• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Virginia Tech Shootings

My favorite part is how you highlight only parts of text which support your viewpoint, and yet fail to read the entire definition.
 
The legal definition of a child versus an adult in relation to gun studies are crucial when discussing the VT shootings.

How about we not get the thread locked?
 
The legal definition of a child versus an adult in relation to gun studies are crucial when discussing the VT shootings.

How about we not get the thread locked?

yes that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid, let's let that one go. I'm not going to argue with someone that has no concept of admitting they made a mistake.

Have they made any discoveries about what his objective was in the second building? was he after her boyfriend?
 
All gun law debates aside, the fault lies with the perpetrator of the crime. The most important thing now is support for the friends and family of VT students and faculty.

The murderer needs to be sent to a Turkish prison for the rest of his life. America outsources everything else, why not prisons?
 
The murderer needs to be sent to a Turkish prison for the rest of his life. America outsources everything else, why not prisons?

I would rather send prisoners to that then to the 5-star hotels that we send them to now
 
The murderer needs to be sent to a Turkish prison for the rest of his life. America outsources everything else, why not prisons?

Lol.... Um maybe you guys don't keep up with current events but we've been sending people to foreign prisons and torturing them for a while now.

Turkey sounds rough, but Egypt, or El Salvador sound worse considering their track records.

You did remind me of midnight express though, good movie!
 
It's sad that some asshat had to go off and kill 30+ people. What also sucks is that the gun control activists are eating this up. I hate hearing these morons refering to handguns as being automatic weapons. No handgun a civilian can buy today qualifies as such.
 
It's sad that some asshat had to go off and kill 30+ people. What also sucks is that the gun control activists are eating this up. I hate hearing these morons refering to handguns as being automatic weapons. No handgun a civilian can buy today qualifies as such.

Yep. Nothing like media sensationalism :(

You can still purchase preban handguns which are fully automatic, but thats a whole nother story as they are rare and expensive as heck.
 
Yep. Nothing like media sensationalism :(

You can still purchase preban handguns which are fully automatic, but thats a whole nother story as they are rare and expensive as heck.

Not to mention the permits involved... I looked into owning a Class 3 firearm once, we're talking almost $3000 a year just to hold a permit, and I'm pretty sure that goes up for each Class 3 firearm you own.
 
Not to mention the permits involved... I looked into owning a Class 3 firearm once, we're talking almost $3000 a year just to hold a permit, and I'm pretty sure that goes up for each Class 3 firearm you own.

Yep, and I believe you also need ATF registration for those.
 
Well, now 'dr,' Phil is on the video game blame bandwagon. At least he grouped it together with movies though.
 
Just like the guy who drove his truck into a diner in Texas, and proceeded to shoot people until he was out of ammo. One of the people who survived later became a congresswoman in Texas. She had a permit, but she had to leave her gun in her car in order to be in adherence with the law. Had she had it on her, it's very likely less people would have died.

How many more of these things have to happen before lawmakers realize that letting people carry weapons would just guarantee that the people with intent to murder won't be the only ones with the ability to choose whether someone lives or dies? :mad:

Amen to that....
 
Yep, and I believe you also need ATF registration for those.

And FBI fingerprint background check which takes months… and permission from local law enforcement.

No fully automatic weapon manufactured after 1986 and none not already owned by a civilian can be transferred to another party. The prices of these firearms start around $8000-10000 and quickly accelerate from there. Owing a fully automatic firearm is a long drawn out legal process and a very expensive proposistion.
 
Just watched the memorial from the coliseum. Missed it while i was attending class.

hokienationunite
 
If there ever so happen to be a shooter on campus and I sneak up and knife him to save the day, I'd say I learned it from Counter-Strike. I wonder what the media would say. :confused:
 
If there ever so happen to be a shooter on campus and I sneak up and knife him to save the day, I'd say I learned it from Counter-Strike. I wonder what the media would say. :confused:

They would scream for the government to ban all knifes and games ;)
 
Yep, and I believe you also need ATF registration for those.

Well, either that or a fine file and a very basic knowledge of triggers. Hahaha, jk!

However, class 3 firearms do not cost 3000$ dollars a year, I have plenty of friends with fully automatic rifles.

You're quoting the cost of a "Destructive Devices permit" which includes things like military grade explosives, rocket launchers, street sweepers etc.

Mostly only people who get their hands on these are movie producers.

The background checking for those particular permits are akin to what you'd experience trying to get a job with the FBI.
 
If there ever so happen to be a shooter on campus and I sneak up and knife him to save the day, I'd say I learned it from Counter-Strike. I wonder what the media would say. :confused:

You wouldnt do shit, someone start bustin caps out of nowhere in your classroom youll be so scared shitless.
 
You wouldnt do shit, someone start bustin caps out of nowhere in your classroom youll be so scared shitless.

Are you kidding? I can guarantee this guy has passed several murder simulators with flying colors. I doubt he'd even think I bet he'd just act out of pre programming.
 
I kill deer and birds during hunting season. If I was becoming the hunted, you can bed I'd act.
 
For all the gun owners out there please be aware of this:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022
Sign the petition to stop it:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348?ltl=1176854298

For those who don't know about the AWB and what it really is/was:
http://home.comcast.net/~silentbob343/AWB.jpg

HR 1022 is much worse than the AWB was. It sucks ass. Mark my words America, if you pass HR1022, you'll be well on your way to passing an all out ban.

