums as opposed to paying full retail for Windows from an authorised MS reseller.

Ok Windows sucks. So you say you could easily spend $80k on hardware, ten Windows 10 Pro OEM licenses on Amazon in the US can be had for $1390 USD. So you can afford $80k and can't justify $1390 USD. Cool. But I have a hell of lot more spent on software on just ONE machine than $1390 that doesn't work with Linux. If you don't see the problem with your logic you're just refusing to.
 
I think some of the VR issues and motion sickness are related to sound that's out of sync with the virtual environment. If you put yourself into a virtual world and a virtual gun goes bang off to your right, it really needs to sound like it's coming from your right, the farther from correct the positional audio is ... I think it aggravates the mind. It just doesn't sound right, if fucks with the senses, motion sickness ensues.

The motion sickness issues with VR are essentially the same as any motion sickness issue. Movement that can be seen but not felt or motion that can be felt but not seen. People that get easily car or sea sick will have a lot issues with VR. However the problem goes away if you're standing in place without a moving environment even when objects are in motion in that environment.
 
No I didn't. What I've said is why in the hell would someone spend a lot of money on a GPU if they can't fully utilize it for it's primary purpose? Just take a look at this thread for instance: https://hardforum.com/threads/new-performance-benchmark-from-unigine.1929643/. This benchmark runs on Linux. And in that thread a number of high end setups, NOT ONE person in that thread has posted a Linux benchmark. It doesn't prove anything yet speaks volumes.

And you're wrong, of course. You act like Linux doesn't benefit from the addition of better hardware! Furthermore your source of factual information is based around the number of people you see running Linux frequenting gaming forums! This line of reasoning is retarded, get over gaming forums, you're nothing special.

I've never said that Linux doesn't benefit from great hardware. Software benefits from great hardware generally. I have no idea why you keep saying I said things I never have.

You're post above says the polar opposite! So either you believe that Linux does not benefit from the addition of better hardware or you somehow believe, based around some narrow minded judgement, that Linux users don't game so Linux users can't use better hardware for it's intended purpose or you somehow believe that Linux does not have the software base to make use of better hardware?! No matter which of the three scenarios play out in your meagre cerebrum, they're all bullshit! Linux does benefit from the addition of better hardware, to state otherwise is outright stupid, Linux users do game and gaming under Linux is still growing as evidenced by ~47,000 subscribers to r/linux_gaming and to state otherwise based on what you see in the gaming forum of what is essentially an enthusiast hardware site is outright stupid and furthermore Linux has plenty of gaming titles that benefit immensely from the addition of better hardware, like a 1080Ti, especially considering desired resolution/graphical settings and the fact that some Linux gaming titles utilise API wrappers - Once again, to state otherwise is outright retarded!

You do not use Linux, you are in no position to comment on the merits of Linux in relation to gaming.

It's not a about you, there's just almost no participation from Linux gamers, in a forum that has a lot gamers, from Linux gamers in the gaming forums. Neither one of is going to convince gamers regardless of that they think about Windows or Linux in this thread.

Which means nada at the end of the day! You're laying judgement on Linux gamers based on the [H]OCP gaming forum of all things! This is flat out retarded reasoning smashed to pieces by the number of users subscribing to r/linux_gaming, r/linux and r/linux_masterrace.

I don't have kids. And massive increase in Linux gaming. For you. The last Linux compatible game I have that become Linux compatible was Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter. From two months ago and that was one of the first VR titles I bought. If you stick to what works in Linux for gaming that's fine. There's just SO MUCH there that's not desktop Linux compatible, well, again, no reason to by two 1080 Tis for what's there.

Bullshit! see my post above. I have kids, a great majority of the rest of us have kids and we behave like grown adults - We game when we get the downtime, but we are still in every sense of the word PC gamers whether we run Windows or not! Once again, the underlying purpose of your posts is to flaunt your minuscule e-wang.

LOL! You constantly talk about the cost of Windows and say it's no problem for you to buy like $80k of hardware? You're just all over the place on it this.

Financially, it's no problem, the fact is I can't justify the purchase! How hard is this to understand? When marketing a product you have to ensure people can justify the price you're asking for said product, if people cannot justify the price all the personal wealth in the world is not going to convince them to buy what you're flogging to the consumer!

Ok Windows sucks. So you say you could easily spend $80k on hardware, ten Windows 10 Pro OEM licenses on Amazon in the US can be had for $1390 USD. So you can afford $80k and can't justify $1390 USD. Cool. But I have a hell of lot more spent on software on just ONE machine than $1390 that doesn't work with Linux. If you don't see the problem with your logic you're just refusing to.

I never said I could justify 80k on hardware, you've completely made that up!

It's one thing to outline your particular usage case as an example for people thinking of adopting Windows 10, but you apply your usage case as a blanket that cover's the entire of [H]OCP! You act like it's completely undoubtable that the members of a hardware community think exactly like you do! Of which there is absolutely nothing even remotely highlighting that this is even the case!

