Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

you would have to touch the card under load, GPU cool very rapidly, after a shutdown its probably at idle temp already, they get really hot very fast and cool very quickly I guess thats how they designed

Well i just recieved my VX2025wm monitor yesterday from Newegg, no dead pixels what so ever, so happy about that. One problem though, while trying out Fifa World Cup 2006 and Pro Evolution Soccer I noticed a consideral amount of ghosting! :( Its drivng me nuts! Now i'm not sure whats causing this, but I do have a system thats aging worse than my grandma. Anyhow, i'm running it on a Athlon Xp 2000 with a Geforce 6600 GT. Now do you guys think that maybe my system ( lack of, should i say) be causing the ghosting?? All be upgrading my system at the end of the month. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Oh ya, i had the DVI issues at first, but the DVI recover fix that someone posted earlier fixed that :)

hmm, perhaps try playing your game on a CRT monitor and see if you think its ghosting there. Also make sure you let the monitor warm up some, it can also cause ghosting i believe. Your video card could just be outputing slow FPS and making you think its ghosting

Vashypooh said:
hmm, perhaps try playing your game on a CRT monitor and see if you think its ghosting there. Also make sure you let the monitor warm up some, it can also cause ghosting i believe. Your video card could just be outputing slow FPS and making you think its ghosting

To be honest, if you're used to a CRT, pretty much *ALL* LCD's will ghost. I've used 5-6 including those that are claiming 4ms and they still all have a little bit of motion blur.
Of the ones I've used, this one is one of the best as far as that goes, but it's still there and if you're used to a CRT you'd be blind not to notice it. It's all relative.
Once you use it for 3-4 weeks, I bet you won't notice anymore. I have LCD monitors and an LCD projection TV and after a month, you'll forget all about it and you won't notice at all.

Ya maybe its cause i'm used to the CRT. This is my first LCD. I'm not usually picky about these kind of things but the ghosting really stands out. There were no problems with the games when i played them on my old CRT. I have all the lastest drivers for my video card also. Everything looks beautifull on this LCD, just the ghosting is what giving me a headache.

layzie_b81 said:
Ya maybe its cause i'm used to the CRT. This is my first LCD. I'm not usually picky about these kind of things but the ghosting really stands out. There were no problems with the games when i played them on my old CRT. I have all the lastest drivers for my video card also. Everything looks beautifull on this LCD, just the ghosting is what giving me a headache.

My Sony did that when I first got it. The much higher resolution did, too. I ran Windows at 800X600 for a *long* time, so seeing all of the tiny fonts also likely had an effect.
The only knock I have on the VX2025 is that on a black page, any white fonts or objects seem to have a metallic shimmer. The Hardforum is actually a good place to see what I mean. Check out the thread titles.

Voltron said:
You using DVI, j3ffry?

Yup! Don't have other monitor or videocard to test it.. I'm hoping though if there's something wrong it would be the videocard... :(

Wow, Just got this and holy shit. No problems, looks like no dead pixels (I don't want to check, ignorance is bliss). This looks great, wow. :D

I jsut got mine today, I love this thing, Unfortunately I had dead pixels. but using a damp paper towl and gentle rubing and a flick or two they started right up. Thanks for this wonder full post convincing me to buy this huge monitor lol

Hi all, after reading the reviews on this thread I decided to buy a vx2025 from scan.co.uk here in the UK.

This is my first LCD coming from a Philips 19" flatscreen CRT, so I don't have much experience with dead pixels, etc. However the first thing I noticed upon switching it on is these marks (click for larger images):

As far as I can tell, they're not actually dead pixels but dirty marks underneath the antiglare coating. Has anyone else seen similar? I guess what I'm asking is should I try sending it back to Scan or am I just being over fussy? Is an online company likely to replace it over something as small as this?

I'm also hesitant to send it back as I'm having too much fun playing Oblivion on it :)

I'll also throw in my 2-cents of a review here:

It really is quite big; the extra screen space is very noticeable over the 19". With default settings colours are vivid, text is sharp and there's no noticeable purple haze. The 'pseudo'-backlight bleeding everyone's talking about is noticeable on a dark screen but it's not too distracting.

I also thought the anti-glare coating was going to be more of a problem than it is. I remember first seeing it on the Viewsonic VP930 and going 'eww' - but you get used to it surprisingly quickly.

