Vizio P series (Sept 24th) + GTX 970/980

I just wanted to report that I finally got a chance to do some gaming on this thing.

Its input lag is *excellent*. At 1080p@120Hz it has less input lag than the seiki SE50UY04/SE39UY04 does at the same resolution/refresh rate. I would say its input lag is about on par when the seiki's are at 720p@240Hz. I am *extremely* sensitive to input lag and I had absolutely no issues playing quake on this thing.

If the 60Hz thing gets fixed this will be an excellent display for games. Very good input lag @ 4k30Hz too (compared to the seiki).

I meant to do some CRT testing (Linux should be more sync'd on the displays than windows) and try to get some real input lag numbers. I borrowed my dad's nikon D80 for this but it died after a single picture so I borrowed his newer nikon and I plan to re-do this test to get some rough input lag numbers or atleast compare them (seiki/vizio) with a CRT.

How's motion clarity compared to the Seiki, and how does its motion processing affect input lag?

Input lag is very good. I tested mirror'd to a CRT. In linux the outputs are usually genlocked (as tested with my IBM T221/VP2290bs) atleast when outputting at the same refresh rate...

Anyway I tested both the seiki and the Vizio at various resolutions/refresh rates. All Vizio tests were on HDMI 5 with game-mode turned on.

Here are my results (with pictures to verify):

Vizio 2160p@30Hz:
.666 - 611 = 55ms

(Slight advantage to the vizio on the test as the CRT was also at 120Hz where it was @ 180Hz for the other tests)
Vizio 1080p@120Hz:
.593 -.586 = 7ms

Vizio 1080p@60Hz (two results)

882 - 850 = 32ms
044 - 014 = 30ms

Seiki 2160p@30Hz:
Unfortunately none of the pictures came out well enough to get results. We all know input lag is bad @ 30Hz on the seiki though.

Seiki 1080p@60Hz (two results):
948 - 902 = 46 Ms
120 - 064 = 56 Ms

Seiki 1080p@120Hz (two results):
431 - 392 = 39ms
125 - 084 = 41ms

Seiki 720p@240Hz (three results):
699 - 686 = 13ms
643 - 626 = 17ms
093 - 076 = 17ms

My remaining bitch about the Vizio. I will be bringing a laptop into bestbuy and/or costco and testing various sizes to see if its just an issue on the 70 inch or not.

Here is the difference in Clarity when looking at a chroma test image. The Seiki is by far not perfect but acceptable for a TV (this test looks absolutely perfect on my sisters 24 inch 4k dell):

Seiki:

Vizio:

native image: http://box.houkouonchi.jp/chroma2.png

Last edited:
Looking at that all day would make my eyes dry out, then bleed.

The image I took a picture of are extremely small font sizes. Here is the image:

chroma2.png

The effect is a lot less noticable with even normal 75 or 96 DPI font sizes.

Maybe it's somewhat acceptable if one clenches teeth .. but why for if one can wait a bit and get product he doesn't have to compromise with, to get normal 4:4:4, big size for dpi to stay sane, no MST and normal input options in same product? And who knows, maybe even one with low input lag to add to those. Or be early adopter and "live with it" paying price for haste.

Maybe it's somewhat acceptable if one clenches teeth .. but why for if one can wait a bit and get product he doesn't have to compromise with, to get normal 4:4:4, big size for dpi to stay sane, no MST and normal input options in same product? And who knows, maybe even one with low input lag to add to those. Or be early adopter and "live with it" paying price for haste.

Cause they might need a TV for the living room for watching movies, net flix, PS4 and can get the 70P for $1,500....or at least that would be my reasons :)

How is motion blur on this display (1080@120hz)? From what I read in this thread it seems like it should be pretty low.

Is it comparable to say lightboost?

How is motion blur on this display (1080@120hz)? From what I read in this thread it seems like it should be pretty low.

Is it comparable to say lightboost?

There is some blur, its not as good as lightboost. That being said it is very low and I would say not noticable at all for most.

So what do you think? Is it good for every day use, like for web coding?

Well so far I would have to say that the seiki is better for that as those things do not need 60Hz (30 will suffice) and so far the seiki (sadly for being the cheapest 4k display) has so far had the clearest picture (for text) compared to vizio or samsung. I am hoping maybe this is just an issue with the 70 inch and some of the smaller ones will be better.

Well so far I would have to say that the seiki is better for that as those things do not need 60Hz (30 will suffice) and so far the seiki (sadly for being the cheapest 4k display) has so far had the clearest picture (for text) compared to vizio or samsung. I am hoping maybe this is just an issue with the 70 inch and some of the smaller ones will be better.

sorry to hear that and sorry for being a prick but i suffered such a loss when i picked up an extravagant projector for $2k and it turned out to be crap so i am wondering if this vizio p and the 200 usd cable has turned out to be a total loss for you and what are you planning to do with it?

sorry to hear that and sorry for being a prick but i suffered such a loss when i picked up an extravagant projector for $2k and it turned out to be crap so i am wondering if this vizio p and the 200 usd cable has turned out to be a total loss for you and what are you planning to do with it?