You define Stockholm Syndrome.
 
And you're wrong, of course. You act like Linux doesn't benefit from the addition of better hardware!

So point to where I said that. It's not something I would say because having used general purpose computers for most of my life going on 49, it's not something I'd say having seen with my own eye over a generation of hardware improvements benefiting all kinds of software.

Furthermore your source of factual information is based around the number of people you see running Linux frequenting gaming forums! This line of reasoning is retarded, get over gaming forums, you're nothing special.

The gaming forums related to gaming and video cards are by far the most active special interest forums. So how is that about me? But never mind this site. Just look at Steam's forums. The engagement of Linux gamers there is minimal. I spend a lot money on Steam and read the reviews and comments on things. Few there seem to give a flying shit about Linux. It's all there for you to read if you want.

You're post above says the polar opposite! So either you believe that Linux does not benefit from the addition of better hardware or you somehow believe, based around some narrow minded judgement, that Linux users don't game so Linux users can't use better hardware for it's intended purpose or you somehow believe that Linux does not have the software base to make use of better hardware?! No matter which of the three scenarios play out in your meagre cerebrum, they're all bullshit! Linux does benefit from the addition of better hardware, to state otherwise is outright stupid, Linux users do game and gaming under Linux is still growing as evidenced by ~47,000 subscribers to r/linux_gaming and to state otherwise based on what you see in the gaming forum of what is essentially an enthusiast hardware site is outright stupid and furthermore Linux has plenty of gaming titles that benefit immensely from the addition of better hardware, like a 1080Ti, especially considering desired resolution/graphical settings and the fact that some Linux gaming titles utilise API wrappers - Once again, to state otherwise is outright retarded!

You do not use Linux, you are in no position to comment on the merits of Linux in relation to gaming.

Huh? What is all of this nonsense? Again, the last two GPUs I bought came with over a $100 USD in games that aren't Linux compatible. I never said that Linux doesn't benefit from hardware. For gaming purposes it doesn't have the support to justify spending a lot money on hardware that's primarily targeted for gaming. Who here would buy $1k+ in GPUs to play games under Linux? Why in the hell do keep accusing me of thinking about me when NO ONE would buy that kind of hardware to play games on Linux? Maybe you would with a tax write off.

Which means nada at the end of the day! You're laying judgement on Linux gamers based on the [H]OCP gaming forum of all things! This is flat out retarded reasoning smashed to pieces by the number of users subscribing to r/linux_gaming, r/linux and r/linux_masterrace.

This is actually a major PC gaming web site.

Bullshit! see my post above. I have kids, a great majority of the rest of us have kids and we behave like grown adults - We game when we get the downtime, but we are still in every sense of the word PC gamers whether we run Windows or not! Once again, the underlying purpose of your posts is to flaunt your minuscule e-wang.

Again, massive gaming increase in gaming for Linux and nothing recently that I've bought that's Linux compatible. That's not BS, that's just the facts. Last non-VR AAA game I bought, Prey, no Linux version. Next big title I plan to buy, Star Trek Bridge Crew. VR only and no Linux version. Again, if you only stick to Linux compatible stuff, sure it looks great. Until you don't.

Financially, it's no problem, the fact is I can't justify the purchase!

And who cares because this isn't about you. All people want is to be able to use what they paid for without tax write offs. I've said a million times that everyone would use Linux if it was as good as people like you say AND didn't require throwing their money away.

I never said I could justify 80k on hardware, you've completely made that up!

You said you could drop easily drop 10 times on what I spent on my sig rig. That as about $8k last year. Totally new system with the exception of SSDs and keyboards. And that in total was about $8k and I've mentioned that before.

It's one thing to outline you're particular usage case as an example for people thinking of adopting Windows 10, but you apply your usage case as a blanket that cover's the entire of [H]OCP! You act like it's completely undoubtable that the members of a hardware community think exactly like you do! Of which there is absolutely nothing even remotely highlighting that this is even the case!

You define Stockholm Syndrome.

As a Windows user that uses a shitton of stuff under Windows and would never go to someone else to fix my PCs other than the manufacturer, I have a different perspective on Windows. I know perfectly well I'm not a typical PC user, even by Linux standards. But seriously, how hard can it be if someone you condemn as a know nothing can run top line stuff by pressing buttons and knowing a few things? Stuff that doesn't even work under the mighty Linux? But essentially just reading a few things and pressing a few buttons. And maybe adding some new circuits and screwing sensors into the wall?

You say no one cares about me. But the average Windows user would probably think otherwise. It's fucking simple to run Windows doing things you don't even touch.
 
Last edited:
Its all about priorities Heatle.

For you the only priority in your life seems to be gaming. Well by all means my friend use windows, game away. From your comments over time its clear gaming is the only thing you really use your PC for other then posting on gaming and hardware sites anyway.