Watching TV/DIVX/DVDs on it is also enjoyable. The nature of the LCD does tend to bring out the compression artifacts in the source but there is almost no banding present, so transitions between colours are smooth. Overall the image is a bit sparkly (noisy) but only when you're up close. If you're viewing from a distance - where I normally tend to watch DVDs from - it's fine. The benefits of watching widescreen format video on a 16:10 monitor far outweigh any of the negatives - it really is a joy to watch such content in this format:

aurac, I may have good news for you. I had one of those marks in the lower right corner of my screen. I'm not sure if this will happen with yours, but it gradually 'cleaned out' over time, and completely dissappeared. I'm not sure if that's a good reason to keep it, but if you're already leaning that way, that should give you some hope. ;)

aurac said:
Watching TV/DIVX/DVDs on it is also enjoyable. The nature of the LCD does tend to bring out the compression artifacts in the source but there is almost no banding present, so transitions between colours are smooth. Overall the image is a bit sparkly (noisy) but only when you're up close. If you're viewing from a distance - where I normally tend to watch DVDs from - it's fine. The benefits of watching widescreen format video on a 16:10 monitor far outweigh any of the negatives - it really is a joy to watch such content in this format:

Find a SuperBit DVD and watch it on this monitor... it's downright drool worthy. :D

Blue Falcon said:
Find a SuperBit DVD and watch it on this monitor... it's downright drool worthy. :D

Better yet find some High def movies "somewhere" and watch them you will absolutly piss your pants.

Noni said:
You on HEXUS mate? Give them a thread there and they will sort you out!

Thanks! Didn't know about that - it's not obviously advertised on Scan's site...

animasaki said:
I'm not sure if this will happen with yours, but it gradually 'cleaned out' over time, and completely dissappeared

Animasaki, how long did it take to clear? how big was it to start off with and did you 'encourage' it all, eg massaging...

psychoace said:
Better yet find some High def movies

Yeah I have a few high-bitrate TS files - it's pretty sweet :cool:

I tried massaging it, but that didn't seem to affect it at all. It went away in about two weeks, I believe. I honestly have no idea how it went away, but it just gradually started dissappearing. :confused:

I just got one...and myself and a friend tried it at work on his ATi 9200...

Sooo...what happened is we hooked up up on the DVI link, and found we couldn't get it to run at 1680x1050, even with drivers installed...(computer wouldn't let us select it)...then he tried to put it at some resolution well above what the monitor can handle...it suddenly went static (multicolored static) and then after all we got was a "no signal" message...

Switch to Analog, and it works fine.

Is this just the stupid DVI bug, or is this thing dead now?

Thanks.

OH - tried it on a laptop that has analog out...when at 1680x1050, it has lines of intereference running across it horizontally, that weren't there when we tried it on the 9200 later on...

rampantandroid said:
I just got one...and myself and a friend tried it at work on his ATi 9200...
Sooo...what happened is we hooked up up on the DVI link, and found we couldn't get it to run at 1680x1050, even with drivers installed...(computer wouldn't let us select it)...then he tried to put it at some resolution well above what the monitor can handle...it suddenly went static (multicolored static) and then after all we got was a "no signal" message...

Switch to Analog, and it works fine.

Is this just the stupid DVI bug, or is this thing dead now?

Thanks.

OH - tried it on a laptop that has analog out...when at 1680x1050, it has lines of intereference running across it horizontally, that weren't there when we tried it on the 9200 later on...

Maybe a more powerful VGA is needed :confused:

Problem: I cannot get the monitor to run things with the black bars on the side. No matter what i check for scale it to right size, dont scale it. It just isnt doing anything, its always stretching it to the full screen ;( Its an ATI card Runing Omega drivers with ATI Tray Tools. Any ideas anyone?

KenDawg said:
no. you need a new video card. sorry.
Really? Nuts...I'll just throw my GT in the trash...

But yeah, got home...plugged it in...worked immdiatly...

I love it, but two things that I see wrong:
sparkle noted by other people due to antiglare coating
colors seem washed out (any good fix for this? Monitor's colors are all maxed out...maybe digital vibrance on the nV drivers?)

Otherwise: no ghosting, no tearing, no dead pixels. Other than the washed out colors in BF2 (going to try Far Cry tomorrow to see how it looks...to an extent, BF2 looks washed out regardless of the monitor.) I love this thing...esp since the sparkling colors are something I can get used to...

oh...I DO have the backlight bleeding from the corners out...nothing that really annoys me, but its there. I'll try watching a movie tomrrow to see if it disrupts my ability to watch...but I really doubt it will.