I returned the Copper cable but the 60 foot optical cable is nice in how super thin it is and easy to plug in (because its not a thick copper cable that is a PITA to get in the seiki input ports) so I think I am going to keep the 60 foot optical cable regardless as it will come on handy.

If I can't at least get full chroma 60Hz working in the next week or two or hear of other people that have succeeded (all the success so far has really been 4:2:0) then I will likely have to return the TV to amazon (which I really don't want to do).

I know you haven't gotten the display to work at full 4k 60hz and 4:4:4 yet, but is it possible to give me an idea of how well the local dimming works. How are the black levels, contrast levels, any clouding issues, etc?

This is a pretty good TV for the price, & using it as a monitor. I used a 10% off coupon at BB to get it. Nothing at this size or price is better, or I would've bought it. Of, course it's not perfect, but it fits my bill, & I am satisfied until real 18GB 444 4K OLED TV's at 70 or greater are ready. This coming from a dude who bought the ELITE at about $8,000

Seiki 2160p@30Hz:
Unfortunately none of the pictures came out well enough to get results. We all know input lag is bad @ 30Hz on the seiki though.

My 39'' seiki's input lag was mostly gone after I flashed it with the 50'' firmware. I consider it acceptable now. Is your comment above on a 50'' firmware?

I returned the Copper cable but the 60 foot optical cable is nice in how super thin it is and easy to plug in (because its not a thick copper cable that is a PITA to get in the seiki input ports) so I think I am going to keep the 60 foot optical cable regardless as it will come on handy.

If I can't at least get full chroma 60Hz working in the next week or two or hear of other people that have succeeded (all the success so far has really been 4:2:0) then I will likely have to return the TV to amazon (which I really don't want to do).

that's good things which are returnable always keep the mind at ease.

I don't think anything will fix it outside of firmware and/or driver updates.

I just wanted to report that I finally got a chance to do some gaming on this thing.

Its input lag is *excellent*. At 1080p@120Hz it has less input lag than the seiki SE50UY04/SE39UY04 does at the same resolution/refresh rate. I would say its input lag is about on par when the seiki's are at 720p@240Hz. I am *extremely* sensitive to input lag and I had absolutely no issues playing quake on this thing.

If the 60Hz thing gets fixed this will be an excellent display for games. Very good input lag @ 4k30Hz too (compared to the seiki).

I meant to do some CRT testing (Linux should be more sync'd on the displays than windows) and try to get some real input lag numbers. I borrowed my dad's nikon D80 for this but it died after a single picture so I borrowed his newer nikon and I plan to re-do this test to get some rough input lag numbers or atleast compare them (seiki/vizio) with a CRT.

Thank you so much. This is exactly what a lot of us were waiting for. Also thankyou for the CRT tests!

So even the 70 inch is gimped at 60hz/4k?

I would love to buy a 4k for pc gaming, but i can't live with blurry details.

It's a 18gbps cable so there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

Under PC there are fewer options available, with the only 4K option being 4096x2160 at 24 hz. I any case, since it's unclear whether or not my 980 even supports HDMI 2.0 (I still haven't heard back from tech support) and there has been some confusion about whether or not some of the third party cards (i.e. MSI) actually supports HDMI 2.0, this may just be an issue of the cards not having the HDMI 2.0 chip onboard.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...k-at-60p-on-samsung-tv-/post/4318130/#4318130

According to this post the redmere cable was affecting 4k60. Was that post by you as well?

According to linked in posts it was NOT the cable, but DP2HDMI converter (of which i haven't heard that there is any yet to support >HDMI 1.4, indeed), no?

Well I emailed Gigabyte to verify on the HDMI 2.0 and got this in reply:

Dear Customer,

We have checked with our team and this card can support HDMI 2.0.
The posting on the other ticket is not correct.

Thank you

Welp finally got my tv having trouble getting 1080p at 120hz but if these setting are correct then not doing to bad
6qjypl.jpg

According to linked in posts it was NOT the cable, but DP2HDMI converter (of which i haven't heard that there is any yet to support >HDMI 1.4, indeed), no?

I dunno, I just got a LG 49UB8500 and my redmere cable doesn't work at 60Hz, I get no signal when I select 60Hz under settings but swapping with a regular HDMI cable it works fine. The Redmere cable only works for me when I do 30Hz.

I dunno, I just got a LG 49UB8500 and my redmere cable doesn't work at 60Hz, I get no signal when I select 60Hz under settings but swapping with a regular HDMI cable it works fine. The Redmere cable only works for me when I do 30Hz.

Well the LG one actually will do real HDMI 2.0 bandwidth so that is not all that unexpected if its an older redmere cable or one > 15 feet.

I can still get this one for 1100, so it's between the two for me now. How is this one as a monitor at 4K? Does it also handle 120hz @ 1080p?

