VR use case question

SpeedyVV

Supreme [H]ardness
I love multi monitors. Hell I have a triple mon setup and I wish I could have more, but just running out of desk space.

Is it possible to use VR as a means of have multi me (virtual?) monitors?

Could I for example set up a grid of 3x3 2560x1600(30") monitors so that the experience would be that like looking at an 1600p monitor, but then by moving my head I could see the other monitor.

Ideally I would be able to see 2 monitors at the same time. Use case say, mon1 a dev IDE, and mon2 a doc+browser?

BTW, nothing specific about the 2560x1600, but I like the dpi of it, the other screens could be diff size/res but similar dpi.

Hope this question makes sense.

Yeah but the headsets are low res so it won't look very good. You'll probably have to wait for generation 2 or 3 for this to be practical

Reactions: Rysen
like this
So what resolution are we talking about today? 1080p?

1080x1200 per eye, but that's not really 100% accurate since the focal point is only a fairly small area in the center of the lens/screen (I assume you're asking about the resolution of the displays in the headsets). The actual number of pixels that you can see (and aren't peripheral) are probably closer to 1/2-1/3 of that. So if you want to see anything with lots of detail, you have to get very close to it due to the lack of resolution.

With that said, In your described scenario, you'd be able to see all the "virtual" displays perfectly fine, but reading whats on the displays would be terribly difficult unless those displays were showing something like a 320x240 resolution, similar to the computer monitor in Job Simulator. There is no way you'd be able to read comfortably off of a virtual 2560x1440 display uless it was 100ft tall lol (or your virtual head was inches from it)

. There is no way you'd be able to read comfortably off of a virtual 2560x1440 display uless it was 100ft tall lol (or your virtual head was inches from it)

As cool as a 100ft tall monitor might be, I think that's makes my use case a bit impractical lol

As cool as a 100ft tall monitor might be, I think that's makes my use case a bit impractical lol
Indeed. Currently, the resolution of the HMD is not high enough for what you're suggesting to work. Imagine trying to read a huge wall-size spreadsheet without your glasses or contacts (or from 20 feet back). What you're thinking of would be a lot like that.

Even games that have lots of text like Elite Dangerous have to use a pretty big typeface to make information readable.

Coding would be a lot more pleasurable and easier to see the forest for the trees. I had seen someone's battlestation that had all the monitors (software-side) lined up vertical. All of them portrait mode. It was a sight of beauty. Ever since then I was thinking about picking up a curved 1440w monitor and using it in portrait mode. As the curvature would help use all the monitor height to code, instead of having the edges being off and hard to see.

But coding with a headset is pretty much like using a low-res excel sheet, or so I'm told.

Back