I think you can look around at the people you know in your life and understand most people choose a bit more balance in most things. If you have no kids to support... and your windows computers are your babies that's cool man hope your happy.

I COULD go and buy a sports car tomorrow, could I'm not going to because frankly I have better uses for my hard earned $.
I COULD go and sit on a beach for a few weeks of the year I guess... but I hate the sun.
I COULD go and buy a top of the line Xeon and a couple 1080ti and go crazy... but I choose not to. Because I don't REALLY need it... and if my kids wife ect don't need my $ help. Their are a few thousand homeless people in our downtown, and the local soup kitchen can always use a few extra bills.

People make choices. You are in no way a better PC user because you claim to buy every piece of new gear the day it drops. I'll listen to what you have to say about how much faster or cooler ect that X or Y piece of gear you picked up is. Cause if your not full of shit you may have a good idea if you have owned every best of the best piece of gaming gear ever made. I don't however hold much stock in what you think about anything outside of gaming... cause you have admitted to not really doing anything else seriously.

For the record seeing as somehow your views of Linux revolve around how many comments people make that have the word Linux in them. I have commented on plenty of steam games.... and never mention I'm running it on Linux. Cause well it doesn't freaking matter. I'm leaving a comment/review about the game not my operating system.
 
For you the only priority in your life seems to be gaming.

With for PCs the priority for me, particularly the ones I can afford to build with great specs from time to time, is everything the hardware can do. I fucking have an SSD with Mint installed in my sig rig. And an Ubuntu VM and WLS. Seriously, sometimes you guys overthink this shit. Yes, I love gaming and when you build a desktop that's great for gaming it's pretty much good for everything.

Seriously, how the fuck can a system with the best consumer hardware not run Linux? It just want support the primary purpose of such hardware. nVidia didn't market the 1080 Ti for instance as great for Linux gaming.

Sometimes you guys are beyond thoughtless. Think I'm some sort of Microsoft plant and have to explain to you how shit works and understand that my sig rig works under Linux but won't run with the free games included. It's like you guys are just trolling for now reason, trying to be superior and literally pissing on folks that just want to be able to use what they paid for.
 
With for PCs the priority for me, particularly the ones I can afford to build with great specs from time to time, is everything the hardware can do. I fucking have an SSD with Mint installed in my sig rig. And an Ubuntu VM and WLS. Seriously, sometimes you guys overthink this shit. Yes, I love gaming and when you build a desktop that's great for gaming it's pretty much good for everything.

Seriously, how the fuck can a system with the best consumer hardware not run Linux? It just want support the primary purpose of such hardware. nVidia didn't market the 1080 Ti for instance as great for Linux gaming.

Sometimes you guys are beyond thoughtless. Think I'm some sort of Microsoft plant and have to explain to you how shit works and understand that my sig rig works under Linux but won't run with the free games included. It's like you guys are just trolling for now reason, trying to be superior and literally pissing on folks that just want to be able to use what they paid for.

And yet the last time you dabbled in Linux it was blatantly obvious you were totally lost and had no idea what you were doing.

We don't care about your PC, what you do with it or how much you spent on it, you're the one that constantly finds it necessary to highlight what you prioritise regarding your PC in every thread regarding the discussion of operating systems, you're the one sprouting generalised remarks as blanket statements. If you're sick of being criticised don't leave yourself so open.

Frankly, your whole thought process is downright bizarre and you're pissing on people because they choose not to run Windows on the latest and greatest hardware and are perfectly comfortable with such decisions, almost like Linux users are in someway sub par hardware enthusiasts due solely to their choice of OS.

You bring this upon yourself, stop playing the victim here.
 
Last edited:
And yet the last time you dabbled in Linux it was blatantly obvious you were totally lost and had no idea what you were doing.

Holy shit Batman! I run PC tech that even you claim is beyond niche that even you don't run, can build $8k PCs with multiple monitors, VR, 3D etc. and I didn't know what I was doing with Linux. Fuck, I even got Linux working under VR, nothing even folks like you do bash me over have even fucking tried. What you're saying is just ignorant.
 
Holy shit Batman! I run PC tech that even you claim is beyond niche that even you don't run, can build $8k PCs with multiple monitors, VR, 3D etc. and I didn't know what I was doing with Linux. Fuck, I even got Linux working under VR, nothing even folks like you do bash me over have even fucking tried. What you're saying is just ignorant.

Why do you keep bringing up your PC! I don't care how much you spent on your PC! You are not a cut above everyone else simply because of the hardware you run. Your usage case has everything to do with Windows, not the hardware you run!

My opinion is based solely on what I have observed in these forums, you have never given me any reason to think otherwise. You want to be respected? You want people to stop calling you a shill? Stop being so outwardly biased without reason then! Act like a PC user as opposed to a bloody Windows user!