Welp finally got my tv having trouble getting 1080p at 120hz but if these setting are correct then not doing to bad
6qjypl.jpg

So it is for sure running 4k60hz? What is your video card? Do you find that text is clear to read to see if it really is 444?

There is some blur, its not as good as lightboost. That being said it is very low and I would say not noticable at all for most.

I believe this TV has a backlight strobe mode as well - I forget what the option is called in the menus, does the above impression have that turned on?

Ok guys I just got this TV(sold my 2012 80"Sharp) and I must say it's very impressive. I'm not sure what others are posting but this TV looks phenomenal surfing the web and I'm using it right now to post this reply sitting a happy 8 feet away from the screen. Text is sharp and vivid on desktop/chrome.

Am using 3840 x 2160@60HZ off my EVGA GTX 980. As for the 4:2:0 color stuff, I did notice in the color settings you can't set it to "RGB, YPrPb" anymore. I tried a few tests and sure enough the fonts looked blurry on Red/Magenta with the colors seeping into the fonts. http://s807.photobucket.com/user/floatpoo/media/444_faq/tint-blue-rgb-1080p.png.html

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase as I game mostly and will have my Asus PB298Q(portrait mode FTW)for web surfing. I still have some calibration to do but I must say for games that I've tried out, the whole 4:2:0 color thing is overblown! I honestly don't notice a difference between this IQ and my AH-IPS monitor @ 2560 x 1080. If anyone needs any info hit me up as I'll be setting up today and still have to figure out how to get video to this alongside my Onkyo AVR.

4k60hz with 4:4:4 works on my Samsung 55HU7200 plus EVGA 980 GTX.
Initially I used the hdmi cable from my xbox one but texts came out a little blurry and discolored. After receiving my belkin 2.0 hdmi cable texts look great, and there is no noticeable mouse lag.

4k60hz with 4:4:4 works on my Samsung 55HU7200 plus EVGA 980 GTX.
Initially I used the hdmi cable from my xbox one but texts came out a little blurry and discolored. After receiving my belkin 2.0 hdmi cable texts look great, and there is no noticeable mouse lag.

I don't think you're getting 4:4:4.

View this image (preferably in MS Paint, as browsers can sometimes apply scaling depending on zoom / DPI settings which would invalidate the test): http://cdn.avsforum.com/b/b4/b4a44044_vbattach208609.png

If all the text shows up crisp and clear then you are, but I bet the blue, red, and magenta colors will be completely blurred.

sigh after opening the file in mspaint you are correct xsphere. I guess I'll return it back to costco since i still fall in the return window and try the samsung HU9000 series

Ok guys I just got this TV(sold my 2012 80"Sharp) and I must say it's very impressive. I'm not sure what others are posting but this TV looks phenomenal surfing the web and I'm using it right now to post this reply sitting a happy 8 feet away from the screen. Text is sharp and vivid on desktop/chrome.

Am using 3840 x 2160@60HZ off my EVGA GTX 980. As for the 4:2:0 color stuff, I did notice in the color settings you can't set it to "RGB, YPrPb" anymore. I tried a few tests and sure enough the fonts looked blurry on Red/Magenta with the colors seeping into the fonts. http://s807.photobucket.com/user/floatpoo/media/444_faq/tint-blue-rgb-1080p.png.html

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase as I game mostly and will have my Asus PB298Q(portrait mode FTW)for web surfing. I still have some calibration to do but I must say for games that I've tried out, the whole 4:2:0 color thing is overblown! I honestly don't notice a difference between this IQ and my AH-IPS monitor @ 2560 x 1080. If anyone needs any info hit me up as I'll be setting up today and still have to figure out how to get video to this alongside my Onkyo AVR.

Which one did you get, the 70"?

Damn, I was gonna get a P70 for the living room, but now am gonna pass on the P series and wait and see if the R series can deliver true 4:4:4

In the meantime I want to replace my aging Vizio 47" 1080p in the bedroom and was thinking of going with the 55" LG 55UB8500 or 55UB9500. It has been confirmed that those LGs do true 4:4:4 right? My HTPC has a 980GTX so I have the hardware just need the right TV. I like to watch movies, surf the net and do light gaming on my bedroom HTPC, so what is the input lag like on the LG UB8500-9500s? I can't find a good concrete lag test review.

Last edited:
Yeah I got the P70 one. I cannot stress enough how amazing this TV is. The whole 4:4:4 is overblown to me. Would I like to have it? sure but when you're playing Tomb Raider in 4K on 70" screen, it's breathtaking.

Interesting note, my AVR(Onkyo 708) couldn't pass through the 4K@60hz feed from my GTX 980. I had to run two HDMI cables, one from my iGPU(Asus Z97I-PLUS) to the AVR for audio and one directly off the 980 for video to HDMI 5.

Am so happy with the results of this set I'm going to purchase another one for my "GAME" (consoles) room. Problem is the P55 is only one in stock around here (Salem, OR) and it's an IPS panel. Anyone have any info on the P50? if it's VA I'll just pick up that one.

Back