Of course, none of the people in power really care all that much about us at the bottom so I don't see why we'd expect anything different.

I'm moving out of the country for 5 years or so... I think instead of selling my guns I might just take them very far out into the middle of nowhere on a friends property and bury them vacuum packed in some grease.

The US would be a disturbing place without citizen gun owners.
 
I'm moving out of the country for 5 years or so... I think instead of selling my guns I might just take them very far out into the middle of nowhere on a friends property and bury them vacuum packed in some grease.

The US would be a disturbing place without citizen gun owners.

heh, if that bill passed, then legislation would soon follow to make eminent domain go into full effect. Then the gov't would take your friends property and the guns burried with it. :p
 
heh, if that bill passed, then legislation would soon follow to make eminent domain go into full effect. Then the gov't would take your friends property and the guns burried with it. :p

scary, but true. I hope it doesn't pass.
 
My condolence to the families and victims. The truth of the matter is that Asian Americans aren't viewed any more differently if their national identities are known. Since the average White Americans do not know the cultural difference between a Chinese or a Korean or a Japanese, most Asians in this country are generally treated the same way. Now, the cultural and spiritual supports you get from your own culture plays a major role in your mental health. If you are growing up being marginalized by your peers and cultural surrounding, with your lack of connection to your own culture, you will go nut.

Why this kid did it??? Not a simple answer.

It doesnt matter if you cant tell if a Japanese to a Combodian, you just dont immediatly assume it was the chinese from china and then put it all over the news before positive confirmation.
 
I'm wondering if anyone else has read the plays the shooter apparently wrote for a class (they are, as of this posting, linked from a CNN article as well as others elsewhere).

I'm also wondering if anybody who writes copy for news stories and TV anchors has bothered to read them. I've seen and heard numerous descriptions of them as 'twisted' and 'violence-filled,' but only the twisted part applies. You can find PG-13 rated movies and comedies that include far more violence than the shooter's works. I can't think of anything Quentin Tarantino has done that's as un-bloody as these plays, but has he actually killed anyone? Not that we're aware of.

It's the twisted-ness that's the real attention-getter. The striking thing about the plays is the characters (I majored in English myself - hey, where are you going?). None of the characters is given any depth or motivation. None is sympathetic (at least, not to a 'normal' reader). The family in 'Richard McBeef' are all puppets, playing out extremes of certain stereotypical expectations given the situation they are in. It makes me wonder if he saw real people in this way also. If real people looked like nothing but antagonistic puppets...

Many people who gravitate toward English are highly creative and capable of great insight and perception about other people, but are also guarded and sensitive about their own thoughts and emotions, and tempted to dramatize real-world events as conflicts between good and evil. What if someone like that was all shut up inside himself? He could get stuck in mindset of 'me vs. the world.'

There was a time in my life where I assumed the worst about most of my peers and was not interested in having meaningful interaction with them at all; I'd shut off insight and perception, and petty conflicts seemed pure black-and-white. Can people who feel like that wait too long to pull up from the nose-dive into isolationism? I woke up and realized that I was being a supercilious !!!!!!!!. What if some people never wake up? Do we have a recipe for a killer?
 
I have been reading comments, about the shooter, from one particular teacher and I have to say im disgusted. Here are some choice quotes:

"I knew when it happened that that's probably who it was," Giovanni said, referring to her former pupil. "I would have been shocked if it wasn't."

"I know we're talking about a troubled youngster and crap like that, but troubled youngsters get drunk and jump off buildings; troubled youngsters drink and drive," she said. "I've taught troubled youngsters. I've taught crazy people. It was the meanness that bothered me. It was a, really, mean streak."

These are quotes from one of the shooters teachers, and frankly said teacher should be fired. There is a disconcerting negative stigma against people with mental problems or mental illnesses. Instead of trying to get this kid kicked out of her class, perhaps trying to get the kid help or talking to him would have yielded a different result.
 
No fully automatic weapon manufactured after 1986 and none not already owned by a civilian can be transferred to another party. The prices of these firearms start around $8000-10000 and quickly accelerate from there. Owing a fully automatic firearm is a long drawn out legal process and a very expensive proposistion.


I'm not worried one bit about those who lawfully posses Class III firearms. Out of all of the lawful owners of such weapons, there has only been a single incident, where a NFA firearm was used in the commission of a crime, and that was done by a rogue police officer, who could simply have used his duty gear instead.

As for the pre-GCA86 firearms, you can still get STEN submachine guns for well under 2000 dollars. The 8K+ tag is for high quality goodies. Just as a guideline:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx?ab=241
 
These are quotes from one of the shooters teachers, and frankly said teacher should be fired. There is a disconcerting negative stigma against people with mental problems or mental illnesses. Instead of trying to get this kid kicked out of her class, perhaps trying to get the kid help or talking to him would have yielded a different result.

I'm surprised that they didn't toss him out of school, based on his previous actions (arson, mutliple stalking incidents).
 
Most people would probably go into shock when they are being shot at. I know this because I used to be in gang fights where 20 guys tried to jump me. I pull out my pistol and all 20 of them ran like little school girls hiding behind cars and tree's. Now this guy started shooting in the classroom with no warning and NOONE charged at him to try to stop him because everyone was all scared shitless. Noone tried to sneak behind him to stab him with a pencil or anything. You guys act like your all brave and say u would have done something if you were in those students situation. Im telling you right now, your going to be different when your acually in the situation.
 
Back
Top