Gawd, you're acting like you're the only one that's been insulted here!
 
Why do you keep bringing up your PC!

You say I know nothing about Linux yet can run every VR game supported under Linux in Steam

That's a niche beyond niches. An extreme waste of time though. Niche tech to begin with, something you never tried and I work for Microsoft. Nothing but pure arrogance from folks like you. I don't know what I'm doing but seem to have it well in hand with the most niche of tech even on desktop Linux terms. I mean really, do you want go toe to toe with me on VR under Linux. Seriously? I am more than happy to go there.

Maybe would could both learn something besides your personal attacks. Just saying. You have all of that tax write off money, why not?
 
You say I know nothing about Linux yet can run every VR game supported under Linux in Steam

That's a niche beyond niches. An extreme waste of time though. Niche tech to begin with, something you never tried and I work for Microsoft. Nothing but pure arrogance from folks like you. I don't know what I'm doing but seem to have it well in hand with the most niche of tech even on desktop Linux terms. I mean really, do you want go toe to toe with me on VR under Linux. Seriously?

VR on Steam? Like it's somehow difficult? Let it go.

This is where you belittle me because I have no desire to buy into VR, like you're somehow superior. You have experience with VR under Linux but primarily use Windows? I use Linux for everything and am missing out on nothing!
 
We've been through this before Heatless. Windows 10 is a terrible product. Lots of people aren't willing to trade their privacy and desktop features for a few minor value add changes like 'better mixed DPI support.' Microsoft throwing a bunch of money at VR support isn't going to make up for the years they've spent putting xbox gaming ahead of the PC. Linux has VR support, too, and if VR games ever get any better than expensive tech demos it'll grow just like regular Linux gaming has.

If Linux is so terrible for gaming why do the Windows 10 bots troll gaming threads in the Linux subforum?
 
Maybe would could both learn something besides your personal attacks. Just saying. You have all of that tax write off money, why not?

You aren't interested in learning anything, the only thing you're interested is blindly praising Microsoft while telling Linux users how flat out inferior they are. If you acted like a PC user and showed an active interest in accepting the views of others while learning new things as opposed to simply playing games under Windows we wouldn't be having this discussion.

As far as personal attacks go, you're calling the kettle black my friend. I tried to be friendly and befriend you early on, but your shameless bias was just too much.
 
VR on Steam? Like it's somehow difficult? Let it go.

Cool, under Windows it's a breeze. Under Linux, holly fuck for four games. Hell it took me two days to get this Brio right under Windows. Because I didn't plug into the right USB port. I don't claim to be smarter than you. I simply think that if you think that average PC users can just install Linux on anything and be on their way better than me you're insane.

This is where you belittle me because I have no desire to buy into VR, like you're somehow superior. You have experience with VR under Linux but primarily use Windows? I use Linux for everything and am missing out on nothing!

And you belittle me by saying I know nothing about Linux while getting Linux to work under something you don't even care about. Seriously, did you even think for a second about that? An ultra niche tech that you don't care about on an OS the average PC user knows about, I have all four VR games that exist on Linux running on my sig rig with 6 SSD drives and I don't know what I'm doing. A person that's been using general purpose home computers for nearly 40 years. You condemn me over and over and over and over, I spend the time to make something work under desktop Linux you don't give a shit about and more condemnation.

Fuck desktop Linux. It goddamn pointless with a community that just tells people to go to hell even when that spend the time and effort to get things working that community has no clue about.
 
You aren't interested in learning anything, the only thing you're interested is blindly praising Microsoft while telling Linux users how flat out inferior they are.

Where's your Linux VR setup? You're not even trying. Good grief. You can't blast me about something you say you have superior knowledge of on super ultra niche tech.

Linux VR. I'm ready. And it was pointless. And you're making that point perfectly clear.
 
Cool, under Windows it's a breeze. Under Linux, holly fuck for four games. Hell it took me two days to get this Brio right under Windows. Because I didn't plug into the right USB port. I don't claim to be smarter than you. I simply think that if you think that average PC users can just install Linux on anything and be on their way better than me you're insane.

What did you expect! VR under Linux has been around for a fraction of the time it's been available under Windows! I would have thought a fairly beta experience would have been obvious and time does not stand still for Windows or Linux, development is ongoing.

And you belittle me by saying I know nothing about Linux while getting Linux to work under something you don't even care about. Seriously, did you even think for a second about that? An ultra niche tech that you don't care about on an OS the average PC user knows about, I have all four VR games that exist on Linux running on my sig rig with 6 SSD drives and I don't know what I'm doing. A person that's been using general purpose home computers for nearly 40 years. You condemn me over and over and over and over, I spend the time to make something work under desktop Linux you don't give a shit about and more condemnation.

