VR GPU power needed going forward

HDMI 2.1 is a great thing, I'm just saying there are sacrifices for ultra-high bandwidth.

They need to just enable support of SLI going forward. IF we are going to be pushing this many pixels in VR (theoretically) we need to understand that GPU tech isn't moving fast enough. I do not believe nvidia has anything in the immediate next 2 years that can really surpass the 1080ti as the high end, not speaking of the ultra niche Titan cards here.

I own two 1080tis and it sucks I can't use them in SLI on my Rift.

I am not personally looking forward to 8k resolutions in the next couple gens in as much as I am looking forward to the following:

Individually adjustable focus per eye for those that wear glasses

and removal of screen door affect.

Higher resolutions will be nice but elimination of screen door effect should be the no1 thing in my book .

They need to just enable support of SLI going forward. IF we are going to be pushing this many pixels in VR (theoretically) we need to understand that GPU tech isn't moving fast enough. I do not believe nvidia has anything in the immediate next 2 years that can really surpass the 1080ti as the high end, not speaking of the ultra niche Titan cards here.

I own two 1080tis and it sucks I can't use them in SLI on my Rift.

I am not personally looking forward to 8k resolutions in the next couple gens in as much as I am looking forward to the following:

Individually adjustable focus per eye for those that wear glasses

and removal of screen door affect.

Higher resolutions will be nice but elimination of screen door effect should be the no1 thing in my book .
I was going to use glasses on the Rift, but the insert made it way better.
You don't need SLI on the Rift as of now, but 2.0 if they get actual 4K per eye, yeah. I do not care if you need 2 1080ti's to get the full 2.0 experience. They could even sell a middle ground system or something.
I will buy another 1080ti if I have to. :)
Yeah, SDA sucks, and hope 2.0 gets rid of most of it.

Not sure on the tricks and stuff that can lower the gpu power needed for the new high res VR HMD's. If it doesn't take away the immersion and look like crap, no problem.

Foveated viewing will solve virtually all of the GPU power aspects. You just need the pixels within the ~10 degrees of central vision to be "8K PPI" and the resolution can decrease steadily outward from that.

Foveated viewing will solve virtually all of the GPU power aspects. You just need the pixels within the ~10 degrees of central vision to be "8K PPI" and the resolution can decrease steadily outward from that.
I saw some of the demonstrations. I am not sure it will look good or work well. I guess we need to see what they can come up with in the next few years.

Back