Does anyone know if the Widescreen LCD carry from Geargrip will work on the VX2025wm? Im needing something for QuakeCon and their Widescreen model arrives on the 14th (this Friday).

i picked up a viewsonic vx2025wm last night and it is amazing. i just have one problem, and unfortunately i might have to return/exchange it, but maybe you guys can tell me if i'm just seeing things or not. basically it seems as if the far right side of the screen is a little bit darker than the rest (rest is pretty much perfect). the right side also seems to have a slight reddish tinge to it. here are a couple screenshots that hopefully show what im talking about:

screenshot1 (linked due to size)
take a look at the far right side, it doesnt quite have the same coloring as the rest of the screen

vx20205%20002.jpg

this one is just a blank mozilla window, but it looks to me like the right side is a bit darker than the rest.

what do you guys think?

You might try making sure there aren't any electronics or magnets near the monitor. I'm not sure about LCDs, but I know CRTs are heavily affected by those at times.

Of course, it may just be a faulty monitor. Sure looks strange, though...

You just posted a screenshot. That means we see whatever you are SUPPOSED TO see, so we wouldn't see the problem from that.

Then, in the actual picture of the screen, it DOES look like the right side is darker, but the picture isn't taken from the center -- it's from the left. If you took that pic from the right side of the screen, the left might look darker.

It's hard to tell unless you try another picture, this time from the right of the screen. Then, if the right side still looks dim, there's a problem.

yeah that's true kendawg, it's getting late and i'm pretty tired, which is why i wanted to get an opinion since maybe im seeing things. returning/exchanging it isnt a problem, as its the reason i bought it from a b&m, along with the sale price.

anyways, here is a photo from the right side. the first one was pretty much dead straight, i just had the camera slightly tilted which skewed the picture a little.

ss2.jpg

to me, both sides look a tad dark, with the right side being a little more. mine might even be like that but i won't notice unless i stare at a white screen

i'd rather not look that closely because i'm much more happy not knowing :)

haha i try to follow "the ignorance is bliss" saying as well, but some things i'm just a bit more picky over. i'm going to return it today, but since they don't have any more in stock i wont be able to do an exchange. i guess i will keep looking around and if i dont see anything else i like, perhaps i will try another vx2025wm. the only thing is i'm scared of this dvi issue people randomly have, and since i've already had one with a screen i wasn't too thrilled with, i'm also not too thrilled with their quality so far. like i said, i think i'm just too picky :D

I don't notice anything. Frankly I think you people are getting a little absurd in your expectations with LCDs. There will always be something wrong with it if you look hard enough. Just be happy you got an amazing widescreen monitor for a fraction of the price of other LCDs the same size.

I just got back from the store and for $455 Canadian I am the proud owner of a new 2025WM!

It was a great deal and I couldent refuse concidering I was getting it cheaper and from a B&M store. I have 0 dead pixels, I havent tested the blacklight issues because its daytime but it looks pretty good. I got no ghosting in CS and let me tell you CS 1.6 at 1680x1050 is insane! Its so freaking big, almost to big. I am going to have to relearn how to play competative CS now. I am going to fire up FEAR, BF2 GRAW and some other games later. Its gonna be fun.

This by far is the nicest LCD I have ever owned, okay well its only my second, but the 20" Wides are where its at. I was going to get a x1800XL then get this monitor, but I am happy I got it now. GO BUY THIS NOW.

Did you grab yours at bestbuy on sale as well sdk?

I just picked up a vx2025wm today as well, unfourtunatly I've got one pixel that IS acting up. :mad:

I posted in your thread, but I went to CanadaComputers. I was going to order from NCIX, but that was going to be 488 after shipping, and why buy online and wait when I found it for 399 from CC and I paid 455 out the door. + if anything goes wrong its only a 10 minute drive, and I am LOVING this LCD. Its amazing.

I saw some mention of a better stand for the Viewsonic VX2025wm here and I ordered a stand when I purchased my monitor.
It's a Neo-Flex by Ergotron and you can raise and lower the monitor 5" turn, rotate 90 degrees
it makes it great for Photoshop for me now. The base is actually a bit wider then the original.
The 4 small plugs on the back are for VESA mounting. I'll see about posting a few screen shots

rampantandroid said:
Think it'll work fine on my evga 7800GT?

im running mine ona 7800GT no problems.

bets lcd i have used so far, and i have use a good deal of dells/viewsonic/benq/fuji/samsungs/etc/etc/etc

Mine seems to have the same issue as t4t3r. The right side of the screen looks reddish and is slightly darker than the rest of the screen. Is this a known issue, or should I return mine as well?

Back