See! Because I have no interest in VR you arrogantly assume it's something I can't work out! Holy shit. Compared to some of the things I've done with a PC, I have no doubt that working out VR under Linux would not be an issue for me - How dare you assume otherwise?

Six SSD's?! What the hell has that got to do with anything?! Once again, a shameless tendency to flaunt one's e-wang when it doesn't add to the conversation in any way whatsoever! And then you pretend to assume that you know exactly what hardware I have available to me here!

It's just mindless ranting.
 
We've been through this before Heatless. Windows 10 is a terrible product. Lots of people aren't willing to trade their privacy and desktop features for a few minor value add changes like 'better mixed DPI support.' Microsoft throwing a bunch of money at VR support isn't going to make up for the years they've spent putting xbox gaming ahead of the PC. Linux has VR support, too, and if VR games ever get any better than expensive tech demos it'll grow just like regular Linux gaming has.

If Linux is so terrible for gaming why do the Windows 10 bots troll gaming threads in the Linux subforum?

Ok, Windows 10 sucks. I don't' have a problem with that. Anytime I mention something that doesn't work under Linux "No one cares what you do." Fine. I don't work for Microsoft but I get a hell of lot better responses than that from Microsoft. I spent more hours getting VR to work under Linux than it took me to build my sig rig. Average pro-desktop Linux user "You don't know what you're doing." From people that never even attempted what I did with the most niche of PC tech.

Whatever the problems with Windows 10, fuck desktop Linux. It's not worth it. You guys are beyond arrogant.
 
Ok, Windows 10 sucks. I don't' have a problem with that. Anytime I mention something that doesn't work under Linux "No one cares what you do." Fine. I don't work for Microsoft but I get a hell of lot better responses than that from Microsoft. I spent more hours getting VR to work under Linux than it took me to build my sig rig. Average pro-desktop Linux user "You don't know what you're doing." From people that never even attempted what I did with the most niche of PC tech.

Whatever the problems with Windows 10, fuck desktop Linux. It's not worth it. You guys are beyond arrogant.

Dude give it up. You installed a BETA product on an operating system you don't know really well. Yes I believe you when you say you have played with mint and other distros here and there. There is big difference between installing and tinkering with something a little and really using it. Based on other threads yes we can tell your a Linux tinkerer. Nothing wrong with that... great in fact. Linux is great and many people that feel that way now didn't at first. I'm not saying you need years of XP with Linux to get it and have fun... but dude even people that have spent 100s of hours with Linux still find new things all the time. Like any OS the more time you spend with it the more you understand how it really works.

Linux VR is in Beta right now... it was in very early days beta when you installed it. It was cool to hear your experience with it and all. Still BETA... no one claimed it was something other then that right now. I have read other reports from Linux people that have tried it and they got it up and running fast... but yes they noted that it wasn't smooth at this point. All that feedback is going to valve... when they launch a real non-beta version. You have the hardware try again and let us know if its a 2 day process or not. lol :)
 
What did you expect! VR under Linux has been around for a fraction of the time it's been available under Windows! I would have thought a fairly beta experience would have been obvious and time does not stand still for Windows or Linux, development is ongoing.

Steam VR has been around for a year in release. One thing that Steam VR under Linux seems to g ape shit about, dual GPUs. Linux in general doesn't seem to get that. I've spent a lot of time trying to run Linux on hardware that's buy you definition "No one cares about." And I get that coming from a pro-desktop Linux user, you guys aren't particularly helpful. In all fairness I've had problems with that under Windows 10. To this day there are things I don't get. You're supposed to plug two monitors into the primary card and the third into the secondary card and holy shit that's fucked up mess. Under the latest and greatest Windows. There is a shit ton that not right when running complex setups under Windows 10.

The thing is under Linux, there's not point because it's not supported anyway. And that'd s double holy shit. If fucking takes time to get more than basics working under Windows or Linux because I've done it on hardware most have not idea about, even Linux users, not from a practical standpoint.

See! Because I have no interest in VR you arrogantly assume it's something I can't work out!

Nope, I said you haven't tried. You don't care about VR, fine. Are you going to comdem me for trying something under Linux you have. Or course. How could a idiot like me try something under Linux you haven't and get it working.

Six SSD's?! What the hell has that got to do with anything?!

It's a thing called FAST LOCAL STOREAGE. Which comes in handy with all the games you don't play.

Once again, a shameless tendency to flaunt one's e-wang when it doesn't add to the conversation in any way whatsoever! And then you pretend to assume that you know exactly what hardware I have available to me here!

It's just mindless ranting.

Coming from guy that said without a thought with tax breaks could but 80k USD in hardware.
 
Dude give it up. You installed a BETA product on an operating system you don't know really well.

Where's you Linux VR setup? At this point this discussion is beyond irrelevant to me. I got a niche tech working on a niche OS (from a desktop perspective) that not a single person here who bashes me over desktop Linux has even attempted. You don't think I know Steam VR is beta. You don't think I bought an SSD (ok $60 bucks on Amazon) and was attempting to a Linux install on something in beta on an $8k PC (including monitors, Vive and other accessories). I don't know something really well yet again I seem to understand what I'm doing and have it working.

Good lord help the average Linux desktop user dealing with folks like you.
 
Steam VR has been around for a year in release. One thing that Steam VR under Linux seems to g ape shit about, dual GPUs. Linux in general doesn't seem to get that. I've spent a lot of time trying to run Linux on hardware that's buy you definition "No one cares about." And I get that coming from a pro-desktop Linux user, you guys aren't particularly helpful. In all fairness I've had problems with that under Windows 10. To this day there are things I don't get. You're supposed to plug two monitors into the primary card and the third into the secondary card and holy shit that's fucked up mess. Under the latest and greatest Windows. There is a shit ton that not right when running complex setups under Windows 10.

The thing is under Linux, there's not point because it's not supported anyway. And that'd s double holy shit. If fucking takes time to get more than basics working under Windows or Linux because I've done it on hardware most have not idea about, even Linux users, not from a practical standpoint.



Nope, I said you haven't tried. You don't care about VR, fine. Are you going to comdem me for trying something under Linux you have. Or course. How could a idiot like me try something under Linux you haven't and get it working.



It's a thing called FAST LOCAL STOREAGE. Which comes in handy with all the games you don't play.



Coming from guy that said without a thought with tax breaks could but 80k USD in hardware.

Once again, Mindless ranting and the mentioning of PC specifications that have literally nothing to do with the discussion at hand - All topics that we've been over time and time before but you refuse to absorb anything that doesn't conform to your line of thinking.

Let it go.
 
Where's you Linux VR setup? At this point this discussion is beyond irrelevant to me. I got a niche tech working on a niche OS (from a desktop perspective) that not a single person here who bashes me over desktop Linux has even attempted. You don't think I know Steam VR is beta. You don't think I bought an SSD (ok $60 bucks on Amazon) and was attempting to a Linux install on something in beta on an $8k PC (including monitors, Vive and other accessories). I don't know something really well yet again I seem to understand what I'm doing and have it working.

Good lord help the average Linux desktop user dealing with folks like you.

Well you are right this is completely irrelevant. Your forays into VR fun times... not sure WTF it has to do with the Wcry virus and the average user who is sick of windows security.

I help plenty of people switch. I have said it before and I'll say it again... regular people can't install an OS its to complicated. That includes windows. Most users wouldn't have a clue how to install windows on a fresh machine. That is why MS sells OEM copies and have people buy them already installed. Its the main reason Linux doesn't stand a chance really... average user OEM support isn't there. Put an average user in front of a Linux box to do their average user things... and a good number won't even know its not just a newer version of windows they haven't seen before.

I'm glad you have a 8k machine heatle that's fantastic for you really. I'm just not sure wth it has to do with 99% of the threads you post in where you feel the need to mention it like a big massive epein waving blowhard.
 
Once again, Mindless ranting and the mentioning of PC specifications that have literally nothing to do with the discussion at hand

But it does. I've taken the time and effort to make something work under Linux you do give a shit about. Something that's well beyond the overwhelming majority PC users regardless of OS. But you'll lie about what said in that regard. VR works under Linux. And at this point it's not worth the effort. Coming from some one who did it. You pro-desktop Linux folks simply ignore the work that countless people have done over the years and call everyone ignorant who don't agree with you.

Yeah I'm a little prideful about doing something that pro-desktop Linux folks have never done. And what a goddamned waste of time.
 
Well you are right this is completely irrelevant. Your forays into VR fun times... not sure WTF it has to do with the Wcry virus and the average user who is sick of windows security.

Do you think a person that figured out how to setup Linux VR can't get Windows updates to work?
 
Do you think a person that figured out how to setup Linux VR can't get Windows updates to work?

Believe it or not this thread is not about you and only you.

YOU are not the only windows user in the world.

I'm sure your machine is not encrypted by malware right now.

I highly doubt anyone that even knows [H] is a thing got hit by it. We are the elite, do you feel special now. Or would you like to reply that your computer is worth 8k, and your closet is shitting 1080ti cards you can't fit on your motherboard right now.... how are things up there on the mountain anyway ?
 
Who doesn't want an OS which is not corruptible? but the thing is its not user friendly. i tried using linux but i wasn't satisfied by the interface nor the options.

Switching from Windows is difficult, Microsoft does their best to ensure you're literally addicted to their platform. However, it has to be emphasised that if you don't like the default interface or options the sky's the limit, you can literally change everything about the OS to suit your own personal tastes and needs.

Quite honestly, as a long time Windows user, I won't use anything but Linux these days - Nothing about Windows appeals to me whatsoever. All in all I think I may have sacrificed a handful of games, but gained a lot more in return.
 
Last edited:
Steam VR has been around for a year in release. One thing that Steam VR under Linux seems to g ape shit about, dual GPUs. Linux in general doesn't seem to get that. I've spent a lot of time trying to run Linux on hardware that's buy you definition "No one cares about." And I get that coming from a pro-desktop Linux user, you guys aren't particularly helpful. In all fairness I've had problems with that under Windows 10. To this day there are things I don't get. You're supposed to plug two monitors into the primary card and the third into the secondary card and holy shit that's fucked up mess. Under the latest and greatest Windows. There is a shit ton that not right when running complex setups under Windows 10.

The thing is under Linux, there's not point because it's not supported anyway. And that'd s double holy shit. If fucking takes time to get more than basics working under Windows or Linux because I've done it on hardware most have not idea about, even Linux users, not from a practical standpoint.



Nope, I said you haven't tried. You don't care about VR, fine. Are you going to comdem me for trying something under Linux you have. Or course. How could a idiot like me try something under Linux you haven't and get it working.



It's a thing called FAST LOCAL STOREAGE. Which comes in handy with all the games you don't play.



Coming from guy that said without a thought with tax breaks could but 80k USD in hardware.

Think what you want Heatlesssun, you're not an innocent victim in this discussion in any way whatsoever and you've had more than your fair share of stabs and snide remarks all aimed at others. As stated, I tried to be friendly to you early on (way beyond the scope of this thread), but your shameless bias is just totally over the top, basically intolerable. I'm quite simply not interested in your little sob story.

Let it go.
 
Last edited:
Who defends bugs? I just think reasonable people understand that there are always going to be bugs in complex software. That's not an excuse, that's CS 101. But sure things like this look bad and shouldn't happen. No bugs should occur. But that's not ever going to happen in my life in software development. Be it closed or open source.

That's called a vulnerability, and a very large one too!
 
That's called a vulnerability, and a very large one too!

Indeed it is. My work machine is running Windows 7 and is susceptible to it. So I'll just reformat my it with a Linux distro. Except I can't, not my call. We're moving to Windows 10. But of course some around here will call that defense of Microsoft.
 
Indeed it is. My work machine is running Windows 7 and is susceptible to it. So I'll just reformat my it with a Linux distro. Except I can't, not my call. We're moving to Windows 10. But of course some around here will call that defense of Microsoft.
People would call that doing your job. Same thing is happening at my work and all my coworkers agree that the direction Microsoft is moving in regards to privacy and cloud services just sucks. We're still going to Windows 10 because it's the next step on the roadmap and "No one ever got fired for buying IBM Microsoft." .. Your situation is not special. However, it is a symptom of vendor lockin and should not be praised.
 
People would call that doing your job. Same thing is happening at my work and all my coworkers agree that the direction Microsoft is moving in regards to privacy and cloud services just sucks. We're still going to Windows 10 because it's the next step on the roadmap and "No one ever got fired for buying IBM Microsoft." .. Your situation is not special. However, it is a symptom of vendor lockin and should not be praised.

Who the hell is praising Windows? I simply state it's functionality for a personal perspective. I'm not going to praise something that doesn't do what I need either. Who the hell told Valve not develop more games or support VR under Linux? No person with a PC VR setup thinks that Linux supports it, even folks that will blast the fuck out me over me being a Windows shill who have PC VR setups.

People just want to use what they want to use without consideration of those who don't do a fuck for them. But many would consider such a person a Windows shill. As though Microsoft is paying everyone off and that they are the only "trustful" folks out there. Even when that don't know shit about that they are talking about. No full time Linux user that blasts me uses VR and they have a zillion reasons why it's a fad.
 
Who the hell is praising Windows? I simply state it's functionality for a personal perspective. I'm not going to praise something that doesn't do what I need either. Who the hell told Valve not develop more games or support VR under Linux? No person with a PC VR setup thinks that Linux supports it, even folks that will blast the fuck out me over me being a Windows shill who have PC VR setups.
I can only speak from my perspective, but it often looks like you do (re: praising windows). I'm sorry if that's disheartening or we're misunderstanding you, but that's the observation on how you come across. I won't challenge you on VR though. If that's your thing, it looks like there's only one OS to go with at the moment. However, that doesn't mean that's a good thing.
People just want to use what they want to use without consideration of those who don't do a fuck for them. But many would consider such a person a Windows shill. As though Microsoft is paying everyone off and that they are the only "trustful" folks out there. Even when that don't know shit about that they are talking about. No full time Linux user that blasts me uses VR and they have a zillion reasons why it's a fad.
People also have a laundry list of reasons to dislike Microsoft to the point of distrusting or boycotting everything they produce. Despite what features or experiences it may enable them to have. Make no mistake that it's been fully evaluated and weighed.
Recently it could be an evaluation of Wannacrypt, NTFS Oops, enterprise telemetry, and chinese telemetry.. However, it's perfectly valid for discourse.

When you ignore the ways that a conversation is framed (ex. Dislike everything Microsoft, what OS should I use?) yet still promote Microsoft, then it starts to look shill like.. sure.

My suggestion is to take a breather, and try to respond positively to some linux threads. You do good with Windows troubleshooting and are supporting. How about helping out your fellow [H] with those computing angles as well?
 
So you are saying that there are a number of alteration you can do in linux which are not possible in windows?

My word there is. Unlike Windows the sky's the limit in relation to customisation under Linux.
 
I can only speak from my perspective, but it often looks like you do (re: praising windows). I'm sorry if that's disheartening or we're misunderstanding you, but that's the observation on how you come across. I won't challenge you on VR though. If that's your thing, it looks like there's only one OS to go with at the moment. However, that doesn't mean that's a good thing.

People also have a laundry list of reasons to dislike Microsoft to the point of distrusting or boycotting everything they produce. Despite what features or experiences it may enable them to have. Make no mistake that it's been fully evaluated and weighed.
Recently it could be an evaluation of Wannacrypt, NTFS Oops, enterprise telemetry, and chinese telemetry.. However, it's perfectly valid for discourse.

When you ignore the ways that a conversation is framed (ex. Dislike everything Microsoft, what OS should I use?) yet still promote Microsoft, then it starts to look shill like.. sure.

My suggestion is to take a breather, and try to respond positively to some linux threads. You do good with Windows troubleshooting and are supporting. How about helping out your fellow [H] with those computing angles as well?
Bingo!

Meanwhile I need to get back to gaming
 
Indeed it is. My work machine is running Windows 7 and is susceptible to it. So I'll just reformat my it with a Linux distro. Except I can't, not my call. We're moving to Windows 10. But of course some around here will call that defense of Microsoft.

That's too bad. My work laptop runs Ubuntu 16.10. Works beautifully in the corporate setting.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ChadD
like this
That's too bad. My work laptop runs Ubuntu 16.10. Works beautifully in the corporate setting.
Then you're lucky that the major corporation you work for has approved and purchased Ubuntu 16.10 based laptops and determined you are one of the individuals authorized to use one. Not everyone is so lucky. I know, from my experience employees were proved with approved equipment to use in their daily work and it was all based on an employer approved equipment list.
 
Then you're lucky that the major corporation you work for has approved and purchased Ubuntu 16.10 based laptops and determined you are one of the individuals authorized to use one. Not everyone is so lucky. I know, from my experience employees were proved with approved equipment to use in their daily work and it was all based on an employer approved equipment list.

Very true end users don't often have any say in what hardware and software they use for work. The people that make said decisions mostly have their reasons. They mostly don't change cause its easier to just go along with decisions made before your time then make a big one on your own. No one has ever been fired for renewing a MS licence. (ok perhaps not, no one... but for renewing an previous contract rarely) :)

Ubuntu / RHEL (and cent) / SUSE all work extremely well in corporate settings. That isn't to say many larger companies could go out tomorrow and just buy 1000s of Linux machines a switch in a day. It really isn't the big messy process that some people claim it is either though. In my experience it isn't much different then the cost companies put into major upgrades from xp->7->8->10 ect. Often they require new hardware often they require new software often they require training and paid outside consulting work. The difference is once they have moved away form windows many costs tend to drop, security increases, as does productivity.

Yes productivity... funny as hell conversation I had the other day with a Regular dude employee as I was taking care of something from one of his employers free terminals that happened to be beside his desk. "So your the Linux guy they have come in right ?... Yes... so like do they know every single website I go to now or what... They likely knew that on the old windows machines as well... Naa man I don't think so, they do know though for sure right ?... Of course they know where when how long pretty much every keystroke. To which he responded, "ahh crappy"

I know there is no truth to it... windows network monitoring works fine of course. Still it seems the average employee assumes the the Super Geeky linux box has eyes on them at all times. I joke, but the things you hear from average people about Linux can be pretty damn funny. I have never really witnessed any change over pains from end users though. Picking the right interface is one of the biggest advantages of Linux. Most stripped down corp windows boxes have a start bar and a few shortcuts and that's it... a Corp Linux setup doesn't look much different. Only you throw a few Company logos on the "start" bar or on the icon for the desktop shortcut that launches their internet or something and most feel like they are using some super advanced customised Company operating system.
 
Then you're lucky that the major corporation you work for has approved and purchased Ubuntu 16.10 based laptops and determined you are one of the individuals authorized to use one. Not everyone is so lucky. I know, from my experience employees were proved with approved equipment to use in their daily work and it was all based on an employer approved equipment list.

Actually, my laptop came with Windows 10. However, I was authorized to format it and install Ubuntu 16.10 (should've put 16.04, but I wanted to experiment with 16.10).
 
Back
Top